Who is the worst father in Berserk?

Choose one you think is the most horrible father.

• Federico Vandimion

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Zepec

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Midland king

Votes: 57 51.8%
  • Gambino

Votes: 37 33.6%

• Total voters
D

Duststorm

Aazealh said:
Her father wasn't senile, and he knew very well he was touching his daughter. The fact she resembles her mother isn't an excuse, it's not as if he lost all sense of reality for a minute and believed his first wife was back from the dead.

Really I though he went insane. What kind of sane man would want to do that to his own daughter?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Duststorm said:
Really I though he went insane. What kind of sane man would want to do that to his own daughter?

What you're saying here is not disputing my post. Furthermore, you're oversimplifying things, as if slapping the word "insane" on the guy could accurately describe the situation. People can have perverted desires without being completely mad. You can argue that the king was deranged (he sure looked so), but in any case he still knew what he was doing, and to whom he was doing it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
First off, I AM NOT VINDICATING THE KING'S ACTIONS ... but Charlotte DID look like his late wife. :carcus:

I didn't mean that he did not know what he was doing, but I think his mental status had started waving goodbye a while ago. Its clear that the king was not the man he used to be. And you're dead right it is a bit complicated to just cast the word insane on the picture and be done with it. At its roots it is love combined with a lot of other emotions and problems. To be honest I'd rather not explore it any further than that, but a psychiatrist could probably talk half a day about it just from the little that is shown.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ironhand said:
I didn't mean that he did not know what he was doing, but I think his mental status had started waving goodbye a while ago.

A while ago? Sorry, but I think it's pretty clear the events that started it all were his conversation with Griffith in the tower, then his attempted rape. It's from then on that he started to wither physically and show some mental agitation. And even then, he didn't completely lose his mind either (he mostly just became obsessed with destroying Griffith and the Hawks to the point of endangering the country). I think what's being overlooked here is that while repressed, he probably desired Charlotte long before that incident. It's what Griffith tells him, and I believe he's right. Like I said earlier in this thread, why do you think the king never touched his second wife? It's because he wanted someone else, during all those years. It was just all hidden under the surface.

I have been holding off saying something on this. Voted for Federico Vandimion. Why, well the way i see, Gambino didn't even want Guts to begin with including not wanting Shisu to pick him up from his mother's corpse and so on.

Zepec was just another uncaring jackass of a father. To me his character doesn't go past his own self loathing/pity.

the King, incest is incest unfortunately, not that uncommon. all that could be said, is done said.

Now Federico Vandimion, seriously the most capable of doing the most for his family. Even more so than the king in my opinion. But instead, 'locking' them away in his family mansion. Prisoner's of aristocracy. But that's how i see it.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Skorne said:
I have been holding off saying something on this. Voted for Federico Vandimion. Why, well the way i see, Gambino didn't even want Guts to begin with including not wanting Shisu to pick him up from his mother's corpse and so on.

It's so cool to see that this is an acceptable excuse for treating a child as a commodity to be used and sold. Better yet, if I ever see an abandoned baby, people will understand if I just leave the lil' crotch dumpling to die. It's not my fault if I don't want it, right?

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I guess its the nature of debate, but you appear to be twisting his words quite a bit.

Just my two cents.

Forest Wraith said:
It's so cool to see that this is an acceptable excuse for treating a child as a commodity to be used and sold. Better yet, if I ever see an abandoned baby, people will understand if I just leave the lil' crotch dumpling to die. It's not my fault if I don't want it, right?
[sarcasm]
Assuming you are a narcissistic killer with no need for extra "weight", including the emotional baggage of your lover and an infant that you have to spend your hard earned money on that you had to earn by surviving battle.  Then sure, sounds reasonable enough to me.... [/sarcasm]
Besides, like i said Vandimion was the most capable of being a good father, which is why i find him the most horrid.  He is educated, well off, and influential in the country.  He had the most to offer to what should be considered important. Service before self.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Skorne said:
[sarcasm]
Assuming you are a narcissistic killer with no need for extra "weight", including the emotional baggage of your lover and an infant that you have to spend your hard earned money on that you had to earn by surviving battle. Then sure, sounds reasonable enough to me.... [/sarcasm]
Besides, like i said Vandimion was the most capable of being a good father, which is why i find him the most horrid. He is educated, well off, and influential in the country. He had the most to offer to what should be considered important. Service before self.

Well, it's not just you that my little tongue-in-cheek rant was directed at. Review the thread and a lot of people have made that excuse for Gambino already. I just don't get it I guess: Not wanting Guts, Narcissism, emotional baggage; whatever you want to call it. It's all still excuses for something after the fact that he was a horrible Father to Guts. Even if you can empathize with him for some reason or another that doesn't change anything or undo the damage done. His actions still unambiguously mark him as the worst father in the series In my eyes.

Forest Wraith said:
Well, it's not just you that my little tongue-in-cheek rant was directed at. Review the thread and a lot of people have made that excuse for Gambino already. I just don't get it I guess: Not wanting Guts, Narcissism, emotional baggage; whatever you want to call it. It's all still excuses for something after the fact that he was a horrible Father to Guts. Even if you can empathize with him for some reason or another that doesn't change anything or undo the damage done. His actions still unambiguously mark him as the worst father in the series In my eyes.

I wasn't taking that as being directed specifically at me or anything, it was just a little too inviting to be a smartass.
I don't get how some of the other members' posts have 'sympathized' either. That is beyond my ability to understand that aspect of reality to be quite honest.

By this point it's all about the individual's outlook to decide what makes what worse than other things.

But hey, these were some tough choices though.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I can't believe the majority still thinks that the king's subconcious sexual attraction toward his daughter that he cared and raised is worse than the fact that Gambino hated Guts, blamed him for Shisu's death, sold his body to Donovan, attempted to kill him, and left him with the guilt of killing the closest thing he had to a father. Intentions and states of mind aside, I believe Gambino's record of failures as a father is just longer than the kings.

So Gambino and the king are like polar opposites, one hates their kid for the sake of breathing :chomp: and the other one wants to bottle the very air that their child breathes and do a whole lot more :carcus:, which is really really effed the fuck up :troll:

Love these lil' icon thingies.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Finally something we have in common! :guts:

I never looked at it that way. I don't think Gambino hated Guts every time he saw him though, just when he was upset. He seemed to show genuine care even sometimes, but maybe that was guilt for harming him.

Hmm...well who seems to have more mental scars, Guts or Charlotte?

Top Bottom