Episode 283

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Cool stuff! Thank you for the early episode, Aaz.

Although I was impressed by this episode, it has left me longing for more Griffith action. Yet, I can see Miura skipping back to Guts now. The last page of the episode had a finality to it. The "wind blast" scene was incredible. The imagery of it made Griffith look a lot more majestic, in comparison to the other grizzly abilities that might be at his disposal. His stragegy was well thought out! I would like to see him manipulate politics now, instead of just pissing over any battle he's faced with =)

The April release kind of sucks... but I have enough things going on in March to keep me occupied. Translations are eagerly awaited :griff:

Thanks for the episode Aaz!
Finally it's a satisfying issue to the battle ,the final showdown in Wyndham was something we all hoped for and that will happen (at least)...
The first thing is what will all the noblemen present there will think of their savior?even though a lot of them will be pleased because he saved them maybe some will ask why and how Ganishka leave (if they understood what happened before their eyes)maybe some political issue next time(that will surely be important in the time coming)...
About the episode itself I wonder what they are saying exactly...Griffith telling that Ganishka is unreachable even for his sword is indeed really amazing and give some kudos to the "great emperor" anyway I can't wait to have a translation but until that I'll admire Miura's artwork!

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Besides the obvious translation, what I really want to see around here is a coloring of that first panel. This episode had such dramatic and dynamic imagery, it would be awesome to see parts of it in color. I'm giving it a go myself, but this is my first time coloring anything on a computer, and its not going so well.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Now I think its going to go shift back to Gut's marry little crew. Yay! To bad we have to wait till April!! :judo: :judo: :judo: :judo:
It's pure speculation but I really don't think it'll switch over yet. I fucking love that final panel with Griffith and his helmet off, and it would feed perfectly into a Public Relations episode for Griffith and his "reuniting" with Owen. That's what I'm more looking forward to at the moment, anyway.

We also haven't seen how the Pontiff's involvement will play out in the aftermath of this battle. Switching perspectives before showing a little of that would seem premature to me. There's still a lot of debriefing that should logically occur here.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I think the earliest chance we'd see Guts and the crew again would be after some sort of meeting between Vitrannis' forces and Griffith. We're probably going to see some sort of alliance here. I think perhaps its too soon to announce Griffith leader of all forces, however should the pontiff and/or Charlotte show up I think perhaps we could see Griff act as Midland's leading commander (or something).

The pontiff is likely to appear in the next episode, no? thoughts?

Proj2501 said:
And yes, a bear DOES shit in the woods. :carcus:

Doesn't it tho?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
CnC said:
The pontiff is likely to appear in the next episode, no? thoughts?

I think it's very likely, actually. I agree with you and Wally, it's just a little too early to switch back to Guts and crew yet. Several things, namely the Pontiff arriving, need to be cleared up before changing perspectives.

I actually hope we stay with Griffith for awhile. I mean I love Guts and Co., but think about how much has gone on with Guts. Fighting Serpico, the tiger familiars, all the Daka on the pier then all those Makara, then Daiba and his water snake diety thing, then Ganishka shows up zaps him a few times, THEN he gets a ride from Zodd!!!, all in ONE NIGHT. The man needs his rest. Shit, I'm tired just typing what Guts has been up to. In the entire span of Berserk, we've been without serious Griffith action for a long time, I think it's better we take some time and see how things, the real meat of the story, will unfold.

But April..... :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with what's been said, it's too early to switch back in my opinion. Like Walter said, there's a lot of briefing that should go on logically, and we have yet to see how things will go with the Pontiff, Midland's nobles, and the representatives of the other countries. Plus Owen meeting Griffith again of course, that promises to be quite something.

On a side note, the final battle taking place in Wyndham reminds me of the "resistance" of the town. Locus told them to lie in wait, and I'm sure that's what they're doing. They'll probably play a decisive role in Griffith's victory when the time comes. I'm also wondering what Silat will do in the end. He has much to gain and everything to lose here.

