Starcraft 2

X

Xem

In Brood War, you should often literally send your first unit after you scout immediately in the beginning. By the time you find them and hopefully keep your scouter alive and nearby, you will usually be done with your first barracks or whatever, then send your first attack unit. The only time this wouldn't work is if you are going hard up the tech tree, which is really risky but amazingly effective if you know your safe to pull it off.

Try to keep your units alive as long as possible. A worker unit could start building a gas extractor where your opponent needs to if they haven't already, and cancel it before they destroy it to save minerals. Another fun thing I've seen is have your worker unit try and follow their worker unit that's building stuff to prevent them from being able to. Keeping a unit where their natural expansion should land is a great strategy. Not only does it slow them down on expanding, but you know exactly when they do it. There's all sorts of stuff to do to drive them crazy, really, it goes on and on.

If they are determined to kill your harassment units then spread them out and keep them moving. The other side to all of this type of stuff is your focusing a lot on micromanagement, but if you're good with hot-keys and such you should only need to actually look at your base for a couple seconds every once in a while.

A quick tip on when your attacking with a bigger force. You may know this already, but never send them in a line. Get them to the brink of battle and line them up like you would see in old battlefield, then send them in all together. Spread your ranged units out so enemy melee have a harder time going from one kill to the next. When you notice certain units being attacked, pull them back a bit, then resend them forward. This confuses the enemy units AI into walking straight to their death without really hitting anything. For melee units, clicking behind your target is effective, then when your units are all in the middle of theirs, click attack. This stops ranged units from being able to escape before taking serious losses.... once again I haven't played SC2, so some of the mechanics could have changed how some of this stuff works, but I think the essentials should still be there. Always be flexible, if you realize your enemy has figured out what you're up to, change your strategy. If he thinks you're going hard mutalisks, for example, he's going to start creating anti-air and destroy you. Change to something else, like buffed Zerglings. This may seem like a waste of money, but the key is to make him waste more than you. When I was scouted back in Brood War during the beginning of the game I used to try to make it look like I was going to do something I wasn't. For example, I would start upgrading my Hatchery instantly or building a Hydralisk den. Then when I killed or scared off his scouter, I'd cancel those and expand quickly. By the time battle came, he'd wouldn't understand what happened. Keep him on his toes at all times.

Damn, now I really can't wait for SC2 :iva:

EDIT

I just re-read your post Walter and I'm not sure if I addressed your question correctly... it has been like 7 years since I played. =P

Obviously just like real war, in Brood War you'd make attacks that aren't necessarily targeted toward winning the game in one fell swoop. Strategic attacks such as destroying worker units, supply depots (or overlords and pylons), condensed armies that are gathering, or whatever... are essential to winning the game in the long run. From memory the most effective strategy would be a drop of a small number of units that can harass for a long period of time. Or... the prevention of their expansion for a long period of time.

As far as drops go..... those strategies change faster than the new style of flip-flops, so I sadly can't say much. The key is to know their tech build and counter act that. This probably sounds like common sense, but if they're going for a massive zerg, use units that do massive splash damage in a short period of time. If they're going for the hard hitters, try to distract those units away while you drop on his economy when they aren't looking. Lastly, the most important information I can give on a drop is, once you see backup arriving, pull out. Like I said earlier, keep your units alive as long as possible. It's all about resources. Even if you think you're going to lose your ground units, don't risk your drop ship. Even sending an empty drop ship into the enemy base has a psychological effect on your enemy. Think about it, they don't know it's empty, so when they see it they'll send reinforcements there in preparation, in which case you can attack from another front.

