Sonia and evolution

I've searched the forum but I couldn't find any hard discussion about Sonia previously. I believe she's a very interesting character because of her abilities, which aren't derived from channeling spirits or (as far as we know) related to Godhand.

From my understanding and by reading Aazealh's thoughts on the Idea of God, the Idea of God was once an organism that was formed by the collective thoughts of humanity, but like a fetus being born, the Idea severed it's ethereal umbilical cord and became independent of humanity and was capable of altering humanity. It's exactly like an AI that eventually has enough programming to deal with reality itself. And Idea doesn't want competing AI's, so it starts Inquisitions so that no new Idea is capable of being born. But limiting reproduction of other Idea's, may be in vain because humanity could evolve to produce a resistance to the current Idea.

The basic premise of the Red Queen is that prey species are reproducing to escape their control of predator species and predator species have to correspondingly, reproduce to adapt to prey species evolution. The Idea is capable of learning, but it's not capable of evolving. It's stagnant. And the godhand admitted that they couldn't foresee everything when Skullknight came uninvited to Griffith's eclipse, which implies the Idea of God is limited. Classical laissez-faire economists couldn't foresee the Great Depression and it took a new framework by the economist, John Maynard Keynes, to get us out of the Great Depression. Paraphrasing John Kenneth Galbraith, the conventional wisdom can be so shocked by reality that it dies and is replaced.

Now under selective pressure from the forces of Godhand, humanity may be evolving a resistance to the Interstice and the current Idea of God. It's possible evolution has been selecting mutations within us to combat the Interstice. Sonia could be the first example of such an evolution. If she can see fate, she could be seeing Idea's plan and has the capacity to undo it. Guts and Skullknight are also outside the story and are causing entropy in Idea's plan. And because humanity is evolving, Berserk's humans could be capable of escaping the shackles of God, independent of Elfhelm. In the real world, this corresponded to the Enlightenment, that we could be capable of finding moral truth using human reasoning rather than divine inspiration. If enough Sonia's existed in the Berserk world, it could cause enough entropy that Idea becomes blind and cannot foresee a sequence of events that leads to a shock in its thinking and causes it to crash or possibly a competing Idea being born.

Not sure why John Maynard Keynes has anything to do with the Godhand, but the Godhands' knowledge is hardly based on "conventional wisdom". They're only limited during times of great convergences in timelines (or fates, if you will), such as the Occultation. Other than that they're pretty much omniscient.

Sonia's power is not unlike what Schierke's when she distracts or confuses the flow of Od, like she did when she distracted the trolls or the soldiers at Vritannis. Also, her powers are augmented by the mere presence of Griffith, so actually it's the opposite of what you're stating; she isn't evolved to become more resistant, she's actually influenced even more.

Hi DetriusXii, there are a few points that I'd like to comment on in this theory of yours.
Firstly the creation of the Idea of Evil, it was, as you said, made by man, but it represents the ego of the dark side of human consciousness. In that respect it is hard to conceive that other entities like it could spring from the same source, so to speak, and further more there is no evidence in the manga that points to the existence of something else like it. As for the part with the Inquisition, well I'm not really sure where you're going with this. Idea's purpose, as it declares, is to provide humans with reasons for their suffering, pain, deaths etc. all the bad feelings that gave birth to it in thee first place. In that sense the Inquisition could be a useful tool, but not to , as you say, "no new Idea is capable of being born". It might be a good idea to read the lost episode again to clarify this part HERE is the translation (it's worth checking for the music as well :serpico:).

The Idea is capable of learning, but it's not capable of evolving. It's stagnant. And the godhand admitted that they couldn't foresee everything when Skullknight came uninvited to Griffith's eclipse, which implies the Idea of God is limited.
Idea is the only God, or godlike entity, in Berserk and while it may not be omnipotent it is certainly extremely powerful, it influences causality. I really don't see the need for evolution here. And stagnant? It has set in motion a plan that requires an enormous time span, influencing causality, in short something thats hardly stagnating, plus it's a God, even if it's minions (perhaps a strong word for the God Hand) cannot foresee everything it does not imply that it is itself limited.

Now under selective pressure from the forces of Godhand, humanity may be evolving a resistance to the Interstice and the current Idea of God. It's possible evolution has been selecting mutations within us to combat the Interstice.
I'm not sure what forces could be behind such a process,I mean, the major force at work in the world of Berserk is the Idea of Evil, it surely would not want such a development and has the means to prevent it. To oppose it would require another equally (at least!) force pushing it's agenda and from what we've seen from the forces of nature (represented by the Elemental Kings) they don't seem to be doing anything like that. Sonia isn't really that good of an example, she senses the flow of Od and seems to be able to look into the future but those abilities are being used to further Idea's plan.
Also the part "resisting the Interstice", you might be confused here, the Interstice is a layer of the world one in which the branded people find themselves, it isn't where God Hand reside. Check out this cool GRAPH for clarification.
Another part is "independent of Elfhelm", this also seems off the mark. The elves choose seclusion in Elfhelm because of humans and their rejection of "the old ways", and it is highly unlikely that they are there hatching a plan to enslave humanity.
All in all, the only viable forces resisting the Idea of Evil have so far been firstly Skull Knight and then Guts (as you mentioned), there's IMHO no evidence to support that some sort of evolutionary pattern is emerging.
I tried to be clear, but if somewhere during this post I failed in that intention don't hold it against me!
Cheers!

Top Bottom