How does Berserk appeal to female readers?

it has lots of violence ,gore and nudity that obviously are focused for the adult male reader population so I m rather curious what draws the female readers to Berserk :guts:

I can honestly say when I first saw a picture of Guts, I was really unimpressed. I even thought he looked boring.

Now though? I think he's the sexiest male character I've come across in a story. He's rough and manly (most attractive males tend to be really clean and "pretty", and suave, so it's a bit different for me), and he's a one-woman man (which boosts his +sexy points way up somehow), and he's gone through a lot you just want to give him a hug and hope everything turns out alright for him.

But yeah, I would never have guessed. I mean, he even knocked my past favorite male characters off their thrones. That's impressive. I also love that Casca isn't the typical female love interest (and really now, a darker skinned character that's important?)

I think a lot of girls would adore the "love story" buried underneath all that awesome other stuff some may or may not be into.

Oh yeah, when I read it the first way through, I couldn't help but feel like the author had a decent grasp of the female emotional-wishy washyness ('cause I'll be the first to admit we do it). Like in a non-stereotype-ish way, he nailed a lot of the reactions or thoughts of the female characters. I just kinda consciously considered it, but it's possible I'm making that up in my head. Still, never crossed my mind while reading any other manga/book.

Aazealh said:
Not that much actually. Some people just don't seem to see the rest.

yeah not that much in the golden age or the current arc but theres certainly a lot in the Retribution Arc.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
xfool said:
yeah not that much in the golden age or the current arc but theres certainly a lot in the Retribution Arc.

Well I guess that depends on what you mean by "a lot".

Bowie-Spawan

The God Ass
It's dark fantasy, that's why I picked it up in the first place.
I've always been into fantasy stories and I'm not too fond of mushy stuff. I guess I don't really fit into the usual sheme in general as all my favourite Mangas are Shounen or Seinen titles 8D;

I also have a blatantly obvious weakness for anti heroes (Elric of Melniboné still ranges first as my favourite fictional character).
I love well developed stories that get me thinking. And psychologically believable characters. I love that even the side characters are all well developed and interesting (I'm such a Luca fangirl).
One major appeal of Berserk is that the main cast had to go through a lot of shit and still they keep moving on. Kinda like a figurative kick in the ass to myself when I discover myself moaning about my own life >_>;

....and completely aside from all that, Guts is sexay~
I actually first had a thing for Griffith looks wise when he first appeared, but Guts grew on me quite fast during the Golden Age Arc. And now he's just getting more kickass.

...and I happen like dramatic fights with flying limbs and bloody intestines :chomp:

feruastide

Oh fiddlesticks, I can never get this chord right!
I don't know, after my male friend watched the animated series I was able to talk him into reading the comics. He seemed more upset at all the rape and the 'damsel in distress' post-eclispe Casca than I was. And I have to admit I'm a little feminazi over some things.

One of the main pulls, for me, is the art work. I guess I got tired of reading watered down art where all the characters looked the same, and it was hard to tell the men apart from the women. Mirua's work has a nice manish quality that I find pleasant to look at.

That and I grew up in a home with a father obsessed with Conan the Barbarian (there's even a framed poster of Schwarzenegger in all his musclely glory hanging pridely on a wall) so it just seemed natural to like big men with big weapons. :guts:

Okay on a shallow tip- Have you seen Guts and Griff? I mean Griff (my nickname for him) is HOT! lol in a femme sort of way I suppose...
Anyway..lol..It has a good storyline and I enjoy the artwork and deep questions it poses. Also, as an African American female I like the fact that Casca is a main character and main love interest. Which I don't see in many comics.

-OCK

Do any of the administrators/moderators happen to know the ratio of specified male and specified female members on this forum or would I have to run a poll to find that out?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't know there was a statistics center.

Peregrine_Falcon said:
Do any of the administrators/moderators happen to know the ratio of specified male and specified female members on this forum or would I have to run a poll to find that out?

