Episode 287

Aw man, it's so sad when his vision blurs. He can't even watch Casca without some weird crap happening. Warmth, taste, touch... now sight?

HAHAHAH MAGNIFICO (p17)

"Guts – Slipped right through. Even if I forcibly replace (or add on continuously to) things which I’ve lost, they won’t go back to normal…"

Interesting, if he perhaps (even unconciously) applies that to his new comrades, as well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Donald Shimoda said:
Hanafubuku might be able to restore Guts arm

The whole point of the episode was basically that no, he won't be able to restore it. Something we already knew thanks to common sense.

dwarfkicker said:
Well magic did temporarily give Guts a new right eye when he was one with the blaze wheel against that massive water serpent.

Wasn't truly a new eye though, the Blaze Wheel just appeared in there like it did for Schierke and it was just on the armor and not Guts himself, so I don't think it means all that much.

Chrono said:
What was the point of the bird? Were they near land?

Possible actually, after all they should be dropping Magnifico to Braj sooner or later.

coolerimmortal said:
I'm thinking some of those scars will be fixed up at Elfhelm. Somehow, I can't see Guts spending the rest of the story looking like that. Of course, I have nothing to base that on.

Keep in mind he might not be done cicatrizing yet as far as those scars go. I also don't think he'll keep them permanently.

changsho said:
Aw man, it's so sad when his vision blurs. He can't even watch Casca without some weird crap happening. Warmth, taste, touch... now sight?

All his senses, remember that SK had mentioned "light" as well on the beach.

Mista_B said:
"Guts – Slipped right through. Even if I forcibly replace (or add on continuously to) things which I’ve lost, they won’t go back to normal…"

Interesting, if he perhaps (even unconciously) applies that to his new comrades, as well.

That implies his relationship with Casca.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
That implies his relationship with Casca.
Even if it is meant for Casca it does seem to make sense when talked about the old Band of the Hawk members as well.

Oh that big lug. He needs a group hug. :judo:

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
It saddens me that after all his struggles, right when they are on the way Elfhem (or Elf hell as it liked to be called), he feels like giving up... Ah man he's gone through so much, it exhaustes me just thinking about it.

Hope they don't encounter any apostle, with Guts in his current condition, the rest of the crew wont be able to depend on him this time around.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Kaji-Ryohji said:
It saddens me that after all his struggles, right when they are on the way Elfhem (or Elf hell as it liked to be called), he feels like giving up... Ah man he's gone through so much, it exhaustes me just thinking about it.

Hope they don't encounter any apostle, with Guts in his current condition, the rest of the crew wont be able to depend on him this time around.
Oh I am sure he would rise to the challenge and what not. You have to at least expect the man to break at sometime. He has had to keep the brave face up for a long time, he is only human after all (mostly anyways).

Thanks for the scan Saiyan.

Guts is really in a bad shape at the moment, i wonder how long can he really go on without exterior help/healing.

RealHarlekin

Me hungry!
Again, big thanks to Saiya for a very timely scan to ring in the weekend!

A great episode making me feel pile sad for Guts... :judo:

I don't know, how the idea could come up, that Guts will be fully restored (The Hanafubuku-O-Man: They had the technology! They rebuilt him!), so I won't bother with any more comments on this idea.

Sad as this episode might be, it shows that the trip gives Guts the opportunity to be human again, thinking about his feelings and about what he is doing and perhaps going to do. He might want to rest for a longer period focussing on his beloved one, getting access to her again.

Otherwise if he keeps on doing like before and regarding the "hand-scene" he could start relying on the armor more (too much), as it seems to give him full control over the missing limb (sounds strange, but you know what I mean).

Anyhow, I hope someone of the group realises the severity of his condition and does not hesitate comforting Guts (I would like to), as everybody seems to regard him emotionally untouchable and being the tough guy that is always of control of every situation (well, he always was).

EDIT: I think I should hope more for Guts letting himself being comforted, as the group (except Isidro :carcus: ) does not lack sensitivity, but Guts lacks comfortability.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I found Farnese's reaction to hearing Guts speaking about Casca interesting. I know there's been talk about it in the past, but I always looked at it as Farnese admiring Guts more than actually having feelings for him.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm liking Roderick more and more with each episode. I hope he sticks with the group for a while (meaning after Elfhelm, as he's obviously going to accompany the group on the ship, and most likely stay with them while they're at Skellig).

