More Pirates!!!!!

I love the Pirates movies. The third looks like it'll be just as entertaining as the other two.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/piratesofthecaribbeanatworldsend.html

CnC

Ad Oculos
My initial response to the second movie was negative. I thought it dragged on too long in the theater but I really enjoyed it when I watched it again on DVD. So much for the theater experience.

I might just do the movie justice in waiting for it to come out on DVD, but I"m sure I'll see it

S

smoke

I thought the second installment was better. Less of this BS love story, more of an adulterous one. And better action. (Come on, kraken versus zombies).

This one could be cool.

I hope they find a way to incorporate ALL of the Rolling Stones in this one. They could be some sort of zombie pirate band, or something.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I enjoyed the second one on a pure popcorn-flick basis. But the majority of the plot was totally superficially driven, predictable, and not to mention boring. It didn't have all the laugh-out-loud, unpredictable turns of the first movie in my opinion. Just felt kind of weak on the comedy end. [hide]I also felt bringing back Barbossa was a cheeseball move.[/hide]

Then again, I should probably see it on DVD like CnC did before I sign off on it.

As long as this one has Chow Yun Fat, and of course it will, it will be awesome. Just so everyone knows, it's release date is: MAY 25.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Just emailed the wife about it... She went all hyper crazy Japanese mode..... :guts:

I am looking forward to it but chances are it wont be out till like December or something.. :judo:

Meh, wouldn't pay to see it. If our paths meet in some way that involves me not using my money, then perhaps but otherwise I saw the first two, I know what to expect.

The most appealing thing about this movie to me would be seeing Keith Richards playing Jack Sparrow's dad. Maybe they'll have a scene of him falling out of a coconut tree. ;D

cant friggin wait! i need a little eye candy mind drivel now and then... but some movies do go over the top with these qualities; ultra violet... i am still angry over that one

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Psymont 2.0 said:
cant friggin wait! i need a little eye candy mind drivel now and then...
I agree, however, the sequel really took itself too seriously, in my opinion. The first was almost totally wacky fun. The second... all I have to say is BOOTSTRAP BILL.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
I agree, however, the sequel really took itself too seriously, in my opinion. The first was almost totally wacky fun. The second... all I have to say is BOOTSTRAP BILL.

I agree completely. But Bootstrap's appearance made more sense to me than Barbossa. But I think overall they did an ok job of advancing the characters instead of just milking the original.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I don't even remember what I thought or said about 2, honestly (like, I remember the movie, scenes and shit, just not if I tolerated it or not =). I'm sure there was something negative though, because I do remember it was like a giant, but entertaining, run-on sentence with no punctuation at the end (not entertaining). BUT, while that sucked, I don't hold these pirate flicks to very high standards, so... YARRRR, SEE YE WORLD'S END!!! :troll:

I couldn't bring myself to see the 2nd one after most of my friends (or even those batshit about Pirates 1) came back with mostly negative thoughts on it. One of em bought the dvd a few months later so I decided to watch it with them. Well, after the "negatives", it was a "tad" .1/.2 better than I had expected it to be, but still thoroughly disappointing and overly into itself. And agreed, bringing back _____________________ was a really lame cash in of a retcon.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
I'm starting to wonder if I saw the same movie. Yeah, Bootstrap bill is as serious as a heart attack, but I doubt I'd be very chipper in his situation.
Aside from him, the second film doesn't take itself that seriously, and even when it does, the drama present is interesting enough to excuse it.

It's a big roaring swashbuckler film, and as such, hits all the right spots for me, with a heavy does of humour carried over from the first.

And well...damn it, I guess I'm the only one who thought Barbosa's return a stroke of genius...oh well. Looking forward to the next one, and Richard's part in it.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I think if you think these movies take themselves too seriously, you're taking these movies too seriously. =)

And bringing back Barbossa!? Bill Shakespeare would have never pulled a stunt like that!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
I think if you think these movies take themselves too seriously, you're taking these movies too seriously. =)
I disagree. I paid my $7.50 for action and adventure and to see a Johnny Depp cabob, not Barnacle Bill to get all weepy with Orlando Bloom. Anyway that was just one aspect of the movie I found pretty weak. It didn't ruin it overall. I just felt it made too much of a gamble with the audience. For those scenes to have any impact, we would have to care about the subcharacters.

