BERSERK Movie Posters

CnC

Ad Oculos
Re: BERSERK: THE MOVIE Posters

"Griffith No More!" said:
What problem, though? You're telling me those plants make him look unbelievable at a rather meager 6'4"? It's totally relative. He could be 10 feet tall in that shot for all one can tell, but people obviously don't think that way. Trust me, I watch pro basketball players almost everyday, where the illusion is most apparent.

http://members.aol.com/ron80045/images/running.jpg

Meet Wally Szczerbiak, he's 6'7", 250 pounds.
Does he look tall enough here or shall I photoshop in some "appropriately sized" flora?

I've got plenty more examples too, including MJ (who has two inches on Guts, and wasn't considered big) looking like Allen Iverson (who's 6' himself yet is considered a "little man"), and shots of Shaq standing alone in his LA days where he might as well be as big as Verne Troyer. Basketball players look normal and even skinny standing next to each other and we speak of them in relative terms (Kobe's not a "big man", he's only 6'7" afterall), so despite the fact we know how tall they are, we honestly don't really think of them that way. For Guts, it's the opposite problem. Again, it's all relative visually, and I believe mentally, in this case.

Easy, there, skippy. I'm not talking about Wally Szczerbiak, but the body you've put his head on. Sure, making his head the appropriate size to give the appearance of proportions similar to Guts is one thing. I meant the original photo of the cosplayer was of a guy who was shorter than Guts (or at least looked like it). I suggested scaling the background to compensate. You can ignore it if you want. :schierke:

Aazealh said:
Let me help by adding an appropriately scaled background.

you mask like a girl! ...funny pic tho. See!? he looks bigger now! :troll:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

All this talk wouldn’t be nessesary if Guts would just stand closer to the doorway...

gutsruler.jpg

Ready to rob ye olde shoppe of convenience.​

And I was going easy, you guys are just too casual. :carcus:

I know what you meant (the Wally image was just about deceptive proportions/perspective), but what’s there for me to ignore? Part of the problem is nobody has explained something technically wrong other than they “think” or “feel” that the guy is too small to be Guts. I agree, and more importantly, he's not to the correct proportions, which I already compensated for. Having done that, it doesn’t make sense to further modify the image based on the size and scale of the original proportions, which no longer exist. These aren’t companion pieces or meant to be compared like, “Hey, look how much bigger Guts is than this asian dude!” So, there's no point. To me, this is like comparing the Hobbits in LOTR to the real life actors, "They're obviously too tall!" One has nothing to do with the other.

Even if I did further scale the background, it wouldn’t change anything relative to the image itself; Guts could be taller, or he could just be standing next to a smaller doorway and plants. Same difference, and it doesn't say anything about his height. It's still all relative, and I think it's just a mental hang up on the funny asian man with the eyepatch (he's probably going to be bitching me out on here too in a minute =).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I've never even seen the original/cosplayer image, and his height here looks fine. The dragon slayer is our best reference point for relative height, certainly not shrubbery...

Why are people still debating this?

Griffith

Walter said:
The dragon slayer is our best reference point for relative height

gutsruler2.jpg

:troll:

Sad truth: I made that before you even mentioned the DS. :judo:

Walter said:
Why are people still debating this?

I don't know about CnC, but I just like arguing and making stupid images. =)

But, you're right, c'mon people, more posters, and I'm looking at both of you, CnC and Wally B. C'mon, show me how to scale a background, bitches!

CnC

Ad Oculos

hey you'll get no argument here. I was making a suggestion based on some earlier comments made about the original cosplayer's height.
It wasn't really a crit i.e you really don't have to do anything about it.

Its perfect in every way. moving on....

Griffith

CnC said:
hey you'll get no argument here.  I was making a suggestion based on some earlier comments made about the original cosplayer's height.
It wasn't really a crit i.e you really don't have to do anything about it.

Its perfect in every way.  moving on....

It's not that it's perfect or I can't take the scrutiny (that's more specifically what I was looking for), it's just that it's in the "DONE ZONE" for me, meaning it'd take a miracle for me to work on it ever again, or a damn good reason.

