Who is the worst father in Berserk?

Choose one you think is the most horrible father.

• Federico Vandimion

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Zepec

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Midland king

Votes: 57 51.8%
  • Gambino

Votes: 37 33.6%

• Total voters
My vote is Gambino. In the end, he did try to murder Guts. Thats my only deciding factor. Whoring your child out or trying to rape them yourself kinda comes up as fairly equal evils.

Zepec is your run-of-the-mill Springer dad, unfortunately common any era. Vand is his classier equal. Neither of them did something as bad as the rape/attempted rape/attempted murder thing. Only so much of your mental health can you blame on your parents, though.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
I agree with Trashcan..I voted the Midland King too.

He destroyed more and more families just to have his daughter on his side forever. Pretty loathsome Man.

As Griffith said to him he has a meaningless existence, and thus he is useless too.

Black_Devil

Punos Rey
The pervy Midland king, atleast Gambino and the others knew they were garbage, the Midland king just abused his power rather than admit he wanted Charlotte's va-jay-jay.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Let me ask you people this.

What is worse? Living lavishly, being rich and somewhat repressed, and almost being raped by your father,

Or being the son of a corpse, fighting for your life everyday, being treated like shit by the closest thing to a parent you have, being boned IN THE ASS when your eight years old (Think about the size differences), almost being killed only to kill your own father, and then being hunted down by all the people you've known as comrades up till that point because your would be murder was in a position of authority and no one would believe you.

I admit its close, but one seems worse to me.

Luca

Happiness is a warm gun.
But this isn't a question of what character has had the worst childhood, just who was the worst father with the most ill intentions.

Granted, I dont think I could truly decide anyways :\ I'm not one on comparing people's pain, I suppose.

And I'd hardly call Charlotte's life a good one, though. She's privelaged and has had it compared to the three main characters, but she had a pretty crappy deal, which was why she was so willing to escape in the arms of her perfect knight in shining armour :griff: Being holed up by a father that you know lusts after you has got to be damaging, which is another reason why it's so natural for her to use escapism when it comes to Griffith.

Of course Guts had it worse, but I think the King of Midland is more , hm, let's just say repulsive and pathetic? While Gambino was just more cruel.

hmm the worst father. i would say that would have to be gambino. gambino didnt rape guts but he let donovan did and he did try to kill guts

I really don't think Gambino ever really thought of himself as Guts father, the idea of him one seems to have never crossed his mind the whole time.

Roshinu's father's abuse as I understand was due his not able to tell whether or not Roshinu really was his child, or the child of some soldier who raped his wife. In those days not being able to keep your wife from cheating on you was reason enough to gain disrespect from others in a village or town, it would seem more then anything the thought that he was taking care of something that wasn't really his own flesh and blood was eating at him. The shot of them as a happy family was likely on the days that her father was able to point that idea in the back of his mind.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Badass mode ash said:
Roshinu's father's abuse as I understand was due his not able to tell whether or not Roshinu really was his child, or the child of some soldier who raped his wife.
And that justifies his treatment of his foster daughter? :schierke:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Well it does not justifies it but you can empathize with him.

I still can't

In those days not being able to keep your wife from cheating on you was reason enough to gain disrespect from others in a village or town,

In what days? Berserk is a fantasy.

D

Duststorm

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Oh man thanks for clarifying that! Now I know i can beat my kids because they're not mine! THANKS DUSTSTORM!

What I meant was that I can understand him, NOT that I agree that it is okay to beat up kids. I think you mix up sympathy with empathy. If you read my previous post I said it DOESN'T JUSTIFIES IT. If you don't belive me look it up in the dictionary.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think we're missing the point here. The guy doesn't even have a face, I don't think we were supposed to empathize with him (I think that's asking too much of the reader), but with Roshinu's conflicted love/hate relationship with him. Again, that's just my reading of the scene/s.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I don't think we were supposed to empathize with him (I think that's asking too much of the reader), but with Roshinu's conflicted love/hate relationship with him

Right, Roshinu is the victim here, regardless of her fathers reasons. There's no need to feel sympathy or empathy with him. He's clearly illustrated as an ignorant asshole, thus he becomes one of our choices for worst father or father figure. I don't even think he's worthy of being considered as the worst father. He's not really evil, just dumb. I think you can find lots of characters like him in todays world.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Duststorm said:
I think you mix up sympathy with empathy.