The best strategy for preventing their expansion is easy. Place a worker/scouter unit, or if you can a stealth unit, at literally every expansion location possible. Know the map as if you had a map hack. I can't tell you how many times I got called out for hacking simply because I knew exactly where my opponent was just because they couldn't figure out what I was doing. A logical though sometimes risky maneuver I'd pull using this strategy was having a unit at a point of expansion but not necessarily using it to block their attempt. I'd take note of it, let them build it up just a little bit, then slip in and annihilate it before it had any real defenses. That completely wrecks their resources.

been playing the Beta like a madman these past days and it's a complete joy :ubik:

im on almost every night so if anyone want a friendly 1v1 or 2v2 im up for it
my Battlenet account is asic.aku

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I had to cancel my pre-order for the Collector's Edition this month because of lack of funds. :sad: I'll probably download the regular version off Blizzard's online store next month after I get paid.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I had to cancel my pre-order for the Collector's Edition this month because of lack of funds. :sad: I'll probably download the regular version off Blizzard's online store next month after I get paid.
I'm kind of in the same position. The game comes out next week, but because rent is due that week, I'm going to have to wait to buy my copy until the next paycheck :judo:

We've waited 12 years, we can wait longer. :guts:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
I'm kind of in the same position. The game comes out next week, but because rent is due that week, I'm going to have to wait to buy my copy until the next paycheck :judo:

We've waited 12 years, we can wait longer. :guts:

Haha, exactly. I need to finish replaying the first game anyway. :guts:

turkitage

ターク
can't believe no one has posted on this! Starcraft 2 came out today people!!!!

Picked up my copy of SC2 today and I am loving it!!! (I also picked up Blazblue continuum shift but only like 2 of you on this forum actually play this series).

Of course it's similar to the beta so there was not too many drastic changes but I'm so glad I can play this game anytime i want now!!!

I'm still super pissed at achievements popping up IN THE MIDDLE OF MY GAME and no chat rooms. If there was a way to disable achievements I would. It's just a retarded feature to have on a competitive game. I hope to see tournaments of this game with achievements popping up and messing up that players micro. stupid xbox guy making the game UI n stuff. anyways, aside from those the game is still awesome.

Also, yes you can talk about all those other competitive gaming like Call of Duty, and.. um those other boring FPS games.... that I'm sure have achievements too; but this is an intense RTS game that doesn't need this crap.

Not on my PC now but I think there might be a way to disable them from popping up in game.. if so great, if not.. Blizzard you suck!

I plan on picking it up soon but I'm in no huge rush. Apparently the campaign story (which is what I'm mostly interested in) is very incomplete due to their choice to push it into the two upcoming add-ons but Blizzard has stated that it may be 12 months to 18 months before we even see Heart of the Swarm or whatever and another year after that for the last part so... yeah.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
A coworker of mine just let me know that she has an extra collector's edition and that I can pay her next month after my first paycheck. She's bringing it in tomorrow morning. So stoked! :ubik:

I got Starcraft 2 at the midnight release and so far so good. My computer is 3 years old and was probably mid-level for its time but this game runs amazingly smooth if I put the graphics on low, even when there are 70+ units on screen. I'm playing through the practice league. Matchmaking isn't perfect and I still need to learn good micro (like NOT putting your ravens on the front lines) but it's still a ton of fun. I played through 14 games straight and want to figure out how to pull off a reaper rush. The single player is just as good as the promotional footage. My favorite so far was the zombie horror survival one.

I've played some of the original Starcraft and there are definitely some huge non-graphics related improvements. Troops automatically move out the way for someone to get to their destination. The unit selection limit has been eliminated! You can queue up SCVs to directly start mining when they come from the command center. The Zerg and Terran have a lot more base structures and options; I haven't played Protoss yet. There is an actual, tangible incentive to complete bonus objectives: unlocked troop and base upgrades. The missions themselves are far less repetitive and require a variation of tactics.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I didn't realize that only the terran campaign has been released. Interesting...although, there's an unlockable protoss mini-campaign, as well. Can't wait to start playing this weekend!

I got it and am completely addicted to the single player campaign, It's really great.

Blizzard knows how to make some CGI, I'll tell you that. (And pretty chicks!)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I didn't realize that only the terran campaign has been released. Interesting...although, there's an unlockable protoss mini-campaign, as well. Can't wait to start playing this weekend!
Yeah, we've known since about 2007 that they'd release 3 different titles for SC2, each having a single-player campaign focusing on one race. How that will work for multiplayer remains to be seen. Right now you can use either of the 3 races. But indications are that each expansion will add a few units to each race, but as far as I know, that's not confirmed.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Yeah, we've known since about 2007 that they'd release 3 different titles for SC2, each having a single-player campaign focusing on one race.

