Starcraft 2

P

Pencil-smith

The Zerg were announced today in Korea. Well, more like yesterday since it's past midnight. Today there should be an official announcement in the US. Korea was obviously chosen because SC is still insanely popular there.

A very thorough report of the event can be found on http://www.sc2armory.com/ or on other fansites, and to a lesser extent on the official SC2 site.
Pretty pictures galore! :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
The HD version of the Zerg in-game footage is on gamevideos.com and probably elsewhere. It's lookin' real sweet.

P

Pencil-smith

Quite so. Together with the new look for a few Protoss units and most Terran buildings, the graphics are shaping up nicely.
And gameplay won't disappoint either, so we're in for a treat.

Unless you care only about Berserk, but then you wouldn't be reading this topic. :serpico:

S

Sanguinius

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3432909/StarCraft-II/Product.html

Found this on play.com (obviously) seems to be that the release date is on 26/09/08. The Blizzard website hasn't given a date there yet, but it's likely they inform distributors of the release date before their fans as they care less about them knowing and want to time their expectations of its release into a media blitz to promote the game.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Sanguinius said:
http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3432909/StarCraft-II/Product.html

Found this on play.com (obviously) seems to be that the release date is on 26/09/08. The Blizzard website hasn't given a date there yet, but it's likely they inform distributors of the release date before their fans as they care less about them knowing and want to time their expectations of its release into a media blitz to promote the game.

I love the silliness you bring to the boards :guts:

Retailers have always started selling pre-orders before an actual release date is announced. It has nothing to do with a developer trying to manage expectations

As for starcraft 2 in september? Yea I doubt that. :schierke:

S

Sanguinius

CnC said:
I love the silliness you bring to the boards :guts:

Retailers have always started selling pre-orders before an actual release date is announced. It has nothing to do with a developer trying to manage expectations

As for starcraft 2 in september? Yea I doubt that. :schierke:

Well it's not just a pre-order, it's a pre-order with a release date, and thanks, I'd like to think I bring some joy to all your lives :ganishka: I think of it as my community service work :casca:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Sanguinius said:
Well it's not just a pre-order, it's a pre-order with a release date,

the release date is estimated to sell pre-orders. Gamestop and pretty much every other place out there does it:
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65548

It, by no means, should be taken as fact.

S

Sanguinius

You could well be right, although the release date with yours comes with that attached warning saying that that is just a random date and is not the actual date, play.com gives no such statement along with their release date but you're still probably right. With this at least we'll have a definate answer come September 26th 2008.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sanguinius said:

duke_forever_pre.jpg

Hahaha, thats true though the "release dates" they put out are just estimated and subject to change and you should only relay on the dates given by the actual developer themselves in this case Blizzard who already said "It will be ready when its done."

S

Sanguinius

Aazealh said:
It's a pre-order receipt from 2001 for a game that isn't out yet.

Of course I know you can pre-order a game, I just thought they might have told the distributors of the release date before they officially announced the release.

I dunno about that, in a lot of cases the distributers (EB, Gamestop, etc) *lie on purpose* about the release date, just to get people to give them money. It works, too.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Sanguinius said:
Of course I know you can pre-order a game, I just thought they might have told the distributors of the release date before they officially announced the release.

Especially in a case like Activision Blizzard, distribution is solely the responsibility of the publisher. Blizzard themselves don't really need to concern themselves with distribution, just devloping the game. And since blizzard is blizzard, they won't announce a release date until they're sure the game's nearly done. So I wouldn't expect to hear anything soon.

We'll likely hear about Wrath of the Lich King before SC2.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well it seems the game will be released as a trilogy in the end, in order not to delay it too much or to have to remove content. Each of the 3 games will contain a campaign, the Terrans being first with StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, the Zerg following with "Heart of the Swarm" and the Protoss closing the story with "Legacy of the Void". Multiplayer should be available from day one, but some units will be exclusive to the solo campaigns. Apparently each campaign should contain between 25 and 30 missions.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure how I feel about releasing it as a trilogy... How much will we be spending to own the full game? No one seems to know... Although, it is going to be cool come launch day, when everyone is "choosing sides." Me? Im a protoss man.

More news: "At the June 2008 Blizzard Worldwide Invitational, Blizzard Executive Vice President Rob Pardo was quoted as saying that development of the campaign was one-third complete and that there would be significantly more to show by the end of 2008."

Source is Wiki.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Not sure how I feel about releasing it as a trilogy... How much will we be spending to own the full game? No one seems to know... Although, it is going to be cool come launch day, when everyone is "choosing sides." Me? Im a protoss man.

Well it's going to be more than if it were just one game, that's for sure. On the other hand, if we get 80+ missions in the end it'll be quite something. Starcraft had only 30 in total. I just hope the price will be reasonable and that it won't cost more than buying a full game with 2 expansion packs.

But I was probably not clear enough in my previous post: the games won't be released simultaneously. It will be Terrans first, then some time later the Zerg and even longer after the Protoss. Basically don't expect the Protoss campaign before 2010.

X

Xem

I eat up anything Starcraft, so I can already tell you I'm ready to be milked thoroughly by this trilogy. :beast:

I'm also going to be watching the Starcraft tournament finals live from Blizzcon: http://www.blizzard.com/blizzcon/video/stream-rts.xml

edit: tournaments over :p savior won 2-0 against nada

edit 2: apparently there's a Starcraft 2 exhibition match coming up next... and yea, i'm editting as I watch

X

Xem

Yeah, it wasn't quite as impressive as I was hoping, apparently they only gave the players a couple hours to learn all the mechanics. BUT I am looking forward to the next recorded match, where two people who do know all the mechanics will be showcasing their skills.

The Starcraft 1 Tournament final was very rivetting (for a big SC nerd like me anyway), reminded me of Boxer a bit with the crazy vulture micro-management.

So awesome.
I've been waiting for this for all my gaming career! :ganishka:
Now seriously, Starcraft was the first game I bought, i was 11yr and i still play it. Truly one of my favorite games ever. And I'm quite psyched about this Blizzard announced its release for Spring '09, right?

About the trilogy, well what can i say? It seems that now it's cool to "launch trilogies", i mean wtf?
But I'm not complaining I'm just saying it's kinda of weird ain't it? (Halo series, Half-Life2 episodes, Mass Effect series, and i can't remember more).
Otherwise i think it's gonna be uber cool to play again with "Jim" Raynor.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I was loling at the gameplay commentary, as if it's a sports game. :ganishka:

The quality is quite gross, and it makes details impossible to see. Ohhh I have to click the Watch in HD button below fullscreen. So that's what it was trying to tell me earlier ... :schierke:

Top Bottom