Episode 284

Re: Episode 284 (+ special preview)

Judo said:
Is it just me or is Charlotte looking more adult in this episode than before?

Yeah, I got that feeling too... Like she was much more beautiful/regal and an adult but that's probably because the last time I had seen her was pre-Femto, LOL.

She's definitely just a tool... And when her usefulness is up, I can definitely see Griffith either getting rid of her or just completely ignoring her/blocking her out of his life. If nothing else, I think she will somehow become very depressed or something because she expects this grand, loving relationship from Griffith and he doesn't see past her potential... Maybe she'll help Guts somehow out of some resentment towards Griffith for not giving her that romance she thinks she'll get?! :isidro:

Jaze1618 said:
would you please explain kanzeban vs. remix? I don't understand the difference
"Kanzenban" are like your usual Japanese comics... only better (and more pricey).
"Remixes" are like your usual Japanese comics... only worse (and cheaper). Basically, you can expect the same kind of cover/paper quality as the magazine the series was serialized in. I've never seen Hakusensha's remixes, but I'd assume they're no exception.
So yeah, these new "volumes" will be larger and have lots of pages (including colored ones)... but they probably won't look very good. Meh.

Aazealh said:
I'm planning on buying them all, I'm thinking amazon.co.jp should carry them.
I'm not sure about that, actually... Remixes generally have the same status as magazines, so...

www.sasugabooks.com is supposed to get them in at some point, I hear. No idea on pricing or anything like that, though.

Charlotte doesn't seem like very demanding girl, and after years of loneliness, then years of being terrified of her father, then Ganishka, few kind words and five minutes with Griffith will probably keep her orgasmic for months. In her present state, I don't see her being anything but perfect wife, she'd do whatever he says, then spend lonely dats dreaming of her hero like she did for years, while he'll be off doing his stuff. That's what she would probably get anyway, with non demonic husband as well. Country's in ruins, and she's obviously incapable of being the leader who will take care of things. Someone will need to make decisions and spend most of their time repairing the kingdom. Probably she'll be easily placated with "Omg Charlotte I missed you sooo much, too bad I absolutely have to run save our country some more, tnx bye." And if it's possible for reinc. godhands to have children, she'd have her hands full with that, too.
However, Miura is very good with character development and growth of his characters, including female ones - like Farnese and Caska. So maybe Charlotte will being to change with time as well? She might notice that something's not quite right with her beloved, as it is quite possible that she will grow, become more perceptive.... anyway, if she starts disagreeing with Griffith she's probably a toast, but I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. If only because she really has no clue how to run the kingdom.

CnC

Ad Oculos

Olivier Hague said:
"Kanzenban" are like your usual Japanese comics... only better (and more pricey).
"Remixes" are like your usual Japanese comics... only worse (and cheaper). Basically, you can expect the same kind of cover/paper quality as the magazine the series was serialized in. I've never seen Hakusensha's remixes, but I'd assume they're no exception.
So yeah, these new "volumes" will be larger and have lots of pages (including colored ones)... but they probably won't look very good. Meh.

What kind of paper is the magazine? By "worse" are you referring to paper quality or print quality? How do they relate to the current volumes?

I think these questions will determine if I buy these. I guess they'll be answered soon enough.

puella

Berserk forever

CnC said:
What kind of paper is the magazine? By "worse" are you referring to paper quality or print quality? How do they relate to the current volumes?

I think these questions will determine if I buy these. I guess they'll be answered soon enough.

I'll answer you in detail after buying them. Please, just wait a little more. :guts:

Anyway, here's my imaginative scene for the next episode.

Noble 01: Your fiancé? When were you engaged? Who approved this engagement?
Charlotte: Ah, well...

*Silence*
Voice: It's me.

The pontiff shows up.

Pontiff: I approved their engagement.

=)

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

That too is what I'm thinking will occur in the next episode. He's brought the head of the Royal family into the picture, and he'll raise them one Pontiff to seal the deal. Everything is coming up roses for our Griffith. I'm sure the Nobles will eventually show their appreciation for Griffith saving their worthless lives by conspiring to kill him in the shadows, or even something along the lines of a coup. It'll be fun to see them all go down, with the exception of Owen, naturally.

Thanks for the episode, Aaz!

CnC said:
Jeebus! The sheer amount of detail on these pages is astounding. This episode alone has so much I'm surprised it was ever finished. Simply amazing.

Well said. Each and every page of this episode was incredible in its own way. I cannot begin to fathom where he gets his patience from.

Role on April 27th!!

CnC

Ad Oculos

puella said:
I'll answer you in detail after buying them. Please, just wait a little more. :guts:

haha, well thanks for your sacrifice for the common good :guts:

And I completely agree with the speculation as to the next episode.

Uriel said:
I'm sure the Nobles will eventually show their appreciation for Griffith saving their worthless lives by conspiring to kill him in the shadows, or even something along the lines of a coup. It'll be fun to see them all go down, with the exception of Owen, naturally.