SaiyajinNoOuji

Rhombaad said:
I found Farnese's reaction to hearing Guts speaking about Casca interesting. I know there's been talk about it in the past, but I always looked at it as Farnese admiring Guts more than actually having feelings for him.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm liking Roderick more and more with each episode. I hope he sticks with the group for a while (meaning after Elfhelm, as he's obviously going to accompany the group on the ship, and most likely stay with them while they're at Skellig).
I am sure he will stay with the group as long as Farnese is with them. He can't let future queen get damaged now can he? :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kaji-Ryohji said:

I don't think they will. Apostles were once humans, they're not made to live in the sea. Even apostles with sea-based transformations live on land from what we've seen. If they have to fight something I believe it'll more probably be a sea monster or an astral creature.

RealHarlekin said:
Sad as this episode might be, it shows that the trip gives Guts the opportunity to be human again, thinking about his feelings and about what he is doing and perhaps going to do. He might want to rest for a longer period focussing on his beloved one, getting access to her again.

Yeah, this phase of reflexion was to be expected and is most likely just beginning. I don't think Guts will just focus on Casca either, it'll also be an occasion for the group to become ever closer. Like you said, some comforting may occur. =)

RealHarlekin said:
Otherwise if he keeps on doing like before and regarding the "hand-scene" he could start relying on the armor more (too much), as it seems to give him full control over the missing limb (sounds strange, but you know what I mean).

I don't think Guts underestimates the danger the armor poses. So far he doesn't look like he's ready to forsake his life and humanity in such a vain attempt. He's smarter (and wiser?) than that.

Rhombaad said:

Well we've known about her crush on him for a while, a touch of love mixed in her already overwhelming admiration. However she's known since the beginning that he was unattainable for her, and has reminded it to herself regularly (like in episode 253). I think she's just unable to suppress her feelings for him, which is natural.

Rhombaad said:

Yeah, he's really become a sympathetic character over time, and his obvious and seemingly genuine romantic interest for Farnese makes me curious to know what will become of him. His inevitable confrontation with Serpico will most definitely be interesting to see. And obviously, he may also be the solution to Farnese' conflicting feelings about Guts.

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
I am sure he will stay with the group as long as Farnese is with them. He can't let future queen get damaged now can he? :carcus:

Farnese isn't very likely to ever become a queen... Roderick is only third in line to the succession of his country, and he's not in very good terms with them apparently.

Thank's as always Saiya.

So now he wasn't even able to save himself from drowning, he must be in one of his worst states.
If an Apostle were to come now and make things worse when Guts is not ready, my guess is Miura will create the Elf King to have less limitations on how much he can help Guts in his current state, and essentially is taking this opportunity to completely fuck Guts up before he is made substantially better. This cycle has always been the case anyway with Puck always healing him after near death battles.

Even so all these new scars, will they remain as heavy as ever after Elfhelm or will they subside as well? Our protagonist is no longer ruggedly handsome, before Vritannis he was probably still pulling that look off.

Perhaps on top of his recent increasing loss of senses, in the future it won't be a matter of becoming more normal and human again, but taking a different path to slowly becoming something entirely different

Rhombaad said:

Really? Personally I got the impression from most of these situations Farnese's feelings are more of a crush than platonic.

great episode, cheers for that

anyway, I really hope :guts: is able to reconcile with :???: at some point...I think it will be a difficult course in the story if she becomes aware and still rejects him, or even goes over to :griff: , which would be ridiculous...she cant possibly hold him in the same esteem now, can she? The thing that frustrates me a little is that :guts: is every bit (and more so) as impressive as :griff: , being only human and having an implaccably will and strength...he is facing the tide, where as :griff: has attached himself to a flow and is the bullwark. if she is going to idolize anyone it should be frigging :guts:

hehe my post count has gone back to 1?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
So now he wasn't even able to save himself from drowning, he must be in one of his worst states.

Well with his arm it would be pretty difficult anyway, even if he were in good shape...

Sparnage said:
If an Apostle were to come now and make things worse when Guts is not ready, my guess is Miura will create the Elf King to have less limitations on how much he can help Guts in his current state, and essentially is taking this opportunity to completely fuck Guts up before he is made substantially better.

I'm not sure Guts will get in a worse state than he already is, or if so it'd be practically on the shore of Elfhelm, dying and to be saved in extremis. Given the group's current state the average apostle doesn't represent a big menace, and anyway nothing's going to damage him more than Slan's wounds.

Sparnage said:
Even so all these new scars, will they remain as heavy as ever after Elfhelm or will they subside as well? Our protagonist is no longer ruggedly handsome, before Vritannis he was probably still pulling that look off.

Like I already said, I don't think they're meant to be permanent. His body isn't done healing and the burn scars will take some time to go, but with elf powder at his disposal I have no doubt it'll get better in time (and would without Elfhelm even coming into play).

