Metroid Prime 3

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
I just want to say that i'm SOOOOO angry that it won't get a simultaneous release for the Cube. I mean really, would it have been that hard to throw us Cube owners a bone, especially when both of its predecessors were done for this system?
As it stands, i won't buy a Wii just for that title. Maybe i'll walk over to a friends place and play there.

SimplyEd said:
I just want to say that i'm SOOOOO angry that it won't get a simultaneous release for the Cube. I mean really, would it have been that hard to throw us Cube owners a bone
Just sticking my neck out to get chopped off, but hasn't the cube been dead in the water just about as long as the original X Box? I'm sure there are titles being published on it still but I thought Twilight Princess was the last donor for the Cube.

Bah, off topic again. I got a Wii this week and was hoping to get Metroid Prime 3 at some point, but it wasn't in stock yet. I might get after awhile, but eh...I've always been iffy about prime. Maybe because I've never sat down and played it for more than an hour or two, so I'm hoping I just never gave them enough of a chance. The reviews were positive for those too, so I'm hoping maybe 3 will convert me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Seriously, the GameCube was dead even when I bought it, 2 years ago. The console only had about 5 titles worth owning, in my opinion... (Metroid Prime, Ikaruga, Pikmin, Windwaker and RE4).

Anyway, Prime is definitely worth a shot. It's a great follow-up for anyone who liked Super Metroid. I was certainly skeptical when it first came out too, since Metroid is the quintessential 2d platformer, but Retro really nailed the crossover to FPS. It honestly does play like less of an FPS and more of a sci-fi exploration game. Maybe calling it "Myst with action" is going overboard, but the action:puzzle ratio is well-balanced, and similar to Myst, the atmosphere draws you in from the start. I could go on...

I'm hoping the reviews aren't lying about Prime 3, since they praised Prime 2 similarly, which blew chunks. I'll be picking 3 up along with my Wii, which I should be getting in November for my birthday :beast:

Walter said:
Seriously, the GameCube was dead even when I bought it, 2 years ago. The console only had about 5 titles worth owning, in my opinion... (Metroid Prime, Ikaruga, Pikmin, Windwaker and RE4).

Anyway, Prime is definitely worth a shot. It's a great follow-up for anyone who liked Super Metroid. I was certainly skeptical when it first came out too, since Metroid is the quintessential 2d platformer, but Retro really nailed the crossover to FPS. It honestly does play like less of an FPS and more of a sci-fi exploration game. Maybe calling it "Myst with action" is going overboard, but the action:puzzle ratio is well-balanced, and similar to Myst, the atmosphere draws you in from the start. I could go on...

I'm hoping the reviews aren't lying about Prime 3, since they praised Prime 2 similarly, which blew chunks. I'll be picking 3 up along with my Wii, which I should be getting in November for my birthday :beast:
After Super Metroid, not to say I didn't enjoy fusion or zero mission, "Metroidvania" became my quintessential replacement for Metroid and not Prime, though as I said in all fairness I did not ever own a Cube nor did I play more than 30 min. of Prime/2 hours of Prime 2 (mehaps why I was further distanced from it as you noted). I did get my Wii 2 days ago out of sure luck, working at my place and all we got 3 in. I had to have mine left at the counter in a shopping bag with my name on it (car was being worked on, had no place to put it while on the clock). Was hilarious how many people came up in -20- minutes looking for a Wii, not to mention being in a rural area. Oddly enough the only game I had money for after the fact was RE4 Wii. Anyways...
As for Prime 3, I'm definitely tempted. Perhaps after some TP I'll look into it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Manji said:
After Super Metroid, not to say I didn't enjoy fusion or zero mission, "Metroidvania" became my quintessential replacement for Metroid and not Prime
Ahahaha, Aaz'll love that qualification :guts: I'll grant you Aria of Sorrow and SotN are indisputable classics, but honestly, I'm not a fan of the rest of the series. The latter games really stray from the formula that made those two titles so successful — non-linearity. It's also this reason that Metroid: Fusion was a pile of shit. Too far from the original formula. Oh yeah, and Samus and ADAM in Fusion won't shut the fuck up. Throughout the whole game, it's like Metroid: Livejournal.

Speaking of formula, Metroid: Zero Mission was fucking amazing. I'm playing through that again right now, something like my 5th play through, and I'm still not sick of it. To me, it's the perfect Metroid game. I'm really looking forward to the possible redux of the GB's Metroid II.

