Episode 288

Thanks for the scan Saiya, it's Roderick's time to shine and establish his status among the others caracters i guess :).

(now before i read the scan when the talk of pirates surfaced i got Asterix's pirate images on my mind ::) ...)

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Just noticed that when Serpico and Rodrick are talking that Serpico's eye's are starting to open! He is getting ready to unleash his power! :isidro:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Thanks for the scans as usual but, wth is this crap, really?
Jebus, Miura really needs the rest and get his mojo back, this shit has seen better days indeed. Apart from some of the Griffith and Princess scenes, and the art (gorgeous!), the plot doesnt hold much interest.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, first the Troll of the Rings saga and now Berserkers of the Caribbean. It's as if the plot is at it's most incomplete point right now, it's felt that way every new episode for a while, like we're stuck in the middle, can't see ahead, and it only move forward 20 pages at a time, weeks apart! That's really bad reading in relation to the overall story, why can't I download the whole thing at once like the classic Golden Age arc? I never noticed any boring, stupid stuff when I read 10 volumes in one sitting, that was great! Compared to that, this plot and pacing is awful and I hope Miura can right the ship (LOL) and wrap everything up by sept 14th or a few weeks after, 'cause this series has gone dramatically downhill since last week ago.. I mean, the series ends with a horse ship for now, wth?

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I've been around alot longer than the Troll saga and i can compare the excitement of those days, waiting for a new episode, to this. Althought there are some good scenes from time to time, for years now, its been alot weaker (and disappointing imo), and i can see myself loosing interest in the future, and probably reading it all, when its over, like you say.

SaiyajinNoOuji

It's funny but the guys that deal with Hajime no Ippo were pretty much talking about the same situation. People were arguing about the how certain fights were going and it pretty much ended up being that people hate or are to impatient with the weekly, bi-weekly releases.

Patience young padawan. :puck:

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
I've been around alot longer than the Troll saga and i can compare the excitement of those days, waiting for a new episode, to this.

Well, that's the problem in itself; you're making a literary judgement based on an external reading experience rather than an internal literary one. It's like judging food on how you had to eat it rather than how it tastes (like trying to eat a sandwich with two weeks in between each bite compared to having it for lunch =). You can't judge the state of the plot based on a few episodes, which is only a few short minutes of reading in context of the whole, especially this soon. Personally, I don't know how much I like a segment of the story or not until long after it's passed and I can actually see it somewhat in context. It's hard to see how the episodes actually work together reading them in this format, and it's literally impossible with the latest episodes. It's just too small a sample size and not meant to stand alone, it comes down to simply "good scenes" as you put it, but they wouldn't be good without everything that frames them (for instance, this episode automatically changes my perception of the previous pirate encounter, but I won't know how I'll really feel about it all for years maybe =).

Anyway, if you don't like the pirates, fine, if you don't like how things have changed overall, that's your business as well, just don't make any snap literary critiques based on a new episode, because we don't know how they fit in.

Bowie-Spawan

The God Ass
Arrr

Thanks for the timely delivery, I'm liking the pdf formatting :void:
Much thanks.

Awesome episode. I want Rod to kick some ass; I've gotten really fond of him.
Can't wait to read the translation. *hops*

Am I the only person that enjoys epic sea fights? Go pirates 8D
I'm sure Miura will turn this into an awesome battle.

Griffith

On a minor note, on the last page Roderick is looking very reminiscent of Griffith from a badass/confidence standpoint (and it seems as though he is the Griffith of the sea by reputation). He actually kind of looks like Guts' and Griffith's grownup lovechild there. Anyway, a very cool shot of him.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Griffith No More! said:
On a minor note, on the last page Roderick is looking very reminiscent of Griffith from a badass/confidence standpoint (and it seems as though he is the Griffith of the sea by reputation). He actually kind of looks like Guts' and Griffith's grownup lovechild there. Anyway, a very cool shot of him.
I can already envision the yaoi berserk fan writers hard at work!

Rodrick- "Alright boys, we showed those pirates what for! We worked hard, now its time to play hard!"

hmmm, could roderick be the tactition needed to topple griffith once he gains power?
i'm thinking out of my ass, so don't take me seriously on that point

otherwise great ep, i cant wait to see what the actual dialogue between caska and farnese is; also i do kinda like the idea that roderick has a reputation at sea, and a ship to be feared

pity for the wait...

SaiyajinNoOuji

thesyndrome said:
hmmm, could roderick be the tactition needed to topple griffith once he gains power?
i'm thinking out of my ass, so don't take me seriously on that point

otherwise great ep, i cant wait to see what the actual dialogue between Casca and farnese is; also i do kinda like the idea that roderick has a reputation at sea, and a ship to be feared

pity for the wait...
You know its already translated right? Check out the translation section!

