Anyone interested in making a Berserk fighting game???

SlimJ87D

Apollo
I hope you guys have heard of Mugen, it's a neat system to make fighting characters and stick them together. But I was wondering if anyone was interested in making Berserk fighting game.

We can have all the elite apostles like Zodd, Irvine, etc... Young Guts, Adult Guts, Blackswordsman, Guts in Berserk Armor, Skullknight, God hand members, and more. It would be so awesome, but it would be a huge project, kind of hard.

I've never worked with Mugen, but I'm currently getting a copy with 800 characters. People have made characters like Carnage, black spider-man, superman, etc... and encorporated it intoa Marvel vs Capcom style fighting game. Here is a video of Mugen in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4KFWw3lhdM

and you can look up more on the wikipedia.

Hope people are interested.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lith's one wasn't quite on Mugen's level though. :guts: Anyway I'm all for it, though to be honest I personally don't care much for such a project at the time (and I don't have time to help with it either). I'd prefer a smaller, simpler flash game hosted on SK.net and exclusive to it. Less ambitious but far easier to develop quickly and effectively if the proper people were involved. A Mugen-based project requires quite a bit of resources and competences and frankly I'm not sure it could go anywhere currently.

SlimJ87D

Apollo
hmmm, well maybe I should go on MUGEN forums and ask someone that might read Berserk to do it. And i'll offer to buy them something from an online store.

but firdt i'll see how the stuff works, they have mugen tutorials on youtube. If I can get all this done somehow, I'll host it somewhere and give it to you guys.

Sorry to be so negative, but you're wasting your time. I've been within the M.U.G.E.N community for a good solid year+ now, and have spent half that time searching and questioning notable creators if they would ever consider doing Berserk. Even the ones who replied positive eventually gave up on it or got too busy. Given I didn't attempt to beg plead or shower them with money so much as suggest, but the closest thing I have ever seen was a sprite of Sagat mapped to Guts. Also, I personally don't just want a "BERSERK THE FIGHTING GAME!" and see a lackluster attempt by someone who had a little free time, I'm picky enough when it comes to getting a char. that is far too unbalanced or useless that even my fandom can't accept, so if anybody wanted to do it, I'd hope they were fluent in both Berserk -and- MUGEN creations.

Anyways enough talk, the best community I found was the MUGEN infantry, but I haven't posted there in months. Forget the website, but google should turn it up nicely.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
But IF someone would take a Marvel Vs Capcom 2 build, get CNC to do the back drops, and replace all (was it 54?) characters with a Berserk character/monster/villian, it would be 2D gaming heaven! IMHO.

Locus of Agony said:
But IF someone would take a Marvel Vs Capcom 2 build, get CNC to do the back drops, and replace all (was it 54?) characters with a Berserk character/monster/villian, it would be 2D gaming heaven! IMHO.
would take years, lest they're just doing a palette swap for all the MvC2 characters. Anyways, I must digress to preferring a balanced Berserk fighter than one like MvC2 (which I adore, but its not something I play for competition) with a lower character roster than an over flowing list. I guess we could kinda poke fun at a roster. First I'll start with the obvious and go down the list

Guts, Griffith (Hawk), Casca, Femto, Skull Knight, Zodd, Grunbeld, Slan, Serpico, Wyald, Roshinu, Ishidro and Gambino as a hidden character.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Sounds cool, though I don't really work with sprites.

It isn't a fighting game at the moment (or any other kind, though it may evolve to that) but here is what I am working on.

http://www.ninetenths.org/serpy_game.html

I am still building the engine before I really start with making the content, animation, etc. I will add Guts in there as well as the others. I am hoping to develope multiplayer online capability at some point.

updated: 3/30/07
Engine is about 15% done
Content is about 0.5% done

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I was actually rolling this around in my head. I'd offer to do sprites, but I lack experience with pixel art. CnC would take one look and tell me to figure out a light source. I'm also a college student and have somehow ended up with a rather large comission for a bunch of simplistic character sketches (the extent of my expertise at the moment). Perhaps over summer we could try our hand at developing characters and backgrounds.

Figured I'd go ahead and showcase info I used in my attempts at a few mugen creations,
http://mugenguild.miskie.net/forumx/index.php?topic=41715.msg430704
Fighter's Factory worked well for me, but I only dabbled around with a few sprites here or there, not so much custom creations. Backgrounds were fairly simple for me, but creating a sprite from scratch was a definite no no . I did come up with some nifty edits/moves/balancing (nothing berserk related) so I'm sure someone who's more comp savy than me would be able to pull it off.

Hello, all

A Berserk fighting game is a really great idea. Im actually surprised something like that hasn't come out in Japan yet.

I was thinking about doing something like this over the summer actually. I checked out some of the Mugen tutorials on youtube and I think it's doable. If not, whatever. I think it's worth a shot though.

Dirty Dog

I think a Berserk fighting game would be cool, but at the same time, fighting games tend to be repetitive and boring after awhile.
I'm not sure what the capabilities of Mugen are, but what would be awesome is if it had a story mode (which you would use to unlock new characters) and a V.S. mode, which would allow you to connect with other players online and fight against them (either through a peer-to-peer connection or a server program someone is hosting). What'd be even more awesome is a simple MUD that plays like a fighter game, but I'm almost certain that'd be outside of Mugen's limits.

anyway, I suck with graphics so I wouldn't really be any help if you're going to use Mugen (or a similar program) to make the game, but best of luck to those who are working on it. :guts:

I was thinking mainly of simply creating my own berserk character(s) to use within mugen. I was thinking something like mimicing akuma from street fighter 3rd strike for a zodd character. some of the punches and kicks i think would work well. that would be one of the only characters i would think wouldnt have to be worked out entirely from scratch. unfortunately i dont think i have the time to make a berserk fighting game and im glad it hasnt been done because i dont think it would serve the series well. but as far as mugen goes i think it would be pretty cool and i dont see why not.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Well, it would definitely be fun. My own Flash game stalled out because I'm SO far out of my depth trying to create the engine to run it; I was mostly just guessing. I knew when I'd created chars you could move around, a hit that worked, and a life bar that ended the game, and was shocked that they actually functioned at all, that I'd never be able to make it more than a 'token effort' game.

Now, if anyone can write or steal the muscle of a Flash fighting game, I can definitely provide some sprites. I mainly need some engine that I can set up useful hit tests and actually assign damage levels - unlike in my game, where you could hit anything on the sprite to do damage (hitting a hat or a weapon resulted in damage) and it was just one frame of damage for one frame of hit, leaving all slashing attacks to do weeny amounts of damage.

Now, there must BE simple ways to do this, cause I've seen some decent fighting games in Flash. I can only assume they had expensive development tools to help, or they were geeeeeniuses. Mine was mostly reverse engineered from a very mediocre tutorial.

But Mugen is just plain overkill. If any of you can get even one Berserk sprite working in Mugen, I'll hop on board and help. (Read: none of you will get one Berserk sprite working in Mugen.)

ETA: Um, didn't mean to sound quite so much like a dick. I do of course encourage creative efforts all and sundry.

Top Bottom