I did get my Wii 2 days ago out of sure luck, working at my place and all we got 3 in.
Where I live, they've already reached market saturation, and are stocked in virtually every store that carries them, including Wal-Mart. Too bad I have to wait for my birthday... :judo:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Manji said:
After Super Metroid, not to say I didn't enjoy fusion or zero mission, "Metroidvania" became my quintessential replacement for Metroid and not PrimeAs for Prime 3,
Hehe, hell yeah man! I don't know, I enjoyed Metroid Fusion almost as much as Zero Mission. Those are to this day two of my favorite games for the GBA. Embarrassingly enough I only got about a few hours or so into Metroid Prime and didn't even play Metroid Prime 2 at all. The jump from 2d to 3d was really hard for me, I was still playing the GBA games and didn't have any interest in a 3d Metroid. I'm just now starting to come to my senses.

Walter said:
I'm really looking forward to the possible redux of the GB's Metroid II.

Say what? A 2d DS Metroid is just what I have been missing.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
Hehe, hell yeah man! I don't know, I enjoyed Metroid Fusion almost as much as Zero Mission. Those are to this day two of my favorite games for the GBA.
The gameplay itself was fine. However, the mission structure and plot were simply embarassing, and a slap in the face of what I'd come to expect from a Metroid game. The environment was poorly designed and generic (TO GET TO LEVEL 3 UNLOCK THE DOOR IN LEVEL 2). I was utterly infuriated when I was ordered by ADAM to fix the fucking Air Conditioning unit in a level (not exaggerating here). It's that kind of bossing around and mundane mission objectives (objectives?! in a Metroid game?! INCONCIEVABLE!) that made me hate the game. Even Zero Mission's "guiding lights" on the map are a little too much information for me. I guess I'm just a purist :puck:

To keep this post on target, for those interested, you can turn off mission hints in the Prime series. By default, they show you a location on a map where you should go for the next major equipment upgrade, along with a cryptic message about how that item is affecting the environment or something... I turn them off :carcus:

Say what? A 2d DS Metroid is just what I have been missing.
Rumors persist of Metroid: DREAD, a sequel to Fusion on the DS.

PS: Handsome, when I saw you replying to the thread, I could have sworn you'd tell me off for talking down about Castlevania somewhat :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
With all the attention Bioshock is getting lately it is easy to miss Wii's latest hit, Metroid Prime 3. Is anyone planning to pick this up tomorrow? For the first time I'm actually kicking myself in the ass for selling my Wii! Let me hear some impressions if anyone gets the game.

Well I've been waiting for it, but it's not coming out until a little while here.

SimplyEd said:
I just want to say that i'm SOOOOO angry that it won't get a simultaneous release for the Cube. I mean really, would it have been that hard to throw us Cube owners a bone, especially when both of its predecessors were done for this system?

Its predecessors. This one has been enhanced on a lot of levels and therefore couldn't be ported on GC even if they wanted to. I mean even graphically, it uses enough of the Wii's processing power that it couldn't run on GC. Then there's the control scheme that's just too specific to run on anything but the Wii.

SimplyEd said:
As it stands, i won't buy a Wii just for that title. Maybe i'll walk over to a friends place and play there.

Well there are other worthy games available or that will be soon, by Christmas I think it'll have a solid library.

Walter said:

You're a bit harsh, there were much more valuable games on it, many that are often overlooked too.

Walter said:
I'm hoping the reviews aren't lying about Prime 3, since they praised Prime 2 similarly, which blew chunks.

Hey, I like Metroid Prime 2! :puck:

Manji said:
"Metroidvania"

Retarded appellation sighted. :puck:

Manji said:
Oddly enough the only game I had money for after the fact was RE4 Wii.

Not a bad game for a start honestly, even if you've already finished it (if you haven't then it's a must-have). The Wii controls are fantastic with it.

Walter said:
I'll grant you Aria of Sorrow and SotN are indisputable classics, but honestly, I'm not a fan of the rest of the series. The latter games really stray from the formula that made those two titles so successful — non-linearity.

Well, you're also not a big fan of anything Pre-SoTN, so that limits the series quite a bit (and you're missing out on old school goodness). Especially knowing that the titles you refer to usually imitate SoTN in one way or another. I'll admit that games like Harmony of Dissonance weren't exceptional at all, but Circle of the Moon and DoS were very cool IMHO. I had mixed feelings about PoR, but in the end I also loved some parts of it, for example the original bosses, and for a game that was fully developed in a single year I think it kicked ass.

Guess it comes down to personal tastes on that issue. :guts:

Walter said:
Metroid: Fusion was a pile of shit.

I like Fusion. :judo:

Walter said:
I guess I'm just a purist :puck:

Bitter old man! :guts:

Walter said:
Rumors persist of Metroid: DREAD, a sequel to Fusion on the DS.

