Starcraft 2

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Eluvei said:
No, it was definitely abrupt. Kerrigan showed up for full ten seconds in this game before the last mission. Did you get the "DON'T GIVE UP JIM" dialogue from her in the end? If you didn't, I'll tell you: to some people, on the last mission, the non-infested Kerrigan's avatar shows up and tells you not to give up when you're almost dying. It's pretty ridiculous. I wonder what they were thinking when they thought that would be cool.

Haha, I did actually. It was a little weird and didn't make much sense to me because she was still infested. I'm guessing it was supposed to be the last bit of good in her calling out to you or something. I thought it was a bit corny, too.

Eluvei said:
And honestly, saying it's just the first of a trilogy is no excuse to me. I sure hope the last two games will be completely free of charge for us if we're so forgiving of this first episode. It's like saying something terrible in a game is excusable because there will be sequels. Fuck them!

True, but if the first game had been divided into three portions and ended with the establishment of the Terran Dominion, it would've seemed abrupt, as well. I'm not excusing the abruptness nor the lack of originality, merely pointing out a pattern.

Eluvei said:
Haha yeah, especially on the mission to steal the Odin. Every line was delivered perfectly. You know, maybe it's better to kill him off like they did, because he'd never be the focus of any other games again anyway. Let's just hope they don't turn him into a stupid infested terran or something like that.

Ugh, that would be the worst. If a character dies, they need to stay dead.

Eluvei said:
I totally agree. The dialogue was pretty ridiculous, I even started to think it was intentional at some point. If Thycus didn't exist I'd mute the game and skip all scenes. About Kerrigan's visuals and voice, I agree as well. She should be a rotten being, half-terran half-vermin after 4 years as a zerg, vomiting green stuff and being far crazier than she is.

No kidding. Especially considering that every other infested person is totally bugged out. Her appearance reminds me of Angelina Jolie's character in the CGBeowulf movie that came out a few years ago (high heels and everything).

Eluvei said:
Well, you know man, we can't ask too much of the people that gave female protoss tits. Female protoss have Titties, Rhombaad. They're mammals.

Haha, hey I'm not opposed to female characters having large breasts, but you're right, in the context of the game it makes no sense whatsoever.

Eluvei said:
Also, Nova looks EXACTLY like non-infested Kerrigan on SC2. Look at their avatars on Bnet and compare them yourself, it's like they swapped color palletes and called it a day. It's obvious they're not concerned with originality or making something memorable for this universe.

I noticed that, as well. Maybe they ran out of time at the very last minute or something. Pretty lazy, if you ask me.
Thankfully, Nova only pops up for a second, but who knows how long she'll be in future games. At least Kerrigan looked different in the flashback cutscene.

Speaking of which, the cutscenes were spectacular. I'm glad they didn't overwhelm us with the pre-rendered ones, either. Four were perfectly fine and the in game cutscenes were really well done, too.

Rhombaad said:
Haha, I did actually. It was a little weird and didn't make much sense to me because she was still infested. I'm guessing it was supposed to be the last bit of good in her calling out to you or something. I thought it was a bit corny, too.

Yeah, the last bit of good in her forgot to take off the Ghost gear when it showed up to sparkle some sweet hope. I hope they retcon it by saying it was Nova, and she had dyed her hair that day. :guts:

Rhombaad said:
No kidding. Especially considering that every other infested person is totally bugged out. Her appearance reminds me of Angelina Jolie's character in the CGBeowulf movie that came out a few years ago (high heels and everything).

Haha yeah. It does look like her!

Rhombaad said:
I noticed that, as well. Maybe they ran out of time at the very last minute or something. Pretty lazy, if you ask me.
Thankfully, Nova only pops up for a second, but who knows how long she'll be in future games. At least Kerrigan looked different in the flashback cutscene.
My guess is that they wanted the artists to go with the most idealized beautiful women so the nerds would go crazy, and didn't even realize they ended up looking the same. Or female ghosts are genetically modified to look like that :iva:. Oh yeah, that flachback cutscene is probably my favorite in the game. I like how they made Raynor bald and with that expression he had in the briefing room of the first game.

Rhombaad said:
Speaking of which, the cutscenes were spectacular. I'm glad they didn't overwhelm us with the pre-rendered ones, either. Four were perfectly fine and the in game cutscenes were really well done, too.

Man, all cutscenes were fantastic. I agree, the in game ones were terrific as well. The overall presentation of the game is one of the best I've seen. Blizzard knows how to make some climatic stuff!

