Spawn Godslayer - Berserk Similarities?

This guy from Images new Godslayer comic look familiar?:

Like someone we've all seen before?:

Godslayer is a new Spawn spin off from Image Comics which I picked up at the Wizard Comic Con last month. I liked Spawn a lot when I was younger but I haven't touched any American comics for the past 7-10 years. Godslaying sounded familiar and cool so I flipped through it and busted out bills for the merchant. A summary of the story line as told by one of the authors in an interview:

"NYXX : Now here we are and McFarlane Productions have announced a second monthly title, tell us more about Spawn: The Godslayer. The concept? The Story?

BRIAN: We've been describing Godslayer as a "re-imagining" of the Spawn story. That is, taking the core elements of Spawn and recasting it in a different world. Godslayer is set in a mythic fantasy world called Ur that is ruled by competing pantheons of Gods. It tells the story of Bairn, a warrior prince from the island kingdom of Endra-La, who is slain in battle. With his dying breath he makes a bargain with an ancient Chaos Lord, a being older than even the Gods. The Chaos Lord will resurrect Bairn and allow him to be reunited with his fiancée, Neva. In exchange, Bairn must haunt down and kill the Gods themselves.

In the original one-shot, which came out last fall, Bairn returned at last to his home after decades in the God-slaying profession. In that time, Neva had abandoned her station and given her life to the temple, becoming "Vessel to the Goddess." So their reunion resulted with Bairn slaying the only thing he loved. The new series picks up shortly after that.

The stories play out on several levels. The first is obviously Bairn and his hunting and battling with the Gods. Secondly, their Bairn's attempt to free himself from his curse and either be reunited with Neva or simply pass peacefully into death. Thirdly, there's the Gods themselves, who are a scheming, manipulative lot. Some rightly see the emergence of the Godslayer as an existential threat, but others see it as a golden opportunity. And then there are the people, the mortals caught in middle of warring Gods. What happens to a land when its God is murdered? What happens to the crops when a Rain Goddess is killed? We're going to be exploring all those question.

It's drawn a large canvas. There's an entire, fantastic world of Gods and creatures and cultures to explore. There's been a real lack of big, epic fantasy in comics lately and we're hoping to fill that gap."

The similarities in the story were obvious but as I reached the last couple of pages and watched the "hero" reminisce about previous battles that first image above just blew me away.

Thoughts?

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
I've read the first 2 issues and it hasn't struck me as perticularly similar to berserk. They are at least as different as they are alike. Of course the core story reminds me a good bit of spawn.

A, if not the IMHO, key plot point in Berserk is the revenge thing. Its not in godslayer, at all. The guy is doing something he has no choice in. He has nothing personal against the gods. He made a deal and is bound to fulfill it.

The Ganiska looking guy? The Godhand look like guys from Hellraiser, does Berserk have a similar story to that? (I actualy don't know, never watched 'em)

IMO, Gungrave is a hell of a lot more like berserk.

Nothing against it. I like the art style if nothing else. I say the same of the main run of Spawn despite it being all kinds of screwy with the plot. If nothing else its worth it for the nifty art.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Since we're on the subject again: I keep seeing this new series called Claymore being hailed as a Berserk Knock-off. However, this is a good thing from what I've seen. It seems to be drawing away the Pretentious, trendy Twats who kept saying saying that Berserk: "hasn't been going Anywhere in the past few Volumes."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Majin Tenshi said:
The Ganishka looking guy? The Godhand look like guys from Hellraiser, does Berserk have a similar story to that?

The resemblance is pretty superficial, really.

Forest Wraith said:
It seems to be drawing away the Pretentious, trendy Twats who kept saying saying that Berserk: "hasn't been going Anywhere in the past few Volumes."

From my personal experience, 95% of those people never actually bought the manga anyway, so it's not like it matters much what they think or do.

Majin_Tenshi

Forest Wraith said:
Since we're on the subject again: I keep seeing this new series called Claymore being hailed as a Berserk Knock-off. However, this is a good thing from what I've seen. It seems to be drawing away the Pretentious, trendy Twats who kept saying saying that Berserk: "hasn't been going Anywhere in the past few Volumes."

Ah, now Claymore has a bit more of a resemblance. Theres a revenge aspect to it, but there was never a betrayal. Still seems like grasping for things though to call it very berserk-like. Good manga/show.