I think Dread's been long dead to be honest. EDIT: Ok, breaking news says there may yet be hope. I also don't think a remake of Metroid II was ever mentioned anywhere, which is too bad since that game was awesome back then. Horribly linear, but still awesome. All in all, I really hope a 2D Metroid comes out for NDS.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Walter said:
PS: Handsome, when I saw you replying to the thread, I could have sworn you'd tell me off for talking down about Castlevania somewhat :guts:

Hey man, different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm completely happy with basically playing the same Castlevania over and over again. As long as they keep the awesome presentation (atmosphere, music, characters, and some kind of new upgrade system) I'll play for 100% completion of anything IGA has to throw at me. I wouldn't call myself a Castlevania fanboy but...um...I guess I would call myself that. :guts:
I think your just bitter because Richter kept whoopin' your ass in Portrait of Ruin. And you can't say you didn't enjoy Dawn of Sorrow, I remember you having fun with that game.

Walter said:
Ahahaha, Aaz'll love that qualification :guts: I'll grant you Aria of Sorrow and SotN are indisputable classics
I thought Harmony was alright in past tense, not great but I think even that deserves mentioning. PoR was a decent time killer and like its pred. DoS...wow, now that I think about it, Dawn had the worst Castlevania story. They seriously sat there and said well, we made 1999...We won't bother to flesh it out because we know we won't make the "Final Battle With Dracula" as good as it should be...lets milk Dawn and go back to Rondo crap anime style to milk kids again!...

bah, got off, but I liked Dawn's throwback to CVIII with -decent- metroidvania...just with a shitload of crappy art/story.
Walter said:
Throughout the whole game, it's like Metroid: Livejournal.
Like Walt Whitman, the current mood was always set to apathetic. Fusion I liked for all of two minutes, but I did like Zero Mission a hell of a lot more as you mentioned. As for the Wii, you're lucky to be in an area of over saturation, I happened to live in a place that still has a hard time getting one. Truth be told, I'm not exactly over thrilled with having one in the sense of "worth the wait", but its still nice to have one.

And I know Aazealh just loves my qualification.
Metroidvania

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Manji said:
I thought Harmony was alright in past tense, not great but I think even that deserves mentioning. PoR was a decent time killer and like its pred. DoS...wow, now that I think about it, Dawn had the worst Castlevania story. They seriously sat there and said well, we made 1999...We won't bother to flesh it out because we know we won't make the "Final Battle With Dracula" as good as it should be...lets milk Dawn and go back to Rondo crap anime style to milk kids again!...

Well, I honestly think HoD is the worst of all the games, and even so I still liked it (only wish the collectible furniture served a purpose). It wasn't bad or anything, just not that innovative and rather short. I personally liked DoS a lot, and found PoR good as well, but not researched enough, I felt like it lacked something. I didn't think the story of DoS was particularly bad, and while the ugly artwork was annoying (same goes for PoR), it wasn't detrimental to my enjoyment of the game itself. Overall I think it's one of the best games in the series. The story was never the point of any Castlevania game anyway (which doesn't excuse the stupid stories they've been feeding off).

Manji said:
And I know Aazealh just loves my qualification.
Metroidvania

Well it's not your qualification, it's just a trendy and rather stupid (in that it's mostly pejorative and reductive) word to use to qualify post-SoTN games. I don't find its wide use justified at all.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Hmm, for my defense: I think it could have been done for the Cube. It would not have been exactly the same game though, that's true. Just saying that there are lots of people out there who didn't magically throw their gear out the window when the Wii came around. Add to that that there are still games being produced for this system. Not exactly a whole lot, but there still are some. Same goes for the Dreamcast, as unbelievable as it may sound.
Apart from that, it's rather sad that Prime 3 is not exactly viewed as a system seller. Just go look around the net and the general consent will be that Prime 3 is underhyped/underrepresented. And that surely is something if you consider that we're talking about a Metroid sequel here.
In a nutshell, it would have been a really nice call to finish the trilogy for the Cube. There is still a market left, so why not utilize it? But hey, that's just me. I'm not planing on buying a Wii anytime soon. As it stands, i'm still saving money for a 360...and a PS3 (because, at some point, there will be exclusive japanese RPGs for it..too bad the japanese systems are sold out at my local vendor for now).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SimplyEd said:
Hmm, for my defense: I think it could have been done for the Cube. It would not have been exactly the same game though, that's true. Just saying that there are lots of people out there who didn't magically throw their gear out the window when the Wii came around.

