Episode 285

Well, he'll have to start dishing out some major abuse towards her for this IMO. "My hubby doesn't spend enough time with me! Kill the bastard, prefferably in painful way!" just doesn't seem very Charlotte-like. Unless she's Slann in the making. It would be dumb of Griffith to start treating her shittily to the point where she'd be ready to off him, I mean, c'mon. In her mind, he's been tortured for a year because he "loves" her so. More likely she'll start noticing something strange about him, it might break her heart and perhaps make her stronger - speculation here of course. Nor do I think he'll let her make any major decisions. But it makes sense to keep her as a proof of his legitimacy and good little wifey, which right now I don't think she'll oppose to being, or to get rid of her eventually, swiftly. Mistreating your wife and queen just for kicks would be dumb and not really IC for Griffith (granted, he's changed, but more in uber cold creature that is even less likely to act on impulse). Anyway, if any woman deserves her chance to finish Griff off, it's Casca. I don't really see Charlotte as killing off bloody people anyway.

As for the trip - Miura rarely let's up an opportunity for a fight. I am almost sure there will be talking, but most probably some sea creature too, or some other danger. With Guts in weakened state, it can be good opportunity for new members of the group to show their chops or lack of thereof. Not that they didn't before, but it can be on larger scale. We have Azan, Magnifico, Roderick... we saw Azan fight before and Magnifico, a little, but not all together with Gut's badn. Plus, the island may not be all that easy to find. What ever was easy on Berserk? For Guts in particular?

m not with the crowd that thinks he's gonna start to really lurrrve her or anything
There is such crowd? Honest question.

I agree with Cruella, I just can't picture Charlotte bringing herself to ever "murder" Griffith in a complete fit of rage.
Last episode was great, and Charlotte played out just in the way I imagined she would since Griffith became her knight and FALCON PUNCH'd to her rescue.
And yeah, also I think this Casca has a far more "justified" vengeance than Charlotte, being that as Cruella mentioned Griffith endured torture at her "sake", where Casca is the other way around.

Cruella said:
Well, he'll have to start dishing out some major abuse towards her for this IMO. "My hubby doesn't spend enough time with me! Kill the bastard, prefferably in painful way!" just doesn't seem very Charlotte-like.

Well, clearly it'd be more than just him ignoring her (such as her figuring out what he truly was and what he lets happen to their country) but I figured that was obvious, I apologize.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Cruella said:
we saw Azan fight before and Magnifico, a little, but not all together with Guts badn.

I think you meant to say that we've seen Roderick fight, as Magnifico hasn't been an active participant in battle yet (and I doubt he ever will be, but you never know). A fight on the water would be a good way to reintroduce Azan to everyone, though.

Luca

Happiness is a warm gun.
Cruella said:
There is such crowd? Honest question.

There actually is. As for the rest of your post, I agree with you completely. While I do find Charlotte's perception of Griffith to be skewered, like almost everyone's, I don't think people give her enough credit. They need to take into account that she was young and smitten when she met him, had him 'taken away' tragically from her after a passionate night of romance (in her eyes), and then her life went down the pooper with her Father immediately trying to put the moves on her. Griffith saved her from isolation and loneliness. She's going to blindly follow him no matter what, imo. She won't be unsatisfied and suddenly want him killed just because he doesn't spend enough time with her.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
One interesting possibility that occurs to me off the top of my head is that she would end up aiding a resistance against Griffith without even knowing whats going on.
I just have this odd suspicion that we are going to see her really show her spine at some point, keep in mind that that could happen in a lot of ways.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I don’t think people give the Griffith/Charlotte relationship enough credit. Whatever Griffith’s ulterior motives, they’ve had their moments; she was the woman he took comfort in at his lowest, and he the man who took her virginity. Those acts create emotional bonds, even when done for the wrong reasons. Of course, their finest hour, and a turning point which I think truly engaged Griffith, was when Charlotte took that dart for him. He was obviously affected, and they shared their most genuine moment together afterward, when he apparently promised to return for her somehow. Even if their relationship was totally one-sided before that, I think that somewhat changed the dynamic. If Griffith can never love her, I think that gave him a true affection for her, making her more to him than just a means to an end. Of course, even if there’s a mutual affection, it’s still a relationship that's grown from a dishonest and inherently imbalanced formation, one that's still not honest or balanced in fact, and one which the dysfunctions and consequences of could manifest later.

I can relate. :griff:

egg of the king

Mort pour Rien
Griffith No More! said:
IOf course, their finest hour, and a turning point which I think truly engaged Griffith, was when Charlotte took that dart for him.

hold on, i must be mistaken here, but i don't remember her ever taking a dart for him. when did this happen?

--dy

Luca

Happiness is a warm gun.
I agree with you, Griffith no more! But when it comes to most relationships in Berserk, when it is not spelled out as clearly as Guts/Casca was, I think a lot of people misinterpret or undermine some. Or just are given an inch and take a mile. Of course, my personal favourite will always be the Guts/Griffith relationship (original, I know), but people undermine other ones, even Griffith/Casca.

I definitely think no two relationships are alike, but Charlotte became to Griffith in many ways what Casca wanted. As soon as Charlotte entered the picture, it seems Casca was useless to Griffith (in her eyes) as a woman, and with Guts there she was useless as a sword.

