New default theme - SKnet 2.0 - BOLD new era

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the forum theme that will take the place of the old one. It's something I've worked on throughout this week, most of which was spent fine-tuning small details.

This is the theme I've always wanted to create for SKnet, something really impressive, yet simplistic and not gimmicky. As you can see, it retains many of the old features, such as the white/grey/blue color theme, and many of the page layouts are the exact same.

But this is a whole new forum software. There's several changes and additions to the features available. Here's a few I think are particularly cool:

inlineedits.jpg

Click this little doohickey to edit your post without having to load a new screen. It doubles as a spell checker of course.

searchbar.jpg

A search bar has been added to the main index, so now there's just no excuse for not searching for older threads. :puck:

recentpostbutton.jpg

Clicking this when it is lit up will show you a list of threads where posts were made since your last visit. Of course, you can always just use the new Recent Posts list at the bottom of the forum, but hey this is a new feature! :guts:

But let's be serious, a new theme is all about cruisin' through SKnet in style, with a badass picture at the top and glossy images for table headers. This theme certainly doesn't drop the ball in those regards.

The logo at the top answers the mystery pondered in the previous theme: What is "beneath the mask" of Skull Knight? As clearly displayed in the logo, SKnet itself resides within the ancient warrior, and he is constantly browsing the forum in search for a lead on the latest scans, so he can pinpoint the God Hand's location.

For those who want to be cavemen and not EVOLVE, you can always switch back to the old theme by going to your Profile, clicking 'Look and Layout Preferences," and changing your current theme to "Classic SKnet."

Enjoy!

S

Sanguinius

bph said:
Schnoz easily makes this the greatest forum theme of all time.

Quiet! The skull in the corner sees all, and it does not seem happy!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I think it looks great! The new features are pretty cool, especially the post-editing one. Good job, Wally! :badbone:

I like the new color scheme better. The darker the better. Most of my other forums are black or close to it.  :serpico:

- C

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Walter said:
The logo at the top answers the mystery pondered in the previous theme: What is "beneath the mask" of Skull Knight? As clearly displayed in the logo, SKnet itself resides within the ancient warrior, and he is constantly browsing the forum in search for a lead on the latest scans, so he can pinpoint the God Hand's location.

HAHA! I love it, Walter! This new layout is amazing and I look forward to crusin' SK.net in style! :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mage said:
I like it. I remember nearly being blinded the last switch (though my eyes did get used to it).
What, you didn't like the WHITE POWER of the last theme? :ganishka:

Hmmm... it seems SKULLKNIGHT.NET isn't shown anywhere on the board. I'll have to fix that. Any suggestions where it could be placed without being tacky? CnC, I'm lookin at YOU. :carcus:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Hmmm... it seems SKULLKNIGHT.NET isn't shown anywhere on the board. I'll have to fix that. Any suggestions where it could be placed without being tacky? CnC, I'm lookin at YOU. :carcus:

*everyone looks at CnC, widest lens possible*

Well, off the top of my head something to balance out the awesome pic of Skully could work. So something sharing the space with the "Hey _insert board member's name here_, you have x messages" - line.

In another related news I'm finding sometimes it won't show me the threads where new posts have been made when I click the button. Rather, it will just tell me there is nothing new when clearly there is.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
*everyone looks at CnC, widest lens possible*

Well, off the top of my head something to balance out the awesome pic of Skully could work. So something sharing the space with the "Hey _insert board member's name here_, you have x messages" - line.
Cool, I have an idea for that then. Thanks! We'll see how it turns out.

In another related news I'm finding sometimes it won't show me the threads where new posts have been made when I click the button. Rather, it will just tell me there is nothing new when clearly there is.
I think that's probably due to the on button not refreshing sometimes. Just hit F5 and see if it maintains the ON status. If not, there aren't actually new posts to view.

This happens because if you click on a thread from the index, and view it, then click BACK, the ON button will stay ON until you refresh. If you click on it before refreshing, it won't display anything because you already viewed it.

So, yeah. Retarded I know but that' SMF for ya.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
This happens because if you click on a thread from the index, and view it, then click BACK, the ON button will stay ON until you refresh. If you click on it before refreshing, it won't display anything because you already viewed it.

So, yeah. Retarded I know but that' SMF for ya.

Yea thats how it was before, so I'm aware of that kind of behavior. This is different in that there _are_ actually new posts but clicking on the button says there aren't. For instance it just told me there were no new posts in STB when you posted a reply to my post in the 28 weeks later thread.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Yea thats how it was before, so I'm aware of that kind of behavior. This is different in that there _are_ actually new posts but clicking on the button says there aren't. For instance it just told me there were no new posts in STB when you posted a reply to my post in the 28 weeks later thread.
Hmm, well. I'll look into it, but at this point I'd say it's just a failure in SMF's code to not recognize new posts. Not sure how to fix that.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
CnC said:
This is different in that there _are_ actually new posts but clicking on the button says there aren't.  For instance it just told me there were no new posts in STB when you posted a reply to my post in the 28 weeks later thread.

I think the only time it does this is when something new is posted in the Shootin' the Breeze subforums.  It will only light up the icon when there's a new post in the main Shootin' the Breeze section, and not if there are only new posts in the subforums.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
It will only light up the icon when there's a new post in the main Shootin' the Breeze section, and not if there are only new posts in the subforums.

That's how it was before, but actually now it does light up when there are posts in the subsections, but clicking on it will of course tell you there's no post in Shootin' the Breeze itself. We changed the on button for the classic theme so it'd be more recognizable when it happens but I don't think it's been done yet for this theme. Coloring the button red would help distinguishing such a case (new posts in subsections but not in StB) I think. In the past it was only the subsections' names being in boldface.

As for where to put a "Skullknight.net," personally I liked it where it was before, in between the boards and the bars at the top (news and such). In fact, when you're in individual boards it still shows up, but not anymore on the index. I'd like to have it back, but that's just me.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
I'm always skeptical of changing around things that already work, but I have to say great job Walter. It's a big improvement, everything is looking really solid.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
That's how it was before, but actually now it does light up when there are posts in the subsections, but clicking on it will of course tell you there's no post in Shootin' the Breeze itself.

Ah, ok. :serpico:

It looks excellent, kudos to you for job well done, sir.

I'm very appreciative of all the effort everyone who contributes puts into this site, and it's reassuring to see things on the internet get updated. I start to get separation anxiety if sites look the same for too long, what with the ephemeral and capricious nature of electronic blahblahblah. With this slick and pleasing new scheme I feel reassured that skullknight.net will not leave me without its informed guidance on one of my favorite serials and that golden ratio of people saying intelligent things to people getting taken to the woodshed for idiocy that becomes harder and harder to find as more of the general population adapts to these new forms of electronic communication.

I look forward to basking in the reflected glory of your engaging and amusing discussions for years to come. Many happy returns, SK net.

Top Bottom