Will there be a second season for the anime?

Hi people!
I'm really pleased to be a new member of the skullknight forum!
Well, i'm from brazil and since i saw berserk anime , about 4 eyers ago i became a great fan of this amazing serie!!
Actually i'm reading the manga that is being officially edited in the country, ''finally'' , but unfortunatelly the editon here is so far from the original one that is being released in japan; It seems we just in the middle of the story and will need some years to reach the japanese edition :judo:
The question is:
Anybody know anything obout a project to complete the berserk anime serie??
I think its so cruel to have a amazing anime like berserk without a complete end , dont you??
So if anyone knows anything , let me know please :SK:
See ya!!

CnC

Ad Oculos
hey there Grimmjow, welcome to sk.net :guts:

There are no plans or announcements regarding more berserk anime episodes.

Hello Grimmjow :)

If it makes you feel any better, English speakers who go by the official, professional translations are also far behind in the story and its also going to take them years to catch up so you're definitely not alone. But I think that Kentarou Miura was happy with what the first anime did: Show a sample of the masterpiece world of Berserk and leave you craving for more. If a complete anime were made from it, people would be less likely to buy the story in its original form since they wouldn't be going insane trying to find out what the hell happens to Guts and Griffith. I know I would have missed out on the Berserk manga if the anime felt complete (I don't read any manga except for Berserk and I'm sure that's the case with some other fans).

neko-sama

I'm so much faster and better strategist than Guts
Hello,

Grimmjow said:
Hi people!
I'm really pleased to be a new member of the skullknight forum!
Well, i'm from brazil and since i saw berserk anime , about 4 eyers ago i became a great fan of this amazing serie!!
Actually i'm reading the manga that is being officially edited in the country, ''finally'' , but unfortunatelly the editon here is so far from the original one that is being released in japan; It seems we just in the middle of the story and will need some eyers to reach the japanese edition :judo:

Well, from what I know, the official English language edition isn't that far ahead of yours, I believe the last Volume published by Dark Horse was 18.

The question is:
Anybody know anything obout a project to complete the berserk anime serie??
I think its so cruel to have a amazing anime like berserk without a complete end , dont you??
So if anyone knows anything , let me know please :SK:
See ya!!

Actually, the anime is complete and the way it was supposed to be (and, to be honest, was for me rather far from amazing). But you have to keep in mind, that was not to be a standalone thingy or 'another version' or whatever, but rather a [many many] minute long commercial/ad/trailer for the anime. And when you make those, your aim is to make people interested in the real product, not just amazed at how great the ad was. And as such, I think it did a rather good job.

btw it's my first post too, after being registered for some time and reading the forum for even longer. Yes, the usual doubts and fears of getting smacked around for being a newcomer saying ignorant things, but, well, can't keep silent forever, even if it means getting the aforementioned smack ;).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Grimmjow, welcome to SK.net.

The animated series is complete as it is. It was always intended to be that way. Like CnC said, there is no plan to continue it at all at this point. For that matter, if Berserk was to be animated again, it probably would be made into another, new series.

Peregrine_Falcon said:
But I think that Kentarou Miura was happy with what the first anime did

He wasn't all that satisfied with it actually.

neko-sama said:
But you have to keep in mind, that was not to be a standalone thingy or 'another version' or whatever, but rather a [many many] minute long commercial/ad/trailer for the anime. And when you make those, your aim is to make people interested in the real product, not just amazed at how great the ad was.

Hmm, I don't think that's true... The animated series was made as another version, and as a standalone series of its own. It wasn't just a giant TV commercial.

neko-sama said:
btw it's my first post too, after being registered for some time and reading the forum for even longer.

Welcome too then! :serpico:

i didnt know that he wasnt satisfied...but i can imagine it; i mean with all of the cuts, and the fact that the director didnt like gore (hence why so much was cut out/edited) its like the stripped the horror of the berserk universe down

people need to realise that the gore and rape and just some sort of guro fanservice, but instead constantly tell the reader exactly what the world is like in berserk...

I think their worst cut was removing the rape by Donovan; that was vital to Guts's character development. They probably wouldn't have been able to show the manga's graphic depiction on TV, but they could have at least hinted at it like most movies/shows do.

I had assumed that the gore was removed so that it could air on TV. When did the director say that he didn't like gore?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Peregrine_Falcon said:
Really? That surprises me considering how much supervision he had had over the anime. When did he say that?

It's a comment he made long ago (duh), but I can't give you the exact date offhand, sorry. Anyway, he didn't actually have much supervision over the animated series. Back then he didn't have time to work on it, so the creative staff just sent him their scripts for the episodes, and he sent them back with some corrections. That's basically the minimal involvement possible short of not being involved at all, and it explains flagrant errors like the line about the king in the first episode, Femto being the wrong color, etc. On the contrary, he was a lot more involved in the development of the DreamCast game, for which he personally wrote the story.

thesyndrome said:
the fact that the director didnt like gore (hence why so much was cut out/edited)

I think it was primarily edited because otherwise it wouldn't have been allowed on TV. It was already borderline at the time.