Well, even if the game sucked, the Thor pilot would make up for anything negative. "Stick around!" :ganishka:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Eluvei said:
Yeah, the last bit of good in her forgot to take off the Ghost gear when it showed up to sparkle some sweet hope. I hope they retcon it by saying it was Nova, and she had dyed her hair that day. :guts:

:ganishka:

Eluvei said:
Well, even if the game sucked, the Thor pilot would make up for anything negative. "Stick around!" :ganishka:

I wouldn't go so far as to say the game sucks. It was a lot of fun to play and the presentation was amazing, like you said. It has a lot of faults, but I think its strengths far outway them. Despite the problems I had with the story's lack of originality and terrible dialogue, I still enjoyed playing the game and can't wait for the next one. Let's just hope they improve upon this installments weak points with Heart of the Swarm.

Rhombaad said:
I wouldn't go so far as to say the game sucks. It was a lot of fun to play and the presentation was amazing, like you said. It has a lot of faults, but I think its strengths far outway them. Despite the problems I had with the story's lack of originality and terrible dialogue, I still enjoyed playing the game and can't wait for the next one. Let's just hope they improve upon this installments weak points with Heart of the Swarm.

Oh, me neither, I was just being a bastard. I totally agree with your post. The things we talked about are almost nitpicks since what I think they focused on (the campaign missions and everything surrounding them) was delivered perfectly. This is the sequel I was waiting for and I'm also looking forward to Heart of the Swarm.
I'm really curious about how they're gonna make the "briefing rooms" with the zerg!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I have SC2, but haven't bothered to finish it yet. So far, the game has yet to sink its claws into me the way I thought it would. The mission design is brilliant, don't get me wrong. That's actually the strongest feature of the game to me. Blizzard found ways to reinvent the playing field for each level by adding some unique mechanics. This makes the campaign missions far easier to stomach than in SC1's, where the basic forumula was "build base, ramp up troop production, steamroll enemy base."

That being said, the story isn't as compelling and is a little predictable to me... I know I should finish it to see the whole picture, and I will... someday!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Eluvei said:
I'm really curious about how they're gonna make the "briefing rooms" with the zerg!

Me, too! I wonder if Kerrigan is in control of them even though she's been returned to normal. If so, maybe Raynor and his gang will stick around to populate the Zerg briefings.

Walter said:
I have SC2, but haven't bothered to finish it yet. So far, the game has yet to sink its claws into me the way I thought it would. The mission design is brilliant, don't get me wrong. That's actually the strongest feature of the game to me. Blizzard found ways to reinvent the playing field for each level by adding some unique mechanics. This makes the campaign missions far easier to stomach than in SC1's, where the basic forumula was "build base, ramp up troop production, steamroll enemy base."

Yeah, the game play has improved so much it's not even funny. It's amazing how many different missions they were able to come up with. What mission are you on at the moment?

Walter said:
That being said, the story isn't as compelling and is a little predictable to me... I know I should finish it to see the whole picture, and I will... someday!

Keep at it! I'd love to hear your thoughts once you've finished the game.

Rhombaad said:
Me, too! I wonder if Kerrigan is in control of them even though she's been returned to normal. If so, maybe Raynor and his gang will stick around to populate the Zerg briefings.
Apparently Heart of the Swarm will takes Warcraft III's hero system during the single player campaign. You will make Kerrigan stronger and have Zerg support while she does this. The more powerful she is, the more zerg you control.
this kinda makes sense, remember how at the end her hair is still like the queen of blades. As well as high Psi energy can control the zerg(remember those Psi emitters in part 1?). Kerrigan does have a high amount of psi energy, adding to it will only increase the amount of zerg she controls
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/starcraft-2/918963p2.html

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Evilvito said:
Apparently Heart of the Swarm will takes Warcraft III's hero system during the single player campaign. You will make Kerrigan stronger and have Zerg support while she does this. The more powerful she is, the more zerg you control.
this kinda makes sense, remember how at the end her hair is still like the queen of blades. As well as high Psi energy can control the zerg(remember those Psi emitters in part 1?). Kerrigan does have a high amount of psi energy, adding to it will only increase the amount of zerg she controls
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/starcraft-2/918963p2.html

That could be pretty interesting. I imagine the missions will have the same level of variation and ingenuity as they did in Wings of Liberty.

yesmilord

千年王国
Ever since SC2 came out I've been semi-neglecting the whole world. I actually didn't predict this would happen, as I never invested too much time into the original Starcraft. I suppose I am a fool for thinking I could escape Blizzard's clutches - I already sold my soul to them a looooooong time ago. And I can't decide whether to end this with a smiley face or a frowning face because it's both lol :) :(

yesmilord said:
Ever since SC2 came out I've been semi-neglecting the whole world. I actually didn't predict this would happen, as I never invested too much time into the original Starcraft. I suppose I am a fool for thinking I could escape Blizzard's clutches - I already sold my soul to them a looooooong time ago. And I can't decide whether to end this with a smiley face or a frowning face because it's both lol :) :(
I sold my soul back in 1999 :guts:

Top Bottom