And bringing back Barbossa!? Bill Shakespeare would have never pulled a stunt like that!
Ok Se~n~or Skepticism, what didn't YOU like about the movie? :puck:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
I disagree. I paid my $7.50 for action and adventure and to see a Johnny Depp cabob, not Barnacle Bill to get all weepy with Orlando Bloom. Anyway that was just one aspect of the movie I found pretty weak. It didn't ruin it overall. I just felt it made too much of a gamble with the audience. For those scenes to have any impact, we would have to care about the subcharacters.
Ok Se~n~or Skepticism, what didn't YOU like about the movie? :puck:

Aw, Ease up a little! I think if they had given the sub characters more screen time it would have dragged down the whole thing (Boot strap takes a moment from the hectic day on the cursed submersible pirate ship to reminisce of days gone by with his long lost son??). I think they hit all the right notes well enough (albeit quickly) to get the point across.

And stuff like the Depp kabob, huge 3 way sword fight on a water wheel rolling down the mountain, and giant friggin' octopus creature with fangs should best be taken with a grain of salt.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Speaking of the 3 way sword fight on a water wheel rolling down a mountain... did anyone else find that scene to be boring and drawn out? I mean, when you describe it like that it sounds awesome, but I remember being really bored about that time in the movie. I had some other complaints, but I wont sit around and whine about every little detail. In the end, I liked the first movie and some friends dragged me to see the second in theaters, and while it wasnt bad, I feel like I could have spent my money on better things.

I'll wait for more information about the third installment before deciding if I want to see it in theaters or not, but right now I'll probably hold out for a friend to get it on DVD or something.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
Speaking of the 3 way sword fight on a water wheel rolling down a mountain... did anyone else find that scene to be boring and drawn out?

I found the whole movie boring and drawn out after the island tribe part, with few exceptions. I think the alchemy between Johnny Depp's screentime versus that of the others was lost compared to the first movie. I don't care about the girl and I'm not interested in her becoming the super sassy queen of pirates or whatever. And that shoed-in love triangle that ends in useless betrayal? Give me a break. Barbossa doesn't even matter, nobody dies and deep down the bad guys are good guys too, I just didn't find things all that interesting. Even the evil seafood pirates didn't feel all that original compared to Barbossa's skeleton crew to me. They're just zombies with seaweed on their faces.

In the end though I don't care enough to bother discussing it. I could still like the third installment.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
I found the whole movie boring and drawn out after the island tribe part, with few exceptions. I think the alchemy between Johnny Depp's screentime versus that of the others was lost compared to the first movie. I don't care about the girl and I'm not interested in her becoming the super sassy queen of pirates or whatever. And that shoed-in love triangle that ends in useless betrayal? Give me a break. Barbossa doesn't even matter, nobody dies and deep down the bad guys are good guys too, I just didn't find things all that interesting. Even the evil seafood pirates didn't feel all that original compared to Barbossa's skeleton crew to me. They're just zombies with seaweed on their faces.

It's like you read my mind and said it before I even had the chance. :judo:

All aside, I hated the second movie with a burning passion. Davy Jones was just laughable, I can't take talking calamari serious.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Scorpio said:
Speaking of the 3 way sword fight on a water wheel rolling down a mountain... did anyone else find that scene to be boring and drawn out? I mean, when you describe it like that it sounds awesome, but I remember being really bored about that time in the movie.

I found it entertaining just from the sheer scale of it. Actually it was one of the few parts I really enjoyed even in the theatre.

The first movie was great in theatres, not nearly as good when i saw it at home without the massive screen and booming sound, but still entertaining.

The second movie was basically The Three Stooges with a pirate theme.

I dont know about you guys, but I loved Davy Jones and Crew, the effects were some of the best Ive ever seen on screen, and I loved the overall design... very Cthuhlu like!

Man its hard to please some of you guys. LOL I enjoyed the movie a lot. I do think they overall got nothing done in the movie. It was like it was one huge build up for the third movie.

Don't want to get off topic. But May is going to be a huge movie month. Shrek The 3rd, Pirates 3, and Spiderman 3 all come out.

Top Bottom