Starcraft 2

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
I was loling at the gameplay commentary, as if it's a sports game. :ganishka:

The quality is quite gross, and it makes details impossible to see. Ohhh I have to click the Watch in HD button below fullscreen. So that's what it was trying to tell me earlier ... :schierke:

Seriously. That commentary made me gasp for air.

So its a lot like Voltron right? I laughed at the Dr. Ron _VOLT_ part. :ganishka:

I wonder if multiple units will have to _UNITE_ to become it :isidro:

I think that would probably warrant a full purchase of all three games if that's the case... ...

Any firm release date on this yet because i hope diablo three and starcraft two arent in direct competition theyre' two of my favorite series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kalie Ma said:
Any firm release date on this yet because i hope diablo three and starcraft two arent in direct competition theyre' two of my favorite series.

Hahaha, do you seriously believe Blizzard would fuck this up? Don't worry about them, they'll release each game at a very strategic date, and they won't hinder the other one's sales.

As for the Voltron unit, it does look fun. =)

Kalie Ma said:
I wonder if multiple units will have to _UNITE_ to become it :isidro:

Check the videos royoak posted...

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
Hahaha, do you seriously believe Blizzard would fuck this up?

Fuck no. I'm pre-ordering this bitch once I get the money. Along with all those other things I keep meaning to order. I just can't help but think this is some sort of joke.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Another round of SC2 is shown here, this time for about 20 minutes between the Terrans and Zergs (while annoying announcers treat this like its the goddamned Super Bowl).

http://www.starcraftwire.net/blog/comments/battle-report-2-live/

I watched this while on the clock :badbone:

X

Xem

Walter said:
Another round of SC2 is shown here, this time for about 20 minutes between the Terrans and Zergs (while annoying announcers treat this like its the goddamned Super Bowl).

http://www.starcraftwire.net/blog/comments/battle-report-2-live/

I watched this while on the clock :badbone:

Nice!

That was the first time I've seen decent players display what SC2 is capable of and I have to say I'm salivating. It's good to see that all the basics are still there, this is simply an updated version of Starcraft, and that's exactly what I wanted.

I check blizzard's website multiple times a day for updates on Starcraft II and Diablo III. I did have some doubts about Starcraft II. Not that it didn't look fun, but most of the stuff they had shown just felt like small additions or decorative changes; they didn't feel like improvements on gaping flaws or something that would make the game feel one dimension deeper. For example, having some units that can step up and down cliffs, being able to warp in troops, talking to people between missions, or choosing what technologies to unlock are welcome, new features, but it takes more to make a sequel feel like a true evolution as opposed to a very large patch. However, this article talks about some very promising additions:

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1158

We've got a mission right now where every five minutes, lava rises and kills everything on the ground. Everything dies. You've got to get to the high ground or die. We've got a mission right now where infested Terrans are attacking at night, but they're hiding in the ground by day, so you need to just hold out all night long like you're in I Am Legend. Like, "I've got to live!" and then day, "Get 'em! Kill 'em while they sleep!" And you run out and you burn everything as fast as you can, and then when darkness starts coming you have to get back and hide out.

We've got missions where you're trying to defend a Terran colony that's getting infested one piece at a time, and you've got to try to put out all these fires while fighting off these infested units. We've got this mission where you are a lone ghost trying to influence the course of an entire battle. So each of these missions is like a little minigame.
[...]
We've got missions where you're racing against the Zerg, both fighting your way to the same Protoss base trying to reach a goal. We've got battles on ancient forbidden space platforms wherethe very space itself damages your units.

One of the biggest flaws of Starcraft was that so many of the single player missions could be finished by repeating the same tactics. As an example, I was able to beat every mission in the first Zerg campaign (where mutalisks are available), by training nothing but mutalisks. And though the story had described missions in unique ways, many of them boiled down to defending your base(s) and destroying the enemy's base(s). But this concept of making every mission a minigame is a great way to address that. It also makes choosing what upgrades to buy before missions more crucial since you'll have to be adaptable to new situations. It looks promising, but it all depends on the details, so I'm not making an absolute conclusion about the game before it comes out because of this.

