BERSERK Movie Posters

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Re: BERSERK: THE MOVIE Posters

BOTH.jpg

Griffith

Yeah, he's not very pretty, but uh... this is supposed to be uhh, more gritty and realistic, no pretty boys in the Band of the Hawks. Unless you just meant he looks crappy, which is also true. :guts:

It's actually kind of still a work in progress (even the banner in my sig is different from that one), I have over 100 different versions at different stages, and I at least 50 of them could pass for "final." So, feel free to suggest anything, I'll likely try it and update at this point.

P.S. The iffyist part for me is Guts face, specifically his chin and neck, I went with what I felt looked most like him, though it's certainly not the cleanest looking version.

CnC

Ad Oculos

"Griffith No More!" said:
Unless you just meant he looks crappy, which is also true. :guts:

nah. I meant it looked like someone clocked him pretty good. But I don't mind that, realism wise. The rags to riches applies very well. Plus it makes 'griffith' stand out a bit more, which makes sense in the story...

only thing that really stands out is casca, her face being dead on pointed towards you strikes me as odd.
Also from a design perspective the brand moon and castle seem wierd. Maybe just pick one, or have the castle be the background and the moon where it is. but those are just suggestions

But its good stuff. I laike it a loht

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Ahh, it's finally done. Looks great with all the elements here together. Unlike CnC, I'm a big fan of the Black Sun over Midland imagery in the background. And Casca's dead stare is appropriate I think, considering her attitude during this section of the manga (she was never really "one of the guys" :carcus: :guts: :judo:)

As far as design goes, this one shaped up to be the most realistic poster as far as Hollywood poster designs go. Great work duder.

CnC

Ad Oculos

'unlike cnc"? pishaw . I love it, really. was just making some minor suggestions. no real need to do anything. (didn't we have this debate before? -oh shit... EVERYONEs HIGHT IS FINE!)

I really love the hawk emblem on Corkus. kickass detail.

Griffith

Trust me, none of the faces are right somehow. :guts:

Casca probably sticks out because she's the only one that's totally foreign to the original image AND she's had tons of work done to her from the source. I had to use a little of every trick on this, but mostly tons of clonestamping in photoshop. There's really no way I can get this "perfect" with my skill. I could start all over and I might do better or I could do worse, doesn't matter.

I'm happy by the reactions here, my biggest issue is with Guts' face, but it seems to pass for now at least, and the rest.. I'm done with. As for the design stuff CnC brought up, I agree, and I have versions with just an Eclipse (no brand either) that look classier, but it's supposed to be one of those EPIC posters cluttered with shit, like the new Star Wars and LOTR posters (also, I couldn't resist the BSOM tribute with the brand inside the eclipse). =)

Here's the source image, BTW:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/Poster%20pics/kjm-014_the_man_in_the_iron_mask.jpg

Thanks for the feedback thus far, keep it coming really, there's certainly a lot that can be improved still and I do plan to revisit it at some point after I get a little distance from it now.

P.S. As for the answer to the trivia question from the last poster: vlad was so close, those credits were from Terminator 2, and Mario Kassar indeed worked on it. You kind of outsmarted yourself with the Dolph connection. =)

CnC

Ad Oculos

As for the design stuff CnC brought up, I agree, and I have versions with just an Eclipse (no brand either) that look classier, but it's supposed to be one of those EPIC posters cluttered with shit, like the new Star Wars and LOTR posters (also, I couldn't resist the BSOM tribute with the brand inside the eclipse). =)

yea, I keep forgetting you're going for that look. in that regard it succeeds very well.

edit: I keep forgetting to ask. why did you keep "griffith's" hair color brown? why not the white?

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...

I think the biggest problem with Guts' face is it looks like its been smushed up against a sheet of glass... actualy that goes for Judo too. And if you could get rid of that hat... I can't remember Guts ever wearing a hat.

One of these days I should learn a thing or three about photoshop so I'd know what the things I suggest involve.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Majin Tenshi said:
I think the biggest problem with Guts' face is it looks like its been smushed up against a sheet of glass... actualy that goes for Judo too. And if you could get rid of that hat... I can't remember Guts ever wearing a hat.

One of these days I should learn a thing or three about photoshop so I'd know what the things I suggest involve.
He wears that kind of hat when he kills the other mercenaries while he waits for them TO ride off witht he money!

Edit for spelling!

Griffith

Majin Tenshi said:
I think the biggest problem with Guts' face is it looks like its been smushed up against a sheet of glass... actualy that goes for Judo too.

Good call, I already thought the lower half of Guts' face was 2-dimensional (and it was actually worse earlier in my fixins), but Judo's I can easily fix because I artificially widened it, giving it that smushed look, so I can just move it back. Guts will be trickier.

Majin Tenshi said:
And if you could get rid of that hat... I can't remember Guts ever wearing a hat.

Yeah, as Saiya mentioned, it's an obscure reference from this manga I like called "Berserk", there's even an anime. Try looking at those for the mysterious hat. ;)

P.S. The hat is probably my favorite part of the poster, BTW. :guts:

UPDATE: Guts and Judo have been altered. Judo back to as close to the source as possible (if he still looks squished, there's not much else I can do), and Guts just to give you a different look anyway; cleaner, if not better.