Mad Angel Loki said:
The first thing is what will all the noblemen present there will think of their savior?even though a lot of them will be pleased because he saved them maybe some will ask why and how Ganishka leave (if they understood what happened before their eyes)maybe some political issue next time

I'm sure many will be pleased, and many will not. Aside from the Kushans' sudden departure, it's unlikely that leaders from foreign countries will be happy to accept Griffith as the leader of the alliance. And even with Charlotte's support, some Midland nobles may still be hostile to Griffith's rise to power among them. Influential people don't like to yield their power to another, even partially, nor do they appreciate competition. Griffith is a threat to their current position in the established social ladder, just like he was in volume 5.

Mad Angel Loki said:
Griffith [...] give some kudos to the "great emperor"

Maybe my previous post was confusing, but Griffith isn't really praising Ganishka. He's polite but not especially nice or anything.

Proj2501 said:
In the entire span of Berserk, we've been without serious Griffith action for a long time

Well there's a simple reason for that: Griffith isn't the main character. The only reason we saw much of him in the Golden Age arc is because Guts was in the Band of the Hawk. The manga has always primarily revolved around Guts' life, only switching to others from time to time. Not to mention that as the main antagonist, Griffith has to remain somehow distant and mysterious because it'll take many years (ours) for Guts to reach him.

Well, this is total speculation here, but I would like to believe that Ganishka has something in store for the Hawks that we haven't seen yet. After all, he tells Griffith that "I’ll prepare the most wicked lineup to receive your flight, the hawk." Granted, he could just be bluffing, but the fact that Ganishka was able to regain his composure after seeming utterly defeated leads me to believe that SOMETHING is left up his sleeve. I'm not disputing that he's going down, but simply how.

Also, I'm starting to wonder if a showdown between this many apostles, and a member of the God Hand, at the Tower (and site of Griffith's prior fall) wouldn't warrant something extraordinary, maybe even an appearance from Skully? Not based in anything, but I'd really expect and like to see some sort of fireworks, if you will.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
Well, this is total speculation here, but I would like to believe that Ganishka has something in store for the Hawks that we haven't seen yet.
I don't think you'll find anyone disagreeing with you on this point. Something's going to happen in Wyndham when these two guys go head to head - and I'm guessing it'll be as chaotic as their last dispute.

Not based in anything, but I'd really expect and like to see some sort of fireworks, if you will.
Haven't we already seen fireworks? HAR HAR HAR :troll:

CnC

Ad Oculos
bph said:
Well, this is total speculation here, but I would like to believe that Ganishka has something in store for the Hawks that we haven't seen yet. After all, he tells Griffith that "I’ll prepare the most wicked lineup to receive your flight, the hawk." Granted, he could just be bluffing, but the fact that Ganishka was able to regain his composure after seeming utterly defeated leads me to believe that SOMETHING is left up his sleeve. I'm not disputing that he's going down, but simply how.

Well I think he HAS to step up his game to pose any sort of threat in the future. What he'll do, though, is anyone's guess.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
Well, this is total speculation here, but I would like to believe that Ganishka has something in store for the Hawks that we haven't seen yet.

I think that's granted yeah. He'll be full prepared for the last stand and I don't see the Hawks getting out of that one without casualties.

bph said:
an appearance from Skully?

Doesn't look like him to intervene in such a case, unless it could change the outcome of the battle. He's more of a watcher, like Silat. He seems to only act directly when it's absolutely necessary.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
What's most exciting about this to me is that there's actually a potential end scenario on the table here. This promised final confrontation between Griffith and Ganishka in the capital at some undetermined time could be as straight forward as that, but it could also be a setup to gather the principles together for a final cataclysmic battle. It all began there like that 1000 years ago, it would be fitting that it end that way as well.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
I'm pretty satisfied with this EPISODE. I was not ready to see the demise of the main Kushan force. It would be somewhat tedious to watch them kill all 100,000 anyway, and it really leaves very little opposition if they died.