Sparnage said:
Perhaps on top of his recent increasing loss of senses, in the future it won't be a matter of becoming more normal and human again, but taking a different path to slowly becoming something entirely different

Hmm I don't know about that. It's basically what they've all been trying to avoid so far, and I can't see Guts just becoming another Skull Knight.

prawnstyle said:
anyway, I really hope :guts: is able to reconcile with :???: at some point...I think it will be a difficult course in the story if she becomes aware and still rejects him, or even goes over to :griff: , which would be ridiculous...she cant possibly hold him in the same esteem now, can she?

I don't think she's going to go over to Griffith if that can reassure you. It just doesn't seem very plausible no matter how you look at it, and it'd require a rather improbable twist. It might be difficult for her to come to terms with all of what happened and to discover the present-day Guts (and his new friends, which are her friends as well despite the fact she doesn't know them), but I think there's hope at the end of the tunnel.

This is a really great episode, I hope that this is the first step for the reconciliation between Casca and Guts.

Thanks for the scan Saiya.

Wow. What an incredible episode! Probably my favourite for the last while. The mood, the pacing, the character development, the artwork - all beyond awesome. I must say, like most people here, I'm looking forward to more of these wonderful character focussed episodes as the boat journey continues (although I can't wait to see what Elfhelm is like and how it's going to effect the group, either :serpico:).

The last page of the episode didn't seem to have a date... :judo: Hopefully this doesn't mean another long break. Were there any comments by Miura in the YA issue indicating what's happening?

And oh yes... Thankyou Saiya!! :guts:

krumm47 said:
The last page of the episode didn't seem to have a date... :judo: Hopefully this doesn't mean another long break. Were there any comments by Miura in the YA issue indicating what's happening?

I can't imagine Miura taking a long break; I mean it was a 2-3 month gap before, and then we get 2 episodes and he takes another break? We got at least 6 episodesin sequence when he started covering the Hawks battling the Kushans and then it was only a month break before he went at it again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It just saddens me to see Guts and Casca like this. From the looks of things, she trusted him enough to reach out... but Guts dropped the ball, so to speak.
Look at it again, it doesn't appear she reaches out at all. Guts just advances up the mast quickly, grabs a rope for support, and leans over to grab her hand mid-fall. Her hand even looks surprised when he grabs it :guts:

Mista B]"Guts: Slipped right through. Even if I forcibly replace (or add on continuously to) things which I’ve lost said:
Even if it is meant for Casca it does seem to make sense when talked about the old Band of the Hawk members as well.
I dunno... The current group all volunteered to be his companions, it wasn't something he forced as a replacement. The analogy only works when in reference to something he forcibly replaced. The primary example being his struggle with Casca and how he tries to force their "relationship," but she can't understand his feelings. There's no intrinsic flaw in the current group's involvement with Guts, except if he gives into the armor again and turns on them, and that would be incidental.

krumm47 said:
Using my extremely limited japanese knowledge, I believe it says something to the effect of "continued next issue!"

A wonderful episode, and character development in the main cast. What a breath of fresh air. That last page just kills me. :judo: Thanks so much to all who were involved in making it happen.

My big question is... how the FUCK didn't Schierke and Farnese realize the nature of Casca and Guts' relationship after traveling together daily for all this time? How could this possibly come as a surprise?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
My big question is... how the FUCK didn't Schierke and Farnese realize the nature of Casca and Guts' relationship after traveling together daily for all this time? How could this possibly come as a surprise?

Simple. Farnese said it pretty plainly. She "didn't want to know". It wasn't really that they were "surprised" by the connection, they just can't come to terms with it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Simple. Farnese said it pretty plainly. She "didn't want to know". It wasn't really that they were "surprised" by the connection, they just can't come to terms with it.
Ahh, I didn't notice that little line in the translation, given the context of the scene, it definitely makes sense. Thanks.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
krumm47 said:
The last page of the episode didn't seem to have a date... :judo: Hopefully this doesn't mean another long break.

It just means it'll be in the next issue like Walter said. It isn't the first time it happens, I figured you'd know by now. When there's a break the date is provided; what happened last year was exceptional.

CnC said:

Well Farnese can't, but Schierke seems more resigned to the truth.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Well Farnese can't, but Schierke seems more resigned to the truth.

I don't thing Schierke has come to terms with it, either. They just have different ways of going about it.

Also worth mentioning is that none present, aside from Gutts himself, knew Casca before the Eclipse - all they've seen is her current, broken self.

Top Bottom