Episode 286

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Frank Castle said:
finally got to see Guts.

Guts is doing a whole lot better with out his armour then the last time i remember him with out it on. it's good to see Azan once again.

Grail said:
I was also wondering about why Azan was still wearing his mask... I personally think that mutilation from torture would be a bit too morbid for his character, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if anything is mentioned in a translation. c:

I'm personally wishing it just turns out it's cheaper then buying a sun hat. Azan is the shit what can i say?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
I doubt Azan is trying to hide a disfigured face.. mostly likely just trying to hide his (obvious) identify from his fellow crewmates.
Kinda doubt that since Serpico calls him Azan on page 7. Did you really think his former knights wouldn't recognize him? It even looks very similar to the helmet he wore back then... Anyway, I think Azan's dialogue in this ep, once translated, will tell us a lot of his state-of-mind. Specifically the exchange between he and Serpico on page 7. It looks like he's thinking "How does he know me?!" :serpico:

As for Casca herself, she probably saw something trivial, like a seagull.... an apostle seagull of DEATH!!
The fact she reacts that way on the final panel of the episode is pretty foreboding to me. Especially since she and Guts are clearly looking at "something" out there the reader can't see. It'd be pretty anticlimactic for 287 to come out and it to be a 2 page spread of a random seagull.

Thank you thank you thank you Saiyajin for the 286 scans. :serpico:

This is the kind of stuff I expected/hoped for. Not jumping into Guts' past yet (like I thought it would head), but everyone just chilling & doing some leisure activities. Isidro going at it with the "black moustached knight" Azan (who seems to be hiding himself from people if what I get from his comment with Serpico is right), Farnese learning to use her "light body" for the fist time with Schierke & Guts is moving around with a shitloud more noticeable scars on him. No armor is good too. And Roderick's crew seem an all right group of people. I haven't seen Magnifico around yet, so maybe next volume we'll see more of Farnese's weasel brother.

The 2-page splash of Roderick's boat & Farnese commenting on the freedom of her astral body are testament to Miura's artistic/detailed eyes. :miura: Worth the wait in my opinion.

It would really suck if Azan's face is all fucked up due to some torture crap, though its not like bad things haven't happened to good characters before.. :judo: I'll make us an Azan emoticon too if you guys want.

I have to be honest, I'm more interested in knowing just what Guts and Casca are staring at...Still though, Isidro seems to be progressing in his abilities, at least somewhat. After all, Azan was sort of (okay not really, but humor me) able to match up with Guts and survive, so being able to roll with Azan for awhile is impressive.

Thanx for the reviews, scanbot. A bit off-topic, but I'm off to San Fran's Japantown to pick up volume 31 tomorrow, so more Berserk before that's always a treat. :guts:

As for Azan, I'm more interested in his interaction with his former colleagues. Farnese doesn't seem available at the moment (with her out of her body), but Serpico still seems amiable to him. We only got this fun reintroduction on him after being his falling out with the Holy See.

This episode also focused on Farnese & Schierke quite a bit: aside from Farnese's magical progress, she & Schierke shared their personal experiences with dealings outside their elements. Namely Farnese amazed by her progress from an apple's image in her mind to actually having an out of body experience in addition to how far Guts & co. went to get her back. Schierke's opinion of the outside world filled with just barbarians has changed with her feeling at ease with Guts & co. also. Ah, female bonding. :casca:

Next episode, aside from what Casca's staring at, I expect Schierke & Farnese to start thinking hard(er) about who Guts & Casca. They've had the pieces for a while, but with them watching those two without their knowledge I hope Miura gives them the opportunity to put 2 & 2 together. The only question is who's going to ask Guts about his &/or Casca's prior life. Not to mention what's up with Magnifico: I take it they're going to drop his ass off at Braj (sp?) so there might be one pit stop before the fabled Elfhelm. If not, more Azan fun is always welcome.

"That must have hurt!" :isidro:

Pesmerga

This is going to be one hell of a party
Aaaaaaaaaaaah, the episode is finally here, big thanks Saiya. :carcus:

Azan is great with only his helmet.
The doublepage with the boat is really beautiful, Miura you are a master.

It's good to see Farnese will progress in magic, she will be very useful for next battles. Of course if she learn a lot on the boat... :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Woland said:
And just the other day I was just thinking to myself that Guts took a lot of tissue damage to his face, and lo and behold, he's sporting a nice new patchwork of scars. But at least he's up and mobile sans armor.

I'll comment a little more later on, but I'm surprised that nobody remarked on what appears to be a giant hole that can be seen on Guts' abdomen under his shirt. The wound from the Makara? Seems too low compared to where the armor was pierced, but it doesn't look like a simple shadow either.

Pesmerga

This is going to be one hell of a party
Yeah that's true, but he's got too many scars now. XD
Poor Guts and apparently it's far from over.

LordofMasks

Masks???...yeah, Masks...!!!
Thanks Saiya. Great scans, great episode.

I think there might be something coming from the expression of both Guts and Casca...but the thing with the hole in Guts abdominal region, i think it is more like scar-thing rather than a hole...but hey he is used to scars after all.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Aazealh said:
I'll comment a little more later on, but I'm surprised that nobody remarked on what appears to be a giant hole that can be seen on Guts' abdomen under his shirt. The wound from the Makara? Seems too low compared to where the armor was pierced, but it doesn't look like a simple shadow either.

I cant see it, it looks to me like shadows to show off the muscle under his shirt, but I could be wrong. I just dont see any hole in his abdomen

Aeglos

Shouldn't such a wound be covered and heavily bandaged for it to show through clothes anyway?

Yet a dark patch of shadow means indeed a hole and not a bulge like muscle or bandages if my optics and lightning knowledge is up to date, so it most probably is the Makara bite since Miura seldom draws anything 'random', specially things like scars and small character details.

Thanks a lot Saiya! Top quality as ever!!! I'll be idle for a few moments now (the work can go to hell !! burn in hell stupid customers !!!)

Now I understand what you guys were saying about Azan's helmet, it show only his face's outline, looks like Griffith in that cage-helmet.. We can't see any details of his face. The new torturers of the Holy See may have done some mess there.
Maybe Azan is in latent anguish? Maybe Guts has some beherit laying around in the bags?? Does Azan have faith enough to reject an angel's offer? :zodd:

Then he takes off the helmet, and all this useless conspiration is gone. :casca:

Guts' chest hole sure looks strange, but I won't bet my cents that it's so deep to appear even under clothes. But it can be.
And all those scars, can the Elf King give Guts a new skin?

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Aazealh said:

It looks more like a wrinkle in the cloth of his shirt. I don't see anything that makes it look like a hole/wound. It just looks like that's how the shirt is wrinkles when he wears it, the thing isn't skin tight after all.

Whoa, Guts' face looks busted. A crutch, too... But he looks okay overall ;)

I think the bandage around the fake arm is just to hold it in place? I notice he doesn't have the usual metal clamps over his left upper arm.

Top Bottom