Since '07?! Haha, I'm so out of the loop. :ganishka:

I'm at work right now but I took a look through the collector's edition and I'm geeking out. I can't wait to play it this weekend.

I have been playing sooo much since I bought it. mostly tower defense and 1v1's. Cant wait till they have some tournaments at the computer cafe's where I live at. Game is a lot better than I thought it would be.

I have 1 cd key guest pass left if any sk.net member wants to try the game for a while before buying.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I haven't played any of the multiplayer yet, as that's not really my thing, but I'm three missions into the single player campaign and I'm loving it so far. The graphics are incredible, the storyline is awesome and the game is a lot of fun to play.

Rhombaad said:
I haven't played any of the multiplayer yet, as that's not really my thing

You should try the custom games out. Most of them are not so competitive, good for relieving some stress actually. Like mini-games! There are some awesome ones, I'm totally addicted to Nexus Wars.

We all have to play together sometime!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Eluvei said:
You should try the custom games out. Most of them are not so competitive, good for relieving some stress actually. Like mini-games! There are some awesome ones, I'm totally addicted to Nexus Wars.

We all have to play together sometime!

Sounds good, I'll do just that! I loved the Lost Viking mini-game in the Cantina. Up-scrolling shooters were some of my favorite arcade games back in the day.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
Mothership rush on a tournament: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbSodiGyABg

:isidro:
As surprising as it was, the other guy was a moron for frontloading his base with so many units and leaving his rear and sides undefended.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I just finished the Liberty Campaign last night. Has anyone else here beat the single player game? If so, what are your thoughts (please use spoiler tags in case there are others here who haven't finished the campaign yet)?

Rhombaad said:
I just finished the Liberty Campaign last night. Has anyone else here beat the single player game? If so, what are your thoughts (please use spoiler tags in case there are others here who haven't finished the campaign yet)?

I thought the campaign was pretty nicely done. The way they introduce a new unit every mission, the little "briefing rooms" and the upgrades made it fun all the time. About the story, well, to be honest, I don't know what to make of it. It was a very small game compared to SC1 in terms of stuff happening, mostly because it focused on the characters rather than the situation of war between the species (yeah this may be "fixed" on the expansions). I don't like the idea of the zergs being on the "good" side against a bigger threat. What I liked about SC1 was how you picked a race knowing you were gonna do stuff, wirthout thinking if it was good or bad. Every evil deeds on SC2 had a little explanation trying to make it look like you did the right thing. "It's ok to steal religious artifacts from the protoss BECAUSE THEY'RE ACTUALLY EVIL PROTOSS TRAITORS" etc. But overall I liked it, they could do a lot worse with the story I think. Every level was pretty cool and unique, and I didn't mind the bad writing because Thycus is pretty much the best character in the series. Hell Jimmy.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Eluvei said:
I thought the campaign was pretty nicely done. The way they introduce a new unit every mission, the little "briefing rooms" and the upgrades made it fun all the time.

I really liked that you got a new unit every mission. Along with the upgrades, mercenaries and different objectives, it kept the missions extremely interesting and fun.

Eluvei said:
About the story, well, to be honest, I don't know what to make of it. It was a very small game compared to SC1 in terms of stuff happening, mostly because it focused on the characters rather than the situation of war between the species (yeah this may be "fixed" on the expansions).

I agree, although as you say, I think it has more to do with this being Part 1 of 3 than anything else. I'm interested in how the story will continue in Heart of the Swarm.

Eluvei said:
I don't like the idea of the zergs being on the "good" side against a bigger threat. What I liked about SC1 was how you picked a race knowing you were gonna do stuff, wirthout thinking if it was good or bad. Every evil deeds on SC2 had a little explanation trying to make it look like you did the right thing. "It's ok to steal religious artifacts from the protoss BECAUSE THEY'RE ACTUALLY EVIL PROTOSS TRAITORS" etc. But overall I liked it, they could do a lot worse with the story I think. Every level was pretty cool and unique, and I didn't mind the bad writing because Thycus is pretty much the best character in the series. Hell Jimmy.

