Current Episodes

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Current Episodes Thread

slan69 said:
Awww I don't want Sekishusai to die he was a nice old man :judo:

Yeah, and still quite the card from what we see, I really appreciate his last line about how he wants to die and Hyogo's reaction. Speaking of, if the worst comes to be and Sekishusai has passed by the time Musashi reaches them, if he even decides to go still, hopefully he can still properly introduce himself to Hyogo finally.

Oh, and Slan, no need to spoiler tag in new episode threads unless it's the initial summary. It's buyer beware in here.

slan69 said:
Hmmmm I wonder what Musashi is talking about when he said this might be the end already, could he perhaps be talking about the fact that he cannot walk properly anymore so even he cannot try and become unrivaled under heaven like Yagyu Sekishusai. What are your guys thought's about this ?

First, I'm not sure Musashi's speaking there, I think it's likely Ittosai, though it's confusing, particularly the top of page 19 where it says something like, "unrivaled under the heavens" "he takes it to the extreme." In the context of everything else on the page, I'm not sure if that's Ittosai talking about Yagyu or Yagyu talking about Ittosai. Anyway, as for what it means, I think Ito is just being fatalistic about the state of the sword and where it's headed after his encounter with Yagyu. I also think he's referring to his encounter with Musashi now, as in, this might be the end for one or both of them, and as we saw in his conversation with Yagyu, Ittosai certainly sees himself as one, if not the one, on top, and he recognizes Musashi is right up there with him.

Th3Branded0ne said:
I"m not going to say I called it, but I kinda was in the area.
宮本 グリフィス said:
On the Sekishisai front, I wonder if Ito might also reveal something there about Yagyu

I'll say the same. :guts:

Th3Branded0ne said:
This episode was nice! I Like what Musashi said to Ittosai. "Are you the real one, you're still alive too?" :ganishka:

Haha, yeah, that was great, poor Ittosai, he's not the type that ages gracefully. What's funny is that's almost the exact same thing Gonnosuke said to him when he found out who he was, "You're still alive!?"

Th3Branded0ne said:
I like the chat Itto and Yagyu had. Yagyu rocks! So, if this is the end of the "unrivaled under heaven", is it also the birth of another "unrivaled under heaven"?

Their chat was easily the highlight, and as for the end of Yagyu, it's hard say what Ito really meant when he said Yagyu was dead already, if he was being literal and the old man has passed since their encounter, if he's merely lying to goad Musashi into a fight, or if he's referring to Yagyu's old age, retirement, and illness. After all, Yagyu might be dead to Ittosai because Ittosai wanted to fight him, while Musashi wants to engage his mind.

Th3Branded0ne said:
Remember in the last page in 276 Itto asked Musashi if he was setting off to Yagyu. I am guesssing in 277 Itto talks about what is Musashi trying to accomplish by going there. Then, we get that flashback of Itto at the Yagyu and explaining to Musashi what he accomplished by having that meeting with Sekishusai. Since the breaks is coming, I"m thinking Inoue will end it with Musashi finally arriving and meeting with Sekishusai and Hyogo.

I don't know about that, it'd be quite a jump from where we are now, not implausible, but not my expectation with the outcome of this Ito encounter still in front of us. I don't want Inoue to cut/sell this short.

Griffith: yo
38 hours away from the finish of volume 31!

Walter: ?
278 is the final chapter, you mean?

Griffith: Yep

Walter: pretty sure itll be Wed. ?

Griffith: Well, last week it come in just around 2am here.
Tuesday night/wed morning.

Walter: ah
i have to say, I didnt quite GET 277

Walter: "How boring..."

Griffith: Not the first time Ito's expressed that.
One of the first thing he says to Kojiro on their journey is, "Don't go too fast, or you'll get bored."
He's talking about the world in general.

Walter: i guess i didnt quite see what he took away from his encounter with Yagyu.

Griffith: I mean, he was literally crying about how lonely he was in his 20's, just before humiliating his own master.

Walter: It went over my head.

Griffith: Yeah, I'm not quite sure either.
But, I don't think he felt defeated, just... flummoxed.
More like Yagyu defeated the sword in general.

Walter: "is that all there is"

Griffith: Or at least the way Ito sees it.
I don't think Musashi would feel the same way.

Walter: also, potentially the biggest revelation here...
Yagyu is ... dead?
Are we to believe that?

Griffith: Again, not sure.
Ito =)
Ito-fukker
Could be lying, could be saying he's dead as far as fighting goes, or maybe he just died shortly thereafter and Ito heard of it.
I think Musashi will understand what he means though.
I don't think it's too far off from Musashi's own revelation.
The heat haze.

