Silent Hill 5!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Whoa! Silent Hill 5 is on the way this time packed full of PTSD!

At its press conference today, Konami is revealing Silent Hill 5 for PS3 and Xbox 360, and we've got your first look! Check below for the very first screenshot of the game and teaser trailer. But for lots more info and screens, make sure to stay tuned for the October issue of EGM (which hits newsstands in early September) -- it'll be our exclusive cover story.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161061

Teaser Trailer is in with linky!

Ok there is more,

Konami announced Wednesday that the latest installment in their Silent Hill franchise would be coming to PS3s and 360s in 2008. Silent Hill 5 marks a return to the creepy, fog shrouded town with a new combat system, atmospheric visuals and original character exploring its haunted streets. Silent Hill 5 follows Alex Shepherd, a war veteran that returns home after a tour of duty overseas. While investigating the disappearance of his younger brother Joshua, he finds himself drawn through a small community known as Shepherd's Glen to the barren and eerie streets of Silent Hill.

Silent Hill 5 will allow players to use a new and enhanced combat system to perform offensive and defensive maneuvers against the creatures that inhabit the towns of Silent Hill and Shepherd's Glen. Players will have to solve environmental puzzles as well, taking cues from their surroundings to proceed through the game. Bolstered by Akira Yahmaoka's original soundtrack, Silent Hill 5 will feature a haunting score and sound effects.

According to Brian Christian, Vice President of Product Development at Konami, "Silent Hill 5 is an international, cross-cultural production, with leading development talent from around the globe collaborating to raise the bar even higher for this incredible series. With gritty graphics and sound that create a haunting atmosphere to all-new visceral gameplay elements, Silent Hill 5 truly epitomizes the extent to which next-generation hardware can enhance the player's overall gaming experience."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/803/803855p1.html

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Oh here it is! Wasn't much of a trailer but I am very excited to see what the new gameplay elements are.
What a good E3 so far, almost all of the games I was hoping for have been announced!
Thanks Bob.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I'm really stoked about this. The story concept seems promising for 2 reasons. 1 is that it seems as though it may focus on the main character that #2 did without too much extra effort spent trying to tie in excess plot from the last few games (this is obviously just a feeling I'm getting from what's really a miniscule teaser). Second is the fact that the main character is a military veteran. Jacob's Ladder anyone?

Just hope they don't go RE4 with the combat. It just wouldn't be as freaky when you're busting out with roundhouse kicks.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Nice, its good to finally hear a little bit of news on it, and the main character shares my name. Glad its on 360, since I'll be buying one in October to play GTA5.

