World War Hulk

Long story short, the Hulk is invading Earth with an army of aliens and he is pissed. Is anyone else reading this? I've found it to be one of the better Marvel story arcs of late, even if it is a rip off of various sci fi stories.

http://www.marvel.com/comics/World_War_Hulk

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter told me about it a while ago, and I can't say I'm impressed by the idea. To be honest it seems kind of stupid to me.

Eh, it's good by recent Marvel standards, let's just say that. The artwork is definitely better than the plot, but it beats the House of M storyline so far, at the very least. Stupid idea? Sure, but if your'e a Marvel fan who still buys the big crossovers, it's worth a read.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
Stupid idea? Sure, but if your'e a Marvel fan who still buys the big crossovers, it's worth a read.

Yeah, that seems to be the biggest appeal, and I can see why. I guess it's cool to have all these superheroes brawling together, but the Hulk trying to destroy Earth as an alien king...

Well, not to give away too many spoilers, but
Iron Man, Professor X, Namor, Black Bolt, and Mr. Fantastic formed a group called the Illuminati before the Civil War, which would police super heroes in a way that the government couldn't. One of the decisions they made, after Hulk destroyed Las Vegas, was that it would be best to send Hulk into space. The plan was to send him to an uninhabited planet where he could be at peace, but the Hulk went crazy and damaged the ship, causing it to land on the wrong planet. The Hulk has a variety of adventures, finds some measure of happiness, but the ship self destructs as a result of his throwing it around and it kills everyone and everything he has come to love on his new home. So now the Hulk is back for revenge.

About the artwork, Di Vito and Kirk are not everyone's cup of tea, but I like them and they have gotten a lot of favorable response from diehard Marvel fans, at least in the forums anyway. Oh, and for anyone who hasn't kept up, the Hulk has become considerably more intelligent of late. He is no longer the rampaging Hulk, or the merged Hulk, but Pak seems to be suggesting that the Hulk has finally buried Banner, who was actually the mask of the real personality inside, the current Hulk.

bph said:
Well, not to give away too many spoilers, but
Iron Man, Professor X, Namor, Black Bolt, and Mr. Fantastic formed a group called the Illuminati before the Civil War, which would police super heroes in a way that the government couldn't. One of the decisions they made, after Hulk destroyed Las Vegas, was that it would be best to send Hulk into space. The plan was to send him to an uninhabited planet where he could be at peace, but the Hulk went crazy and damaged the ship, causing it to land on the wrong planet. The Hulk has a variety of adventures, finds some measure of happiness, but the ship self destructs as a result of his throwing it around and it kills everyone and everything he has come to love on his new home. So now the Hulk is back for revenge.

About the artwork, Di Vito and Kirk are not everyone's cup of tea, but I like them and they have gotten a lot of favorable response from diehard Marvel fans, at least in the forums anyway. Oh, and for anyone who hasn't kept up, the Hulk has become considerably more intelligent of late. He is no longer the rampaging Hulk, or the merged Hulk, but Pak seems to be suggesting that the Hulk has finally buried Banner, who was actually the mask of the real personality inside, the current Hulk.

Wow! That's awesome! I'll have to catch up on this. Thanks for the info, bro!

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
bph said:
About the artwork, Di Vito and Kirk are not everyone's cup of tea,
you mean Romita jr hein? he's the one on the artwork for the six part worl war hulk, and gary frank for the part in the incredible hulk.

as of the hulk, the explosion also killed his pregnant wife.

I was pretty impressed by what he did to Blackbolt though!

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Its a good start but it better pick up soon because every WWH title in June has led up to really nothing, just Hulk landing in New York and beating the shit out of Black Bolt and Iron Man. July better have more development in the story or I'm gonna be pissed.

jackson_hurley

Frank Castle said:
Its a good start but it better pick up soon because every WWH title in June has led up to really nothing, just Hulk landing in New York and beating the shit out of Black Bolt and Iron Man. July better have more development in the story or I'm gonna be pissed.

just wait a bit I'm Greg Pak won't disappoint me. he didn't with planet hulk... it's still not as good as what Bruce Jones did to the series before him but still. at first with planet hulk i was kinda meh but after 2-3 issues it got better. have Faith haha

In regard to the art, I'm not sure where you got that from with Hein as he isn't doing the future ones anyway, but http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.1245 lists Kirk as doing pencils on the Incredible Hulk, and Di Vito does the World War Hulk: X-Men series. I should have mentioned that Romita Jr. does the main World War Hulk line, but I'm not as big a fan of his work as Di Vito and Kirk, which is why I mentioned them.

jackson_hurley

bph said:
In regard to the art, I'm not sure where you got that from with Hein as he isn't doing the future ones anyway, but http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.1245 lists Kirk as doing pencils on the Incredible Hulk, and Di Vito does the World War Hulk: X-Men series. I should have mentioned that Romita Jr. does the main World War Hulk line, but I'm not as big a fan of his work as Di Vito and Kirk, which is why I mentioned them.

isn't it Gary frank doing the artwork on the incredible hulk for the world war hulk?! thats what i have on my copy though...

Top Bottom