Wonder Festival 07 Kits

Hello all!

As some of you might know, WF07 just passed (it was on Feb 25th, in Japan). Wonder Festival happens twice a year (once in Winter, once in Summer), and it's the biggest garage kit convention of Japan. There is also World Hobby Festival (WHF), which happens more frequently, but it's not as big.

Anyways, I recently won (as in 20 minutes ago), a brand new Guts kit that was released by Heavy Gauge. Here is what it looks like:

gutsheavy1.jpg

gutsheavy2.jpg

Although this pose (sword over shoulder) has been done so many times, I personally think this is the best/most dynamic one. I could be a little biased though, because Heavy Gauge is one of my FAVORITE kit manufacturers. When I found out that they released a Guts kit, I was going nuts!!! I REALLY hope they release a few more. In the past, they have often released a small line of kits for one series (ie, Street Fighter, Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure, etc).

Here is a link to their website: http://www.big.or.jp/~h-gauge/HG-HOME.html

Basically, you want to click on the links under "Topics" and "Contents". For those that are curious, here are the kits that I own from them (non-Berserk):
Jubei (Ninja Scroll): http://www.big.or.jp/~h-gauge/WORKS/JUBEI/JUBEI.html
Haohmaru (Samurai Spirits): http://www.big.or.jp/~h-gauge/KO/FILE/HAOHMARU1.html
Akuma (SF): http://www.big.or.jp/~h-gauge/GK/PRO/WORK/OOKUBO/GOHKI01.JPG
Ryu/Ken (SF): http://www.big.or.jp/~h-gauge/GK/PRO/WORK/OOKUBO/RYU.html

Anyways, getting back on topic, I think they could make an awesome Berserk line. I sure hope they do!

And with regards to other "new" Berserk kits, these kits did not debut at WF07, but they are still relatively new:

Headlong: Count Apostle (http://www.geocities.jp/headlong037/)
Count_01.jpg

Puck
p01.JPG

If you go to his blog, you can see a cool event photo pic.

Engraver: Mozgus Disciple (last one of this guy's collection I believe) (http://engraver.luluya.mydns.to/)
wf06s-syarin01.jpg

Sorry it's such a lame photo. I've seen a painted one before (the one up above is just a work-in-progress), but I don't seem to know where it is right now.

Anyways, I'm sure there were some more Berserk kit debuts at this past WF07, but I've been a little under the radar as of late. Hopefully, I (or someone else, Aaz?) can add some more to this thread.

PS. I'm sorry whoever I outbid for the Guts kit. I know it was another Masato customer, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a SK member. To be honest, though, I'm pretty sure it'll pop up again on YJ considering the kit was JUST released a few days ago. However, one thing to note, is that Heavy Gauge kits are pretty rare, and sometimes only release kits one time at a single convention. So if you see it again, don't hold back!

DirectDK said:
Anyways, I recently won (as in 20 minutes ago), a brand new Guts kit that was released by Heavy Gauge.

Congratulations on an awesome looking kit! Can't wait to see it assembled & painted up.

JIN

Yudanero...
DirectDK said:
PS. I'm sorry whoever I outbid for the Guts kit. I know it was another Masato customer, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a SK member. To be honest, though, I'm pretty sure it'll pop up again on YJ considering the kit was JUST released a few days ago. However, one thing to note, is that Heavy Gauge kits are pretty rare, and sometimes only release kits one time at a single convention. So if you see it again, don't hold back!

Nice pick up DK! Right on cue here be another one matey-->http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k43417115
Its a nice sculpture and a fine addition to any Berserk collection. I agree with you Derek that this kit'll probably be a seasonal (hobby season :troll: ) find on YJ. LoL at your consoling the auction loser. Its like a lion apologizing to the hyenas for taking down a gazelle and not sharing. Lions don't have to feel sorry. :chomp:
Btw I've seen it listed in item descriptions as either 1/8 to 1/9 scale. Hook us up with a clarification when you get yours Derek. Thanks in advance Jungle King. =D

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
Although this pose (sword over shoulder) has been done so many times, I personally think this is the best/most dynamic one. I could be a little biased though, because Heavy Gauge is one of my FAVORITE kit manufacturers.

Hey Derek, really nice purchase there, congrats! If you want criticism though, you know you can count on me. =) The face is well done but isn't much like Guts' (too generic basically), the finger on the artificial arm is bent at an unrealistic angle, and the pants don't fit those Guts wore back then in the manga, he always put them inside his boots.

Still, very nice kit. :guts:

Good thing you mentioned Headlong though, because I don't think we've talked about it yet. Once more it delivers. I love the Snail Count kit, I think it's fantastic. And it's faithful to the manga too. The Puck is also pretty neat, I like the fact new versions come out regularly.

DirectDK said:
Anyways, I'm sure there were some more Berserk kit debuts at this past WF07, but I've been a little under the radar as of late. Hopefully, I (or someone else, Aaz?) can add some more to this thread.

Unfortunately I haven't been following the kits' activity either recently, been busy.

JIN said:
Im all for variant colors but yeah.. an Ernest P. Worrell "ewww".