I am greatly looking forward to this "wicked lineup" Ganishka has in mind. The upright elephant familiars looked pretty badass to me. It will be cool to see Daiba go against some apostles too. He is actually freakishly powerful for an old man. He took a bomb to the side and a couple lightning bolts, while being soaking wet no less. The water snake was probably not the only kundalini they had either. Imagine if they have one to control the wind to protect Ganishka.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Well I must say I was expecting to see some apostles get fucked up, but disappointed I am not for the writing was very good in this particular episode, and the anticipation for this wyndham battle is more than I can stomach! other than that great translations Puella, and thanks for the scans Aazealh.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Serpico said:
It would be somewhat tedious to watch them kill all 100,000 anyway

In fact they're at least 200,000 from what was said in the last episode.

Serpico said:
It will be cool to see Daiba go against some apostles too. He is actually freakishly powerful for an old man. He took a bomb to the side and a couple lightning bolts, while being soaking wet no less. The water snake was probably not the only kundalini they had either.

Actually Daiba doesn't seem so powerful from what we've seen. He was mostly drawing power from the Kundalini to fight, once it died he was helpless. The bomb he took to the side also fizzled because the powder was wet, otherwise he'd probably have died or at least been mortally wounded. And Ganishka probably didn't strike him strongly enough to kill with the lightning on purpose, as he seems to be the closest there is to his right-hand. Lastly, the Kundalini was probably the only one of its kind, seeing as "Kundalini" is its name and not just a generic word for creatures like it. I do think and hope we'll see more powerful astral beings in the future though, that would certainly be helpful against apostles.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Aazealh said:
Actually Daiba doesn't seem so powerful from what we've seen. He was mostly drawing power from the Kundalini to fight, once it died he was helpless. The bomb he took to the side also fizzled because the powder was wet, otherwise he'd probably have died or at least been mortally wounded. And Ganishka probably didn't strike him strongly enough to kill with the lightning on purpose, as he seems to be the closest there is to his right-hand. Lastly, the Kundalini was probably the only one of its kind, seeing as "Kundalini" is his name and not just a generic word for creatures like it. I do think and hope we'll see more powerful astral beings in the future though, that would certainly be helpful against apostles.

I mean it more in the context of being an old man, I find his strength somewhat freakish. I wasn't thinking he could go hand to hand or anything, but for such a skinny old guy I was impressed. I know Ganishka's was likely being easy on him, but just for lightning to jump a few feet it would still have to be thousands of volts.  I'll concede it was probably something more like a blast of a stun gun rather than a searing hot bolt though. I like Daiba's character, for his craftiness as well. I am really hoping he has a whole new array of astral creatures suitable for land or air combat. I didn't expect to see another snake, but thanks for clarifying about the name. I wonder if it was him or Ganishka who actually rounded them up, and in what fashion can they access the astral realm to do so?

With the next battle being set up as the certain descisive battle against the hawk though I cannot imagine them holding back any of the powerful creatures they might have. I'm expecting to see some cool stuff. Ganishka's words make me think he has a few major unplayed cards still. The fact he has any confidence about a battle after this last showing leads me think he has some forces that are of much greater use than the Daka and lesser familiars. Alright, I feel like I have typed enough obvious and common thoughts. I am boring myself.  :serpico:

I liked how polite was Griffith to Ganishka as well. Of course, Ganishka gave him compliment first. How sweet of such evilish creatures as them.

Griffith looks more and more like young chick by the way. But I guess such are standards of beauty in berserk universe. I prefer Ganishka's design and nobody ever tells him he's pretty! *sniff*

Griffith is a threat to their current position in the established social ladder, just like he was in volume 5
I would really love to see some political intrigue. I love this stuff.

Griffith is like a smart cat who wouldn't catch all the mice, so as not to end up on the street. While Ganishka is still at large, nobles and the like gonna need Griffith and take him in consideration. And by the time Ganishka is finally defeated, Griff will establish himself among powerful elite already. Or something.

I would love to see more of Neo-Hawks soon. I am very attached to them.

Judo

Midlands finest
Serpico said:
I mean it more in the context of being an old man, I find his strength somewhat freakish. I wasn't thinking he could go hand to hand or anything, but for such a skinny old guy I was impressed.

Since his power lied in his magical abilities, I don't see how his frail appearance could lead to any solid inference about what he is really capable of.
His age and expierience could rather be seen as an advantage for him in using his magic.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Serpico said:
I wonder if it was him or Ganishka who actually rounded them up, and in what fashion can they access the astral realm to do so?