They're synonyms. Anyway, I don't know why you people started talking about Rosine's father since he's not one of the original choices (Zepec being Jill's father), but in any case, it's not even sure that she wasn't his daughter. For all we know it could have been his excuse for justifying domestic violence.

Oberi said:
I don't even think he's worthy of being considered as the worst father. He's not really evil, just dumb. I think you can find lots of characters like him in todays world.

Then again, are any of our worst father choices really evil? Gambino was an asshole and a sad drunkard whose injury threw him into madness, Vandimion is just a cold, unloving and uncaring father, Zepec is like Rosine's dad, and the Midland King is a pervert, but after the one time when he lost it and got rejected by Charlotte, he never tried anything again, and her rejection totally destroyed him.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Oh man thanks for clarifying that! Now I know i can beat my kids because they're not mine! THANKS DUSTSTORM!

Pretty much just what I was thinking. I can't wait to adopt! Just think of the look on the child's face when I tell them: "I don't give a shit about how you feel. You're not mine!"

Walter said:
I think we're missing the point here. The guy doesn't even have a face, I don't think we were supposed to empathize with him (I think that's asking too much of the reader), but with Roshinu's conflicted love/hate relationship with him. Again, that's just my reading of the scene/s.

I agree, although I wonder how often idyllic moments occurred in that household, I would assume that it had to be at least on a bi-monthly basis. Just enough to make her remember it at a critical moment but not often enough to make her reconsider sacrificing her parents. . . . Then again, while I still don't empathize with her Father: She was just a kid and one with a strong escapist mind-set to boot. Not to mention that I wouldn't put it past the God Hand to sugar-coat the concept of a sacrifice:

"Your Parents will be with you always!" :void:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Anyway, I don't know why you people started talking about Rosine's father since he's not one of the original choices (Zepec being Jill's father),

I got confused. I mixed up Zepec and Roshinu's dad, though my comments can still apply. So yea why are we talking about Roshinu's dad?

D

Duststorm

I am afraid that people keep misunderstanding me. To make it clearer I understand how Roshinu's dad feel and what kind of person he is . But does that make him a good guy? HELL NO! There is not doubt that Roshinu the victim here. The father is just a pathetic narrow minded drunk who can't deal with his won problems so he bully his own daughter and wife. So for me have I feelings of pity and dislike for the guy.
Same with the King, he sunk so low that I can only feel pity and disgust for him.
Roshinu's whole family is just tragic so I have more feelings of pity then loathing. I have more a mix of them.

Just to make it it clear one final time. NO!!! I don't think you should beat up your kid or wife nor do I encourage it. If I used the wrong words or caused a misunderstanding. I am sorry for it. :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Duststorm said:
I am afraid that people keep misunderstanding me. To make it clearer I understand how Roshinu's dad feel and what kind of person he is

I think it's just your wording that's ambiguous here. No big deal though, we got the point.

Duststorm said:
The father is just a pathetic narrow minded drunk

Actually, nothing proves he was a drunk, unlike Zepec. Let's not be unfair to the poor man! :void:

i think the creepy midland king is the worst father but I personally hate Zepec the most out of the four available choices, he abused Jill :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
thepot said:
I personally hate Zepec the most out of the four available choices, he abused Jill :judo:

Well, he didn't abuse her sexually at least, even though his friends tried and he was oblivious to it.

I don't like the King either and think he's a cowardly loser, but I wonder how much trauma did he really cause Charlotte and how much was just her being an overpampered, spoiled brat. One attempted rape is horrible and I can see why it would destroy their relationship, but she wasn't exactly a small child either at the time (and she kicked his ass). It wouldn't be easy to bear, but I don't think it compares in the same league as the mental trauma that was caused by Gambino. We just saw little bits too, can you imagine all the stuff we didn't see? I don't mean to make light of it but I think Charlotte suffers less from one bad incident from her senile father who imaged her as her mother and more from Paris Hilton syndrome. But at least she wears panties and doesn't flash small children yet. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ironhand said:
I don't mean to make light of it but I think Charlotte suffers less from one bad incident from her senile father who imaged her as her mother

Her father wasn't senile, and he knew very well he was touching his daughter. The fact she resembles her mother isn't an excuse, it's not as if he lost all sense of reality for a minute and believed his first wife was back from the dead.

Top Bottom