Walter: wtf with Yagyu's line...

Griffith: Ito's at the point in the RPG when he's at lvl 99, has beat the boss, has all the items, and is just wandering around aimlessly now on his final save file. =)

Walter: "But thatd be the case even if you were a giant bear, or something ..."
surely theres a better translation =)
Or something

Griffith: haha
I like that one though.
Count our blessings.
"Or... SLOGG!"
Ito: "!?"
I thought it put things in perfect perspective, especially since Ito had no interest in what Yagyu was saying otherwise.
He was being totally serious, but I like to think it was also Yagyu's way of yawning and rolling his eyes at Ito. =)

Walter: or is it, youre no better than a savage?
just a mindless animal?

Griffith: Could be that too, in any case, Ito was being asinine.

Walter: well, it still seems unclear to me.
cant say i learned anything as a result.
havent been this confused since I thought Mushi had a cold.

Griffith: Hmmm, well, i'm not sure what else there is to understand, in sports parlance, "it is what it is"
I found it wholly satisfying, even if we've yet to fully see what Ito took away.
For instance, like I said, I don't think he felt defeated, but certainly frustrated, but I can't tell if it's from admiration or disappointment or both.

Walter: im a little disappointed, but the encounter isnt over yet.
3:45 PM also, its a foregone conclusion that Ito is lacking an arm.
draws with his left hand. dead giveaway.

Griffith: Really, YOUR disappointed?
I was talking about Ito.

Walter: oh i know
i was transitioning

Griffith: I thought it was much better than we initially thought.

Walter: i expected their talk to be a little more substantial.
or at least comprehensible. i think the translation may be getting in the way of a cool moment.

Griffith: Oh, it was still cool to me.
I think you want something from Ito he doesn't have to offer.
Not in that setting.
We'll get his best with Musashi though maybe.
It's the same reason a sit down with Void and Skully wouldn't be interesting in practice, Skully would just try to cut Void's brain in half. =)

Walter: admittedly, my expectations were unrealistically high. but i still feel that I'm just missing some crucial aspect of their talk.

Griffith: I think it's the simplicity you're missing, or not appreciating.
Who knows though, maybe Viz will reveal Yagyu was talking about Ito's spirit animal or something.

Walter: lol
"I'm a ... bear?!"
Shoda: "No..!"
it took me that long to find Shoda's name, which I keep forgetting...
ruined the comedic timing.
like a prolonged DC response.

Griffith: Come to think of it, Yagyu practically calls every other person he meets a bear. =)

Walter: Ito: "I thought... I was a Tiger..?"

Griffith: Anyway, I thought it was pretty perfect.
I wouldn't think anyting "more", as in, philo babble, would have gotten to Ito any better.
As we saw already.
YAWN

Walter: like I said, I still dont understand what was said, the significance of it.

Griffith: That his being able to kill Yagyu at this stage didn't mean anything.
It was just silly for him to even try to contest him.
Basically, "What would that prove?"
Or more generally, and full circle to what he was trying to tell Ito before, "What's the point?" which is what Musashi is questioning, and which I think is now vexing Ito.

Walter: ah, well... i think there's still somethng that hasnt been stated outright yet. for example
Ito hasnt acknowledged that superior presence of Yagyu, exhibited when he mentions the bear.
basically, Ito believes he and Yagyu are the top two in the world.
but either he's seen there's more to do, but its nothing to do with the sword and he's not interested, or he's seen that Yagyu has gone far beyond him.

Griffith: Or maybe just that it's too late to find out.
Plus, as we saw with Yoshioka, their way of life is going out of style anyway.

Walter: and before that, in vol 18, with the gun incident.
a more Ito-specific moment.
yeah that would make more sense, regarding "the end' he refers to.
id say it's definitely it. good call.
See, this episode makes little sense without reasoning it out =)
Dont know whether to blame Inoue, the translator, or my own denseness.

Griffith: I don't know, I think you're just too much in the clouds on it.
You're feeling dense because you're looking for a grander meaning that may not be there, at least not something of... on the level of some enlightenment.

Walter: Ito's response, that wide-eyed stare, is what's making me look harder.
It's something that took him by surprise.
But Im just not seeing it.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

http://www.itplanning.co.jp/vaga.html

vol.gif

278a.gif

278b.gif

Or 心なし and 一刀 Akira comes out to brush of barrel, early
That dark CARA is consumed the brush.

Well this episode of 31 volume, will be time following preparations for a while.
Please please.