Peregrine_Falcon said:
Hello Grimmjow :)

If it makes you feel any better, English speakers who go by the official, professional translations are also far behind in the story and its also going to take them years to catch up so you're definitely not alone. But I think that Kentarou Miura was happy with what the first anime did: Show a sample of the masterpiece world of Berserk and leave you craving for more. If a complete anime were made from it, people would be less likely to buy the story in its original form since they wouldn't be going insane trying to find out what the hell happens to Guts and Griffith. I know I would have missed out on the Berserk manga if the anime felt complete (I don't read any manga except for Berserk and I'm sure that's the case with some other fans).
Really!! i thought the U.S edition were nearly to the japanese one!! :void:
the great problem with our official edition here is that it correspond to the half of the original one, so we need 2 numbers of ours ( 2 months)to 1 original. This way it will really take many eyars to achieve the original, but what to do....... :puck:

By the way I ,definetely agree with all coments you've made but i really think that would be very nice if they make the final part of the anime after the manga conclusion !!
don't you?
:guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Grimmjow said:
the great problem with our official edition here is that it correspond to the half of the original one, so we need 2 numbers of ours ( 2 months)to 1 original.

It's the same for the Italian edition. You can thank Panini Comics for that.

Grimmjow said:
By the way I ,definetely agree with all coments you've made but i really think that would be very nice if they make the final part of the anime after the manga conclusion !!

But the way the animated series was conceived makes it very hard if not impossible for it to continue beyond its actual conclusion. It wasn't made to go further than that. If Berserk was to be animated again it's more likely they would start anew.

Really!! i thought the U.S edition were nearly to the japanese one!! :void:

Well, it's nice to know that our suffering makes you feel better.

By the way I ,definitely agree with all comments you've made but i really think that would be very nice if they make the final part of the anime after the manga conclusion !!
don't you?

What I want is a decent Berserk game that I can get my hands on. The first one is for a system that went defunct a long time ago, and the second is only in Japanese.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
But the way the animated series was conceived makes it very hard if not impossible for it to continue beyond its actual conclusion. It wasn't made to go further than that. If Berserk was to be animated again it's more likely they would start anew.

Personally, I'm hoping for some OVAs sometime in the (relatively) near future. Lost Children chapter, anyone? :guts:

Berserk is too massive to fit into an OVA because not having the context of Guts's background through later parts would hurt any segment of the story and trying to encapsulate the entire golden age part and then some of the conviction/retribution arc (roughly TEN volumes worth of storyline) would be inviable. It would butcher the story and trying to just do the black swordsman arc would make the movie feel incomplete. Perhaps Kentaro Miura could write an original story with Guts that could make sense and properly fit into a movie.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Peregrine_Falcon said:
Berserk is too massive to fit into an OVA because not having the context of Guts's background through later parts would hurt any segment of the story ... Perhaps Kentarou Miura could write an original story with Guts that could make sense and properly fit into a movie.
Like, say, what he did with the Dreamcast game? It wasn't overtly necessary to go into the Golden Age arc with that story, and it worked very well. I don't see why an OVA couldn't do something similar.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I don't know, did you ever play the Dreamcast game without having seen Golden Age first? =)

As for Season 2...

season2.JPG

I can't wait.​

Though, I think they could go anywhere with it if interested, stand alone OVAs, a second season with some BS introductions of Puck and Skully if need be (since they BSed enough in the original anyway). Wouldn't it be hilarious to see Guts casually have a flashback of Skully by the campfire from volume 9? "We had no idea about the Eclipse... well, except when what appeared to be Death incarnate came on horseback to warn me, but I didn't think it was of note at the time, certainly not something you'd include in the story of my life."

Yeah, it'd be FAAAANTASTIC! :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Peregrine_Falcon said:
Berserk is too massive to fit into an OVA

Who said it'd be ONE only? It'd have to be a series of them, obviously. Anyway, why are we still talking about this? Maybe I need to merge that thread with the other 20+ pages one...

ZoddTheImmortal

I Seek Only The Strong
I wish...... when I first learned of Berserk I watched the anime and when it ended I was dying to wonder what happened on various websites people said that a season 2 was coming out then some very nice gentlemen told me that the manga continues far longer then the anime and he told me there would be no season 2 . So I went out and bought all the avalible books at the time, and read all the scans of berserk.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Hmm, i've learned to be careful with what i wish for, especially in the case of Berserk since there's a high possibility that it will not turn out is i'd like it to.
I'm rather torn on the whole subject because i'm actually pleased with the way that things are right now. A new season, whatever format it may be in, might as well mess everything up if it doesn't live up to the high expectations.

Top Bottom