Well that goes for most games and most systems. I didn't throw my PS1 when the PS2 came out. It could have been done for the GC but the limitations would have really been detrimental to the game experience. The GC is dead and has been for a while too, so I can't blame Nintendo for wanting to take a fresh start with the Wii.

SimplyEd said:
Add to that that there are still games being produced for this system. Not exactly a whole lot, but there still are some. Same goes for the Dreamcast, as unbelievable as it may sound.

What good game is coming out exclusively for the GC? And let's not lie to ourselves about the DC, there's like two developers releasing commercial games on it and it's under 5 in total, etc. It's still considered a dead system.

SimplyEd said:
Apart from that, it's rather sad that Prime 3 is not exactly viewed as a system seller. Just go look around the net and the general consent will be that Prime 3 is underhyped/underrepresented.

Well, I don't know for other people but it certainly is what made me buy a Wii in the first place. There were also ads for it a while ago, I don't know how it is in the US right now but I'm not too worried overall. Internet opinions rarely reflect sales. And it's kind of funny that you're saying the game should be viewed as a system seller, then proceed to say you won't buy the system for it. :guts:

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejC-E71NDa0

SimplyEd said:
In a nutshell, it would have been a really nice call to finish the trilogy for the Cube. There is still a market left, so why not utilize it?

The GC market isn't so great honestly. I think it's more interesting to release the game for the Wii even on short-term for Nintendo, as it'll probably do sell systems, and the userbase is growing fast every week. What it comes down to is that the GC wasn't a success and Nintendo preferred to move on. I understand how you feel but it wouldn't be sensible for them to keep releasing games on the GC in late 2007.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Aazealh said:
Well, I don't know for other people but it certainly is what made me buy a Wii in the first place. There were also ads for it a while ago, I don't know how it is in the US right now but I'm not too worried overall. Internet opinions rarely reflect sales. And it's kind of funny that you're saying the game should be viewed as a system seller, then proceed to say you won't buy the system for it. :guts:

Hehe^^ I just realized, it really does sound funny that way.
I won't deny that this title will be the main incentive for many people to buy a Wii, and rightly so, i may add. It's just that it's quite peculiar that there really wasn't that much of a hype, in comparison with the predecessors or other games even. Normally, i don't give too much about the collective opinion of gameing netizens, but this time there was even a certain lack in that certain sector.
But yeah, it's true, MP3 is just not enough for me to buy a system that i'm otherwise pretty uninterested in.
Not to say that my opinion won't change in the future, no. For example, i didn't even want to buy a Cube at first, but in the end i eventually got one, and i'm not regretting it so far.

Aazealh said:
The GC market isn't so great honestly. I think it's more interesting to release the game for the Wii even on short-term for Nintendo, as it'll probably do sell systems, and the userbase is growing fast every week. What it comes down to is that the GC wasn't a success and Nintendo preferred to move on. I understand how you feel but it wouldn't be sensible for them to keep releasing games on the GC in late 2007.

Oh i think it's good for them to realize their dreams on the Wii, no doubt. I'm just thinking that a more limited edition for the Cube would have been nice. It's not like they have to shelve out too many units and i don't even think that such a thing would be too risky as i'm fairly certain that there would be a demand if there'd be an offer.
*sigh* It's just complaining over spilt milk in the end.

Aazealh said:
Well, I honestly think HoD is the worst of all the games, and even so I still liked it (only wish the collectible furniture served a purpose). It wasn't bad or anything, just not that innovative and rather short. I personally liked DoS a lot, and found PoR good as well, but not researched enough, I felt like it lacked something. I didn't think the story of DoS was particularly bad, and while the ugly artwork was annoying (same goes for PoR), it wasn't detrimental to my enjoyment of the game itself. Overall I think it's one of the best games in the series. The story was never the point of any Castlevania game anyway (which doesn't excuse the stupid stories they've been feeding off).

Well it's not your qualification, it's just a trendy and rather stupid (in that it's mostly pejorative and reductive) word to use to qualify post-SoTN games. I don't find its wide use justified at all.
I Would agree that Harmony is one of my least favorite Castelvanias, and that it was over pretty quickly. I don't think the DS CVs have had in the sense "lol well its sure under-developed compared to Belmonts vs Dracula round 4!", its just in all honesty compared to that as you said, I found them very weak stories that hindered too much of trying to think "Outside the Belmonts" and in the end to do such with so little development hinders the story automatically, no matter how decent of an attempt to deviate. I did like Aria's, but in general having some..you know, good art, makes all the difference in how a story is perceived. I'm hoping at best this is just IGA in a desperate attempt to enlarge the Japanese fanbase and maybe stays with the DS titles. But given I personally don't see a big next-gen Castlevania (maybe on the Wii?) I don't know if I can stomach the rest of the series following the same lack luster art.