I'm heavily mixed on it. My favorite is still Silent Hill 2, but I don't think that what Vaxillus claimed is true. By technicality, the only games that "truly" rely on one another is SH and SH3. Origins is supposed to flesh out the happenings of Silent Hill in general, thus making it a precursor to every game following.

~~~~~~~~As for SH5 itself, again, mixed. The "veteran" soldier thing rubs me in a very sour way. Even though its probably another nod to Jacob's Ladder again, its just one of those topics that has been milked so much lately (don't know what other conflict he can be returning from sans Nam/Gulf/Mogadishu ?) I doubt they'll really accomplish much if they go for another SH2 approach, which is what they've claimed to want to go "back" to.

My thoughts on his last minute revelation will be him murdering and raping an entire village of Vietnamese children who are in turned fathered by his brother which are really calling themselves the Aristocrats. Eat your heart out Godfried~!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Manji said:
My thoughts on his last minute revelation will be him murdering and raping an entire village of Vietnamese children who are in turned fathered by his brother which are really calling themselves the Aristocrats.

Give Silent Hill more credit then some F movie story line. I'm betting that he killed his brother in a fit of rage.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Give Silent Hill more credit then some F movie story line. I'm betting that he killed his brother in a fit of rage.
Was a joke (sic), sans Aristocrats. Damn it, I had to explain it!

But yeah, that's another one going around. Other ones are,
-He never really went to war, it was all in his head.
-He's still on the battlefield about to get a bullet in his head (see all quiet on the western front)
-He's gay with his brother and thus has some unrequited love issue
-He killed his parents after he got back from the war
-He killed _______ after he got back from the war

Serpico

Interesting speculations. I like to just let the plot unfold as I play it. I remember how confusing SH1 was the first time I beat it. I spent the next 2 days thinking it over. Good fun.

I'm not worried about the plot quality for 5. Loved 1, 2, and 3, and 4 may have been a little shaky but that is because it was developed at the same time as 3 so it didn't have the same people working on it or giving it the same attention. I liked it anyway; it was an interesting sidestory with some loose ties to newspaper clippings in SH2 which was cool since I played them back to back. I'm pretty confident that 5 is going to be quality stuff.

Serpico,

I'd like to see it as well, but I'm a bit concerned myself with the "It'll go back to being quality" speculation is they're already trying that with Origins.
Supposedly.

I mean if that does or doesn't "recapture" what SH2 did, will they still desperately want to go back there? But again, SH2 in that sense is special to me, I wouldn't like Konami to just keep trying to "recapture" what SH2 did in and of itself so much as a general "essence".

Hopefully they work on making "SH5" damn good in general and not just flood out into making an SH2 carbon copy. Anyways, I'm still on the 50/50 seat, like I've been with origins. All we can do is hope I guess.
OPTIMISM=SILENT HILL? ITS MORE LIKELY THAN YOU THINK!

Serpico

Manji said:
Hopefully they work on making "SH5" damn good in general and not just flood out into making an SH2 carbon copy. Anyways, I'm still on the 50/50 seat, like I've been with origins. All we can do is hope I guess.
OPTIMISM=SILENT HILL? ITS MORE LIKELY THAN YOU THINK!

Unless I hear really good things about Origins, or it comes out for PC, I'm not planning to play that one. I'd give SH5 a little better odds than 50/50. So far Konami has managed to deliver more often than not with the series. Lets just hope for the best.

If they go a similar route to SH2 I just hope they make the boss a heck of a lot harder. That was the only flaw in the game for me.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I'd argue that SH 4 was very tied in to the whole evil cult vibe of number 1 & 3, leaving number 2 the only one to stand on its own. I certainly don't want a copy of number 2, just one that focusses on a very personal journey where the cult and background of the city take to the backdrop. It's true, they could mess it up, but I think there is a good chance they learned a lot from the last two games. Whatever the case though, the main character better not be as shallow and generic as number 4, he barely seemed to care when most of the characters died.

Vaxillus said:
I'd argue that SH 4 was very tied in to the whole evil cult vibe of number 1 & 3, leaving number 2 the only one to stand on its own. I certainly don't want a copy of number 2, just one that focusses on a very personal journey where the cult and background of the city take to the backdrop. It's true, they could mess it up, but I think there is a good chance they learned a lot from the last two games. Whatever the case though, the main character better not be as shallow and generic as number 4, he barely seemed to care when most of the characters died.
2 really didn't stand on its own in "hindsight". The deal with 2 is that it takes place 14-16 years prior to the events in Silent Hill 3, in a sense, until Heather/Alessa "grows up". The point being was that after the events of SH1, the town is so influenced by the events of the first game that thoughts/nightmares etc are materialized for those individuals. It wasn't really dropping the "cult" subject, and was definitely making an emphasis on the town itself in my opinion. As for Silent Hill 1, it never said much about the actual place/town, just the events involving Alessa. Even the lyrics in Hometown attributes Harry's murder/death to more of the will or "intent" of the town than the cult itself, even though they carried it out. Again, that's just my personal reasoning.

Yeah, I was pretty shocked that they killed off Harry. It even took me a minute to figure out who the hell I was playing as. Being the surviving child from the first game.

I don't think SH gets enough credit on its story emphasise.

Death May Die said:
Yeah, I was pretty shocked that they killed off Harry. It even took me a minute to figure out who the hell I was playing as. Being the surviving child from the first game.

I don't think SH gets enough credit on its story emphasise.
Well, I think (in an un-related note), Silent Hill is one of the best games when it comes to "stories", given it doesn't really hide its influences and yet still manages to do something wholly entertaining and unique, namely with video games.

I think like a lot of my favorite fictional works, Silent Hill's fanbase does more harm than good, namely with the over bloating of the horror aspects. I think a lot of people would give it more credit and bother to play them if they focused more on the actual context within the game and not just the aesthetics.
James remains my favorite, but I still liked the fact Harry's "sacrifices" just for a non-flesh and blood daughter. Well, even if he did want to strangle her when she was an infant =/

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I got a chance to play the SH origins demo and seems pretty cool so far. It's like playing a higher rez version of Silent Hill 1. Pretty neat music, but I hate playing Silent Hill games using the 3D control scheme. Hopefully they'll put a 2D option when the game actually comes out. Good stuff so far!

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Whoa! Silent Hill 5 is on the way this time packed full of PTSD!

Just like when my family gets together! :troll:
I definitely like the idea of retooling the combat system. More fluid, Dynamic movements means you can use your own approach and strategies in a given situation.
Reminds me of Ninja Gaiden, now that was a Survival Horror Game!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
A few new short gameplay vids.

Looking good, I dig the world-changing effect, though the one in the first Silent Hill remains the most powerful to me, I was crazy when I first experienced it. It's also cool to see natural interactions, like how you jump through a broken window when you find a locked door, etc. Stuff you'd actually do in a case like this instead of solving weird puzzles to find a key.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Pretty impressive..

I'm not a fan of survival horror, but the atmosphere in the trailers is great. What console ran this gameplay, I wonder...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick revive to mention that SH Origins is being ported on PS2 with some enhancements (optimized graphics, new weapons, etc). It seems to be happening to all the big PSP titles these days.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
Just a quick revive to mention that SH Origins is being ported on PS2 with some enhancements (optimized graphics, new weapons, etc). It seems to be happening to all the big PSP titles these days.

Sony has to make money somehow. :troll:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Just heard there was new stuff on Silent Hill 5. The video quality isn't very good, but it'll do till the game comes out.

Here's the link: http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/silent-hill-homecoming/g-2007042011563484013

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's actually called 5ilent Hill: Homecoming now. Not joking, unfortunately. :puck: And yeah, it looks pretty gorgeous. Im just a little wary of the team making it.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
It's actually called 5ilent Hill: Homecoming now. Not joking, unfortunately. :puck: And yeah, it looks pretty gorgeous. Im just a little wary of the team making it.

The names not that bad, it could always be called Silent Hill: Room 2. What's up with the team?

Top Bottom