It is now doing the retouch fixes.

31 Volume we scheduled September release.We are aiming at hit serial resume also.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

:mushihuh:

Interesting sketches, a lot of dialogue to be sure, Ito looks at least mischievous if not ill-intentioned, Musashi looks taken aback, there's a few places where it even potentially looks like there could be some scuffling about, good natured or otherwise. The bottom left of the second looks the most like it could be serious action, then again, it could be anything from that to something amusing.

It's as elusive as ever. :mushiugh:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

It could be either way as you pointed out. I'm just going to say that Itto and Mushi still talk about Yagyu for a bit and then Itto returns to his old self and does one of those unforgettable lines. :ganishka:

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

:mushigrin:

Yeah, in the middle left of the first sketch page it looks like something like that is going on. I wouldn't bet on it, but it kind of looks like Ito is elbowing Musashi, while saying something ribald no doubt. I wonder if Ito will rate Musashi a score, perhaps 9,999, "Only one way to go up, Musashi." :mushieyes:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

宮本 グリフィス said:

Yeah, in the middle left of the first sketch page it looks like something like that is going on. I wouldn't bet on it, but it kind of looks like Ito is elbowing Musashi, while saying something ribald no doubt. I wonder if Ito will rate Musashi a score, perhaps 9,999, "Only one way to go up, Musashi." :mushieyes:

With that elbowing you mention and also on the first page where Mushi seems surprised to me. Do you think Itto might also be inviting Musashi for some fun. I mean fun you know to go and get it on with some ladies. C'mon Mushi, relax yourself before having a chat with the old man.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Th3Branded0ne said:
With that elbowing you mention and also on the first page where Mushi seems surprised to me. Do you think Itto might also be inviting Musashi for some fun. I mean fun you know to go and get it on with some ladies. C'mon Mushi, relax yourself before having a chat with the old man.

Well, he already offered him some sake and... "play." :mushihuh:

Seriously though, I'm more interested in what Ito would say if he found out Musashi was such a pure soul. Probably shocked and/or appalled, "Musashi, you could die and you haven't lived!" :mushilaugh:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

WOW! We get the return of the circle,Ueda and the spiral :mushiguts: Oh,can't wait to read this conversation. Yagyu seems to be in pretty bad shape, but still alive :mushiguts:. Quite the ending for this episode. Will Itto enter the circle?
I laughed at this pic.
itto.jpg

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Th3Branded0ne said:
Will Itto enter the circle?

I definitely think he intends to. :mushigrin:

Anyway, very cool and unique episode from the standpoint of seeing such powerful "beasts" being unleashed on each other.

P.S. Why do some here abbreviate his last name "Itto" when his first name is Ito anyway? :mushihuh:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

宮本 グリフィス said:
P.S. Why do some here abbreviate his last name "Itto" when his first name is Ito anyway? :mushihuh:
I just use them conversely :guts:

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Walter: Wow.
that was awesome
Super Sloggo!
Itto Ittoslogg.
Sloggo Sloggosai

Griffith: They're going to SLOGG it out for sure, right?

Walter: Slogg nuff.

Griffith: I think Ito mocked Musashi's moment of hesitation. =)
Well, it seems clear he did, I just wonder how much.
Then again, it could mean anything.

Walter: he could have a cold too

Griffith: Yeah.
Wheezing.
Ito: rolleyes "Oh no, you're not on this enlightened warrior crap too, are you?"

Walter: Sloggo, I choose you.

Griffith: Face/Off: "Plan B, let's just kill each other."

Walter: ughhh!
What's with Sekishusai?

Griffith: Looks like his... final move? =)

Walter: =(

Griffith: Well, hopefully not.
The indirect message was he felt a disturbance in Musashi's force.
Maybe now that Mushi has returned to the way of the circle, he recovered.

Walter: i think that one shot of Otsu is very foreboding.

Griffith: Yeah
Final thought

Walter: but Mushi's ears snap when it happens too.
bad wording, but you know what i mean

Griffith: yeah
To me it was very symbiotic all around.
Individual occurrences, but all related.

Walter: page 9: ...Otsu. Otsu
Welcome home Otsu.
Okaeri can mean both Welcome Home or Return.
Poor guy =(

Griffith: That's good then.
He's hanging on for her.

Walter: his hat fell off
or he took it off, cant tell

Griffith: It seems placed on the floor in front of him.
Ueda looks concerned too. =)

Walter: yeah, but i couldn’t tell if it's in his hand or not. whether he took it off or it fell when he slouched.
doesn’t REALLY matter, just wondering

Griffith: Well, when I say placed, I mean it doesn't seem like it's just randomly fallen.
It seems laid out flat.

