Using Japanese appliances in America...

Well, I hope this isn't irrelevant, but I know there are several fellow gamers here. Anyway, I've been debating whether to purchase a 100 to 125 converter for my Japanese PS3 (which I am using in the US). I've used Japanese PSX's, Saturns, and Dreamcasts with no problem, but the PS3 seems to be running rather hot on my FREEDOM VOLTAGE. I'm not sure if this is just typical of PS3's, or if it requires more voltage and thus the 20% difference is amplified (I've found conflicting reports by searching around...) Any advice would be much appreciated.

This place sure got lame :judo:

You may as well use a step up transformer; I wouldn't risk hardware as expensive as the PS3 to avoid buying a $15-20 adapter. If you wanted to run an American appliance on Japanese lines I wouldn't be as concerned, because there's less risk in using a lower relative voltage vs. higher. Incidentally, I think some Japanese appliances are meant to be used at 50hz which could definitely screw up the power supply/whole deal. But I think 50hz got more or less phased out.

I'm actually an electrical engineering major (Technically; I'm quitting. Math is hard.) but you wouldn't know it because I know more or less jack shit.

Top Bottom