Episode 289

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
Damn...the Best looks horrifying - my first thought with the chains, actually, was that they looked just like the ones used to bind the incubator/apostle-mass used to create the Dakas. No possible connection, of course, and the design's pretty simple and functional. But still, first thought on seeing them. Fascinating how tightly Guts has to keep the Beast in check now that he's given it so much free reign recently. Everytime he tries to use it as a tool, it grows and becomes more unmanageable.

I think what really creeped me out, though was Shierke's mention that Guts' burns prevent him from sweating, thus making the fever worse. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about being burned that badly. :isidro:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think anyone would argue against what the chain imagery is: Guts' withering attempts to reign in the Beast. As for the chains used on the Apostle amalgamation that birthed the Daka, it occurred to Aaz too, but I personally think its just the kind of chains you'd use on beasts like this for purely practical reasons, like you said above.

While your first thoughts were the Daka thing, mine were the Armor's spikes sticking into the wearer to maintain the user's body. :SK: Still, even though I think both initial assumptions aren't really applicable, it's a damned cool image.

Anyway, before, I scoffed at the idea, but after this ep, Im wondering how on the edge of life Guts will
be by the time they get to the island.

AWESOME!!!!

OMG Lith where are you? If you can please colour page 16-17, gonna print out like poster :SK:

Damn, Guts is really become more and more supernatural :guts:

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I prefer Puck as the captain on page 13 myself. :)

And as far as coloring the two page spread, there isn't a lot of color to add to it besides maybe making the "eyes" red and coloring the chains. I think it looks pretty good in B&W.

Aazealh said:
In English, a dark horse originally meant a racehorse about which little was known but that could win unexpectedly, then the meaning was extended to be more general, to refer to political candidates for example.
Thanks Aaz,Also thanks for the episode.

Proj2501 said:
On another note, that Pirate 'Boss' really likes chewing on his crew. :schierke: Fracken' weirdo.
If the 'Boss' has beherit, this situation will be more reasonable.In fact, what he have done are all showing that he is an apostle more than a human. I respect for the crew's blood to begin the eclipse. :guts:Perhaps this also is the reason why Guts like that.

Griffith No More! said:
As has been said, that Beast looks bigger and badder than ever, and it's "breaking free" while Guts isn't even in the armor (must be the sounds of war waking it =). Assuming Guts doesn't just wake up and snap out of it, what's he going to look like with this going on in his head, particularly if the Beast is running the show (maybe he'll be like John Travolta in Face/Off, though, somehow, I think even more unpleasant =)?
This situation also happened in the past episode while Guts took Casca to walk in the snow and then bited her breast.What will happen this time?Poor Casca... :judo:

Walter said:
While your first thoughts were the Daka thing, mine were the Armor's spikes sticking into the wearer to maintain the user's body. :SK: Still, even though I think both initial assumptions aren't really applicable, it's a damned cool image.
I agree with your opinion Walter.Those are not chains which do actually not bind the beast's whole body but spikes sticking into the beast's body.And the part of spikes which sticking into the body are all with some big thorns,that's the reflection of the pain and subliminal projection.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Smith said:
OMG Lith where are you? If you can please colour page 16-17, gonna print out like poster :SK:

:ganishka: Well, like Kaz says it's a simple color, I'll see if I can whip something up for tonight.

Amazing episode, thanks, of course!! :guts: Poor, poor Guts. And poor pirate boss. :judo:

Tennyo_night_elf

Huh? What just happened?
Funkmasta Zeph said:
I agree that Elfhelm will probably be more about dealing with the Beast once and for all, than just a Casca Memory arc.
The two will most likely intertwine.

I have to agree with this myself. Maybe, just maybe, the pirate dude will be back but the whole beast thing will almost come to the forefront when the Elf king will come and perhaps stop or interrupt it somehow and pirate dude (? Dunno, that sounds odd).

Maybe when/if the beast gets out, they will be near the elf kingdom/island, and the beast will be controlled or Guts will be in control.

Would love the idea of Guts being able to not use the black armor and just rely on his beast if he can use it like he did when he fought :daiba:.

But the whole thing with Casca and the beast thing will be intertwined imo.

Anywho, thank you kindly for the scans. :casca:

I really enjoyed that ship battle. Seamanship worthy of Admiral Nelson. And I love that captain gnawing on his crewmembers.

But what of course really has my attention is the beast breaking free of its confinment inside Guts. I'm really split here. One side of me wants to see Guts go on a murderous rampage, but the other doesn't want to see his close allies get hurt (especially Casca).

I'm wondering if the beast is going to consume Guts in the next episode, or if it is something that is only gradually gaining control before it completely manifests Guts later on.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Graywords said:
Trying to decide what, if anything, the chains symbolize... my first thought was Guts's self-control/mental grip on himself...

Yeah, like Walter said I think it's pretty obvious. Guts is having this feverish dream (or nightmare, rather) and he's trying to keep the Beast in check.

Funkmasta Zeph said:
I agree that Elfhelm will probably be more about dealing with the Beast once and for all, than just a Casca Memory arc.
The two will most likely intertwine.

Of course, but then again we've known that for a long time. In fact, ever since Guts was wounded by Slan and started to lose it in volume 26.