I don't know about Roderick having the tactics needed to topple Griffith let alone Femto-Reincarnated-Griffith. I know you said not to take you seriously but I think that if/when the confrontation happens, any tactic will not be affective seeing how Griffith can see how things play out.

I base this on the fact that we have not been shown that he HASN'T retained his God Hand power and also that he has Sonja who can see in the future some what.

Perhaps I should clear up what I'm trying to say with normal based tactics may fall short. If anything they would not to tackle him with magical tactics if that makes sense.

Thank you for the scans Saiya!
Farnese is taking it perty hard :judo:
though maybe if Roderick kicks ass and proves himself, Farnese will start to see him as he sees her?

SaiyajinNoOuji

mega_devastation said:
Thank you for the scans Saiya!
Farnese is taking it perty hard :judo:
though maybe if Roderick kicks ass and proves himself, Farnese will start to see him as he sees her?
Although that may be what he wants but what about poor Serpico? Griffith no More had pointed out that he was there when Farnese was freaking out to Casca. It's ironic that Farnese is yelling at Casca for not being greatful to Gut's for everything that he does to her when its the exact same scenario for Farnese and Serpico.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
prawnstyle said:
hmm, the link isn't working for me...could someone upload it to another link? Would be much appreciated
Link works for me. I think what people aren't doing properly is waiting for the episode to load afer you enter the code on the wiki download page. Give it a few minutes before navigating away from the page.

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Thanks Saiya.

Too bad for the pirates that Roderick is so good on the sea, but our intrepid band also has firepower on the ship beyond cannons. Hmm, I wonder what Schierke could call up from the ocean. Of course, it might not be necessary if Roddy is as good as advertised.

I don't think we'll be seeing the Band do much this time around. I agree with the general consensus, it's Roderick's time to shine. He even said that they weren't much help on land, but to let him take care of things on the water. I have a feeling Roderick's Sea Horse will make quick work of 2 pirate ships, but the 3rd one will give them some trouble. Hopefully, we'll see some boarding action and YES, I do think we'll see a re-match between Isidro and the Pirate Captain (Boss). Mmm, maybe Roderick will take him on. Sept 14th...*sighs*

I have Adobe Reader 6.0 and have tried loading this a couple of times and I get an error that says it's not a supported file type or the file has been corrupted. Anyway, from the rest of you, it sounds like a good episode.

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Although that may be what he wants but what about poor Serpico? Griffith no More had pointed out that he was there when Farnese was freaking out to Casca. It's ironic that Farnese is yelling at Casca for not being greatful to Guts for everything that he does to her when its the exact same scenario for Farnese and Serpico.

oh crap! i didnt notice, it was very subtle! yer right, i hadnt thought of that, it really is sad that he gets no recongnition for taking care of farnese : (

In the next episode Roderick will be showing up to his fiance..
Is it a good timing for those pirates find a behelit ? An Eclipse in high sea ?
The Black Pearl rising again

Thank you Saiya, and well well, isn't Roderick full of surprises. I can't help but feel out of Guts group, he is one of the most likely to be killed first or second.

Griffith No More! said:
Well, that's the problem in itself; you're making a literary judgement based on an external reading experience rather than an internal literary one. It's like judging food on how you had to eat it rather than how it tastes (like trying to eat a sandwich with two weeks in between each bite compared to having it for lunch =). You can't judge the state of the plot based on a few episodes, which is only a few short minutes of reading in context of the whole, especially this soon. Personally, I don't know how much I like a segment of the story or not until long after it's passed and I can actually see it somewhat in context. It's hard to see how the episodes actually work together reading them in this format, and it's literally impossible with the latest episodes. It's just too small a sample size and not meant to stand alone, it comes down to simply "good scenes" as you put it, but they wouldn't be good without everything that frames them (for instance, this episode automatically changes my perception of the previous pirate encounter, but I won't know how I'll really feel about it all for years maybe =).

Anyway, if you don't like the pirates, fine, if you don't like how things have changed overall, that's your business as well, just don't make any snap literary critiques based on a new episode, because we don't know how they fit in.

Agree totally. It has been harder for me to keep my interest since I've been reading it from week to week, it's natural. I read up to volume 25 all within 2 weeks. Were there slower less interesting parts in certain episodes during the story? Dunno, I was onto the next Episode 5 minutes later and it connected well to the next one, so it wasn't noticeable. Now the longer we wait, in particular as the breaks between episodes becomes bigger and bigger it is inevitably harder to appreciate.

Almost exactly a year ago Guts and Zodd put their combined forces to give Ganishka a mark on his head. In another year, the crew will be just moving on from this pirate business.

Top Bottom