I was pretty surprised they went that route. I thought the fact that the Overmind was actually forced to annihilate the other races by the Fallen One was an interesting twist. I'm really glad they didn't make the Xel'Naga the new bad guys; it appears as if there's only one of them who's a bad egg. As for stealing the religious artifacts, I thought it was pretty funny that they conjured up fanatic protoss for you to fight in those instances to make your actions seem justified, like you said.

The ending seemed a bit abrupt, but that may have been because I didn't realize I was on the last mission at the time. :ganishka: I think it also has to do with the fact that this is one of three parts to the whole StarCraft II story. The writing wasn't terrible, but it was far from brilliant/original (although I wasn't expecting them to actually save Kerrigan at the end, even though I think it will turn out to be temporary). The story, for the most part, progressed like I thought it would. Tychus' betrayal was no surprise, but it was disappointing. I had hoped from the very beginning that he might just be playing both sides or that he would end up betraying Arcturus instead of Raynor. Oh well. He was my favorite character, too. No matter how lame the dialogue, he always sounded awesome.

Speaking of the dialogue, it was so cliche at times that I honestly thought Metzen might have been taking chunks of other story's dialogue and adding it to the game. Most of the time it sounded like I'd heard all of the lines before, but in some other medium or story. The voice acting was top notch, aside from Dr. Hanson and Kerrigan, whose voice actress was my least favorite of all. They made the Queen of Blades look way too attractive, as well. I wish they'd taken more from her original design instead of turning her into an infested person in every way but her face (and the "high heels"? blegh).
[/quote]

Rhombaad said:
The ending seemed a bit abrupt, but that may have been because I didn't realize I was on the last mission at the time.

No, it was definitely abrupt. Kerrigan showed up for full ten seconds in this game before the last mission. Did you get the "DON'T GIVE UP JIM" dialogue from her in the end? If you didn't, I'll tell you: to some people, on the last mission, the non-infested Kerrigan's avatar shows up and tells you not to give up when you're almost dying. It's pretty ridiculous. I wonder what they were thinking when they thought that would be cool.

And honestly, saying it's just the first of a trilogy is no excuse to me. I sure hope the last two games will be completely free of charge for us if we're so forgiving of this first episode. It's like saying something terrible in a game is excusable because there will be sequels. Fuck them!

Rhombaad said:
Tychus' betrayal was no surprise, but it was disappointing. I had hoped from the very beginning that he might just be playing both sides or that he would end up betraying Arcturus instead of Raynor. Oh well. He was my favorite character, too. No matter how lame the dialogue, he always sounded awesome.

Haha yeah, especially on the mission to steal the Odin. Every line was delivered perfectly. You know, maybe it's better to kill him off like they did, because he'd never be the focus of any other games again anyway. Let's just hope they don't turn him into a stupid infested terran or something like that.

Speaking of the dialogue, it was so cliche at times that I honestly thought Metzen might have been taking chunks of other story's dialogue and adding it to the game. Most of the time it sounded like I'd heard all of the lines before, but in some other medium or story. The voice acting was top notch, aside from Dr. Hanson and Kerrigan, whose voice actress was my least favorite of all. They made the Queen of Blades look way too attractive, as well. I wish they'd taken more from her original design instead of turning her into an infested person in every way but her face (and the "high heels"? blegh).

I totally agree. The dialogue was pretty ridiculous, I even started to think it was intentional at some point. If Thycus didn't exist I'd mute the game and skip all scenes. About Kerrigan's visuals and voice, I agree as well. She should be a rotten being, half-terran half-vermin after 4 years as a zerg, vomiting green stuff and being far crazier than she is. Well, you know man, we can't ask too much of the people that gave female protoss tits. Female protoss have Titties, Rhombaad. They're mammals. Also, Nova looks EXACTLY like non-infested Kerrigan on SC2. Look at their avatars on Bnet and compare them yourself, it's like they swapped color palletes and called it a day. It's obvious they're not concerned with originality or making something memorable for this universe.

Top Bottom