Starcraft 2

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
I read in the new playable demo the Protoss Mothership's special abilities have been dumbed down... apparently no more black hole ability :judo:

I heard that, too. Sounds like it was way overpowered.

one of the more interesting tidbits of information was how the single player campaign is being handled. Instead of mission briefings and cutscenes you'll interact with your "home base" RPG style. You can choose sub missions and pick out/purchase tech trees to use in the upcoming mission. Its possible that his sort of thing is different for each race, as well.
Its a ballsy move. Dunno if I like it but if anyone can get it to work, Blizzard can.

I watched a bunch of videos at gamespot and Jim Raynor actually looks 10 years younger as opposed to 10 years older. He's gained his hair back and gotten buffer. That's good aging!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Peregrine_Falcon said:
I watched a bunch of videos at gamespot and Jim Raynor actually looks 10 years younger as opposed to 10 years older. He's gained his hair back and gotten buffer. That's good aging!

I saw them too and I think he definitely looks older. His face has aged considerably and while he's "bigger" (never really pictured him as buff but I suppose we never have really seen him until now) he's got some grey in that hair and definitely looks weary. I'm intrigued as to where they take the character.

But man those in-game cinematics looks good. Looks like you might need to upgrade the computer anyway.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
CnC said:
But man those in-game cinematics looks good. Looks like you might need to upgrade the computer anyway.

Thank God I did so recently. :guts: I'm still gonna need to get a video card sometime in the near future that supports DirectX 10.

Good thing I'm going to be getting a new labtop in the next few weeks! :guts:

As for Jim Raynor getting buff, you could tell by how his face looked in SC1 that he wasn't very buff; It was very round and you couldn't see his cheekbones that clearly and he didn't have the enormous neck that buff people have but all that changed in the video demo.

Some of his weariness also comes from that serious look he has on his face against the dark background

Saw a couple videos of actual in game play. Pretty impressive, great 3d graphics and lots of cool new units. Be curious to see if anyone is way overpowered this time <insert person whining who can't defend a 6 zergling rush, lol>. Protoss looks sick but haven't seen much of the other races yet. They usually do a good job balancing but who knows. What I do know is there will be alot of hype(10 years will do that, yes, i've been waiting too..) Hopefully it lives up to its name and take's the RTS crown again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.gamekult.com/video/1762503/

New SC2 video showcasing new Terran units and abilities. Link thanks to Aaz.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
http://www.gamekult.com/video/1762503/

New SC2 video showcasing new Terran units and abilities. Link thanks to Aaz.

video doesn't load for me :judo:
Is this the footage from blizcon or is it new?

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
It may just be the way they are presenting it, but it seems like there are going to be dozens of effective strategies for almost every situation- something you don't find in many RTS's and that has me excited. A lot of games promise this, but in the end you are generally forced into a most effective pattern you need to follow.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
All these new units are actually having the opposite effect on me, I'm intimidated by all these choices. I won't know how to manage 20 different fucking units.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
All these new units are actually having the opposite effect on me, I'm intimidated by all these choices. I won't know how to manage 20 different fucking units.

I don't disagree. I'm still wondering if the zerg rush is going to be the king of the battlefield even with all these units. I really don't want to have to build 12 command centers, a nuke silo, a research lab, a teloporter whatever to build space marines that can jump. Even with the original Starcraft I didn't bother trying to get any weapons past the tanks, it too way to fucking long.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Even with the original Starcraft I didn't bother trying to get any weapons past the tanks, it too way to fucking long.

Oh come on, the advanced stuff is what makes those games fun. Sticking by the two most basic units becomes boring very quickly, and it rarely if ever works against good players either.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
Oh come on, the advanced stuff is what makes those games fun. Sticking by the two most basic units becomes boring very quickly, and it rarely if ever works against good players either.

Playing against a good player, i rarely ever get to do anything. ZERG RUSHED.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:

Well, typically you base a strategy around just a couple of unit types and stick with it. The 20 different units are just your options. Listen to me, as if I know jack shit about how to win RTS's. :judo:

CnC said:
Well, typically you base a strategy around just a couple of unit types and stick with it. The 20 different units are just your options. Listen to me, as if I know jack shit about how to win RTS's. :judo:

Oh, come on. You are CnC!

I didn't like the Terrans' Reapers at first, but those D-8 charges will surely come in handy.

I'm quite curious how the Zerg will turn out, besides what we've already seen.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
royoak said:
I didn't like the Terrans' Reapers at first, but those D-8 charges will surely come in handy.

Yeah, I think along with their high mobility it'll prove to be an interesting weapon to use.

royoak said:
I'm quite curious how the Zerg will turn out, besides what we've already seen.

Same here, I'm sure their new units will be fun.

P

Pencil-smith

Blizz just 'announced' the Terran Battlecruiser.
[nitpick]The Plasma Torpedoes don't look like torpedoes now do they?[/nitpick]

I was hoping their next update would be the introduction of the Zerg in SC2, but it seems we're going to have to wait a bit longer.

Some new footage of Starcraft 2, featuring some zerg units:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-52j5A1xuXM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQoBnKa-e4E

Be warned, quality is pretty iffy.

yea, and being a Zerg player, I am really excited about the fact that ANYTHING can be infested in SC2. The queen oneshotting infantry was pretty awesome as well. :ganishka:

Top Bottom