Walter: ah

Griffith: Maybe he's reaching for it and has a bad spell.

Walter: Stupid question: Why would Ittosai lie?

Griffith: Maybe he wasn't lying.
From a certain point of view. =)
Either way, I think he wanted to get under Musashi's skin.

Walter: ahh, i didnt get it until now
Sekishusai leans over, mumbles about Otsu, there's that shot of Otsu, then Mushi's ear perks up. He asks Ittosai if he heard anything. Everyone looks at him like he's crazy. Itto even jokes "Pweeeeeee"
reminiscent of the Yagyu battle.

Griffith: Ahh
Very interesting...
Once again, the difference between a Musashi or a Yagyu and an Ittosai.
Which begs the question... will Kojiro “hear” it? =)
I bet he will.
Or maybe he can't either and that's why Musashi will win, I don't know.

Walter: Jiaiiiiiii

Th3Branded0ne said:
I laughed at this pic.
itto.jpg

I'd like to think it's Ito taking the opportunity to practice his bird calls.:mushigrin:

Walter said:
I just use them conversely :mushiguts:

It works as kind of clever combination/shorthand, still, it's like if I went by David Davidson and you called me Davids... wait, that's an even more clever shorthand, damn it! Anyway, Den does not approve. :den:

Well, Musashi wonders if Ittosai might be more ARMed and dangerous than he lets on, and that's after Musashi already acknowledges him to be someone beyond his comprehension. It's pretty clear the parallel between these two, and of course, the ET/Elliot-like symbiosis going on between Yagyu and Musashi, and as Ueda alludes to, for Musashi, these two greats represent a choice between light or darkness.
:mushiclosed: :mushieyes:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

Great chapter. It was alluded to before, but seeing Ittosai's own inner demon (better term for this?) confirmed that he and Musashi traveled along the same path for a while. Of course, as Ueda already asks, the question now is which path Musashi is on.

After seeing Ittosai's demon, I wondered about what we saw in vol 11 -- Sekishusai's projection that Musashi sees, that scares him into backing off his assassination attempt. Could that have been his form, only with a more benevolent nature? Or am I thinking too hard about this? :mushigrin:

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Walter said:
Great chapter. It was alluded to before, but seeing Ittosai's own inner demon (better term for this?) confirmed that he and Musashi traveled along the same path for a while.

I wouldn't be so quick to define it that way, since we even saw Takuan's "inner demon" or whatever it represents. Then again, perhaps as Yagyu says, all are one? :mushigrin:

Walter said:
Of course, as Ueda already asks, the question now is which path Musashi is on.

Yeah, Musashi clearly has both in him, and it's a matter of which one he chooses to become, or how much.

Walter said:
After seeing Ittosai's demon, I wondered about what we saw in vol 11 -- Sekishusai's projection that Musashi sees, that scares him into backing off his assassination attempt. Could that have been his form, only with a more benevolent nature? Or am I thinking too hard about this? :mushigrin:

I wouldn't go that far either, since the demon is both a new thing and something that seems diametrically opposed to the school of thought Yagyu champions. The farthest I'll go is to say the demon, by itself, is probably not a good thing despite Ittosai and Musashi's awe of each other's.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

Walter said:
Great chapter. It was alluded to before, but seeing Ittosai's own inner demon (better term for this?) confirmed that he and Musashi traveled along the same path for a while. Of course, as Ueda already asks, the question now is which path Musashi is on.
Yeah, Ittossai and Musashi seem to have been in the same road. Now it seems Mushi is starting to find a new road for himself in a way. I think Musashi is getting closer to the light, but still not quite there yet. Remember before he would just try to find the strongest to fight. Now that a great one is in front of him, he has at least given him the chance to enter the circle or just leave.

Walter said:

I would even say that it's even a playful form of Yagyu still with that absolute greatness of his. Since he thought it was Hyougonosuke and he asks, "How is he going to counter that attack".

I'm saying Ittosai teases Musashi going into the circle, but at the same time, Musashi exposes that right arm that has been hiding. We'll find out, but that's just my take on it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

宮本 グリフィス said:
I wouldn't go that far either, since the demon is both a new thing and something that seems diametrically opposed to the school of thought Yagyu champions. The farthest I'll go is to say the demon, by itself, is probably not a good thing despite Ittosai and Musashi's awe of each other's.
I don't think it's a new thing at all. We see a facet of it in volume 3 (i'll grab the page and chapter number when I get home), and again through Musashi's wood carvings in vol 9 and again in 21 and 22. But when we see it later, during the Yoshioka 70-man battle, it's become something with its own personality, sort of.