I gotta third that "ewww." :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe he got confused by this, even though this is Guts in the Golden Age: http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/merchandise/manga/images/09.jpg

Still, it's a stunning kit. It just has a glaring flaw.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Maybe he got confused by this, even though this is Guts in the Golden Age: http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/merchandise/manga/images/09.jpg

Still, it's a stunning kit. It just has a glaring flaw.

Well, the painting is each owner's choice, the kit comes unpainted. I do think he painted it red because it's red during the Golden Age anyway.

Hmmm I have enough Guts statues around so I guess I'll pass. Even though I like it it is nothing amazingly different.

I do like that Haohmaru kit. I am a huge Neo Geo and Samurai Spirits fan. What a tease though the pose is close to one of my favorite pieces of official art. For a split second I thought it was based off of this.

samrai_800.jpg

Whoops, I noticed I put two of the same picture up there. I forgot to change the url. Anyways, now there is a close up one of Guts' face.

Anyhoo, practically 2 or 3 hours after the auction went up, Grovel PM-ed me to give me a heads up. I had already emailed Masato about my interest in the auction, but that was very nice of you Grovel! Thanks! Are you looking out for anything? Let me know and I'll keep my eyes peeled too. If you want to tell me in secrecy, you can PM me. =)

JIN said:
Nice pick up DK! Right on cue here be another one matey-->http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k43417115
Its a nice sculpture and a fine addition to any Berserk collection. I agree with you Derek that this kit'll probably be a seasonal (hobby season :troll: ) find on YJ. LoL at your consoling the auction loser. Its like a lion apologizing to the hyenas for taking down a gazelle and not sharing. Lions don't have to feel sorry. :chomp:
Btw I've seen it listed in item descriptions as either 1/8 to 1/9 scale. Hook us up with a clarification when you get yours Derek. Thanks in advance Jungle King. =D

JIN!!! I've missed you. :judo: Got any new stuff lately? I know you must have! Keep us posted. =) And nice find on the new auction. If I was smart, I would have waited for the second auction (tip: 1st time auctions after hobby festivals always end higher), but I go through this problem EVERY time. Be patient and wait for another one to pop up, or don't take any chances and seize the moment! It's happened to me 3 times, where I made the right decision (twice I bought something that I have yet to see pop up again on YJ, and once I DIDN'T BUY SOMETHING AND IT HASN'T POPPED UP AGAIN IN 2 YEARS). But unfortunately, there have been MANY MORE TIMES, where I bought something right away, and then it popped up again and ended for much cheaper. With this Heavy Gauge one, I couldn't take the risk! Haha. For me, it means twice as much for me (it adds to my Heavy Gauge collection, and it adds to my Berserk collection). :beast:

In regards to the scale... well judging from the pic...

d_19721109-img600x450-1172589899img_1686.jpg

... if you look on the right side of the picture, you can see the Ryu kit standing there. I own that Ryu kit and I believe it's a "non-scale". But if I were to label it something else, I would say it's a little bit smaller than a 1/8 if not 1/8. And judging by how they size up to each other in the pic, it looks like Guts is slightly taller than Ryu? What do you think? I guess it's safe to say that Guts is at least 1/8 scale. I will definitely let you know when I get it, though. =) I wonder when Masato's next shipping date is, hehe.

CnC said:
Red cape?? ewww

LOL, yes, definitely, never been a fan of the red cape. I think one reason why painters don't like to paint the cape black is because it's hard to show detail and shading. With something like red, you can do so much. But yeah, when I get mine painted (which I might get after I have the Guts/Farnese kit painted next) I'll be going with the black swordsman color scheme. Or unless, anyone has any ideas???

Aazealh said:
Hey Derek, really nice purchase there, congrats! If you want criticism though, you know you can count on me. =) The face is well done but isn't much like Guts' (too generic basically), the finger on the artificial arm is bent at an unrealistic angle, and the pants don't fit those Guts wore back then in the manga, he always put them inside his boots.

Still, very nice kit. :guts:

Haha, yeah, his pants are definitely more loose at the bottom on this kit. I kinda like it though. Adds some flare, no? With regards to the face, I'm hoping the paint job can change that a bit, but amongst all the many Guts kits out there, I'm starting to forget what his face should look like. Which kit or AOW statue would you say has the most accurate face? I think AOW wise, I like the Magun face, and the original Black Swordsman/Birth Feast face. Kit wise, I like the Megatech bust, but I know ya disagree with me there. :serpico:

Aazealh said:
Good thing you mentioned Headlong though, because I don't think we've talked about it yet. Once more it delivers. I love the Snail Count kit, I think it's fantastic. And it's faithful to the manga too. The Puck is also pretty neat, I like the fact new versions come out regularly.

Yeah, seriously! Headlong is definitely the most consistent Berserk kit sculptor out there. And he's only getting better. I can't wait to see his 1/10 scale Zodd Apostle with Wings kit that he told me he was planning to do. It's been over a year since he mentioned it, though. Maybe I should email him, and see how that project is coming.

Maiku said:
I do like that Haohmaru kit. I am a huge Neo Geo and Samurai Spirits fan. What a tease though the pose is close to one of my favorite pieces of official art. For a split second I thought it was based off of this.