Walter said:
Didn't see anyone here saying the beast looked larger in size, he just looks more... substantial and crazed than normal. Again, it's not as if the thing has a "normal" size, it just looks more dangerous in these shots.

I think the fact it's literally boxed up and in chains in there also plays a role in making it seem more dangerous than ever, you can feel it's enraged of being restrained.

mahlernut said:
I think what really creeped me out, though was Schierke's mention that Guts' burns prevent him from sweating, thus making the fever worse.

To be honest I was more impressed by the thought Miura put into the detail. Seriously, who else would think of something like this? :guts:

blueberserk said:
If the 'Boss' has beherit, this situation will be more reasonable.In fact, what he have done are all showing that he is an apostle more than a human.

He's just crazy, he's not an apostle.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
In preschool this one girl bit me on the arm, and I didn't suspect it then, but I think she must have been an APOSTLE! :isidro:

I wonder if Skullknight went through what Guts is going through now...and if his current state was a result of dealing with something similar to the beast becoming more dominant. I don't think it was just his dying in the armor, after Flora mentioned to Skully that they (Guts + Schierke) may not make the same 'choice.'

In other words, will the resolution to Guts' dilemma, should he keep the armor, involve becoming something like Skullknight? I don't Miura would do that, for a variety of reasons...but I didn't think the armor was going to affect him so significantly so quickly. I can't wait to see what will happen at Elfhelm.

Aazealh said:
To be honest I was more impressed by the thought Miura put into the detail. Seriously, who else would think of something like this? :guts:

In the Kenshin manga any there was a main villian in there that had burns like this and couldn't sweat. It was taken to a ridiculous extreme though, as the guy in that manga eventually combusted from not being able to sweat. I doubt we have to worry about Guts going up in flames.

I'm kind of surprised at how the sea voyage is going so far. I thought it would be a period of recuperation for Guts, but even with all the rest he's still deteriorating mentally and physically. I guess he finally trashed his body one time too many.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
looks like the beast doesn't like the way he has been being suppressed lately, from guts' own will or assistance from schierke either way its not liking it and its mad

P

Pencil-smith

Thanks for the scans!
I didn't read the forum the past few days because I had a shitload of work.
And now that I visit, there's a brand new episode waiting for me. Friggin SWEET. :guts:

+ Naval battle
+ Sumo Puck and Caska chasing vermin
++ Hornblower Puck :puck:
- No boarding action. Ah well, we got very nice stuff instead.
++ Beastie is getting scary as hell.

mike.william said:
In the Kenshin manga there was a main villain that had burns like this and couldn't sweat.
Yeah. Shishio was one badass bad guy. All evil for a good reason, unlike that egotistic Griffith. :troll:

Thanks for the scans, too !

Seeing the beast chained I remembered when Spawn tried once to take away his simbio outfit, they needed to hold it with hooks and chains too. Could this point to Gatts being addicted to the armor ?
(I´m not saying Berserk = Spawn, please. It´s just somethig that crossed my mind).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
tokken_brz said:
Could this point to Guts being addicted to the armor ?

I don't think so, the Beast of Darkness and the Berserk's armor are two different things. What's happening in this episode is purely mental.

Always great to see the beast!

Other anime try to do it too(Bleach,Naruto etc) but they come off as kinda cheesy. Berserk has exceptional execution of idea's, and that is why its #1 for me.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
I saw page 5, thought "Zombie Pirate Battle!" And nearly fell out of my chair from laughing.
So, on top of countless epic moments, Miura throws in a Navel Battle on the high-Seas . . . The next jag-off who parrots the line that "Berserk isn't going anywhere." Walks the Plank!
Then there's the Beast, what immediately occurred to my mind is that it's frustrated . . . Maybe not so much over possibly having seen Griffith but at Guts' current condition and at Guts for being susceptible to it . . . Okay, not frustrated, enraged. Both Guts and The Beast hate feeling vulnerable and powerless and that was hammered home hard after he failed to catch Casca when she fell over-board. Reasoning and moderation are not The Beasts' strong points. So to take that even further: The hooked chains are the very good reasons why it can't be unleashed at the moment, to The Beast, they are little more then galling nuisances. We've seen that before.
Finally, I don't think that Guts is going to go on a rampage that would make Cabin Fever look tame (As haunting as an image of him being the last person on the ship as it beaches itself on the shores of Elfhelm is). What comes to my mind is that his feelings are going to need an outlet . . . Come on Guts, time to spill your namesake!

Cheers. I couldn't help but skim through before the translation was ready.

What the fuck is causing Guts to have the beast unleashed in such an unpredictable time? No interferences from the Astral world, no Armour, no reason to be currently pissed.
I also can't help but suspect it is a side effect from the Armour's use. Can't think of what else it could be.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
What the fuck is causing Guts to have the beast unleashed in such an unpredictable time? No interferences from the Astral world, no Armour, no reason to be currently pissed.

Well, why did the Beast of Darkness appear in volume 16? Why did Guts lose it in volume 23? I don't think the current situation is because of the armor personally, it's just his dark feelings eating at him. The fact he's physically vulnerable right now favors it as well, he can't keep a clear mind, hence his rather troubled dreams. Maybe we'll see him confront the Beast in his subconscious in the next episode?

Top Bottom