I'd kind of like to entertain the thought of a role reversal from the last time around. I think the nobles could follow Griff, if only to be a part of the new leadership (opportunistic), and Owen and Raban maintaining the rationality they've always had and seeing a potential threat in Griffith's leadership- either in how controlling Griffith is (tyrant) or the fact that he's followed by demons.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Cruella said:
I don't see her being anything but perfect wife, she'd do whatever he says, then spend lonely dats dreaming of her hero like she did for years, while he'll be off doing his stuff. That's what she would probably get anyway, with non demonic husband as well. Country's in ruins, and she's obviously incapable of being the leader who will take care of things. Someone will need to make decisions and spend most of their time repairing the kingdom. Probably she'll be easily placated with "Omg Charlotte I missed you sooo much, too bad I absolutely have to run save our country some more, tnx bye."

If only because she really has no clue how to run the kingdom.
How do you know that? I think you're really selling Charlotte short here, just because she has a crush on Griffith doesn't make her a drooling vegetable.

She was raised as a princess, and clearly has the manners and speech to deal with nobles. I sincerely doubt she'd be a completely incapable leader.

I'd kind of like to entertain the thought of a role reversal from the last time around. I think the nobles could follow Griff, if only to be a part of the new leadership (opportunistic), and Owen and Raban maintaining the rationality they've always had and seeing a potential threat in Griffith's leadership- either in how controlling Griffith is (tyrant) or the fact that he's followed by demons.
IMHO they'll have little choice but to follow him, especially once the Pontiff comes into play. Sure they won't like it much and will probably try to do something about it but even while he was human Griffith dealt with them rather mercilessly I'd just love to see what he'd do this time round. Also Owen seems to notice that something is off, he struck me as a smart fellow but it's unsure how he'd react if/when he confirms his apparent suspicion. I mean would he join in with the other nobles or not reveal himself until a better opportunity shows itself. It's nice to see that Charlotte seems to be a little more confident, perhaps being around Griffith boosted her self esteem and could lead to more growth on her behalf, oh the possibilities!

First of all, thanks for upload of the new episode. I'm personally interested as to how Griffith will be handling the Nobles in the upcoming episodes, esp. those that obviously show disdain for him. Obviously we're all pretty certain (if not definitely sure) that Griffith will gain the upper hand over the Midland Nobles - but I'm curious if this will lead to more of the cunning, underhanded ploys Griffith used in the early volumes to dispatch any nobles that stand against him, or, now that he isn't the young (or younger, perhaps), unknown upstart, will he just use his pwer to just out and out dismiss them.

As for the discussion on Charlotte, in my opinion, I feel that while she will have the love of the people and she isn't just a vapid smile but actually a character that acts with intelligence and grace, I also don't see her becoming much of a obstacle for Griffith's goals. In fact, this more reminds me of Lord Gennon, just means to an end. While I don't see her being tossed aside like nothing, I feel she will give Griffith leverage twofold. First, as a way to keep the Nobles and any other characters who would oppose his rule at bay simply due to their alleigence to the royal family. Second, to use her as the figurehead of the kingdom so he can continue to work to bring about "the Age of Darkness" unhindered.

And yeah, this is my 1st post on SK.net - hopefully I made it somewhat worthwhile. :troll:

I'm still confused by the "20 years later" thing. It isn't just a joke about republishing the series after 20 years because these new editions will be out in May and this "sequel" will be out in June. The ad says something like:

"Notice: Berserk: 20 Years Later

The debut of a new series!
A Berserk sequel!
What will it be like in 20 years!

Details will follow in Young Animal no.12, in stores June 8th!!"

This seems like a pretty big deal if it's true...wtf is Miura thinking?

She was raised as a princess, and clearly has the manners and speech to deal with nobles. I sincerely doubt she'd be a completely incapable leader.

You can be right, of course, we wouldn't know until we saw it. However, I doubt that some theories she might have still remember after all the trauma would really help her deal with ravaged country, even great leader would have big problem with that. She was basically a kid when she last had resemblance of normal life, and I doubt somewhat that she managed to fully comprehend lot of information about ruling the country after she was almost raped by her father and man she loved was tortured and disappeared. I think most people would be too traumatized to be of much use for a long time after that, especially meek and tender girl like Charlotte. And then she was captured by Ganishka, again, not much opportunity for training. She seemed to exclusively concentrate on Griffith to deal with it, I doubt it would be easy to get adjusted to thinking broadly. I don't even know how much theories would help one sheltered girl deal with reality of country that is torn apart by war and plague. Most likely, IMO, she'd be "influenced" by someone else if Griff wasn't around.

Of course she knows manners and proper speech, and has lots of helpful insights into life of court, probably would be perfect modern queen of "constitutional monarchy", she'll do great at receptions and such, but I just don't see her as leader who would be able to deal with big country without getting dependent on various ministers et cetera. Her speech and manners wouldn't intimidate power hungry men or help her win wars. She has much growing up (and healing) to do, maybe it will start now when she's no longer continually terrified by this or that. So far, her way of dealing seem to be to withdraw into herself, put her head under the pillow or try to get lost in the fantasy. I don't blame her, in fact I understand that all too well, nor do I think it makes her weak, just normal, and it'd take extraordinary human to deal with troubled kingdom. Of course, she showed lots of courage in saving Griffith, but I doubt it would be enough for her current task, and besides, even meekest women can do amazing things when they get obsessed with some guy. Well, it's my train of thought anyway.

