How would you complete Guts' line in episode 287?

puella

Berserk forever
When Roderick asked Guts what Casca meant to him on page 6 of episode 287, he couldn't (didn't maybe) complete his line: "she's my..."

I really wonder what he wanted to say. So I myself tried to complete his line. I thought of:

"She's the one I should protect".
"She's my girl."
"She's my captain."
"She's my old friend."

My final choice goes to "She's the one I should protect". I personally don't think Guts would directly say "she's my lover". It's neither his way nor the Japanese way, I think.

I also think maybe Guts himself didn't know what to say.

What's your opinion on that? And try to complete his line yourself here.

I'll throw in a few possibilities:

"She's my other half"
"She's the one I protect"
"She's my only reason for fighting"

or, simply "She's mine".

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I like "she's the one I protect" or something along those lines. And I propose the improbable "she's the light that keeps me from darkness".

puella

Berserk forever
yota821 said:
"She's the one I protect"

Actually, I thought of the exact same thing at first and it was my favorite choice. But then I removed it and chose "she's my girl" instead because I deciced to stick to "she's my..." as a base. :void:
In the end I guess it's not necessary to restrict ourselves to it since it's not that easy to create a proper line or to avoid sounding unnatural in English, so I'm going for "she's the one I protect" as well.

CnC

Ad Oculos
ore no... taisetsu no hito? ---or however that's said... :???:

you could throw it back to the resolve from the cave in 17, with something like "she's the one I will never lose again".

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
"She's my woman."

I don't think he actually finished the sentence, I think his emotional intent with the words was caught ASTRALLY by his fanclub duo :carcus:

I honestly wouldn't expect Guts to say anything too sentimental on the matter. Perhaps something like "She' was my comrade in arms".

I also wonder if he finished the sentence.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I don't think this sounds very much like Guts, but I think he would at least admit that she's the last of his comrades. "She's the one I should protect" sounds best because it shows that he feels responsible for her without showing his love or relationship to her. Had Guts been planning on calling her a comrade or old friend he would have to elaborate on the subject especially if he was thinking about the demon child.

Actually it was a good idea for Guts to pause when answering this quesiton considering all the different things Casca has meant to him over the years, and how much he wants his companions to know about him. I think if Guts thought things out he'd go with "She's the one I should protect" otherwise he'd stay silent, not wanting to divulge anymore secrets from his past.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Okin said:
I don't think this sounds very much like Guts

Well then maybe you should rethink it, since he did answer Roderick's question (or at least intended to) and his answer would have been something along the lines of what's been proposed in this thread.

Okin said:
Actually it was a good idea for Guts to pause when answering this quesiton

He didn't pause actually, and in fact he could have very well answered Roderick's question while the focus was on Farnese and Schierke in their room.

Miura did a good job on not finishing that line XD
Because I don't think there would be a line that fits everything. Guts and Casca's relationship is too complicated to sum in one sentence.

Well, except, "She's my girlfriend who was violated by the demon god and needs protecting."

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
"...bitch." :guts:

Anyway, it's a nice moment, but I'd really like to know how he characterized it. Guts usually isn't very candid but it was a private moment with someone who's enough of a stranger that he might feel more comfortable giving him a straight answer than someone closer. And before being put on the spot, did he even really know how he feels about the situation at this point (it obviously brought all those feelings and memories to the surface)?

Whatever it was, I wonder if he'd give Roderick a different answer after being rescued and possibly getting mouth to mouth by him. =)

I don't see the point in Guts playing Macho anymore, or at least in the "*BLUSH* ITS NOT TRUE SO I'LL SAY SOMETHING ELSE<_<" manner. He's a man god damn it, or at least I think he's mature enough at this point just to be honest. I personally think its...

" She's my girl I've gone through hell and back for/with, first woman I made love to after being DISGRUNTLED WITH THE TOUCHING for ten years (?), fought next to for years on end, oh she bore my "DEMON Child", and I went to the LITERAL (non-technical) Hell itself and watched her get raped by GRIFFFFFFFFFFFITSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (Femto sic)!"
:griff:
I dunno, I Guess I don't see the point in the buildup and think its more absurd/out of place to say something like "She's just my fucking sister in arms."

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I don't think it's a matter of maturity, since the beginning Guts has had a painful existence and has always kept his private life private, even when it doesn't matter; plus, the only person that he's ever truly confided in is now insane. =)

Griffith No More! said:
Anyway, it's a nice moment, but I'd really like to know how he characterized it. Guts usually isn't very candid but it was a private moment with someone who's enough of a stranger that he might feel more comfortable giving him a straight answer than someone closer. And before being put on the spot, did he even really know how he feels about the situation at this point (it obviously brought all those feelings and memories to the surface)?

That's why I'd be surprised if Guts gave him an answer articulating strong sentimental feelings. Besides Casca currently hates him and he knows it. I couldn't picture Guts saying she was his in that kind of way.

I don't think Casca's "hating him" (she's insane, after all) has anything to do with how he feels for her. He loves her all the same, and he protects her all the same. Even before Casca began to love Guts (when she was infatuated with Griffith), Guts cared for her.

As to something sounding like Guts, I'm siding with "She's the one I should protect", I also like "She's all I have left" but I doubt Guts would be that emo.

yota821 said:
I don't think Casca's "hating him" (she's insane, after all) has anything to do with how he feels for her. He loves her all the same, and he protects her all the same. Even before Casca began to love Guts (when she was infatuated with Griffith), Guts cared for her.

I don't mean to say that he loves her any less. I just don't think he cannot (or would) say she is "his woman" or something similar when Caska's feelings for him, insane or otherwise, aren't returned.

Just out of curiosity, when Guts starts that sentence saying "Aitsu wa, Ore no.." is it likely to be a single noun following the posessive particle, or could the sentence have possibly ended with a verb after that?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Sparnage said:
Just out of curiosity, when Guts starts that sentence saying "Aitsu wa, Ore no.." is it likely to be a single noun following the posessive particle, or could the sentence have possibly ended with a verb after that?

I don't pretend to know a lot of japanese, but I'm fairly certain that doesn't prove anything about the rest of the sentence or speech. Guts could have ended it right there or gone on in a lengthy diatribe about the average wingspan of the African swallow.
Its important to note that while its nice to wonder what Guts would have said about his relation to Casca, it wasn't narratively important at that time. What was meant and what happened was how Guts would have possibly (note: not definitely) shown affection towards Casca and that was something Farnese couldn't really handle to hear. Had it been important for Roderick (or the audience) to hear it we would have.

vlad said:
As to something sounding like Guts, I'm siding with "She's the one I should protect", I also like "She's all I have left" but I doubt Guts would be that emo.

Seriously though, even if he said that (which will be untrue of course, since I doubt he regards his companions as nothing), I don't see how that would be "emo" at all. This episode and Guts' line of actually showing emotion is really getting twisted around, and as CnC said, what Guts feels or would have said isn't important, it's the reaction(s) to that display of emotion.

Top Bottom