Nintendo DS Remake of FF4

Ooooo. That's one to pick up for sure.

Consider picking up Phoenix Wright if you're going to snag a DS by the way. Maybe not to own but to rent atleast :D

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
spineylamb said:

Consider picking up Phoenix Wright if you're going to snag a DS by the way. Maybe not to own but to rent atleast :D
They don't have game rentals here in Japan. I was utterly SHOCKED. SHOCKED I tell you when my wife said that. :judo:

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
spineylamb said:

It's worth buying. All four parts of it, really. Also, the first two (and possibly the third one, soon) are BILINGUAL, as in, the Japanese releases have both English and Japanese text choices. :D

On a side note... I know I posted this horribly crappy Phoenix Wright/Berserk Photoshop I created somewhere on this board before, but I couldn't find it again, so I'll post it here:

crappyberserkpw.jpg
'

Side Note: I am also awaiting this FF4 remake with bated breath. I played the crap out of it at around age 12-13.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I told Wally about it 2 days ago when it was announced, but you beat my lazy ass to making a thread about it Saiya. :guts:

It's a neat idea assuming the remake will be as good as FFIII, especially since they're planning to add some meat to the game in a similar fashion. The fact it was already ported on GBA recently makes it a tad hard not to think they're milking their franchise as hard as they can though.

FFV and FFVI next in line? Then direct ports of FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX? With FFCC Ring of Fates & FFTA2 to be released, FFXII: RW that came out in Japan recently, FFIII and Chocobo Tales already out, that makes a lot of FF games (not to mention the PSP lame ports and spin offs). Then there's DQIX and the DQ spin offs. :badbone:

Plus the Mana games, "It's a Wonderful World" (great name...), the Front Mission remake... And I might be forgetting some of them. At least now people can't say the NDS isn't getting RPGs.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Aazealh said:
Plus the Mana games

Oh, god, I wish.

I sooooooo wish. :puck:

Seiken Densetsu 2/Secret of Mana has my vote for one of the best games of all time. SD3 was nice as well, very pretty, but I just loved the weapon level up system in SD2 so much better.

If they remade either of those (even a direct port of SD3, since non-Japanese audiences have yet to see it), I'd be a very happy camper.

As it is, I'm wondering what kind of meat they could really add to FF4... I guess make the cutscenes more cinematic? Obviously everything will be much more animated, I can't wait to see some boss animations in action.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Graphics for this one look really cool, I think. I'm glad they went with Amano's designs for the character models. And as for what will be added, straight from IGN here's the vague news on that front: "Square Enix has a few changes planned on top of the visual update. The game will feature new episodes, allowing players to get deeper acquainted with the storyline. Character designs have been completely redone for the title."

Anyway, yeah, to me the biggest news here is that its an indication Square is indeed continuing down the remake road, with no end in sight at this point. I guess this means we'll get FFVII before 2010 at this rate, and FFIX in 2012. I personally can't wait for FFVI in 3D, even though I just finished conquering FFVI Advance.

PS: Aaz, they're remaking Front Mission? Awesome. I loved that game. And Graywords, don't get too excited about the Seiken Densetsu games coming to DS... Mana Heroes is a fucking RTS. Ugh! And yeah, like Graywords said, with all these remakes, I can't fucking believe Square hasn't released a 3d or even a fucking 2D release of the original Seiken Densetsu games in a combo set or something.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Graywords said:
Oh, god, I wish.

I sooooooo wish. :puck:

Same here, but guess what, when Square made a poll years ago asking people which game they wanted to see remade people voted for the FFs and not SoM. In this particular case I meant Children of Mana and Heroes of Mana though, admittedly not exceptional games, but still decent. And yeah, I wouldn't even care for a 3D remake of the Secret of Mana games, just gimme a straight port and I'll be the happiest man alive.

Graywords said:
As it is, I'm wondering what kind of meat they could really add to FF4... I guess make the cutscenes more cinematic? Obviously everything will be much more animated, I can't wait to see some boss animations in action.

See what Wally said, basically it's enhanced scenario (deepening Cecil's personality) and maybe additional zones (the very appreciated new dungeon from the GBA port will be included, I don't know if they'll add another one).

Walter said:
PS: Aaz, they're remaking Front Mission? Awesome.

Yup, it's called "Front Mission the First."

Walter said:
And Graywords, don't get too excited about the Seiken Densetsu games coming to DS... Mana Heroes is a fucking RTS. Ugh! And yeah, like Graywords said, with all these remakes, I can't fucking believe Square hasn't released a 3d or even a fucking 2D release of the original Seiken Densetsu games in a combo set or something.

Actually Heroes of Mana got some decent reviews, so I'm half hoping it'll be worth buying. It really pained me to learn FFXII: RW was going to be a semi-RTS though. Anyway, I think the reason we're not seeing more ports and remakes is because Nintendo didn't want the GBA experience to happen again with the NDS, they wanted a majority of fresh stuff and not just SNES oldies with a new coat of paint. It's like when the guy in charge of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass said they could make a Zelda 64 port in 6 months but weren't bothering because it wasn't the company's policy... That's when you want to ask him why they're not doing both new games AND ports.

EDIT: Just noticed, nobody mentioned Chrono Trigger in the wishful remake category. :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
EDIT: Just noticed, nobody mentioned Chrono Trigger in the wishful remake category. :SK:
Hmm, I guess it'd be perfectly feasible, especially now that Square has Enix on their side. I guess I didn't mention it because somewhere in the back of my mind, I don't think it can be improved upon. A straight port would do me just fine. I don't want them muddying the water with such a classic title.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Hmm, I guess it'd be perfectly feasible, especially now that Square has Enix on their side. I guess I didn't mention it because somewhere in the back of my mind, I don't think it can be improved upon. A straight port would do me just fine. I don't want them muddying the water with such a classic title.

