Gaiseric's Tale

M

Marcus

This topic is about the chapter where Judeau and the girl tell Guts about Gaiseric ^^:; Kinda freaky that all the skulls had brands.. What were they sacrificed for? And who? I'm not sure what we learn from vol 9-11 since I haven't found translations for those. Anyone have any old theories on Gaiseric and his Empire? Other than him being Skully ;)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ah yes, this old topic. If the speculations section was still up, Id point you there... Actually, I think I'll upload the skully section of it. Itd certainly save me some time by re-explaining my theories  8) :

http://www.skullknight.net/spec/skully/skully.htm

PS: Wow, that was written nearly 2 years ago. I need to reword a lot of that stuff. Just sounds plain lame in a lot of places. I should also add in some of the newer theories. I just need to rememebr them ;D

M

Marcus

This isn't exactly on topic but I've started reading berserk again (from the beginning that is) and I've noticed that in the first Godhand encounter we see Slan admiring Guts' fighting spirit/will to attack Femto even after his battle with the Count. She also comments that it would be great if Guts could join them... foreshadowing? Prolly not since Conrad says that Guts wasn't "chosen" by destiny and therefore can't be one of them.

Spike

"AAghh! Get off of me you crazy bitch!" - Bruce C.
Is it just me or does Gaiseric's helmet look like a composition of both Skull Knights helmet / face, and Zodd's face? Spooky...What if instead of only Skull Knight becoming a member of the Godhand, he never actually did, and he and Zodd have fought over the privledge for the last 1000 years? Whomever kills the other gets to become an actual part of the Godhand...until then, they're both pseudo-Godhand, pseudo-Apostles? :-X Oh yeah, is there an actual timeline with specific dates that anyone knows about?

D

Drachenfels

I think it's rather clear that SK is the enemy of the god hand, since Zodd says in volume 12 or 13 "you have opposed us for thousand years".
And for a timeline, just check the faq.

Scarred

I am the apostle of Samson. FEAR ME!
Skull Knight might have been transformed by the armor, even though he is calm and not berserk like Guts would become. As you know, Guts is a total nutjob when he's in the suit. Maybe Skull Knight survived in the suit, but "died" simply because of the state he was in, anyway, here is the important part.

I personally think that Skull Knight was the past Guts. There was some other Griffith (who became a femto-like figure, and was then reincarnated). SK killed the former Griffith, and conquered midland.

Notice how they say that fate goes in a spiral, not a circle. Skull knight suggested that Guts would become exactly like him, which would mean that history was going to completely repeat itself. Instead, it seems that things don't have to be the same way.

Anyway, after Skull Knight had conquered the world, he had "beaten" the God Hand. Of course, things aren't so easy. Void, probably a close friend of Skull Knight, summons them, and becomes the new 5th godhand.

Only 4 angels descend, but 5 of them (Including the newly transformed Void) attack his kingdom. He slaughters all but Void, but his kingdom is destroyed anyway. Void returns to his own realm, and new Godhands are born, until the time when Griffith can become the new 5th one, and Guts can be the new Skull Knight.

Skull Knight spent so much time in between realms (the place where Guts is), that his body seemingly turned into a corpse, but is still spiritually alive, so he continues to move, and still grows in power.

Spike said:
 Is it just me or does Gaiseric's helmet look like a composition of both Skull Knights helmet / face, and Zodd's face?  Spooky...What if instead of only Skull Knight becoming a member of the Godhand, he never actually did, and he and Zodd have fought over the privledge for the last 1000 years?  Whomever kills the other gets to become an actual part of the Godhand...until then, they're both pseudo-Godhand, pseudo-Apostles? :-X   Oh yeah, is there an actual timeline with specific dates that anyone knows about?

I never noticed until I read this post, but what happens if you put Gaeseric's skull mask on Zodd's face? Maybe I'm crazy. They seem to have similar hair, not that means anything. But the beast on Gaeseric's mask does kinda resemble Zodd's apostle form. Maybe Gaeseric isn't the Skullknight we all know and love, but rather Zodd? Oh I'm gonna get flamed for this one.

sk32.jpg

zodd.jpg

sk7.jpg

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Actully he makes a really good point. Look at the face on top of Gaeseric's skull helm. Then think of Zodds apostle form. Notice anything?

If you dont get it, zodds apostle form kinda looks like that face on the mask. Like in the past, apostles that have apostle forms that match their armor (snake baron, grunabald, etc).

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
DarkBlademaster said:
Actully he makes a really good point. Look at the face on top of Gaeseric's skull helm. Then think of Zodds apostle form. Notice anything?

If you dont get it, zodds apostle form kinda looks like that face on the mask. Like in the past, apostles that have apostle forms that match their armor (snake baron, grunabald, etc).

I don't think so, guys.

I always interpreted the "stuff" coming out of Gaiseric's helmet to be fur or feathers. A lot of helmets are decorated with fur or feathers, and why would anyone use a helmet that had a big hole in the back of it to let their hair stick out? Wouldn't offer much protection.

Also, the face on the top of Gaiseric's helmet looks to me like any type of stylized animal or "grotesque" creature from the Middle Ages. Look at some pictures of gargoyles or real armor appropriate to medieval Europe. Gaiseric's armor is completely covered by this sort of ornamentation. I think if Miura meant it to look like Zoddo's "transformed" face I think he would have made it much more apparent.

