Symphony of the Night Xbox live

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I know, it's old news already! But the day has been set for Wednesday, March 21st. I highly encourage all Xbox owners who have not played this game to give it a try. (It's only 10 bucks) With a few added tweaks and unlockable achievements, this should be a great emulation of one of the greatest games of all time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, while we're at it, what's the highest level you can get Familiars in that game? I remember this was an argument me and Griff had a while back :carcus:

The thing I hate is that Castlevania X/Symphony of the Night on Sega Saturn owned the PSX version, yet it gets no love. Which version is the the one that is on Xbox Live, or is it a conglomeration of both?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
The thing I hate is that Castlevania X/Symphony of the Night on Sega Saturn owned the PSX version, yet it gets no love.

No it didn't. It had a little additional content but save for that it was clearly inferior. As for the XBLA, if I remember correctly it's based on the PS1 version. I don't think it features the Saturn bonuses.

Question is Castlevinia X on the Saturn? I assume your talking about a Japan port? Isn't Castlevina X also on SNES? Because I been looking for it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Question is Castlevinia X on the Saturn? I assume your talking about a Japan port? Isn't Castlevina X also on SNES? Because I been looking for it.

There are 2 games using "Castlevania: Dracula X" in their title: Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night. Rondo of Blood didn't come out on Saturn, and the SNES version is really bad compared to the PC Engine original.

Well, the only inferiority I can think of is the lack of transparency effects, but you could play it on a souped up Genesis Saturn controller, and Alucard and Maria were playable, along with extra stages. Granted, the sound was slightly inferior, but in a wonderfully Sega way. I'll admit that I'm a still a bitter Sega fanboy, though, so my now 10 year old memory of the game may be glossing it over. I wouldn't say CLEARLY inferior, though!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
Well, the only inferiority I can think of is the lack of transparency effects, but you could play it on a souped up Genesis Saturn controller

It's also got some slowdowns, it's jerky, etc. And I'm not sure it was just the transparency effects that were removed. In the end it's just less pretty, and as you justly pointed out, even the controller sucks. :void:

bph said:
Alucard and Maria were playable, along with extra stages.

Oh man, Alucard was playable?! :isidro: If only the PS1 version had had that... Anyway, Ritcher was also playable in the PS1 version, just not from the start, and Maria's game experience is overall the same as Richter, just with a Maria skin. It's not a very interesting addition. Neat stuff, but nothing big, really. The 2 "extra stages" are extremely small and save for some funny enemies there's nothing to see there. Again, nothing fantastic. Other than that, there's what? I think the fairy familiar could sing a song, and you got some items early that made the playthrough easier, you know, in case the game wasn't easy enough already.

bph said:
I'll admit that I'm a still a bitter Sega fanboy, though, so my now 10 year old memory of the game may be glossing it over. I wouldn't say CLEARLY inferior, though!

Yeah, this explains that. Sorry man, but I think the general consensus is that it's inferior. But hey, extra content is always good to take, so I guess you can hold on to that. =)

GAH, I meant Ritcher, the names switched in my mind for some reason. My only regret is that they didn't try to use the 4MB ram cart to at least give it an advantage in the sprite department. I realize that developing for the dual Saturn processors was a pain in the neck, but it could've really impacted the look. I'll concede all of your criticisms, but hey...

X-Men vs. Street Fighter was pretty damned cool on the Saturn right?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
X-Men vs. Street Fighter was pretty damned cool on the Saturn right?

Well, I didn't say there was no good game on the Saturn. I'm more of a fan of Marvel vs Capcom 2 on DC though. :guts:

CnC said:
I hate you.

Mutual :casca:

Walter said:
Hey, while we're at it, what's the highest level you can get Familiars in that game? I remember this was an argument me and Griff had a while back :carcus:

I forget if it was 99 or 100. I know I did it on my PSX copy. If I remember this weekend I'll break it out and see if I still have the save.

PSX version is leagues ahead of the Saturn version.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Damn hell! I don't check the boards for a while and the topic about my favorite game of all time explodes.

Maiku said:
200/200 achievement points :guts:
Hey congrats on that, but from what I've seen I could do most of those achievements with my hands tied behind my back. If I spent as much time studying as I did playing Symphony I'd be a surgeon by now!
Walter said:
I thought it was me and you who were arguing late one night about this in the chat room. Or were we arguing about what level the sword familiar transformed at? Anyway, the max for familiars is lvl. 99 and 99 exp, I think. The sword familiar changes appearance and becomes able to be used as an equipable weapon at lvl.50.
Aazealh said:
Well, I didn't say there was no good game on the Saturn. I'm more of a fan of Marvel vs Capcom 2 on DC though. :guts:
Once again, Aaz has good taste in everything.
And while you guys were on the topic of the Saturn version I have always been interested in trying it to check out the new areas. From what I have heard Maria, the new areas, new enemies, and few bonus remixed music tracks were not worth the slowdown and jerkiness of the Saturn version. I'm still interested in getting a copy just for collectors purposes. And I really liked the SNES version of Dracula X, while nowhere as impressive as the PC Engine version.
I'm very happy this topic is getting some action, this game definitely deserves it

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Familiars level to 99.

Also, I love the Saturn version of this game. Especially helpful is the fact that Alucard has a third hand (!) to carry potions and stuff in. :guts:

BTW, hi again, everybody. Hope I haven't missed too much in the past year.

I bought SoTN last week, and I'm almost done with my first time through. Shield Rod/Alucard Shield combo is so damn... cheap. I've currently uncovered 199.8% of the map and now I've got lots of hunting to do for the small percentage I'm missing... ~_~ Overall, definitely well worth the 10 bucks, too bad I'm going to be busy with finals next week :(.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mercurii said:
I bought SoTN last week, and I'm almost done with my first time through. Shield Rod/Alucard Shield combo is so damn... cheap. I've currently uncovered 199.8% of the map and now I've got lots of hunting to do for the small percentage I'm missing... ~_~ Overall, definitely well worth the 10 bucks, too bad I'm going to be busy with finals next week :(.
On further playthroughs, I try to never use that combo, and just use whatever weapon I find the most fun, regardless of damage. Were Bane and Alucard Sword are my favorites. Basically any weapon with a special move.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Graywords said:
Familiars level to 99.

Also, I love the Saturn version of this game. Especially helpful is the fact that Alucard has a third hand (!) to carry potions and stuff in. :guts:

WHAT?! Dude, you have three slots for items and weapons? So it is possible to have three Crisaegrims or Heaven Swords on Alucard at once? I think I might haveto check this out. Thanks for the info, nice seeing you around Graywords.

Edit: Merc my man! How have you been?

handsome rakshas said:
WHAT?! Dude, you have three slots for items and weapons? So it is possible to have three Crisaegrims or Heaven Swords on Alucard at once? I think I might haveto check this out. Thanks for the info, nice seeing you around Graywords.

Edit: Merc my man! How have you been?

Doing pretty well, just been busy with school and playing my 360 in my free time xD. Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the "third hand" in the Saturn version was a spot where only "use" items (potions, library cards, etc.) could be equipped that way you didn't have to equip a potion, use it, then go back to the menu and reequip a shield/weapon etc.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Aazealh said:
Hey there dude. How's Hawaii these days?

Hey Aaz!

Graduating with my Japanese degree in 2 weeks now. Figure now's a good time to peek my head back in here. :serpico:

How's it going there? And here?

handsome rakshas said:

Nope, the third hand is for items only, no weapons or shields. It's basically a way to prevent needing to switch out a shield or weapon to use an item.

Top Bottom