Blade Runner theatrical re-release

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Relatively old news now, but it's new to me. The movie is being treated to a FINAL CUT by Ridley Scott, who wasn't happy with his (shitty) Director's Cut. The final cut will be released in theatres this summer.

Just before the theatrical release, "ULTIMATE COLLECTION" DVDs will be released.

Here's the details on the DVD, which contains the long-sought-after theatrical release.

http://binarybonsai.com/archives/2007/05/17/details-on-blade-runner-the-ultimate-collection/

I've also read there was ADDITIONAL FOOTAGE SHOT, from some of the actors Ridley Scott managed to round up and re-costume, 25 years after the filming of the original. This stuff will be in the new theatrical release.

I'm in, and I'll tell you about my mother.

I'm definitely excited about this, if only because the Blade Runner "director's cut" was never really a director's cut (due to Scott not having access to all of the footage). I'd hate to see a forty something Daryl Hannah running around half naked in this new footage, though.

Great news, though I'm almost sure the theaters over here won't be playing it :judo:
I'll start dropping hints about the DVD for my birthday as of tomorrow!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
blade runner.jpg

It's unrelated, but I couldn't resist that cheesy pun. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Frank Castle said:
Walter, have they released a list of theaters that there having the re-release in and when its gonna take place?
Nah, as far as I've read, we just know it'll be sometime in September.

I'm excited as I was just a kid in the 80s, didn't get to see a lot of "Big R" movies and Blade Runner was one of my later catches. However, I'm still not too fond of the "He's really one himself!" plot twist. I dunno, maybe I'll prefer it more in the long run. Anyways, I hope I can find a theater that actually runs it (had terrible luck with Alien)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Manji said:
I'm excited as I was just a kid in the 80s, didn't get to see a lot of "Big R" movies and Blade Runner was one of my later catches. However, I'm still not too fond of the "He's really one himself!" plot twist. I dunno, maybe I'll prefer it more in the long run. Anyways, I hope I can find a theater that actually runs it (had terrible luck with Alien)
I don't think it was much of a plot twist, even in the book it was based on. The facts are there, if you look for them.

Oh I get the point entirely. I didn't read the books/play the PC game that came out in the 90s, but I was a big fan of the original "cut" when I got a chance to see it. Can't remember when, but I managed to see the director's version and the whole hints etc. I just had my preference of Deckard being more of a "lone human" type, its not the fact I dislike the finalization to finally say he was one.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Rutger Hauer totally steals the show on Blade Runner, his last soliloquy is one of the best moments in movie history. Gives me goose bumps everytime i see it.
I can only wish this would be shown in theaters in my country...

I'm really excited about this, but also worried about additional footage shot with the actors 25 years later. That makes it sound like they are going to do an epilogue of some kind, which could be good or bad. Scott has said in interviews that he considered Deckard to be a Replicant, and tried to convey that in the film while still leaving some things open-ended for the viewer to decide (IE with the Origami unicorn and Deckard's dream of the unicorn in the Director's Cut). I'd prefer for that to be as far as he goes with the Replicant thing since Deckard was not a Replicant in the book (and I don't like the idea of him being a Replicant either). I think it is better that some things in the film are just left ambiguous and for the viewer to decide. I really hope they don't try to tell us what to think with an epilogue.

Top Bottom