Tell me what you think.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...

Yeah, as Saiya mentioned, it's an obscure reference from this manga I like called "Berserk", there's even an anime. Try looking at those for the mysterious hat. ;)

I didn't claim that he didn't ever wear one, just that I couldn't remember it. :troll:

CnC

Ad Oculos

I think what majin's talkin' about rings true. (except the hat thing -I mean, cummon.. pay attention, right? :troll:)

Guts, Judo and Corkus have an abrupt change in skin tone at the halfway point in their faces. if you were goin' for shading I think you need to be more subtle with the change.

...Dolph Lungren really does look like Gutts...

Maybe Muira can come to America, Steal Dolph, Force to do a berserk movie =D...

Or we can steal him and force him into a berserk fan-made movie =D

Griffith

CnC said:
I think what majin's talkin' about rings true.  (except the hat thing -I mean, cummon.. pay attention, right?  :troll:)

Yeah, he was totally right (again, except for the hat, what a loser :troll:). BTW C, any suggestions or techniques for Guts' chin and neck? Also, I'm going to add more shadow seperation between his and Casca's face (by showing less of Guts').

CnC said:
Guts, Judo and Corkus have an abrupt change in skin tone at the halfway point in their faces. if you were goin' for shading I think you need to be more subtle with the change.

Ah, now this is the kind of stuff I want to hear! Yeah, definitely needs attention; it's one of those issues I learned to ignore along the way while I worked on other aspects ("I'll get back to it... really"). Thanks for the wake up call (now I just need to hope I don't make it worse =).

If you see anything else that's out of whack, let me know.

CnC

Ad Oculos

BTW C, any suggestions or techniques for Guts' chin and neck? Also, I'm going to add more shadow seperation between his and Casca's face (by showing less of Guts').

Hey, I did a quick (like 10 minutes, so its rough.... REALLY rough) 'paint-over' of what I mean.

guts_fix.gif

1st frame is the original
2nd frame is the edit

basically I just evened out the skin tone a bit, then I fixed the jaw a tad so its a bit more proportional to the face. then I did some quick shadow work.
skin tone was done with a lasso selection, feathered slightly and then used a HSB adjustment on that selection.
jaw was done with liquify.
shadows were done with yet another feathered lasso selection and a gradient to smooth the transition of the shaded areas.

It needs some work, specifically I would need to sharpen some aspects of the jawline (a bit, not too much) and bring back some texture of the skin. Also forgot to add a shadow to indicate the separation between the mouth region and cheek (that wrinkle of skin right next to your nostril, I forget the clinical term). Also the mouth position needs some work.
Just my suggestion... cheers

Griffith

CnC said:
http://www.mattbrowning.com/berserk/guts_fix.gif
1st frame is the original
2nd frame is the edit

What, I can't tell the difference!? :???:

:troll:

Interesting, I actually have a few similar to that (here's the chin just prior to my original post, you'll notice Guts' relation to a 2-dimensional Jay Leno), but yours is certainly better in it's own right, though, even properly textured, I don't know that it fits the rest of the style of the poster (of course, I'm already cheating with Guts and numerous other elements already). Very useful model for reference, especially in making it more 3D, and I think I'm going to just keep doing new chins and necks from scratch combining what I have now, the original, and your model (along with some other elements I haven't tried) until I hit paydirt.

And thanks a lot for the effort, man. Too much.

CnC

Ad Oculos

What, I can't tell the difference!? :???:

whaaayyy youuuu!

Interesting, I actually have a few similar to that (here's the chin just prior to my original post, you'll notice Guts' relation to a 2-dimensional Jay Leno), but yours is certainly better in it's own right, though, even properly textured, I don't know that it fits the rest of the style of the poster (of course, I'm already cheating with Guts and numerous other elements already). Very useful model for reference, especially in making it more 3D, and I think I'm going to just keep doing new chins and necks from scratch combining what I have now, the original, and your model (along with some other elements I haven't tried) until I hit paydirt.

And thanks a lot for the effort, man. Too much.

my pleasure. yea. like I said, I think the "texture" needed to be added to my edit. that includes the original "grit" of the poster. I just think that perhaps the change of skin tone was a tad abrupt (what majin was talkin' about). Only while workin' on it did I think, 'hmmm, perhaps the jaw is a bit too low'. I think Malkovich's (sp?) goatee was perhaps covering his jaw line.
anyhoo, great job nevertheless and a more than worthy addition to the hallowed halls of the berserk poster thread.

Keep on postin' that magic, everyone. cheers

Hi Guys and Gals. I'm Maddness, this is my first post obviously. I play around in photoshop alot, since i use it for work. So I made this real quick for fun, thought i'd share.

http://www.themindofmaddness.com/postersofar.jpg

Anyway, love the forums, I've been reading them for a while now before actually deciding to grab a username and post.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Maddness said:
Hi Guys and Gals. I'm Maddness, this is my first post obviously.

Hello Maddness and welcome to SK.net! :serpico:

Maddness said:

Nice poster, but I have a remark concerning the title. You used the PS2 game's title, and thus it says "Millennium Falcon arc, chapter of the Holy Evil War chronicle" under "Berserk." Not a problem in itself, but it doesn't really fit the scene displayed.

Top Bottom