There are a couple of features that I hope they would consider adding: being able to command your army to always maintain a specific shape (like 1 row of dragoons in the back and 1 row of zealots in front, for example), and having some customization for individual unit or unit type A.I. (prioritizing what to attack, when to retreat, when to use an ability, etc...).

X

Xem

seppuku said:
There are a couple of features that I hope they would consider adding: being able to command your army to always maintain a specific shape (like 1 row of dragoons in the back and 1 row of zealots in front, for example), and having some customization for individual unit or unit type A.I. (prioritizing what to attack, when to retreat, when to use an ability, etc...).

That would take away from a lot of the skill necessary at the pro-levels though. Watch some SlayerS_`Boxer` videos to see what I mean. Though maybe they could add a feature like that, that you could turn off for serious games...

I'd never be able to talk my friends into not using it though. :azan:

Deci said:
That would take away from a lot of the skill necessary at the pro-levels though. Watch some SlayerS_`Boxer` videos to see what I mean. Though maybe they could add a feature like that, that you could turn off for serious games...

Not necessarily. Every opponent and situation that you face will be unique in some way, so you wouldn't be able to rely 100% on your customized AI just like you can't rely 100% on your default AI. It would be a nice change, for example if I didn't have to tell my goliaths to attack wraiths instead of marines. And designing a good A.I. would add more that you would need to think about, so it would require more skill.

In Starcraft, there are a lot of choke points and too many of them lead to your troops positioning themselves the wrong way. I don't want to have to waste time ordering my dragoons to get behind my zealots as my army moved forward; I would like them to do it automatically. And each player uses army shape in a different way; it would reward the player for a well designed strategy and for knowing when to deviate from it. These additions would get rid of some of the less interesting micromanagement so that both that players could spend more time on situations that required fast, clever thinking.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
So I haven't seen anyone mention that Starcraft 2 will not have local LAN capabilities and you will have to go through battlenet 2.0 for anything multi-player. Seems kinda bleh to me. :???:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
So I haven't seen anyone mention that Starcraft 2 will not have local LAN capabilities and you will have to go through battlenet 2.0 for anything multi-player. Seems kinda bleh to me. :???:
It's about what I expected Blizzard to do. Wave of the future, man, everything must go through the all-seeing eye of BLIZZARD. Doesn't really affect me. In high school I hosted several LANs, but these days it's more convenient to just do it online.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
It's about what I expected Blizzard to do. Wave of the future, man, everything must go through the all-seeing eye of BLIZZARD. Doesn't really affect me. In high school I hosted several LANs, but these days it's more convenient to just do it online.
People in other boards have mentioned this but it's probably going to be the same for Diablo 3 which is a bummer because my wife and I were going to want to check fools together with local lan but I suppose if we can just make a private game or what not... meh.

Starcraft II

My god at the Starcraft II map editor

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/blizzcon-09-starcraft-ii/54901

They went into a third person view and made a Third person shooter (reminds me of starcraft ghost) and a classic shoot 'em up with just the editor. You can also modify units with no C++ coding required :carcus:.

Confirmed for next year! :ubik:

2ymj75x.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5403098/starcraft-ii-expansions-diablo-iii-coming-in-next-few-years

Not Diablo III, though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I saw that earlier today. It wasn't a big surprise, but it's nice to see that it's "confirmed" by this apparent PowerPoint slideshow. Too bad about D3 though Oh well... at least fans in need of a Diablo fix can spike their veins with Torchlight for the coming months.

I'm always happy to see some news on the release dates of Blizzard stuff. You never know when they decide to stop making a game, even though it's almost done.

Oh Warcraft Adventures, how I waited for you. :judo:

turkitage

ターク
I didn't get beta. I signed up for it and didn't get selected = [

It sucks, but I really can't wait for this game. Pretty much grew up on starcraft then warcraft III.

Top Bottom