Well I don't think it's any more classic than the Seiken Densetsu games or even FFIV, but yeah, a straight port would be completely fine.

EDIT: By the way, Picross DS looks awesome and I sooo want it.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Aazealh said:
Front Mission remake

I absolutely cannot wait for this, the only game in the series I have played is Front Mission 4. I've been looking for a copy of Front Mission 3 but I guess I'll wait now. Wow, all these new games! The best handheld is getting even better!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
HOw about Dragon Quest games??

Well the new DQ game is coming out on NDS, not a spin-off but the main game (DQIX). And of course there are spin-offs available already, including the marvellous Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime that I recommend to everyone. But now that you mention it, they'll probably start remaking the old ones as well, it's a goldmine still unexploited.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Aazealh said:

Howbout Xenogears? They could actualy finish up that missing part of the 2nd disc. :p

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Majin Tenshi said:
Howbout Xenogears? They could actualy finish up that missing part of the 2nd disc. :p

Hey, why not, after all they've already ported Xenosaga I & II on the NDS, and now Nintendo owns Monolith Soft so an agreement could easily be reached.

Final Fantasy IV remake...

I know it's on DS but this is really going to be something. Here are the last scan;

http://img34.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=04750_FF4_F976a_122_609lo.jpg

http://img166.imagevenue.com/view.php?image=04756_FF4_F976b_122_735lo.jpg

http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=04762_FF4_F976c_122_698lo.jpg

http://img46.imagevenue.com/view.php?image=04773_FF4_F976d_122_787lo.jpg

I found those on GameFaqs. Seriously I have been praying since my youth for a remake of this game. The characters are so good and the hate/love relation between Cecil and Kain is one of the best. Anyway I know people who like this game will enjoy the scans.

On the subject of the Front Mission remake, news to me and I hope the main character still looks like Christopher Walken. Secondly, I was one of those pesky kids who had adored Chrono Cross a great deal over CT when all was said and done with, even including Toriyama Nostalgia, so I'd rather see an attempt at porting/revamping that or shipping both in a pack.

As for monolith soft and Nintendo owning them, just as a clarification, the only reason they would be able to make Gears (remake or whatnot) would be if Square does not renew it as an IP in 2008/9, which is, in my opinion, what Monolith was riding on when they envisioned Saga being a bigger success. Also, to my knowledge, saga 1+2 on the DS never saw a stateside release, so I'm calling the cards in early and saying we're pretty much finished from hearing anything Xeno wise.

Topic time, at first seeing it when it was originally noted, most likely to me not owning a DS at the time, I wasn't too high on more Super deformed/FFIII direction, and, even now, looking at the "hi-res" models, I wish FF4 would get a nice revamp on a "next gen" console versus FFXIII, if life was so grand. Now that I own a DS, I'm very pleased about the remake, as the DS is my primary work break/college time killer. Hopefully it'll be better than the original, but that's a big hopefully.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Manji said:
On the subject of the Front Mission remake, news to me and I hope the main character still looks like Christopher Walken. Secondly, I was one of those pesky kids who had adored Chrono Cross a great deal over CT when all was said and done with, even including Toriyama Nostalgia, so I'd rather see an attempt at porting/revamping that or shipping both in a pack.
Wow, CC better than CT? I expected more from our very own resident Square Scholar :ganishka: Im looking forward to Front Mission, but in my opinion, there's little they can do to ruin the experience of playing through these things again. So far, the remakes have only enhanced the fun of revisiting the games, and I expect the same from FFIV Redux as well as Front Mission; the latter of which I only played on emu. Anything's better than that.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Wow, CC better than CT? I expected more from our very own resident Square Scholar

Didn't you know? Square only keeps getting better and better. :ganishka:

That's what Ganishka needs, a twin brother!

Walter said:
Wow, CC better than CT? I expected more from our very own resident Square Scholar.
Chrono Trigger only lasted so long on my "I LOVE THIS GAME!" list. After middle school ended and playing Chrono Cross my freshman year, the only memorable things I have of it are the battle system and music. But eh, I'm getting ahead of myself.
"Griffith No More!" said:
Didn't you know? Square only keeps getting better and better.
Took things a little bit too literally, but I expected such.

Ten precious pennies says Spoony Bard will be kept, and potentially the Ultimate Power reference in the GBA port.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
More pics I found on, of all places, RottenTomatoes.com. We've seen many of these in magazine scans, but some are new, and all are higher quality than those shown previously:

104_76879_ff01.jpg
104_76879_ff02.jpg

104_76879_ff03.jpg
104_76879_ff04.jpg

104_76879_ff05.jpg
104_76879_ff06.jpg

104_76879_ff07.jpg
104_76879_ff08.jpg

104_76879_ff09.jpg
104_76879_ff10.jpg

Looks awesome, but these battles are lackluster ... Cecil, both paladin and dark knight are shown here with a Kain who looks like he needs to get some damned pants on. As reported earlier, it clearly is using a modified FF III engine.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
The graphics are quite impressive, very high rez for a DS game.
Yeah, looks like Square-Enix resolved the "our textures look like ass and don't align on models properly" problem many DS games have. Everything shown in the cinematics here looks gorgeous.

By the way, is it just me, or does Yang look like a baby in that last shot? Where's his distinctive handlebar moustache?

Top Bottom