Episode 286

If you're still trying to use false spellings, seriously, grow up man. Get over it. It's wrong and always has been, Takkken_brez.

Seriously, Panini comics Brasil is publishing Berserk here, and i was used to write his name like in the manga -> G a t t s.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
tokken_brz said:
Seriously, Panini comics Brasil is publishing Berserk here, and i was used to write his name like in the manga -> G a t t s.

Well it's pretty sad that they're grossly misspelling the main character's name when you know they started publishing Berserk relatively recently, but I guess it's not too surprising coming from Panini... I bet they just recycled their old Italian translation. :schierke:

In any case our forum will only accept the correct spelling, so you'll have to get used to it. :guts:

Aeglos

tokken_brz said:
Seriously, Panini comics Brazil is publishing Berserk here, and i was used to write his name like in the manga -> G a t t s.

Kinda like the volumes we have here in Chile from Mangaline (brought directly from Spain)... they spell Casca as "K y a s u ka" amongst the barrage of translation aberrations... uhrg... and they committed the blasphemy of "translating" Black Swordsman into Twilight Warrior (Guerrero de las tinieblas)...
I wonder why Miura doesn't do something about it. Spanish translation is completely filled with slang from Spain and mistranslations. They just ruin the whole experience...

Sorry about the rant... back on topic now :troll:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aeglos said:
Kinda like the volumes we have here in Chile from Mangaline (brought directly from Spain)... they spell Casca as "K y a s u ka" amongst the barrage of translation aberrations... uhrg... and they committed the blasphemy of "translating" Black Swordsman into Twilight Warrior (Guerrero de las tinieblas)...
I wonder why Miura doesn't do something about it. Spanish translation is completely filled with slang from Spain and mistranslations. They just ruin the whole experience...

Sounds almost as groovy as our translations.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aeglos said:
Kinda like the volumes we have here in Chile from Mangaline (brought directly from Spain)... they spell Casca as "K y a s u ka" amongst the barrage of translation aberrations...

Well, "Kyasuka" is basically a straight transliteration from Japanese (キャスカ), it's stupid but not worse than what German readers get for example...

Aeglos said:
and they committed the blasphemy of "translating" Black Swordsman into Twilight Warrior (Guerrero de las tinieblas)...

Hahaha, in French it's "Black Warrior", not much better.

Aeglos said:

It's not like Miura's got too much time on his hands, in spite of what some people may think of his breaks. Checking every localized release would take a tremendous amount of time. Besides, I doubt he speaks Spanish (or Portuguese, Italian, etc.) so there's not much he can do. And it's just not his job in the first place.

LordofMasks

Masks???...yeah, Masks...!!!
Aazealh said:
Well, "Kyasuka" is basically a straight transliteration from Japanese (キャスカ), it's stupid but not worse than what German readers get for example...

Hahaha, in French it's "Black Warrior", not much better.

It's not like Miura's got too much time on his hands, in spite of what some people may think of his breaks. Checking every localized release would take a tremendous amount of time. Besides, I doubt he speaks Spanish (or Portuguese, Italian, etc.) so there's not much he can do. And it's just not his job in the first place.

Cool preview...looks nice in color. Nice title too.

I think all translations are much or less the same...not that good.
But I dont get why you said the germans got it worse on Casca... they spell it here Kjaskar...in german J and Y are almost the same pronouncing...and the U is not allways pronounced in japanese, the R is what I dont get at all but well...
At least they got Black Swordman right = Schwarzer Schwertkämpfer.

Still I have seen the german, french, spanish, english and italian editions...and they all have flaws, but at least we get them and can read Berserk...the original would be the best but hell I'll had to learn more japanese...not possible right now.

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
"Twlight Warrior", maybe if Berserk were Josei.

As for the episode, I'm still wondering how Magnifico is going to factor into all this, he's basically just a pile of breathing Pathetic and nothing more without his rich boy connections (unlike our cool rich-boy Roderick), I mean really, Miura must have something in mind for him...even if its just comedic pratfalling..