Concerning Charlotte, the relationship between she and Griffith was not as honest as Griffith and Casca (as honest as that could be, at least), but it still had its strong points.

When Griffith muses in the dungeon about people who were either adoring of him or hateful of him, and this was how he exerted control, Charlotte and Casca were in the pit of people like Judeau and Pippin and Carcus were. I think this showed that, with Charlotte in that panel with the rest of the Hawks, that Griffith did begin to value her as he did with them. He valued the Hawks as assets, but still cared for them in spite of himself, and that's where I think she fit.

Sure, it's not healthy. Him 'seeking comfort' in her was his last form of showing himself that he was 'in control' (well, he did that later in the wagon with Casca, and at the Eclipse, but hey). It wasn't a "hold me in your arms, my love" type of ordeal, but he definitely thought well of Charlotte. She was naive and sweet and pretty and fell into his plans perfectly, but he knew that, like Casca, she was genuine in her care for him. He was a 'saviour' to both women, in different aspects, but he still played the hero role. Which was why he was in control around them.

Pre-Eclipse, it's easy to write off. Post-Eclipse, it's hard to ignore. She's perfect for him, fate-wise. She was put into his life as a princess that needed to be rescued and fell in love with him. Convenient, and something that COULD have been easy, but was made rather difficult because of how much Guts threw off....everything in Griffith's life. Charlotte represented deluded hope to Griffith. It wasn't hard at all for him to get her to fall for him. All he needed to do was have a romantic meeting with her, save her from a horse, and bow politely at her a few times, smiling charmingly, talking about life, etc. etc. It's what every teenage girl dreams about, and Charlotte got it. She even got hawt rough sex in the package. But that fucked Griffith over, and Charlotte still remained devoted, because he was her only salvation from her mundane life of being locked up.

Berserk revolves a lot around letting someone rule your life and being utterly devoted to them because they 'saved' you somehow, and...how wrong that is. It either fixes those relationships, such as it did with Serpico and Farnese, or it writes them as something messed up and not going to get better, like Griffith and Charlotte, or where Griffith and Casca had been headed. Charlotte still loved Griffith even when he was tortured and blah. Sure, she knew nothing of who Griffith WAS deep down, but in the end none of that would matter to her because he was her prince. She even obsessed over him for years locked up in her room. With a creepy retarded father, I don't blame her for needing someone perfect to obsess over, fixated on the thought of him saving her.

Her feelings are strong. Deluded, but strong. Griffith found comfort in her. She was someone who he could be a knight in shining armour to no matter what. Even Casca had seen him falter and had seen his weakness. He muses in th dungeon that everyone but Guts was either constantly in his good graces, or his enemy. When Griffith finally kills the Baron (Gennon), he leaves him in the middle of a bunch of soldiers on a battlefield. The panel zooms out, and soon the Baron's corpse becomes unrecognizable and blends in with all of these other enemies. This is Griffith's way of putting his guilt and demons behind him. He blackmails and kills all of those who see him as what he saw himself as, and keeps the people in his life that help him build his image of himself that he's a saviour, that he's doing good, that his dream is worth it. Charlotte was exactly this person, and she still is to this day to him. It's a very interesting relationship.

Sure, any of those people in the dungeon would have taken the arrow for Griffith, because they were his soldiers and dedicated to him (and in Casca's and Guts' case, loved him). But Charlotte did it out of love, however naive and immature that love was (what crazed girl would NOT take an arrow for her movie star crush/boyfriend/whatever), she still did it, and she wasn't trained to. It obviously effected Griffith, and in that I think he saw hope. He thought that perhaps if one day he were to get better, she would still be his goal. While he saw Guts and Casca together and began to pick up on things, Charlotte looked like the only option of control he had left. And that means a lot to someone who is on a quest for glory.

And that is my 90000000 word essay that could have been summed up in like, two sentences. My fever is getting to me :(

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
hagueshot.gif

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Aazealh said:
Maybe so will the fact that the next episode is slated for release on June 22, in issue 13 of YA. Or not.

You make Uriel cry hurt :( [/venturebrosreference]

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Didn't Miura speak of some kind of regularity in releases once this battle was done?

He said he should get back to his normal pace since he had finished drawing all those soldiers he was working on, but as it turned out it's not happening for now.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
that reminds me, aren't we coming up on the 10th anniversary of SK.net sometime soon? :troll:

That'd be 2010 if you count the very beginning of the site, 2011 if you start with the "current" forum's creation.

Aazealh said:
Maybe so will the fact that the next episode is slated for release on June 22, in issue 13 of YA. Or not. :SK:

ach... i was hoping to get a young animal while i was in japan (may 15th-29th) and do some scans for you guys... damn it...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Psymont 2.0 said:
ach... i was hoping to get a young animal while i was in japan (may 15th-29th) and do some scans for you guys... damn it...

Well you'll be able to get the first 2 double sized volumes at least, it's better than nothing.

NOCOMPROMISE.jpg

The least I can say is that neither Griffith nor Miura wasted time here. The nobles from Vritannis are barely starting to get over Charlotte's appearance (with Vandimion arguing their position as much as he can) that the Pontiff arrives and proclaims Griffith the savior. I think my favorite part is Locus' smile when he sees it.

Pesmerga

This is going to be one hell of a party
Thanks Aaz for the episode, Griffith proclaims the savior :griff: he is closer of his dream little by little.

Top Bottom