I don't really see what the point is of going "this is kinda like this." All sorts of things have similarities, some trivial some substantial, some for a reason. Should we make a chart?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Majin Tenshi said:
Theres a revenge aspect to it, but there was never a betrayal.

You know, aside from the discussion concerning similarities with other series, I don't think Berserk should be reduced to just a betrayal and a revenge...

Majin_Tenshi

Aazealh said:
You know, aside from the discussion concerning similarities with other series, I don't think Berserk should be reduced to just a betrayal and a revenge...

Of course not. Its just something easy to quantify and point your finger at. Other aspects that spring to mind are complicated enough the comparison takes longer or are superficial (Oh! they both have big swords!!!!).

What'll we say is a lot like berserk next? Die Hard cause the guy gets the shit beat out of him and keeps going?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Majin Tenshi said:
Of course not. Its just something easy to quantify and point your finger at. Other aspects that spring to mind are complicated enough the comparison takes longer or are superficial (Oh! they both have big swords!!!!).

I'm not sure having a big sword and fighting against seemingly insurmountable odds makes for a more superficial comparison than just having a theme of revenge in a story.

Majin_Tenshi

Aazealh said:
I'm not sure having a big sword and fighting against seemingly insurmountable odds makes for a more superficial comparison than just having a theme of revenge in a story.

Big swords vs insurmountable odds are fairly common. If thats all they had in common why not compare stuff to any number of other anime with big swords.

Hi_There

Born to be MILD!
The description you gave reminded me more of God of War than Berserk...

However I suppose God of War does have some slight similarities to Berserk.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Hi_There said:
However I suppose God of War does have some slight similarities to Berserk.

Ugh... please don't bring in comparisons with that complete bastardization of greek mythology.

Hi_There

Born to be MILD!
eh... yah I'd still rather bring it up. :guts:

Back on topic...
The God of War theme is heading heavily towards the 'Godslaying' part after part 2. Be it a Greek Mytho basterdization or not, it does remind me of your description.

Ugh... please don't bring in comparisons with that complete bastardization of greek mythology.

Who cares if it's a bastardization. They set out to make their own fiction out of something. They never came out and said "hey, this is our interpretation of Greek Mythology." They decided to put their own spin on things to make something fun and entertaining. And seeing how part 2 sold over 800k in it's first month, I'd say they accomplished what they set out to do.

CnC

Ad Oculos
dwarfkicker said:
Who cares if it's a bastardization. They set out to make their own fiction out of something. They never came out and said "hey, this is our interpretation of Greek Mythology." They decided to put their own spin on things to make something fun and entertaining. And seeing how part 2 sold over 800k in it's first month, I'd say they accomplished what they set out to do.

if we were talking about how well GoW2 did, then I wouldn't mind. But bringing its story up for comparison to berserk makes much less sense (especially since the comparison he's making is the violence).

No God of War doesn't compare to Berserk. Sure it's got violence. But so does a lot of shit, and in that blind sense, anything with violence compares to Berserk.

While I do enjoy Claymore and Berserk very much, and there are similarities, I think they are different enough that Claymore is not just a knockoff.

My experience with both is that Berzerk has a much "bigger and comprehensive world" than Claymore and the latter's disconnected city-states and villages. But the latter's simplicity can have a charm of its own at times.

While Berserk benefits from having people of both genders be well-developed and dynamic in terms of characterization, Claymore, due at least partially to the nature of the storyline, often neglects males. Other than Raki and some of the demon antagonists, men get the short end of the stick in terms of balance. This may change as the series goes on, however.

On the other hand, in Claymore, its refreshing to see a series where the main characters and emphasis strongly favors females, without it being typecast as involving a sappy and syrupy soap opera or love story, but actually a grim and gritty dark fantasy. It actually reminds me of Basara, but rougher and more somber.

There are cosmetic similarities (both main caracters use big two handed sword and fight shapeshifting monsters for exemple) but i dont get the same felling from the 2 series.

Berserk feels more epic to me, you got your small group heroic act but you will also get mass battle whereas in Claymore for the moment the storie is focused on a small action.

In term of art Claymore is good but i find berserk art more detailled.

Top Bottom