Starcraft 2

S

Sanguinius

I think its good, the screenshots seem to suggest it will be the same game more or less with updated graphics. After seeing the latest C&C game I would not expect any massive innovations in the game as no one seems to be doing that, but it looks like it will be a solid game. I had wondered if they would make another warcraft or starcraft game next, personally I guessed starcraft and it seems I was right.

Wow! I never thought I'd see the day when the fabled Starcraft II would come out! I love how it looks, graphics look great... Honestly though? After reading all the new changes and stuff, I'm getting the feeling that it's just a Starcraft version of Warcraft.

Edit to add: I wonder what the two new races are...

CnC

Ad Oculos
I was never really any good at Starcraft, but I loved the story.

At the moment it looks like a very pretty Starcraft 1, it will be interesting to see what dynamic they introduce to thwart that stigma.

I have no doubt I'll be picking this one up as well, barring the system specs aren't way out of control.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Kick ass. Can't wait for this one. Thank christ it's not a Starcraft MMORPG...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Thank christ it's not a Starcraft MMORPG...

ahmen

...Would have been funny to see them being chased out of Korea had they announced it as an MMORPG. There'd be rioting in the streets.

Star Craft II??! WOOHOOOOOOOOO!! *does backflips* And the zerg look prettier than normal :serpico: Can't wait for this to come out (knowing Blizzard though... lol?)

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I don't know if this was posted before my post or not, but i am so glad to hear the news. I honestly hope they don't use that system from warcraft 3. I really hated it, regardless much like CnC I sucked at the game but I love it none the less.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
spineylamb said:
Star Craft II??! WOOHOOOOOOOOO!! *does backflips* And the zerg look prettier than normal :serpico: Can't wait for this to come out (knowing Blizzard though... lol?)
I can wait. I mean, we've waited what ... 8 years now? One or two more would be fine by me.

The website is chock full of content. Plenty of great, hi-res screen shots and background info on the Protoss. Since they're already announcing the title and have working footage, I'm guessing they're at least at the halfway point in development.

Anyway, YouTube has gameplay vids up: http://youtube.com/watch?v=bXpLQUVy6rU

Good to see that Blizzard choose not to fuel the hype further, claiming "revolutionary" and "re-defining" this and that. So far things look good, and even though I suck at RTS I'll probably give this thing a whirl.
Also on Youtube, Unit explanation video, audio is crappy but you can make it out.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I fuckin' love the animation. The way the protoss will swiftly surround the marines and act as a group is awesome (it seems the protoss actually get bonuses for attacking in groups).

Also theres an artwork trailer on starcraft2.com that shows a little more footage; including some protoss "walkers" that scale the obstacles on the landscape and zergling rush that genuinely looks like a swarm. Looks great.

The way the protoss will swiftly surround the marines and act as a group is awesome (it seems the protoss actually get bonuses for attacking in groups).
Yeah, that looked awesome, the guy said that they have a "charge" ability allowing them to gang up on range units. Also I loved how those "rocket-pack" dudes tend to form up into a semi-circle while engaging the protoss. The zergling thing... man THAT looks sweet. Damn, getting all excited!

I don't think I ever got very far into Starcraft, but I'll probably pick up the second one whenever it comes out. Looking at all this Starcraft stuff is giving me the urge to play Warhammer 40K:Dawn of War again... (probably since Blizzard seemed to have gotten A LOT of "inspiration" from the Warhammer 40K series for Starcraft)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Mercurii said:
Looking at all this Starcraft stuff is giving me the urge to play Warhammer 40K:Dawn of War again... (probably since Blizzard seemed to have gotten A LOT of "inspiration" from the Warhammer 40K series for Starcraft)

All of you should pick up Company of Heroes... that was an awesome RTS made by the same company. ...but apparently it didn't sell well despite its high praise...

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
CnC said:
All of you should pick up Company of Heroes... that was an awesome RTS made by the same company. ...but apparently it didn't sell well despite its high praise...

Really? I'm still waiting for it to drop twenty bucks before I pick it up.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Really? I'm still waiting for it to drop twenty bucks before I pick it up.

Its another situation where I get smoked if I even dare go into a multiplayer game, but even so I still had a ton of fun with it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
All of you should pick up Company of Heroes... that was an awesome RTS made by the same company.

Not to mention they also did Homeworld, which was simply awesome. CoH never tempted me though, I just can't take WWII as a setting.

S

smoke

Played the first one quite a bit back in the day, not as much as War2, but still quite a bit. Lots of fun.

I will probably get this. Not sure, though. I hope it's got some innovative stuff in it.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
CoH never tempted me though, I just can't take WWII as a setting.

I'm sick of the surroundings too, but the strategy was solid...

Anyhoo I guess I'm getting off topic. From the videos it looks like a LOT of this is done, doesn't it?

Captain Napalm said:
Edit to add: I wonder what the two new races are...

by the by, there aren't two new races. Its the same 3 races, but I heard they're doing more to differentiate the play-style between them. My source is PC gamer, which actually went to blizzard before the announcement, so I think the info's credible

CnC said:
by the by, there aren't two new races. Its the same 3 races, but I heard they're doing more to differentiate the play-style between them. My source is PC gamer, which actually went to blizzard before the announcement, so I think the info's credible

Bah, that's cool. I was hoping we'd get to see the Xel'Naga and the Zerg/Protoss hybrids Samir Duran created. There's always Starcraft III in 20 years though so no biggy. :p

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Its another situation where I get smoked if I even dare go into a multiplayer game, but even so I still had a ton of fun with it.
I have the same problem with any rts game. I just installed StarCraft again and remembered how much I blew at this type of game... I'll never understand why either, I guess it's because I take my time in building up units instead of rushing with the base units.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Captain Napalm said:
Bah, that's cool. I was hoping we'd get to see the Xel'Naga and the Zerg/Protoss hybrids Samir Duran created. There's always Starcraft III in 20 years though so no biggy. :p

Kinda wondering that my self, but....
Didn't the Xel'Naga get completely wiped out by the zerg?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
I'll never understand why either, I guess it's because I take my time in building up units instead of rushing with the base units.

I do the same thing. I always build up then attack in force (when I win its always because I built waaaaaay too much).

Top Bottom