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Funkmasta Zeph said:
I mean really, Miura must have something in mind for him...even if its just comedic pratfalling..
Clearly he does. Magnifico is ambitious to a fault, and that's always a good setup for drama in the future.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
lordoftheringsisawesome said:
But I dont get why you said the germans got it worse on Casca... they spell it here Kjaskar...in german J and Y are almost the same pronouncing...and the U is not allways pronounced in japanese, the R is what I dont get at all but well...

I said it wasn't worse than the German version, that's different, and it certainly isn't. And least I can see how they got to "Kyasuka", even though it's stupid. On the other hand, spelling-wise "Kjaskar" just seems baseless. Besides it's plain bad, no matter how much rationalizing you do.

Judo

Midlands finest
LordofMasks said:
At least they got Black Swordman right = Schwarzer Schwertkämpfer.

it's "Schwarzer Ritter" in the german panini-edition... that would be "Black Knight" in english.
but it's fine by me... "Schwarzer Schwertkämpfer" sounds really lame.

anyway, thanx for the preview, aaz.

scroto

Mmm....You don't say?
All this talk about bad international translations got me a wondering...

Anybody know how to say "Black Swordsman" in Latin??

Nice and colorful, Thanks Aaz. The armor is truly done beautifully and the focal point of the image.

The only thing that struck me odd was the scaling. Guts just seems 'ginormous' as compared to Serpico and the rest. Back when Farneze and co. capture Guts (Vol. 16), some panels show her reaching till about his shoulder height and same when Serpico and Guts duel but here they only measure upto his elbows hehe... I guess he is shown to be in the foreground and he is wearing his armor still I thought it seemed a little off.

(sigh... I hate to think about how this comment will unsettle some of you.... )

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Man, is this really the only thing to be talking about with an upcoming episode? Hue and scaling in a preview pic? Geez...

MaN said:
The only thing that struck me odd was the scaling.
Well, it stuck out to me at first, but then I saw the ground they're walking on was curved, with Serpico to the right of Guts, lower than he is. Forshortening makes sense of the scale. Anyway, I'll trust Miura's training and instincts on artistic issues like this over my own and yours.

Your tone in this line unsettles me more. SIGH.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
MaN said:
Nice and colorful, Thanks Aaz. The armor is truly done beautifully and the focal point of the image.

The only thing that struck me odd was the scaling. Guts just seems 'ginormous' as compared to Serpico and the rest. Back when Farnese and co. capture Guts (Vol. 16), some panels show her reaching till about his shoulder height and same when Serpico and Guts duel but here they only measure upto his elbows hehe... I guess he is shown to be in the foreground and he is wearing his armor still I thought it seemed a little off.

He's walking ahead of both Serpico and Farnese, and, like you said, is more in the foreground than them, as well. The scale seems fine to me. Also, why would an observation like that unsettle any of us here?

EDIT: Wally beat me. :judo:

My guess is this episode will focus mainly on Azan being reintroduced to the group, and may end with Guts beginning to explain his past.

Man, is this really the only thing to be talking about with an upcoming episode? Hue and scaling in a preview pic? Geez...

Honestly, it's just been so long that the anticipation outweighs the desire to speculate. I'm still intrigued by the possibility for some real character development on the boat; I really hope we spend several episodes dealing with Guts and the rest of the band hashing out some of their differences. Considering the rapid change in relationship between Farnese, Serpico, Magnifico and Roderick, having all four of them couped up on the same boat could be quite interesting. I really just want to see some more time spent on the secondary characters, even though I admit the discussion of Guts' past that everyone is clamoring for will be interesting.

bph said:
....Magnifico and Roderick, having all four of them couped up on the same boat could be quite interesting....

I hope it changes but at least the above two have not been a little more than comic relief until now.

MaN said:

all i meant was that 'some' people take criticism personally when its not intended to be so...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MaN said:
all i meant was that 'some' people take criticism personally when its not intended to be so...
Well, 'some' people think it's arrogant of someone on the internet to criticize the art of someone who's been professionally drawing daily for more than 20 years.

I too am anxious for a debriefing from Guts. A chick made a thread about the subject a few months ago. I tend to agree with her. I don't think Guts is obligated to give an explanation to them, but it only seems natural at this point. After his past has caught up to him on several occasions (Owen, Griffith, Schierke seeing his "soul" and the verbal exchanges with Apostles), his companions would be stupid NOT to be asking questions at this point.