As for nobles, I really dunno, would be cool to see them try and take out Griffith and for him to deal with them in some monstruous way (not that it wasn't monstruous enough last time!). I can see some assassination attempts in the future, though maybe commited by "good guys" for a change, if only because it would be more dramatic and heartbreaking to see good people suffer the dark side of reincarnated God hand.

Eh, being laconic isn't my strong point...

NTSC-J said:
This seems like a pretty big deal if it's true...wtf is Miura thinking?

It's called japcrack. It's a special blend of cocaine that is far superior to anything else in the world, and has inspired the creation of pretty much everything that's ever been exported out of japan
(see: Pokemon, sailor moon, and everything that cartoon network shows in the afternoon). :troll:

I hope this extra series doesn't run in parallel with the one now, but instead is just a 'continuation' or some such. How could he do two series at once when he has trouble releasing just the one on a sufferable time schedule?

Umm...guys...as interesting as this "20 Years Later" picture is; it's nothing more than a well done fake. See for yourselves....take the image into Adobe PhotoShop and Adjust the levels, particularly the middle arrow moving it to the right. You will see some white areas of the page darken around Guts' head and Puck, while others do not, cleary showing evidence of different pictures being "cut and pasted" together. Also, where it has the date 6 8, while every other letter and number darken, the 6 stays white....further evidence the the "6" came from a different picture. So unless Miura uses a computer program and to do his art, it's a fake....a very time consuming fake because the blend tool was obviously used to merge pictures of different characters together. SORRY. I was just as intrigued as you....I hate to ruin the fun, but I thought I should point this out.

It damn well better be a fake. I assume then that it was made by whoever originally scanned the episode?

NTSC-J said:
It damn well better be a fake. I assume then that it was made by whoever originally scanned the episode?

Why don't you ask Tomo Ruisu since that's who the post was started by? With only 4 posts on this site....he seems mighty suspicious now. :???:

Skull Knight said:
Umm...guys...as interesting as this "20 Years Later" picture is; it's nothing more than a well done fake. See for yourselves....take the image into Adobe PhotoShop and Adjust the levels, particularly the middle arrow moving it to the right. You will see some white areas of the page darken around Guts' head and Puck, while others do not, cleary showing evidence of different pictures being "cut and pasted" together. Also, where it has the date 6 8, while every other letter and number darken, the 6 stays white....further evidence the the "6" came from a different picture. So unless Miura uses a computer program and to do his art, it's a fake....a very time consuming fake because the blend tool was obviously used to merge pictures of different characters together. SORRY. I was just as intrigued as you....I hate to ruin the fun, but I thought I should point this out.

Thank you for making me feel like an idiot SK. I'm kind of relieved that I was so gullible, because it would have been a ridiculous move if it had been real.

You earn 10 internet detective points. You may exchange 10 internet detective points for one point of street-cred.

A

avidwriter

Skull Knight said:

I'm 50/50. In a way I wanted to see it but not as a spin off or sequel but rather maybe as a one shot....then again it would probably spoil the end somehow. I'm glad its pretty much been proven faked but we'll see I guess. We'll see. :???:

CnC

Ad Oculos

Skull Knight said:

This is the funniest thing I've read all morning. Thank you.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.

"It's a Shop, I can tell because of some of the pixels and . . ." Actually, I agree with that assessment because the "older" characters are based off of existing ones. Gambino is Isidro, Guts appears to be Daiba, Schierke is Flora . . . I somehow doubt that Miura would recycle character designs like that . . . Although, given the possible length of the series, I won't be surprised if we see something like this down the road.

Thanks again for the episode Aaz. This late in the series, it really shows how Griffith is so brilliantly conceived; he's like a Fallen Angel and Archetypical Divine Prince rolled into one, to mortal eyes, he is beautiful and virtuous but this hides a ruthless and inhuman nature that few can fathom or discern. His interactions with the Nobles will be very interesting, I'd almost compare the coming intrigues to having the Nobles of the Holy See at court with John Carpenters The Thing. I imagine that that same kind of psychological Horror will confront any that dare to conspire against him; not knowing how, where or through whom Griffith will strike to neutralize them. Most likely before they can even bring their plans into swing . . . I'm really curious about how those who have real reason to be suspicious and cautious will react to him. Including anyone who might have inside knowledge of how Griffith was tortured by the King. That ought to make anyone suspicious.

As for Charlotte, she is extremely naive, due to both her youth and having lived a sheltered life. However, I get this sense that if she experiences the right kind of event (Rosemary's Baby anyone?) that she'll surprise us.

Edit: It just hit me that The Kind of Midland was actually used for Old Guts. I don't know how I missed it either.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

shopped.jpg

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.

Link removed

I noticed something that I thought was kind of Funny: Did anyone else see how the Noble suffering from severe Male-pattern Baldness has an Octopus as his Emblem? Isn't "Bald-Headed Octopus." A common insult against Bald people in Japan?

Top Bottom