OOoh, that is close. Nice pic, btw. And hey, you know that Haohmaru kit is a true 1/6. I know that's your favorite scale! =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
DirectDK said:
LOL, yes, definitely, never been a fan of the red cape. I think one reason why painters don't like to paint the cape black is because it's hard to show detail and shading. With something like red, you can do so much. But yeah, when I get mine painted (which I might get after I have the Guts/Farnese kit painted next) I'll be going with the black swordsman color scheme. Or unless, anyone has any ideas???

Only panel/scene that comes to mind that sort of fits is the page where Farnese demands Serpico kill Guts (right after the possessed dog night). It was sorta windy there so it might match the stylized pose Guts has in the sculpt (man that guy just loves flowing drapery, don't he?).
I dunno. I'm sure there are more examples to choose from.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
And judging by how they size up to each other in the pic, it looks like Guts is slightly taller than Ryu? What do you think? I guess it's safe to say that Guts is at least 1/8 scale.

If that Ryu is 1/8 or almost, then I think Guts is 1/8 or really close.

DirectDK said:
With regards to the face, I'm hoping the paint job can change that a bit, but amongst all the many Guts kits out there, I'm starting to forget what his face should look like.

Hahaha yeah, I know the feeling. It's true we haven't had it easy on that aspect of things...

DirectDK said:
Which kit or AOW statue would you say has the most accurate face? I think AOW wise, I like the Magun face, and the original Black Swordsman/Birth Feast face. Kit wise, I like the Megatech bust, but I know ya disagree with me there. :serpico:

Magun isn't too bad compared to the others, it's the "least bad" I guess, probably thanks to the angle. I also like Guts: King of Falconia, I think that one's the best they've done yet (and at a smaller size, too). And I really don't like the Birth Feast one. As far as kits go, it's true I don't like Megatech's bust much, especially since it's much bigger than a typical 1/10 statue, so the details show more and more care should be put into them. I'd have to go with Headlong's Black Swordsman. It's not perfect, but it's much better than everything else done so far to me.

DirectDK said:
Which kit or AOW statue would you say has the most accurate face?

Aazealh said:
I'd have to go with Headlong's Black Swordsman. It's not perfect, but it's much better than everything else done so far to me.

I would have to agree - the Headlong's Black Swordsman is the most accurate by far :guts:

DirectDK said:
Are you looking out for anything? Let me know and I'll keep my eyes peeled too.

Thanks for the offer Derek! Only problem is, there is so much stuff I would like, the list would be massive. If there is anything specific I desire, I'll let you know - cheers.

Aazealh said:
I'd have to go with Headlong's Black Swordsman. It's not perfect, but it's much better than everything else done so far to me.

I know this isn't going to be very popular.

The headlong kit really lacks alot of detail in the sculpt. I think people here love it so much because of how well we've seen it painted up. If we had a pro painter redo a Magun or the original AoW Swordsman IMHO it would end up looking much better.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Maiku said:
I know this isn't going to be very popular.

The headlong kit really lacks alot of detail in the sculpt. I think people here love it so much because of how well we've seen it painted up. If we had a pro painter redo a Magun or the original AoW Swordsman IMHO it would end up looking much better.

I don't like it much either. It is very plain but I would go further to say it really doesn' look that good (representationally), either.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Maiku said:
If we had a pro painter redo a Magun or the original AoW Swordsman IMHO it would end up looking much better.

No matter the painting, the face would still suck on both of these. Seriously, the sculpt is just not good, that's where they're the weakest. And actually AOW's painting seems fine to me. Guess the perfect Guts statue doesn't exist yet.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Wow, not too much else to say, but thanks for the links to all these beautiful kits, DK! That Heavy Gauge stuff is just awesome. Slug count rules,too. When are they going to make Roshine?! :puck:

TheSkyTraveller said:
Wow, not too much else to say, but thanks for the links to all these beautiful kits, DK! That Heavy Gauge stuff is just awesome. Slug count rules,too. When are they going to make Roshine?! :puck:

Hey Emily! They do make a Roshine! I have one =). It's not the greatest kit, I admit, but hopefully with some custom work it'll look better:

roshinu.jpg

It's 1/10 scale so it should fit in pretty well with the AOW. The part I don't like about it the most is the face so I'm thinking of putting those bug eyes/mask thing on it instead (know what I'm talking about)? And of course, I'll have the whole thing repainted (add some design to the wings, and som more fleshtones, etc etc).

JIN said:

Hey hey. I just got mine in the mail today. It's a pretty hefty size kit. It's definitely 1/8 scale as its noticeably larger than the AOW statues. The sword itself (not including the handle) measures 8 inches, by 1.75 inches, so that you can already tell is pretty big! Really nice sculpt, overall. It's definitely one of my favs.

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w10580356

now THIS is the way to do it!

wyunngu00-img600x450-1187024793wyunngu_005.jpg

damn i wish i could go to WF!

(btw, WF Summer 2007 was this past weekend, so hopefully there will be lots of new Berserk kits!!!!)

Top Bottom