Vampire Hunter D becomes a manga

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Novels are the original form.

This whole "English first" thing worries me. Its not guaranteed to end badly, and I have no real complaints about Bloodlust, it just makes me wary. And the flash intro at the site seems to miss the point.

and they're doing whole books as just one volume? That'll have to be more trimmed down then the movie I'd bet.

I'll probably at least skim one sometime.

"It was just such a smile."

The first manga volume is 240 pages. The first novel is 238 pages. I really don't think there'll be much trimming going on with these. Now going from manga/novel to anime then yeah, there'd be trimming. But for something like this, I really doubt it.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
[me=Majin Tenshi]grabs random manga to check page count[/me]
Random manga volume has about 200 pages. Converting your average manga volume to anime, I'd say a volume per full length movie. (someone might check more closely, but I think berserk manga:anime was in the vicinity of like 1:2)

I might be noting the alterations more, but the movies seemed notably trimmed down compared to their book counterparts to me... I'll retract my "more then the movies" and replace it with "about as much as the movies."

What, the smile bit doesn't get a comment :p

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I need to pick up some of the D novels. The original Vampire Hunter D was the first anime film I watched, and even though some consider it cheesy I still like it and watch it on occasion. Bloodlust was good but the story was so so (though I imagine the book version is much better). Hopefully they'll do another film one of these days.

The novels are awesome. Every one of them so far hasn't disappointed. Another anime is in the early stages of development. They want to either remake the first one to be truer to the novel, or they want to do one based of books 7 and 8. There's also plans for a live action movie as well. The author confirmed all of this in his little blurbs in the books.

dwarfkicker said:
The novels are awesome. Every one of them so far hasn't disappointed. Another anime is in the early stages of development. They want to either remake the first one to be truer to the novel, or they want to do one based of books 7 and 8. There's also plans for a live action movie as well. The author confirmed all of this in his little blurbs in the books.
I don't know how to say this, but a Vampire Hunter D movie just doesn't sound sweet, rather bitter. If its directed in its "hometown", also known as Japan, an all Japanese cast and (well, at least with my experience) typical lukewarm/soap operatic approach will make it shit. Then...there's America, which of course is known for its great adaptations of manga and video games...I mean...

I'd rather just see novella and anime from time to time...the manga itself worries me but some parts of the flash site have me curious that it might be worth a read.

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
I think I'll probably stick with the novels and the anime. Not that I won't give the manga a chance at least, but I don't have especially high hopes for it.

Well you can check out a 17 page preview of the first novels manga at the official site.

http://www.vampire-d.com/home.html

Click on D's pendant and enter this password "SM4BTABSF"

It's alright. I don't think I'll be getting them though.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Bloodlust was as cool as the franchise got.

Sadly, the preview wasn't mind blowing. I lost interest when she stripped to increase her battle power or whatever. Kind stupid, regardless of how pleasing it was on the eyes (even then it looks like her head was just stuck on). Can you tell we're Berserk spoiled?

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
The big gripe I have with it is the flowing, sketchy style of art which to me feels like a big mess. I'm sure the story will gain momentum from where the preview left off, but I have a hard time staying interested in that kind of artwork, regardless of any T&A.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
The novels are descent, but I have a hard time reading them due to how stilted the translation is...maybe the original is stilted also, but I think it's the translation.

The manga looks interesting. Given how ethereal the original Amano Yoshitaka art is (I have a bunch of his art books) I don't think the art style is going to be a problem for me.

As far as the web site goes...blegh. Then again, most promotional websites are like that.

Top Bottom