The Dark Knight

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: The Dark Knight (7/18/08)

handsome rakshas said:
Youtube link to new trailer, looks great! New villain at 2:03!
Looks great indeed. Im more and more psyched about seeing Ledger in this one than the actual movie. And as for the new villain. Well, maybe later on :carcus:

X

Xem

Just found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzzTFJWOOXk&NR=1

Jack Nicholson on Heath Ledger's Death​

Not really sure what that means... "I warned'em?" Still spiteful? :judo:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Maybe he was right, because I couldn't tell if that was that Jack Nicholson or the Joker in that video.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"

I'm not particularly sure if the cable service Comcast applies to all states, however. There's an interesting feature on the "On Demand" menu. 2 side shows of "Gotham View" a apparently news programing within the Batman world, gives us a slight explanations and intro of things to come in this next film. If you have this service, it's intereting to see it. There's also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL5H2-iOsUY

Now apparently this animation story performs the same technique as the Wachowsky Bros. did on their animated Matrix short films. Look somewhat interesting but meh, thought I'd brought it up here.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

I think the animation thing is getting a Blu-ray release, which makes me happy =)

Also, it looks like I'll be going to the IMAX to see the movie. I was lucky enough to see Batman Begins in IMAX, and I firmly believe it helped in leaving a good impression.

Now see? Much, much more interested in picking up this animated Batman on Blu-ray than I am Star Wars. At least I expext some quality on the Batman front.

batsnewpostersmall.jpg

pretty cool imo

As to the Two Face thing, he's in the movie. There have been several viral videos basically confirming it as well as some leaked images.

You can find the videos on youtube.

"Harvey I thought you were dead"

"Half"

Just the other day my friend got me IMAX tickets. I was pretty psyched, who cares if it's at 3A.M. in the morning!!

Oburi

All praise Grail

I just bought the Batman gotham night thing on dvd. Can't wait to watch it. It does remind me of the animatrix. I'll post my expert review on it later on tonight.

Saw it last night, thought it was really good. Dunno why it came out so early over here but I ain't complaining. ^_^

I wasn't particularly fond of Heath's previous movies but he really stole the movie. I'm a Bale fan but the Joker in this movie is one of the most entertaining, interesting and unique antagonists I've seen on screen.
Having the novelty of his death over the movie may have stretched the chances of rose coloured lenses, but he really was fucking brilliant, made Jack Nicholson's portrayal look considerably inferior and I like Nicholson.

The movie had a few parts that were so so, but what movie doesn't. Aside from the dark and gritty change with the new movies, IMO even the original two Michael Keaton versions don't come close in regards to the story, characters and direction, pretty much also sums up my thoughts on the new Bond movie.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

Sparnage said:
Saw it last night, thought it was really good. Dunno why it came out so early over here but I ain't complaining. ^_^

I wasn't particularly fond of Heath's previous movies but he really stole the movie. I'm a Bale fan but the Joker in this movie is one of the most entertaining, interesting and unique antagonists I've seen on screen.
Having the novelty of his death over the movie may have stretched the chances of rose coloured lenses, but he really was fucking brilliant, made Jack Nicholson's portrayal look considerably inferior and I like Nicholson.

Nice! Glad you enjoyed it. :serpico:

Sparnage said:
Aside from the dark and gritty change with the new movies, IMO even the original two Michael Keaton versions don't come close in regards to the story, characters and direction, pretty much also sums up my thoughts on the new Bond movie.

I'm really looking forward to The Quantum of Solace after seeing the trailer a couple weeks ago.

Rhombaad said:
I'm really looking forward to The Quantum of Solace after seeing the trailer a couple weeks ago.

Same, although I'm a tad concerned to the change in directors it still looks sweet.

BTW, look forward to the Jokers magic pencil trick. XD

Oh and Griff, you may notice they don't rely on quick, overused editing during the action scenes, I thought it was a big improvement.

Griffith

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=dark-knight-shift-why-bat

Becoming a real life Batman. =)
Basically, it analyzes Batman as if he were an elite athlete.

i'm supposed to be at an ill-advised midnight showing tomorrow, even though i have to work the next day at *roughly* 8am.

something, however, tells me that my friend has yet to get the tickets........

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Well I've seen it and its very good, it really is the Joker Show! I don't want to give away too much but Heath really shines and Aaron Ekhart plays Two Face very well. The best part about it was me and my bud were the only two in the theater so we got to laugh and hoot as loud as we wanted. Tomorrow IMAX!

Edit: After a second viewing I kind of still like Batman Begins a little better. There was simply not enough Scarecrow in this one!

Griffith

Sparnage said:
BTW, look forward to the Jokers magic pencil trick. XD

That was excellent. Though I liked his "uniform" better. :carcus:

Sparnage said:
Oh and Griff, you may notice they don't rely on quick, overused editing during the action scenes, I thought it was a big improvement.

Agreed, I noticed that almost immediately in the parking garage, though there were still a few quick cuts here and there. =)

Sparnage said:

I agree with everything except Nicholson's performance as Joker being inferior, they're really incomparably different portrayals. Both "The Joker", but totally different characterizations; Nicholson's the classic embodiment, and Ledger more modern avant garde, and I wouldn't disparage either.
Speaking of which, it's a shame Heath isn't around to reprise the role, those lines about them engaging each other forever sure were ironic, and I'm having nightmares of Johnny Depp doing his Willy Wonka impression with lipstick and green hair. Curiosity aside, they should probably retire the character from this incarnation of the Batman series. Shame though.

Sparnage said:
The movie had a few parts that were so so, but what movie doesn't. Aside from the dark and gritty change with the new movies, IMO even the original two Michael Keaton versions don't come close in regards to the story, characters and direction, pretty much also sums up my thoughts on the new Bond movie.

Again I must disagree, at least to retroactively maligning the 1989 movie. People are forgetting it's virtues, in many ways it's strengths are the weaknesses in the Begins series and vice versa (I just watched them all like back to back). It's very epic, artistic and iconic in every facet, like a comic book come to life, and still the quintessential stand alone Batman movie (I mean, it popularized and added elements to the Batman mythos the new films continue to borrow from and owe it a debt for).

700.jpg

Still nothing to sneeze at as far as Batman on film goes.​

Anyway, enough about the past, let's get back to tonight, I really enjoyed this movie, it's a very good film in many ways besides being a Batman movie, especially Ledger's performance. He was creepy, and his actions and plots were very realistically menacing, and there was a lot of gravity to it all, so to speak. This movie could be very genuinely effecting at times, one aspect where it can certainly be said it's superior to the earlier films.
Though I'm a little disappointed they killed off Two Face like that, I thought he was being set up as an awesome and most personal adversary for Batman in the next movie. Like I thought it had potential to top Batman/Joker dynamic in this one. Instead he didn't come to much relative to potential and the time spent establishing him, so sorry Two Face fans.
It wasn't without its flaws, but all in all, good stuff, and I'll be seeing it again next week. Oh yeah, and...

batman.jpg

"I'M BATMAN!"​

Top Bottom