I think i'll just call it his projection. And I don't think it always has to be evil or violent. It could be related to what In'ei senses in Musashi before his fight with Inshun. Mushi's violent projection.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Th3Branded0ne said:
Yeah, Ittossai and Musashi seem to have been in the same road. Now it seems Mushi is starting to find a new road for himself in a way. I think Musashi is getting closer to the light, but still not quite there yet. Remember before he would just try to find the strongest to fight. Now that a great one is in front of him, he has at least given him the chance to enter the circle or just leave.

Well, they have both expressed a frustration with their way that Yagyu obviously doesn't suffer from. Ittosai describes it as a type of boredom, and Musashi has his heat haze metaphor. About the circle, it seems Musashi, or at least Mr. Sloggo, has betrayed his good intentions in this case with the thought, "He'll have to come..." Musashi does repeat his mantra of, "if you're going to leave, leave..." before the realization about Ito's arm, and then even asks him if he's going to leave. I wonder if Ittosai has already seen through this and is going to turn it back on Musashi by not entering the circle, but not leaving either.

Th3Branded0ne said:
I would even say that it's even a playful form of Yagyu still with that absolute greatness of his. Since he thought it was Hyougonosuke and he asks, "How is he going to counter that attack".

Yeah, I don't think there was a demon form of him calling Hyogo a bastard. =)

Th3Branded0ne said:
I'm saying Ittosai teases Musashi going into the circle, but at the same time, Musashi exposes that right arm that has been hiding. We'll find out, but that's just my take on it.

Ittosai certainly has a knowing look by the end, I wonder what he sees, or if he's just enjoying the moment. Perhaps he's reading Musashi reading him, as Kohei did in their second match.

Walter said:
I don't think it's a new thing at all. We see a facet of it in volume 3 (i'll grab the page and chapter number when I get home), and again through Musashi's wood carvings in vol 9 and again in 21 and 22. But when we see it later, during the Yoshioka 70-man battle, it's become something with its own personality, sort of.

I mean it's a new device or representation, which makes it even trickier to start trying to apply it to past situations, especially when there's already doubt as to how it applies, if at all, to a particular character. I think there's already been a distinction between that kind of aggressive or bloodthirsty aura and something else, a confidence, that's stronger and will even reflect it back. As we saw in the Yagyu situation.

Walter said:
I think i'll just call it his projection. And I don't think it always has to be evil or violent.

Well, this one does so far, that's why I maintain we shouldn't lose sight of the distinction.

Walter said:
It could be related to what In'ei senses in Musashi before his fight with Inshun. Mushi's violent projection.

It likely could be, but I don't think we particularly need to define it by what we're seeing here. It's interesting to compare though.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

Vagabond's Back! Just thought I share the pics, but I already read 279. I won't spoil anything, but now I know why Inoue talked about Ittosai messing his brushes.

279a.gif

279b.gif

Current Episodes Thread

Well this is definitely a treat for me. I have something else to look forward to now instead of just waiting for the next Berserk chapter to come out. Thanks for letting is know Branded0ne. :casca:

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Awesome! I had kind of gone into Vagabond hibernation because I wasn't really expecting it back so soon... and damn, what a return!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

I lol'd at the double circle. :ganishka:

What a return indeed. The chapter had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

And yeah, what else needs to be said.
"Ji-san" has joined the audience!

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Walter said:
"Ji-san" has joined the audience!

A box seat!

Anyway, the shit talking is certainly heating up. I wonder how Musashi will respond to Ittosai's latest barb (which answers one of our earlier questions =). He could agree and say that's the point, or perhaps Musashi will start in about Ito's arm. Nothing would shock me at this point, from Musashi drawing two swords to refusing to draw either.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

Yeah, pretty nice episode. As you pointed out. Some questions where answered there with Ittosai's talk. It really shows to this point to me that he's more in the light now, than in the darkness as Ueda pointed out.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Th3Branded0ne said:
It really shows to this point to me that he's more in the light now, than in the darkness as Ueda pointed out.

Yeah, but Ittosai is doing all he can to bring him back to the dark side, almost...

darkside.jpg

:mushieyes:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

This may make me sound like a doofus, but the biggest things revealed by the translation that I didn't catch from the original reading was that
Yagyu really is dead... Only Mushi sees his figure.
:sad:

Also, 0 points :ganishka:

Top Bottom