Viz (un)officially cancels Bastard!!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bastard-am/message/2859

"I do the initial translation of Bastard and was asked to halt midway through volume 17. Halt until further notice. I'm not sure what that means." Viz is pure evil, and while I know that the majority of posters here dislike Bastard, I also know there are a few fellow fans, so I thought I'd mention it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Viz officially cancels Bastard!!

Well, I'm not a fan but I can understand how that would suck. I can't access the original post, but from what you're saying it doesn't sound like it's sure they're officially canceling it though... They just asked the translator to halt the translating process until further notice, which he very unprofessionally repeated elsewhere. That's not an official announcement.

Maybe they've just decided to slow down the releases since they're getting close to the part where it's stopped in Japan, I don't know. Just trying to think of this in an optimistic way.

Yeah, you have to have a Yahoo! Account to read it, unfortunately. But it more or less has to be, as they were being released at a rate of one every four months, so delaying it anymore would be a bit...odd, to say the least. Additionally, they were at volume 15 of 23, so at their prior rate it still would have taken two years to catch up. So while it's possible that it may be continued, Viz often just stops publishing things without bothering to announce it, which is probably what happened. Additionally, I've taken that quote somewhat out of context; it was in response to him making a post that basically read "How do you feel about the cancellation?", assuming that people already knew it was being stopped. Then, when people questioned the authenticity of his claim (having heard of no such news), he posted that.

This also happened with 3x3 Eyes (a Dark Horse title though) which I also read, so I've now been screwed over like this twice. Oh well, fan translators will eventually catch up, considering that new chapters come out at rate of one every two months or so.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

bph said:
Yeah, you have to have a Yahoo! Account to read it, unfortunately.

I have one but I need to register to that specific group or something, which I'm not going to bother to do.

bph said:
But it more or less has to be, as they were being released at a rate of one every four months, so delaying it anymore would be a bit...odd, to say the least. Additionally, they were at volume 15 of 23, so at their prior rate it still would have taken two years to catch up. So while it's possible that it may be continued, Viz often just stops publishing things without bothering to announce it, which is probably what happened.

Hmm yeah, in this case it doesn't bid well, but they could still be reorganizing the release schedule to 4 years or something. I guess I just want to be hopeful for you, but if you say they're used to cancelling stuff like that...

Quick question, I've seen the Bastard! episodes/ ova's whatever they are. They ended without a final showdown. Does the manga continue the storyline?

Yeah, they go WAY beyond that. The OVAs end around volume 8, so there are 15+ volumes to continue the story. Hagiwara has sort of written himself into a hole of late, though.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.

Maybe the threads name should be Viz (un)officially cancels Bastard!!

But it sucks either way, I'm not a big fan but the first five voumes where entertaining. It's kind of like a Japanese Heavy Metal, and if they are canceling it I'll be sad to see it go.

I suppose so; I think one of the biggest problems was that they didn't market it whatsoever, and that they would constantly delay titles without notification... It's not of the same quality of Berserk, but I'll still be sad to know that fan works are now probably going to be the only way its sees translations. And yes, that is a more proper title.

Top Bottom