I'm neither administrator nor moderator but I can look into the Statistics Center. :carcus:

male : female
6.5 : 1
:guts: :casca:

Of course, You have to consider that the N/A-Gender is not included.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Biggest appeal for me is the art, characters, and story are all the best shit I've ever seen in graphic print. Most manga artists are good, if nothing else they can produce tons of good work, many manga stories are fun and well crafted... but Miura just... WHAUGH. I mean, Moebius has art this good but none of his stuff ever goes anywhere. That kind of thing. Miura keeps me in love with the constant evolution of the whole package. Guts is chock-full of heart and determination. Very loveable. The women are treated like real women, the men are treated like real men, no punches pulled for either. I like that a lot too. So many manga just have Waify Girl, Butch Girl, and Cute Girl.

Tennyo_night_elf

Huh? What just happened?
For me it has always been the story. Anything I read I want there to be a deep and wondrous story and wonderful character interaction and development.

I love anime is secretly an otaku >.> and thought the story sounded interesting. I've always loved fighting, action and period pieces. So when I finished watching the anime I was blown away with everything it has to offer. It's not just your run of the mill anime or manga. Basically what all the other girls said before me apply. So as the anime ends on a rather mind numbing note, I thought that was it. When I found out about the manga...I almost ran to the store to buy it. I'm caught up now, waiting for the next episode to come.

But being a girl, and though I adore fighting, action and battles, I love romance. And the story between Casca and Guts just melts my heart. To me, Miura creates something that is real and intense. What keeps me hard glued to this series would have to be the relationship between Casca and Guts (I do like the other wonderful things about it) and how it has changed over the years.

That and a big sword through an enemies belly. ~.^ (Gotta love the gore!) :guts:

Btw, tis my first post, so hello everyone. =D

Well.. for me, being a female, thought its hard to tell if you don't see me XD I'm just one of the guys so.. yea I guess its different for me. I like violence, gore & war - a hobby of mine so to say; also occult/bizarre things. Plus I like comedy, hence Puck. But I also dislike romance, least big stories revolved around romance; only type of romance I like is Courtly love. Berserk tends to not strive on the love, I mean it obviously does but not in a huge way as in sex and drama and all that bullshit.

Hey Now,

I'm a forum virgin, so I guess this pops that cherry, then.

It is great to see fellow Berserk fans in general. I am a female reader, but can really only speak for myself. I can see how violence, gore and nudity may not appeal to meeker people, but call a woman 'the meeker sex' nowadays and you will probably get a big F.U. Don't get me wrong, I am no feminazi. Quite the opposite really. I stay at home cooking, cleaning and bearing children for my husband, lol. But...I don't think Miura had a particular audience gender in mind when he created it, I may be wrong. I am happy to be part of the minority, though.

Lovecraftian horrors, an intricate and original story, and marvelous character development has made me a slave to this series. It is just the most brilliant thing to come out since the bible in my opinion. It is my sweet escape from life inside the white picket fence. :casca:

Hi!
Like _Noone_ I'm new arround here.

I guess that Berserk has a strong story and (like everything) it's not suitable for everyone.
I loved the anime, and I've read all manga scans until now. However my boyfriend simply got shocked with all the rapes :schierke:.
Maybe the women stereotype doesn't fit the Berserk fan one but that doesn't mean that women can't like Berserk.

BTW Guts is sexy :guts: ^_^.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I made my wife read it.

I literally sat her down on the chair and made her read Berserk.

She had nightmares for a few weeks, but I think the experience was worth it. Now she knows how to respond to Berserk related discussions.

To make things fair, I watched the entire Cardcaptor Sakura show. A heavy price...

Hmmm. Well first of all I saw the anime first, and up to the Eclipse I must say I really related to Caska a lot and found her to be an awesome female character role model. I was particularly hurt when I saw the Eclipse and for a long time I figured Miura was a sexist pig for making the awesome strong female character a helpless sex object. I was pissed for a long time but the more I thought about it I got over it since I'm pretty sure that wasn't exactly the reason Miura did it. If anything, it's common in epic-style stories for that sort of thing to happen and I can't deny that it happens. Despite this I really still see her as an awesome role model at least before all that shit went down.
I didn't get into Berserk because Guts is attractive, even if I do think he is HOT. I think it's more his personality that matters in his case since I think he's a bit over-muscled for my tastes.
But that's the thing, his character alone definitely has an appeal to women, regardless of his looks. I mean he's the big strong guy who can protect his women but still is human inside. Really, I can easily get past the sex violence and rape since I love that sort of thing anyway (er, minus the rape.) I prefer violent and dark shows, but there's more about Berserk that appeals to me as a woman than that.

Top Bottom