TheSkyTraveller said:
and why would anyone use a helmet that had a big hole in the back of it to let their hair stick out? Wouldn't offer much protection.
For aesthetic reasons. If indeed he was Zodd as an Emperor maybe he just needed to hide his savage face and promote something more "grotescue" on his figure.
Now, don't get me wrong. I ain't saying that Gaiserick is Zodd. I am just answering your argument over here.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Well, there are not that many pictures of Gaiseric yet, so miura still has somthing in store for us about Gaiseric (which is obvious, so i might as well add myself to the list in my sig)

Franz

It's a dolphin.
DarkBlademaster said:

I notice you're stretching it. Yes, its a face. But honestly it can resemble a lion or dog as much as it can a bull or minotaur-like figure.

King Gaiseric

I walk the path of hell
I'm not too sure, I'd rather say it's a pretty decent bet guessing that it's a possibility...we all know Miura hehe he's damn unpredictable

What confuses me is that Gaiseric was a fanatic christian, what is he doing with a devil's emblem on his plate? His main reason for building up such a military offense towards his neighboring countries was to annihilate all lesser Christians (non-orderly, easy christians) and pagans. Of course, Gaiseric's character in this manga may have been changed around to become a much more fictional character and perhaps his real part is not that important. What I see then now is that Miura is trying to implement his Buddhist beliefs on how the so-called Holy Wars of the Medival Ages were afterall not fought for good, but rather, for personal gratification and pride. Maybe it is for this reason that almost every aspect, from faith, to religion in Berserk, has so many Satanic symbols attached to them, especially towards Christianity. This is very interesting because this is afterall, one of the biggest flaws in the western and eastern religions of christianity and islam respectively, for they are 2 of the most extreme religions that have produced under their believers, wars that were not fought for good, but rather, fought out of the cause of insanity. What is consistent was that Gaiseric was seen as an outcast, hence the negative influences attached to the Vandals. So, let's get this straight, the Holy Wars (lots of them spanned over a period of time), was initiated by the Roman Catholic order (a much later time than Gaiseric's time, perhaps Griffith's time), so we rewind back 1000 years before, we find an African Pirate/Conquerer named Gaiseric, that wishes to take over the Roman empire in the name of his strict discipline of Christianity. So, what's up? Pretty messed up huh? What is it then, that makes you a good Christian? The Real Christian? Miura seems to be leaning toward Gaiseric as the Real Christian, along with Gatsu and his bandwagon, fighting against the False Christians, the God Hands, Griffiths, etc. I don't know, I hate it when I have to look back into history and compare it with Berserk, because, quite frankly, I am stuck in a complex web of new ideas and extremely hard to tackle problems.

I also agree that it's not his hair that's sticking out, but rather, just the feather or furs. If this

UrashimaSenpai said:
What confuses me is that Gaiseric was a fanatic christian, what is he doing with a devil's emblem on his plate? His main reason for building up such a military offense towards his neighboring countries was to annihilate all lesser Christians (non-orderly, easy christians) and pagans. Of course, Gaiseric's character in this manga may have been changed around to become a much more fictional character and perhaps his real part is not that important. What I see then now is that Miura is trying to implement his Buddhist beliefs on how the so-called Holy Wars of the Medival Ages were afterall not fought for good, but rather, for personal gratification and pride. Maybe it is for this reason that almost every aspect, from faith, to religion in Berserk, has so many Satanic symbols attached to them, especially towards Christianity. This is very interesting because this is afterall, one of the biggest flaws in the western and eastern religions of christianity and islam respectively, for they are 2 of the most extreme religions that have produced under their believers, wars that were not fought for good, but rather, fought out of the cause of insanity. What is consistent was that Gaiseric was seen as an outcast, hence the negative influences attached to the Vandals. So, let's get this straight, the Holy Wars (lots of them spanned over a period of time), was initiated by the Roman Catholic order (a much later time than Gaiseric's time, perhaps Griffith's time), so we rewind back 1000 years before, we find an African Pirate/Conquerer named Gaiseric, that wishes to take over the Roman empire in the name of his strict discipline of Christianity. So, what's up? Pretty messed up huh? What is it then, that makes you a good Christian? The Real Christian? Miura seems to be leaning toward Gaiseric as the Real Christian, along with Guts and his bandwagon, fighting against the False Christians, the God Hands, Griffiths, etc. I don't know, I hate it when I have to look back into history and compare it with Berserk, because, quite frankly, I am stuck in a complex web of new ideas and extremely hard to tackle problems.

I also agree that it's not his hair that's sticking out, but rather, just the feather or furs. If this
Is this a provocative post?

Are you serious Adam? Those admins should be ashamed of themselves for letting you out of the loop!

Yes, Gaiseric is the great Vandal King that brought about the fall of the Eastern and Western Roman Empire. He's the dude that sacked Carthage and took over Rome. He is a barbarian.

In terms of his character, he is a genius in both political and military warfare.

UrashimaSenpai said:
Are you serious Adam? Those admins should be ashamed of themselves for letting you out of the loop!

Yes, Gaiseric is the great Vandal King that brought about the fall of the Eastern and Western Roman Empire. He's the dude that sacked Carthage and took over Rome. He is a barbarian.

In terms of his character, he is a genius in both political and military warfare.

Is this age of empires or civilization? Honestly, I haven't played any of them.

Top Bottom