Garth Ennis Talks Preacher HBO Series

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Straight form some web site I found:

Garth Ennis & Darick Robertson were at Midtown Comics last weekend promoting their controversial creator-owned book, The Boys (which recently found a home at Dynamite Entertainment after leaving DC/Wildstorm). PCS TV got the the latest word on the series from Ennis and talked to him about working with Mark Steven Johnson. (Daredevil & Ghost Rider aside, Ennis called Johnson “just the right guy” for the job).

Naturally, we also talked in-depth with Ennis & Robertson about The Boys: PCS TV: Garth Ennis & Darick Robertson Boys Inteview

links for teh video http://www.popcultureshock.com/index.php?p=41944

Walter are you Jeff K?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
bph said:
I just hope it really happens... The movie that never was made really got my hopes up.

I no way should a comic book series ever be a movie. Never. I much prefer TV mini series my self, but no all comics need to be done on the moving picture show.

Walter said:
Leave it alone! It was an awesome series, but LEAVE IT THE FUCK ALONE.

But Hollywood producer's can just smell the green following in on such a block buster!

I don't know, I really like the idea of one hour episode per issue; and the screen writer claims to be doing as faithful a job as possible. Ennis seems to be excited about it, so I'm going to be guardedly optimistic.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
bph said:
I don't know, I really like the idea of one hour episode per issue; and the screen writer claims to be doing as faithful a job as possible. Ennis seems to be excited about it, so I'm going to be guardedly optimistic.

So far Garth seems to be trying to work with everyone [unlike Alan moore who just sits their drinking brandy being emo all over the place about WB fucking up V for Vendetta] to assure the show is on par with his comic book series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
[unlike Alan moore who just sits their drinking brandy being emo all over the place about WB fucking up V for Vendetta]

Alan Moore hasn't really done any wrong as far as adaptations are concerned. It's mostly others that have been fucking with him over the years and with each new work of his they adapted. Not to mention all the problems he's had with Marvel and DC. I can understand his reactions and current point of view. If I ever were to write something I'd make sure nobody got the rights to it but me.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
Alan Moore hasn't really done any wrong as far as adaptations are concerned. It's mostly others that have been fucking with him over the years and with each new work of his they adapted. Not to mention all the problems he's had with Marvel and DC. I can understand his reactions and current point of view. If I ever were to write something I'd make sure nobody got the rights to it but me.

I'm talking about his unwillingness to work with the people trying to make adaptation of his books. Zack Snyder [what ever his name is] is trying to work with Alan Moore on Watchmen, but Moore won't even try.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I'm talking about his unwillingness to work with the people trying to make adaptation of his books. Zack Snyder [what ever his name is] is trying to work with Alan Moore on Watchmen, but Moore won't even try.

And is that supposed to be a bad thing? Moore said he doesn't approve of his stories being adapted into movies anymore after that ridiculous LXG lawsuit and never wanted to be associated with such projects in the first place. That's a feeling I wholly understand, and frankly I hope that Watchmen project fails. There's no need for a movie adaptation, and I don't see how you can blame him for his attitude.

Can't all these Hollywood hacks make their own stories for a change?

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Moore says Watchmen is un-cinematic: "You get people saying, 'Oh, yes, Watchmen is very cinematic, when actually it's not. It's almost the exact opposite of cinematic." ; "I had to tell him that, frankly, I didn't think it was filmable. I didn't design it to show off the similarities between cinema and comics, which are there, but in my opinion are fairly unremarkable. It was designed to show off the things that comics could do that cinema and literature couldn't"

And of course Moore "wont even try", he is an anarchist, a practising magician, and worships a Roman snake-deity named Glycon :D

An interview with Mark Steven Johnson on Preacher and Ghost Rider 2:
http://ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=2148
He and Garth Ennis seem to be writing new stuff for the series:
iF: So will be seeing the same stories from the comic book in the series?

MSJ: Well there would be nothing new to add if we did that so (PREACHER creator) Garth (Ennis) and I have been creating new stories for the series. I love the book so much and I was telling Garth that he has to make the stories we are coming up with as comics because I want to see them.
Not really sure where this could go, since the author is involved. I hope they stay true to the story but in this day and age it's equally possible that they will go for "a broader audience" or some thing like that.
As far as Watchmen go, just no. Please make them stop.

GAH, no new stories! It will completely ruin the 90's vibe of the series, unless they somehow recapture it, which is unlikely. NO NEW STUFF. JUST FILM THE COMIC ALREADY. HBO is probably going to cancel the damn thing before it ever hits 70 episodes anyway, and if they get that many it would have to have over 5 seasons, which only The Sopranos and Sex and the City have reached on that channel... I really can't see the need for new material.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Aazealh said:
And is that supposed to be a bad thing? Moore said he doesn't approve of his stories being adapted into movies anymore after that ridiculous LXG lawsuit and never wanted to be associated with such projects in the first place. That's a feeling I wholly understand, and frankly I hope that Watchmen project fails. There's no need for a movie adaptation, and I don't see how you can blame him for his attitude.

Can't all these Hollywood hacks make their own stories for a change?

Hey, Hey.

I DON'T hope watchman fails because I would love to see the movie though I dont see how they could make it a movie, because the GN is way to long for a single movie worth watching. It would take a HBO miniseries or a trilogy of movies for it to work.

Top Bottom