Anyway, I have the utmost respect for your advice on these matters, that's why I was pushing so hard, because I look to you for technical answers (even though I didn't believe there was a problem, in the back of my mind, "What's CnC seeing that I'm not?"). So, while you may have just been making a casual suggestion regarding the situation, I was taking it seriously. And I was more expecting you to criticize the lighting if anything (which I've payed more attention to because of you, BTW). =)

And while you're moving on... make another damn poster. :casca:

Sama said:
This realy cheered me up
Thanks to all of you for doing this, for being here and creating these pictures!
[flash=200,200]http://Thank You!!![/flash]
:guts: :serpico:

Glad to hear it, and feel free to submit something of your own if you wish.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Anyway, I have the utmost respect for your advice on these matters, that's why I was pushing so hard, because I look to you for technical answers (even though I didn't believe there was a problem, in the back of my mind, "What's CnC seeing that I'm not?"). So, while you may have just been making a casual suggestion regarding the situation, I was taking it seriously. And I was more expecting you to criticize the lighting if anything (which I've payed more attention to because of you, BTW). =)

Well, there really isn't much to crit on that one. damn good work overall. Like I said earlier, it was more of an off the cuff remark on a possible way to give the appearance of size. While sticking him in front of the solar system can work, I was thinking of something more subtle :guts:.
But that said, there isn't much to crit, as far as lighting is concerned. Did you put in the reflected light off the DS or was that there to begin with? It really sells it, IMO, more so than the scale would ever.

I'll try to preface my crits with level of severity in the future. But I assure ya, I love the piece.

And while you're moving on... make another damn poster. :casca:

I'd love to. While I was finishing up this larger book I was working on another 2 books came down the pipe. While it means more money it also means less free time. I'll get another poster in eventually, promise. I already have a pretty good idea of what I want to do :carcus:

Heres my one, Its not good because I did it in paint and I dont know how to use Photoshop :judo: I need someone to teach me :judo:

Anyway, I hope you like it

berserkteaserposter9dv.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Now that's definitely something I can imagine seeing at theatres. Good work Skullgrin.

Walter said:
Now that's definitely something I can imagine seeing at theatres. Good work Skullgrin.

Thanks Walter, Its teaser But I can try doing something better ^_^ I liked using "The threads of Destiny" Because I watched the English dub of berserk.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

Wow, good entry there Skullgrin. I agree with Walter about that definitely being a teaser poster one could see in theatres.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing

I like it Skullgrin :serpico: Although, the "The promised time has come!" doesn't fit well imo. It would be better if it was just "The threads of destiny have now been bound as one" or some other quote.

But still, nice work! Anyone else going to submit anything I hope?

Griffith

I like it as well, doesn't matter if it's in MS Paint or what as long as concept is sound and within one's means. Wally also wanted to do something with the teaser poster concept and I was thinking of something with the Eclipse, but you beat us to the punch with that one. Simple and effective, good work, Skullgrin.

IsolatioN said:
I like it Skullgrin  :serpico: Although, the "The promised time has come!" doesn't fit well imo. It would be better if it was just "The threads of destiny have now been bound as one" or some other quote.

It works for me, a nice little poetic closer. If anything, I'd just remove the exclamation point. Enthusiasm isn't cryptic enough. =)

IsolatioN said:
Anyone else going to submit anything I hope?

I second this motion.

P.S. CnC, I didn't add the reflection, just kept it for exactly the reason you stated (I actually removed it in one incarnation). Frankly, I didn't think the DS should reflect like that, but it sure looked cool. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

myposter.jpg

IN A WORLD...
where mankind's destiny is in the Hand of God
ONE MAN...
fights for revenge.​

CnC

Ad Oculos

damn nice work, so far, skullgrin and Walter.

Skullgrin I like your first one the best. Only crit is perhaps the blowing up of the image is a bit too obvious.

CnC said:
damn nice work, so far, skullgrin and Walter.

Skullgrin I like your first one the best.  Only crit is perhaps the blowing up of the image is a bit too obvious.

I didnt stretch out the Godhand Symbol, It was already Huge when I found it

CnC

Ad Oculos

Skullgrin140 said:
I didnt stretch out the Godhand Symbol, It was already Huge when I found it

I see, well its either blown up (same with Guts' face) or compressed too much.

CnC said:
I see, well its either blown up (same with Guts' face) or compressed too much.

Ah that, lol. Well I was watching the Berserk Manga music video on google video and I just print screened Gut's head to go on the poster, Sorry its abit Strectched out

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

Nice job Walter! As for Skullgrin, you're on a roll man, keep it up!

Chiba

Proud owner of a Dragonslayer

Wow awesome works!

Where did you get the image for the Dragonslayer from, Walter?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Chiba said:
Wow awesome works!

Where did you get the image for the Dragonslayer from, Walter?
From the forge in my backyard :guts:

PS: Volume 5.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Ravant said:
I really like the basic design here with the fog effect. However the Guts figure is a dead giveaway... Perhaps if you only showed a piece of it, or in a more realistic/dramatic pose? How about showing both Guts and Griffith. Other than the text at the top, I'm not really sure what kind of emotion I'm supposed to draw from Guts standing like that.

Top Bottom