I am Legend - starring ... WILL SMITH - Aw HELL NAW!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's right people. Richard Matheson's classic is being remade... again.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/iamlegend/

"Welcome to ERF!" One of my favorite short stories, and the father of the modern zombie genre, is being turned into some kind of Will Smith wankoff. Last time it was a relatively classy affair with Charlton Heston. But this time... Zombie Vampires? In my neighborhood? Aw, HELL NAW!!

This trailer even tries to mask it for what it is, as if an awesome zombie story wouldn't sell... Well, it probably wouldn't to the masses. But fuck them. This already looks embarassing.

This trailer even tries to mask it for what it is, as if an awesome zombie story wouldn't sell... Well, it probably wouldn't to the masses. But fuck them. This already looks embarassing.
It almost feels like an post-apocalyptic GTA :troll:
Meh, another loose interpretation probably, like "Omega Man", Vincent Price's "Last man on Earth", and probably my favorite "Homega Man" ("It better not be those mutants!" hehe). Think I'll pass on this one.

I admit I'm curious to see this flick. The only thing that makes me doubt it's quality is of course, Will Smith. Let's face it, he's made some awful films (IMO, they include: ID4, both MIB's, Wild Wild West (ughhhh), I Am Robot, and I for one never saw or wanted to for that matter, either Bad Boys) However, I think with the right director, who actively avoids "Aw Hell Naw" instances, Will Smith can pass for decent. Now don't think I like Smith, becuz I really don't, but there are times, he's ok.
>>...OK...<<
I've never read the book, nor seen the original film. So, I have no grounds for comparison. :judo: But the trailer has got me curious, I wanna give this movie a chance. But sadly when I say that, I set myself up for disappointment.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well doesn't this look vastly uninteresting...

I don't mind Will Smith as an actor, personally. I think he's done some good stuff (most of the time when he's not in that "aw HELL naw!"-role.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm also not against Will Smith in himself as an actor, but it's true this doesn't seem to be a role cut for him (I'll admit I'm still not over the WWW movie). As a fan of the original short story I'm about as enthusiastic as Walter. I wonder what the version they had planned with Schwarzenegger as Neville would have been like.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I wonder what the version they had planned with Schwarzenegger as Neville would have been like.
Holy shit, opposite end of the spectrum for casting, but I'm giddy just thinking about that possibility :isidro:

"Zombie Vampires? In my neighborhood? ... *lights cigar* ... Let's pahtee." :guts:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
How disappointing...I saw the teaser and it really piqued my interest, but now that I know what it's about, and that it's a remake of a classic, I'm no longer looking forward to it. Aside from some of the films mentioned above that Will Smith has been involved in (except I, Robot, which I actually enjoyed, probably because I thought it was going to be much more awful than it turned out to be), some of the roles he's played have impressed me. However, this doesn't look to be a movie like Ali or The Pursuit of Happyness, so I'm guessing we will get more of the "aw hell naw" Will Smith this time around. Too bad.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
i too agree that smith isn't that bad an actor but he was waayyyy better in fresh prince! haha i still think I'm gonna go see the movie now that i know it's vampire-zombies?! but hey a flick is a flick! it might be entertaining.. Walter, who wrote the book/short story?! i'd be curious to read it.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I am Legend

Who else has seen this movie?

Some of my complaints about this movie were

crappy looking vampires,
the woman and her lame kid,
not enough Will/dog moments which actually made up some of my favorit parts,
and the meaning of I am Legend being changed to something retarded plus the shitty ending.

Really good acting on Will Smiths part, hopefully he doesn't shit in a hat again making I, Robot 2: Robot Harder or something equally dumber.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Won't spoil anything but I hear the ending is awful and an abomination over the original's.

But hey, it's got a limited edition BATMAN trailer! :troll:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I enjoyed the first 80% of the movie, which is just with Will and Sam (the dog). I thought it was much more compelling with him being on his own and once other survivors showed up I thought it kind of spoiled the whole "last man on Earth" thing. Plus, the ending felt extremely rushed and I didn't like the cheesy way things were wrapped up. I think if they'd left the character by himself the entire way through, it would've been a much better film.

P.S. - I wanted to go home and give my dog a big hug after I got out of the movie. :judo:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Rhombaad said:
I enjoyed the first 80% of the movie, which is just with Will and Sam (the dog). I thought it was much more compelling with him being on his own and once other survivors showed up I thought it kind of spoiled the whole "last man on Earth" thing. Plus, the ending felt extremely rushed and I didn't like the cheesy way things were wrapped up. I think if they'd left the character by himself the entire way through, it would've been a much better film.

P.S. - I wanted to go home and give my dog a big hug after I got out of the movie. :judo:

I don't have a dog to hug so when i got home i hugged all of my cats at the same time. I like to think that their scratches were them saying "it's cool bob we love you to!"

The thing that pissed me off the most i honestly think was the "LOL HE SAVED US HE IS GONNA BE A LEGEND ELLL OH ELL!". I really wanted him going out fighting like he was before the bitch and her son showed up.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
The thing that pissed me off the most i honestly think was the "LOL HE SAVED US HE IS GONNA BE A LEGEND ELLL OH ELL!". I really wanted him going out fighting like he was before the bitch and her son showed up.

Same. That would've been ideal. What was the original meaning of I Am Legend in the novel?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
What was the original meaning of I Am Legend in the novel?

Hahaha, you're not going to believe this. This is from memory as I've read it a LONG time ago, but it should be mostly accurate.

So in the original novel, a young woman shows up one day while he's getting a bit desperate (I think the dog dies infected in the book before that happens). The guy is suspicious and all but also can't believe it and is pretty happy to finally have company. He kinda falls in love with her and all that. However soon after they get assaulted and captured, and it turns out the woman is part of a race of new vampires and was sent to get information on him because they're afraid of him. They're smart like normal humans, they've evolved and aren't just retarded zombie-like creatures like those he's been fighting. They slay off every lower vampire they can find, including the hero's former friend and long time enemy, and they do it very cruelly/inhumanely which actually saddens him. Then they bring him to their city and imprison him. He's held there and judged for having killed some of them (as he can't differentiate them from common vampires when they're sleeping during the day), and because they've all moved on, he's an abomination to them. They just can't allow him to live, because he's a remnant of a past they can't go back to. That's why he's a legend: the last man alive that hasn't been mutated by the virus, and that comes to kill them in their sleep much like mythical vampires are supposed to do to us. So they execute him. The woman that lived with him for a while actually feels for him, but there's not much she can do other than to give him something so he won't feel the pain.

So yeah, this new Hollywood ending is a fucking affront to the original story. It completely denatures it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
So yeah, this new Hollywood ending is a fucking affront to the original story. It completely denatures it.

Oh man, that sucks. I'm kinda glad I hadn't read the novel before seeing this version of it on film. :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Trench said:
I thought it was actually pretty decent.

What angers people is the fact they changed the ending to the complete opposite of what it originally was, killing the greatness of the story in the process. It's not just about being good or bad as a movie.

I never read the book, so I wouldn't know. Wish they didn't CGI the zombies though. Would have been better if they were real people instead. Similar to the vampires from 30 days of night.

Ok. I never read the novel. I read Aaz's summary tho. Wow.

Why did the Dark Seekers NEED to be CGI. Their faces were too stretchy. I felt like I was watching an odd version of I, Robot. UGH.

Dog was cool. Cooler than Smith. Oh yea, and the the whole Shrek bit...SO NECESSARY. :schierke:

Top Bottom