Question about the Beast of Darkness

Hello,

I have been lurking here for a while reading the posts and learning more about Berserk all the time. This has to be the greatest Forum for Berserk. Im currently on Vol. 16 of the manga Darkhorse release.

About a month ago I purchased the Berserk PS2 game and saw some things that raised a lot of questions. I saw this black wolf-like creature chew on Casca's neck during a hallucination induced by an incubus that attached itself to guts. Searching desperately, I have not been able to find out what the hell that thing is.

Near the end of Vol. 16 it seems to appear briefly. Would I be correct in saying that it has something to do with a coagulation of his hatred/rage of the apostles and Griffith? Somehow the spectres that surround him seem to morph into that creature that looks like this-----> :beast:
I seem to get the indication that the more angry Guts becomes, and the more that he kills, the more susceptible he is to this "Beast" consuming him. What is the even more horrific to me, is the fact that the spectres in this form try to suggest to Guts that he should become like Griffith, which seems like an actual possiblity considering he is carrying around a behelit.
Is this creature later given a name? One that I could look up in the encyclopedia?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Rift,

Rift said:
About a month ago I purchased the Berserk PS2 game and saw some things that raised a lot of questions. I saw this black wolf-like creature chew on Casca's neck during a hallucination induced by an incubus that attached itself to guts. Searching desperately, I have not been able to find out what the hell that thing is.

That's because you haven't read enough of the manga yet. That's the Beast of Darkness (I renamed the thread appropriately). You'll learn more about it in future volumes. What you've seen in the PS2 game is taken straight from the manga (volume 23).

Rift said:
Would I be correct in saying that it has something to do with a coagulation of his hatred/rage of the apostles and Griffith?

It's a personification of Guts' dark feelings in general. Hatred, fear, etc. It's related to his experience with the God Hand and apostles of course.

Rift said:
What is the even more horrific to me, is the fact that the spectres in this form try to suggest to Guts that he should become like Griffith, which seems like an actual possiblity considering he is carrying around a Beherit.

Well actually no, that's not a possibility. Guts isn't ever going to become a member of the God Hand, and to a lesser extent it's also extremely improbable that he'll turn into an apostle. But the way they are taunting him is certainly diabolic. :zodd:

Top Bottom