Hancock's Dad Sues hospital for allowing his son to be born.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
This is appaling.

http://sports.aol.com/mlb/story/_a/hancocks-dad-sues-restaurant-over-sons/20070524153709990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

ST. LOUIS (May 24) - The father of Josh Hancock filed suit Thursday, claiming a restaurant provided drinks to the St. Louis Cardinals relief pitcher even though he was intoxicated prior to the crash that killed him.

Cards Pitcher Died at 29

The suit, filed in St. Louis Circuit Court by Dean Hancock of Tupelo, Miss., does not specify damages. Mike Shannon's Restaurant, owned by the longtime Cardinals broadcaster who starred on three World Series teams in the 1960s, is a defendant in the case along with Shannon's daughter, Patricia Shannon Van Matre, the restaurant manager.

Other defendants include Eddie's Towing, the company whose flatbed tow truck was struck by Hancock's sport utility vehicle in the early hours of April 29; tow truck driver Jacob Edward Hargrove; and Justin Tolar, the driver whose stalled car on Interstate 64 was being assisted by Hargrove.

The Cardinals and Major League Baseball were not listed as defendants.

Authorities said the 29-year pitcher had a blood content of nearly twice the legal limit for alcohol in his system when he crashed into the back of the tow truck. He was also speeding, using a cell phone and wasn't wearing a seat belt, Police Chief Joe Mokwa said after the accident. Marijuana also was found in the SUV.

Mokwa said Hancock went to Shannon's not long after the Cardinals played a day game against the Chicago Cubs on April 28. The lawsuit claimed that Hancock was a regular at the restaurant bar and was there for more than 3 1/2 hours.

"It's understood that for the entire 3 1/2 hours that Josh Hancock was there that he was handed drinks," Keith Kantack, a lawyer for Dean Hancock, said. "It's our understanding that from the moment Josh Hancock entered Mike Shannon's that night that he was never without a drink."

A person answering phones at the restaurant declined comment. A message left with Van Matre was not returned.

The lawsuit claimed Tolar was negligent in allowing the vehicle to reach the point where it stalled on the highway, and for failing to move it out of the way of oncoming traffic.

Hargrove parked the tow truck behind the stalled car, and police said he arrived there moments before the truck was struck by Hancock's SUV. Kantack said the tow truck may have been there up to 15 minutes, yet failed to get the stalled vehicle out of the way.

"Were the police contacted?" Kantack asked. "Why weren't flares put out? Why was the tow truck there for an exorbitant amount of time?"

Tolar did not have a listed telephone number. Calls to the towing company were met with a busy signal.

Kantack said others could be added later as defendants in the suit. He declined to speculate on whether the Cardinals or Major League Baseball could be added to the suit, but said the Hancock family has been "overwhelmed by the support and respect the Cardinals have shown since Josh's passing."

Dean Hancock said in a statement that the "facts and circumstances" of Josh's death "have caused great pain to all of Josh's family." As administrator of his son's estate, Dean Hancock said he has an obligation to represent the family on all issues, "including any legal actions necessary against those who contributed to the untimely and unnecessary death."

Ok so his jackass son gets blitzed and crashes into someone so it's their fault? Even asking about why they didn't put up road flares doesn't make any sense to me. I don't drive around carying road flares and all the times I've been in cars [or humvees] that have stalled they wouldn't go any other direction aside from down hill.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Ok so his jackass son gets blitzed and crashes into someone so it's their fault?

Welcome to America? I don't know, doesn't stuff like this happen all the time there?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
Welcome to America? I don't know, doesn't stuff like this happen all the time there?

Depends, if you are talking about some old lady suing mcdonalds for coffee burns, it was her right to sue mcdonalds over it because they were selling their coffee to hot to [i think] FDA standereds. There is a lot of stupid law suits, but this is retarded.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:

Yea there are plenty of lawsuits here, but not all are frivolous. I'd say this one is. however, quite silly.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Depends, if you are talking about some old lady suing mcdonalds for coffee burns, it was her right to sue mcdonalds over it because they were selling their coffee to hot to [i think] FDA standereds.

Yeah, I know. Still, I've never seen more stupid lawsuits than in the USA. And some of them worked too...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Our legal system allows for all to have a fair and unbiased trial! :miura: ........ :ganishka:

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Depending on the state or local laws for serving intoxicated people he may or may not have a case against the restaurant. The only way there is a case against the driver is if his vehicle failed inspection, or had not passed an up to date inspection. Its unlikely there is any possible case against the towtruck company since essentially they were attempting to remove a road hazard. You are supposed to report a breakdown on the highway to the police but I'm not sure it is a law.

This part is good "Why was the tow truck there for an exorbitant amount of time?"

Wow, where is this guy from that they clear stuff out of the way in less than 5-15 minutes? What a way to thank someone who stopped voluntarily to try and remove the hazard that led to his son's death, well, if you discount the drugs and booze. If the drunken fool had left a few minutes later or not sped that towtruck driver may have very well saved his life.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Serpico said:
You are supposed to report a breakdown on the highway to the police but I'm not sure it is a law.

I'm assuming the police knew since they placed the crash a little bit after the tow truck gut there.

This part is good "Why was the tow truck there for an exorbitant amount of time?"

Wow, where is this guy from that they clear stuff out of the way in less than 5-15 minutes?

Ugh I remember having a tow truck pick me up off the side of the road it took well over 30 minutes.

Top Bottom