I'm quasi-certain that Ganishka did. Daiba actually says that he got the troops from the emperor (logically), and like I said he's not very powerful by himself anyway. He's only good as a fog-smoking subordinate. As for how they can reach deep enough in the astral realm, well Ganishka is an apostle AND a sorcerer, so I wouldn't expect him to have too much trouble with that. Look at how Daka are created, I'm sure he's got a similarly grisly method to capture such astral creatures. The Kundalini was also not much different from the Kelpie we saw in Enoch, only a lot more powerful. Maybe Ganishka "acquired" it recently, taking advantage of the merging of the layers of the world. What I'm more interested in is how he got it to cooperate with/serve him and even Daiba.

Serpico said:
The fact he has any confidence about a battle after this last showing leads me think he has some forces that are of much greater use than the Daka and lesser familiars.

Well, I wouldn't be too sure about much "stronger" forces. I could see a half-dozen astral beings as powerful as the Kundalini, plus a smart set-up and maybe even some new magic from Ganishka himself, but not hordes of secret super-strong creatures, simply because compared to apostles it's hard to look very powerful. It'd be cool to see more of the Garuda, and hopefully even a couple other new types of familiars, but I doubt these can deal much damage to the demon army other than by sheer numbers. There's another interesting possibility that I thought about yesterday: the transforming of all his human soldiers into Daka or similar creatures through magic. That'd probably be hard to pull off, but now that would be a challenge.

Cruella said:
Griffith looks more and more like young chick by the way. But I guess such are standards of beauty in berserk universe.

It's about the same as ever I think, he's always been a pretty boy. :SK:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Boy, I'm late! Thanks for the episode Aaz, I look forward to the final showdown and what Ganishka has in store for the Neo-Hawks! Great stuff, can't wait until April!

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
<< >> Yup this is my first post here...please don't eat me...

Anyone else wonder if it's kind of implausible that Griffith couldn't just kill him right then and there? I don't know why he wants to wait for a bigger fight. Maybe he's not as strong in his reincarnated form on Earth as he would normally be?

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
sarahofborg said:
Yup this is my first post here...please don't eat me...
First of all -- Welcome to Skully.net! :badbone: I think you might want to read a couple of posts by the key members of this forum: Walter, CnC, Aazealh and "Griffith no More"... they usually have posted answers to questions long before the other members think of them =)

sarahofborg said:
Anyone else wonder if it's kind of implausible that Griffith couldn't just kill him right then and there? I don't know why he wants to wait for a bigger fight. Maybe he's not as strong in his reincarnated form on Earth as he would normally be?

To answer your question, I think Griffith wishes for the battle to take place in a historical context. Also, look at the translations that puella posted for more reasons:

Page 13

Griffith: Will (can) you retreat (your army), great emperor?
Griffith: It’s true my sword can’t reach you.
But you can’t use your power in this wind either.
Griffith: We can’t take you captive, you who can transform into fog.
Griffith: But if you disappear from this palace, that large army can never be controlled again and they’ll just be at loss (disorganized) in vain.

Page 14

Griffith: I think it’s not a good time (situation) for both of us…
Griffith: I suggest you to have the final battle in the capital city. What do you think?

I don't think it's a question of him being weak.. it's a question of timing/strategy. If there is one thing we know about Griffith, it is that everything is done for a reason.

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
Hmm, I guess this is what I get for reading scanlations. The differences in translations are extremely different. *Kicks self*

I really don't have any questions, I was just lookin for a good place to chat about the latest episodes. I've been lurking a little bit, and I've read some of the previous posts in this thread.
I know my way around message boards, don't worry. Chances are you'll be seeing me a lot more soon.

I wouldn't mind making myself an introduction post, but I have yet to find where those generally are posted. Any help please? Sorry if this is off topic.

I literally just read the episodes a few minutes ago, I'll be rereading it a lot. Still, I find it annoying that Griffith didn't just take him out when he easily had the ability. I expect it's because he does have some other plans for him. Maybe he wants to literally destroy every single Kushan demon and soldier first. Who knows.
I honestly don't like to speculate too much...

Top Bottom