Episode 289

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
The battle is over already tho?

Hahaha yeah, those sorry pirates couldn't even reach the Sea Horse, a real shame. :guts: Too bad we didn't get to see any boarding, maybe next time. Though it's not like those guys would have been a challenge anyway.

Walter said:
I'm also seeing a parallel between the armor and those thorny, binding chains sticking into him. Anybody else?

Hmm, I don't know, the armor doesn't really bind it, quite the contrary in fact.

CnC said:
I think that just might happen (figuratively speaking). Who'd want to be trapped on a boat with THAT thing :beast:
Come to think of it, here I thought the pirates would cause all these problems during the voyage (which maybe they still might, but I doubt it). Perhaps The Beast might be the biggest danger though. Given the last 3 pages it certainly gives me that feeling. Maybe Guts will cave in temporarily and 'The Beast' will slaughter some of the crew. IDK, just lettin' my imagination run wild. I'll stop. (Ok, one more thought: Daiba! THAT is gonna be the big naval battle during the voyage. Last time we saw him, he was on a boat with all those Daka and his pterodactyl pet. Yea...Daiba's gotta make another appearance. At least I hope so.)

But you know something is going to come up to put further strain on Guts and Co.

On another note, that Pirate 'Boss' really likes chewing on his crew. :schierke: Fracken' weirdo.

Thanks for the scans. That battle was pretty fast....too fast, what happened to the "slow" pace of the story? I wanted my 10 episode battle!!! :troll:

Sick episode. Thanks for the scans!

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's possible Mag. is trying to cop a feel of Casca on page 14? :carcus:

Oh, I also wanted to say Hi. Been a long time fan of the site, and thought I should join up.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, yeah, this went from a good episode with not too long of a pirate foray to something possibly groundbreaking. As has been said, that Beast looks bigger and badder than ever, and it's "breaking free" while Guts isn't even in the armor (must be the sounds of war waking it =). Assuming Guts doesn't just wake up and snap out of it, what's he going to look like with this going on in his head, particularly if the Beast is running the show (maybe he'll be like John Travolta in Face/Off, though, somehow, I think even more unpleasant =)?

Also, I buy the parallel of the armor's thorns and the chains, but in the sense that they further bind Guts to the Beast, while at the same time empowering the Beast individually from Guts.

Essentially, he's losing; should have listened to Skull Knight before you lost the light, Guts. :SK: :beast:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith No More! said:
Essentially, he's losing; should have listened to Skull Knight before you lost the light, Guts. :SK: :beast:

Unfortunately, it's a lose-lose situation.  If he hadn't used the armor, he (and everyone else in the group) would've probably been killed by now.  Eventually he'll overcome it, maybe even through sheer willpower.  He almost has to, being the hero of the story. :guts:

That was awesome! Those pirates were lucky they didn't manage to board the Sea Horse if Guts' furry friend awakens. Maybe he can restrain it easier now that the fight is over, though I doubt the problem will resolve itself with a good amount of bedrest and an iron will alone. It's ironic how they left for Elfhelm to cure and protect Caska, but it turns out Guts might be the one needing the most help. :chomp:

Really looking forward to the next episode, in just two weeks too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That Beast emoticon already looks dated thanks to its depiction in this episode; almost whimsically so. Maybe I should get to work on one that emotes: PURE, UNCHAINED CHAOS, or MADNESS ON THE CUSP OF FREEDOM.

Thanks for the episode Scanbot!

I agree with everyone who thinks the 2-page spread of the beast is fucking amazing. A fun episode ends highlighting Guts' darker side & makes me wonder how this is going to play out for the crew. Hope another battle doesn't come by soon or else Guts just might lose it (even if he's not wearing the armor).

Thanks for the scans, a short but intense battle followed by amazing shots of the Beast with promise of great things to come, what more can you ask?! Oh yeah, an awesome Sumo Puck :ganishka:

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Thanks for the episode scanbot.

Maybe it would help calm the beast if Farneze whispered sweet nothings into Guts' ear?

Oh! That poor dog needs to go out for a walk!

About the thorns,I think they also reflect pain.It is painful to keep the beast controlled,but it would be painful to release it (that is the job of that kind of hooks,bluntly speaking)

And thanks for the scans!

scroto

Mmm....You don't say?
Thanx for the scans!

Woot! Love that Sexxy two page beast spread! I don't know if he looks bigger though, He certainly seems on par with the size he looked like in Guts' head back in volume 23 when he bit Casca on the booby. But without a reference point I have no idea for sure...

But personally I like the Sumo Puck, and later Captain Puck images more! Too Awesome!

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Wow... Beastie's really chomping at the bit now, huh... that was rather unexpected. :beast:

Wonder if Guts's little depression spell gave puppy a bit of a power-up... :carcus:

Trying to decide what, if anything, the chains symbolize... my first thought was Guts's self-control/mental grip on himself... might even carry over to some sort of physical/astral type conflict inside of Guts *shrug*

Many thanks for the episode. :serpico:

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
I agree that Elfhelm will probably be more about dealing with the Beast once and for all, than just a Casca Memory arc.
The two will most likely intertwine.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
scroto said:
I don't know if he looks bigger though, He certainly seems on par with the size he looked like in Guts' head back in volume 23 when he bit Casca on the booby. But without a reference point I have no idea for sure...
Didn't see anyone here saying the beast looked larger in size, he just looks more... substantial and crazed than normal. Again, it's not as if the thing has a "normal" size, it just looks more dangerous in these shots.

Top Bottom