On that note, this is a bit of VERY idle speculation, but I wonder if the ocean would be a particularly pertinent site for a visit from Skully? If Miura gives us a revelation about Guts' past, character development, AND Skull Knight, I will never complain about anything again. Ever.

Of course, the last time we left Guts and Co., it was with a glance between him and Griffith. Depending on who brings it up first (Puck saying, "hey wasn't that the guy from the Eclipse?", for instance), Guts may not be particularly happy about answering questions.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
i really doubt skullknight will show up on the ship (unless he already sneak in secretly (which i doubt even more)) but it could be interesting to start the episode with some kind of storm (showing that they've already been sailing for a while) (for maybe 3-4 pages) and then when everything settles guts could come up with some past talk or vice-versa everybody tries or start talking about it and then at the end just before guts start to tell his story a storm start.. or something! oh well I'll keep dreaming about it until i see a storm! :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
i really doubt skullknight will show up on the ship (unless he already sneak in secretly (which i doubt even more))
Pretty damned sure Skull Knight is not land locked. His horse can float/fly (check out his appearance in vol 9). Barring that (since I can't recall him using the ability to that extent since then), he could even hypothetically travel through layers of the world to get from place to place. Getting into speculative territory, but I don't even think he stays grounded to one layer at any time. Judging from his timely appearances, I think he flits about from place to place with relative ease and disregard for distances.

That's not to say I expect him to show up hovering above the ocean. But, the body of water won't stop him from making an appearance if he chooses to once they arrive on the island. ("How'd you beat us?!" "Mr. Waffles is an excellent swimmer.")

I do think he'll have something to say before they meet Hanafubuku King.

But it could be interesting to start the episode with some kind of storm (showing that they've already been sailing for a while) (for maybe 3-4 pages) and then when everything settles guts could come up with some past talk or vice-versa everybody tries or start talking about it and then at the end just before guts start to tell his story a storm start.. or something!
Sounds good to me :guts:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
Pretty damned sure Skull Knight is not land locked. His horse can float/fly (check out his appearance in vol 9). Barring that (since I can't recall him using the ability to that extent since then), he could even hypothetically travel through layers of the world to get from place to place. Getting into speculative territory, but I don't even think he stays grounded to one layer at any time. Judging from his timely appearances, I think he flits about from place to place with relative ease and disregard for distances.

That's not to say I expect him to show up hovering above the ocean. But, the body of water won't stop him from making an appearance if he chooses to once they arrive on the island. ("How'd you beat us?!" "My horse is an excellent swimmer.")

I do think he'll have something to say before they meet Hanafubuku King.

Damn i totally forgot about his horse! You're right he could fly! but could he survive a storm?! haha sorry i'm stuck with my storm idea! :chomp:

I don't think things are gonna go super smooth on Elfhelm. I don't see the Hanafubuku king welcoming mortals with open arms nor be willing to immediately go to work on Casca. The plus is Guts and Co. have Puck and Ivarella with them. I really think we will see Puck shine in the near future, I'm tellin' you. :puck:

I would kinda find it a little disturbing though if Skull Knight was waiting for them before they even got there. I mean I know Guts swore to take care and watch over Casca and wouldn't ask Skully to take her there for him. But if Skull Knight could carry Guts and Casca out of the Eclipse, I'm pretty sure he could whisk them to Elfhelm. If he shows up in Elfhelm sometime after, fine. Maybe he was doing more important things while they were on their sea voyage. It would be like he could've saved them an ass load of trouble but just didn't bother. I don't think Skully's a tool like that. I love the character, but frankly, I don't think there's a pressing need for him TO show up at this time. He shows up when he has to. Warning Guts of the Eclipse, the Eclipse itself, giving Guts the low down post Eclipse, telling Guts how Casca can regain her heart, hell you all know when he's shown up. We'll see Skully we he needs to be seen.

Again, I've had my fill of action for a little while, but I really wanna see monumental discussions take place at sea between Guts and Co. In my mind and I'm sure there are others who will agree, there is no more fitting time than now for Guts to de-classify his past.

Top Bottom