As for metroidvania, yes I just use it to classify SOTN+, and its not something I like to use outside of laziness with classification.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm playing this game right now, I'm relatively far in and I love it enough to revive the thread. :guts:

It's more of the same stuff we got in Metroid Prime 1 & 2, but it's really well executed and I love all the little specifics of the game. The Wii controls are great, despite the loss of the ability to change the type of ray you're using (and then again, I'm sure half the players prefer a more Super Metroid-like approach anyway). I think the best addition is the grapple hook and everything you can do with it. It really adds depth to the gameplay and it's cool all around. The ship controls are also awesome and make for some cool scenes and mechanics. The interactions with the environment using the Wiimote and nunchuk feel really natural, and they greatly contribute to the immersion to me. It might sound stupid but making the motions when manipulating various levers and systems really enhances the experience for me.

As for the Hypermode system, it's just plain great and so is the whole premise of the story. If there's no equivalent in the next game it'll be sincerely missed. I guess the plot could have been refined though, and I wouldn't have minded seeing more Bounty Hunters in the game (or them getting more screen time), but that's minor stuff. All in all it's a great game, and though I haven't finished it yet, I'm already sad to know it won't get a direct sequel.

CnC said:
quit making me want a wii, aaz. I have enough shit already.

If you're a big FPS fan, this will likely just irritate you.

I hate how you keep turning if you accidentally point the wiimote past the sensor bar. It always takes me a second to realize that THAT is why I have no damn control of the screen.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nonsapient said:
I hate how you keep turning if your accidentally point the wiimote past the sensor bar. It always takes me a second to realize that THAT is why I have no damn control of the screen.

Hahaha, well that only happens to me when I scratch my head or something similar. I've learned to pause the game or use the morph ball before doing that. :guts:

Aazealh said:
Hahaha, well that only happens to me when I scratch my head or something similar. I've learned to pause the game or use the morph ball before doing that. :guts:

I just got in the habit of "Oh shit! Morph ball!".

It probably has a lot to do with how far my couch is from the TV to be honest. The amount of 'good' angle I have with the wiimote is exceedingly small.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nonsapient said:
I just got in the habit of "Oh shit! Morph ball!".

It probably has a lot to do with how far my couch is from the TV to be honest. The amount of 'good' angle I have with the wiimote is exceedingly small.

Ah, that must suck. Mine is right in front of the TV and not too close from it, so I usually don't have any problems.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
First off, Prime 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, and Prime 2 one of my most reviled. So this game has a lot of expectations to live up to, personally.

And I did like what I played of the game when I rented it. However, my biggest complaint is that my arm gets tired of aiming 100% of the time throughout the game. I'm no puny weakling or anything, but the game pretty much forces you to hold your arm prone in the air for several hours. The game also makes you pull the trigger-button on the back of the Wiimote rapidly WHILE your arm is experiencing joint separation. That's just painful.

After one session, I was able to put my arm down finally and... *CRACK*. "What was that?" My fiancee asked from the adjacent room. "Uhh... my... shoulder, I think." This game is HARDCORE. :ganishka:

I'm not the kind of guy that complains about controls, either. But this was a huge setback to me, and I never quite mastered using the grappling hook ("You put your left arm in, and you shake it all about. That's what it's all about." )

On a lighter side, it may seem (stress on seem here) a moot point in light of all the high-def games these days, but Prime 3 is simply gorgeous. All the naysayers about the Wii's graphical capabilities need to turn their heads in its direction. The design of everything in the game, down to the small details of each environment, are all highly polished and have realistic little flaws in them that give them their own solidity in the game. That was the most striking part of the game to me.

Anyway, because of Aaz's high praise, I'll eventually pick this up and give it a proper play through.

I've never played MP1 or 2, so I thought my opinion was biased, but after reading (and agreeing completely) with your posts I guess I wasn't.
The game controls are great and immersive (I just missed a quick turn back) and the graphics and sounds are just gorgeous.

Still doesn't beat Super Metroid though....... :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
brinco said:
I've never played MP1 or 2

You know, you probably should do that now. After MP3 the GC controls will probably feel clunky, but they're good and the games are awesome. The first Metroid Prime in particular is really great.

brinco said:
Still doesn't beast Super Metroid though....... :guts:

These days I'm playing... Metroid, on the Virtual Console. :badbone:

Top Bottom