Starcraft 2

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I do the same thing. I always build up then attack in force (when I win its always because I built waaaaaay too much).
I actually got fairly good at War3 by diversifying my units (short-range, range, splash damage units in one group) and having a Hero with a relatively good ability. I like battles where strategy matters more than numbers. But that doesn't transfer often to SC, in my experience. Then again, I'm just bitter because I lost a custom match after 1.5 hours of build up.

Anyway, here's hoping we're all better at SC2 =)

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Kinda wondering that my self, but....
Didn't the Xel'Naga get completely wiped out by the zerg?

That's what I thought too but in a secret mission Samir Duran mentions working for a power far greater than the three we know that's slept for countless ages and, appearently, they're saying a portion of the Xel'Naga escaped the Zerg... Check it out and tell me what ya think: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xel'Naga :)

CnC

Ad Oculos
20070521.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
loling at the geography :ganishka:

Koreans (and everyone, really) will also be happy to know the game will be released simultaenously across the world and across both Mac and WinXP/Vista AND Battle.Net will still support the original StarCraft. This is all news on the official site.

I need to start playing some B.NET myself... I'm now dominating the CPU in custom games as the Protoss :guts: Though, I'm sure the tables will turn once I play against someone who actually knows their shit.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Double-posting to spread the love on this link: http://starcraft2.com/movies.xml

I suppose I should have checked the site more. A few people in the thread have commented on the gameplay vid, but this is a full-blown, 20-minute unit exploration video. It focuses on the new dynamics thrown in with the changes to units, terrain interaction and other awesome features, like the fucking Protoss MOTHERSHIP.

Jesus this looks awesome. Great ending to that vid too. Blizzard has a good sense of humor :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
fucking Protoss MOTHERSHIP.

Yeah, it's also what caught my attention when I watched it the other day. Time stop? Black hole? Sign me up! It's like the Chronosphere and Ion cannon in C&C, these things are what makes the games fun to play to me.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Big Starcraft geek here!

No the Xel'Naga species wasn't completely wiped out there, just all that had contact with the Zerg. But were those the last of the Xel'Naga?! Duran must be working for someone. He didn't create that hybrid on a whim.

SC2 is of mythical proportions the hype is so big. A year ago we were all sure it would make our eyes melt, that it would look different than all previous RTS. Even with the normal (It still incredibly beautiful and impressive but standard view) RTS format it will have gameplay and plot unrivalled. The best thing about Starcraft was its fascinating plot, and the many different methods of gameplay. We all have heard of the KEKEKEKEK ZERG RUSH, but has anyone heard of the multitude of Protoss strategies? Can one of the Koreans give me an example.

DoM

I'm a llama!
Seems like Carriers, Archons and also Reavers (we see one in the last scene of the video) are still in.
The new unit Soul Hunter seems awesome :isidro:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DoM said:
Seems like Carriers, Archons and also Reavers (we see one in the last scene of the video) are still in.

Yeah they're keeping a good amount of the old units apparently, the Terrans still have their battleships as well. It's a good thing too, since the Archon was the most badass unit in SC1.

DoM

I'm a llama!
Yes it is indeed good to keep the old units, that way it relates a minimum to the Original starcraft.
Gameplay, strategy and background universe were what made Starcraft probably the most popular video game of all time.
If they manage to keep the gameplay at the same level or even enhanced (for now it is hard to tell from the videos, it seems a bit slow but Blizzard told the game speed can be set faster as in SC1, and you can't really appreciate and feel the gameplay until you actually play the game), idem for the strategy (for now we can't tell anything from what we have), then Starcraft 2 has very good chances to take SC1:Broodwar 's place in the e-sport community.
I especially wonder what will happen in Korea if that is the case. Will pro-gaming in SC1 be replaced by SC2 Pro-gaming? Or will it still remain while SC2 pro-gaming emerge and get bigger?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Yeah they're keeping a good amount of the old units apparently, the Terrans still have their battleships as well. It's a good thing too, since the Archon was the most badass unit in SC1.

Dunno, one good EMP and its Archon sushi time. :badbone:

The one thing that most RTS's failed to achieve was giving a distictive character to each and every unit. Everything was almost instantly recognizeable. I think blizzards not likely to forget that when they create SC2, but I wouldn't be surprised if old favorites from the first game don't act the same at all in the second.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Dunno, one good EMP and its Archon sushi time. :badbone:

Well I don't mean they're the strongest unit, just badass all around as far as their "distinctive character" goes. :void:

Nice to see SC2 finally in the making, me and my friend reinstalled SC that night and started up Bnet again. I still prefer build ups to rushes, thus why I think R.O.N did a good thing with allowing rush rules/age timers etc. Here's looking at Rayner and Kerrigan blowing themselves up on a Battlecruiser and Korea ...uniting into a penis.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Turns out at blizzcon there's going to be a playable demo of SC2. One would hope that this would mean the game's further along than expected.

Source:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/21/starcraft-ii-playable-at-blizzcon/

-in typical joystiq/kotaku fashion, there's the one sentence of news and the rest are link to other blog posts (I assume to generate clicks)... which annoys me to no end.

CnC said:
Turns out at blizzcon there's going to be a playable demo of SC2. One would hope that this would mean the game's further along than expected.

Source:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/21/starcraft-ii-playable-at-blizzcon/

-in typical joystiq/kotaku fashion, there's the one sentence of news and the rest are link to other blog posts (I assume to generate clicks)... which annoys me to no end.
Playable?...Pessimism wants to get the best of me but the videos so far have looked pretty develop, so there's hope.

Aeglos

Manji said:
Playable?...Pessimism wants to get the best of me but the videos so far have looked pretty develop, so there's hope.

Blizzard has stated that the game is very far developed, and all three races are already playable in a multiplayer game. What's left is balancing, reworking & refactoring, details and single player mode I guess.

Game won't be out till 2008 though.

CnC

Ad Oculos
theres a developer interview over at gamevideos.com... nothing really new is revealed but it's a fairly interesting watch

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Some new Terran units have been revealed during Blizzcon. There's some pretty cool stuff I think, including a giant robot that seems to be their ultimate unit.

Aazealh said:
Some new Terran units have been revealed during Blizzcon. There's some pretty cool stuff I think, including a giant robot that seems to be their ultimate unit.
Looking really good so far! The giant robot? Do you mean the VIKING, if you do I don't think its the ultimate unit for the Terran, there's too many of them in the in-game clip :guts: I'm gutted they didn't end up announcing Diablo III :judo: guess I fell into the hype trap!
Also seeing Ghost makes me even sadder that it didn't get the chance to come out as a game of it's own.

CnC

Ad Oculos
The big guy is called the Thor.
Sounds like a pretty interesting unit, but I have a hunch it'll be easy to counter and thus not really worth it. But we'll see.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I read in the new playable demo the Protoss Mothership's special abilities have been dumbed down... apparently no more black hole ability :judo:

Top Bottom