The Brand in volume 13

I just finished reading Vol. 13. Man, pretty shocking. There was one little detail I noticed that didn't sit well with me, and I'm wondering if this was "creative license" on Miura's part or if there is an explanation based on the mythology of the series.

Right before Casca is raped by Femto, we clearly see both Guts and Casca had been branded. Femto is so close to Casca during the rape, yet her brand doesn't shoot out geysers of blood as Guts' did when he attempted to strike Femto at the beginning of the series (Vol.2 or 3, I can't remember).

I thought that the brand was supposed to react violently in the proximity of such a highly-ranked demon such as a member of the godhand. Right before the rape you can see a trickle of blood coming out above her breast, but hardly a geyser, unless Femto has some kind of power over the brand's response.

Which, I suppose would make sense. In that regard the brand could be used as a weapon or device of subjugation that godhand members could use to their own will or advantage.

Any thoughts? :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind their branding was also recent, that is likely the reason why their brands didn't react very strongly (if you pay attention, Guts' brand didn't bleed much either, nor those of the other Hawks). It's interesting to note that Theresia's mother is shown dying with her brand unbleeding as well in volume 3.

CnC

Ad Oculos
OmegaSeamaster said:
Right before Casca is raped by Femto, we clearly see both Guts and Casca had been branded. Femto is so close to Casca during the rape, yet her brand doesn't shoot out geysers of blood as Guts' did when he attempted to strike Femto at the beginning of the series (Vol.2 or 3, I can't remember).

It isn't really explained, but to add on top of what Aaz said I imagine it would detract from the situation to have Guts and Casca both bleeding profusely from the brands on top of the rape/other severe bodily injury.

OmegaSeamaster said:
unless Femto has some kind of power over the brand's response.

Which, I suppose would make sense. In that regard the brand could be used as a weapon or device of subjugation that godhand members could use to their own will or advantage.

Nothing really points to this ability. The brand reacts to beings of other realms rather than the other way around.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Nothing really points to this ability. The brand reacts to beings of other realms rather than the other way around.

Yes. A good example is how Casca's brand strongly responded to Griffith's presence in volume 22, triggering his departure. He couldn't influence or stop the reaction he was causing.

I totally agree, CnC. Of course you can't have any drama if geysers of blood are spouting everywhere! Haha.

Just something I picked up on.

Another question, and maybe this has something to do with the bleeding question...are people who are branded expected to be killed/eaten then and there on the spot? The snail count's wife in the flashback seemed to be devoured ASAP, and the remaining hawks were toast not long after they got branded.

I'm sure that Guts and Casca defied all odds by surviving the ordeal of the Eclipse. As CnC pointed out, the brand was fresh and didn't bleed all that much in Vol. 13. Maybe over time it acquires some more nefarious properties.

Again nothing to substatiate, but it's fun to wonder.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
OmegaSeamaster said:
are people who are branded expected to be killed/eaten then and there on the spot?

Pretty much, yeah.

OmegaSeamaster said:
As CnC pointed out, the brand was fresh and didn't bleed all that much in Vol. 13. Maybe over time it acquires some more nefarious properties.

Actually I believe I'm the one that said so. I think it basically takes a little while before the Brand gets "active". Could be a few hours or a few days, but not more. Other than that, I don't think it acquires more properties over time. However it's possible that it could be refined with practice as some kind of 6th sense, for example allowing to sense subtler things, variations, etc. Nothing really points to this though, we know that Guts was able to sense Flora through the Brand, or that he can detect astral creatures and differentiate them from apostles, but nothing says that he couldn't have done it during the Black Swordsman arc.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Perhaps its best not to spoil too much after what happens in 13, eh aaz? The kid said he just finished reading it. :serpico:

It's why I didn't really include the vol 22 example.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Perhaps its best not to spoil too much after what happens in 13, eh aaz? The kid said he just finished reading it. :serpico:

It's why I didn't really include the vol 22 example.

Ah. Yeah sorry that didn't really cross my mind. We have a thread specifically for spoilerless discussions though. :puck:

OmegaSeamaster said:
Oops! Sorry to not give you credit AAzealh. My mistake.

Don't worry, it's nothing. I hope I didn't spoil the story too much to you if you haven't read past volume 13. In the future to avoid spoilers you can ask your questions in this thread.

It's ok, actually. I plan on taking a break after book 14 in order to give Dark Horse more time to issue more volumes since I tend to buy 7 to 10 books at a time. I figure the point where the story reverts back to the "present" of the Black Swordsman is a good time to take a breather.

I'll probably have forgotten the spoiler info by then!

Top Bottom