Current Episodes

Current Episodes Thread

Walter said:
This may make me sound like a doofus, but the biggest things revealed by the translation that I didn't catch from the original reading was that
Yagyu really is dead... Only Mushi sees his figure.
:sad:

You aren't the only one that didn't catch that. I think this has got to be the sadest thing that has happened in Vagabond IMO. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

slan69 said:
You aren't the only one that didn't catch that. I think this has got to be the sadest thing that has happened in Vagabond IMO. :judo:
Well, there's always a chance that he'll awake from the coma. I imagine a certain pretty girl might have that effect on him :casca:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

Walter said:
This may make me sound like a doofus, but the biggest things revealed by the translation that I didn't catch from the original reading was that

Also, 0 points :ganishka:

OH no problem sometimes we all missed some stuff. As you said Otsu might do the miracle by playing the flute. I didn't point it out earlier either, but after JOtaro's urination problems. That's a memory of Musashi of people talking about Ittosai right? I guess he thought himself then that it would be great to meet such a man and now he has him in front of him.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

Th3Branded0ne said:
That's a memory of Musashi of people talking about Ittosai right? I guess he thought himself then that it would be great to meet such a man and now he has him in front of him.
"Aspirations ... they were resurrected on that day." I'd say so, yeah.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Current Episodes Thread

Yeah, I assume that was Mushi flashback as well, something that inspired to... get into petty scuffles at Inn's, "Some day, that'll be me and Ittosai!" :mushigrin:

Walter said:

The translation gave me the opposite feeling with Yagyu, like, now there's actually a chance he could recover, for a moment at least. Before they mentioned the coma, I assumed his presence at the battle meant he was passed on already. Let's say Otsu can work her magic on him, what effect will that have on Musashi?

Walter said:
Also, 0 points :ganishka:

Yeah, that certainly affected him. :mushieyes:

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

vol.gif

280a.gif

280b.gif

Round 2 〆 couple of days off last-minute nap is only 42 years old is truly a middle-aged father
Looks like we need more time to meet and see the recovery of strength
What is quite rare and has been active in the same age athletes that you mention it
Oh if nobody in the NBA, Mutombo had
Kaz is a great King ~

Takehiko Inoue

Haha, Inoue makes a Dikembe Mutumbo reference! :mushilaugh:

Oh my, Ittosai! :mushiooh:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

Nice woodwork by Musashi, no wonder he was so good when he was older. Yagyu is getting the blimp view now :ganishka: . Eventhough, I see Ittosai moving into the circle I don't see either one drawing their swords eventhough it looks that way, I just got that vibe from it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

Ito definitely drew ... something. The biggest thing in this chapter to me was the revelation that Ittosai meant this much to Musashi as a child. He'd come back and tell his wooden carving of his childhood hero all his exploits and adventures.

Another thing I was thinking about while reading this chapter. Throughout the series we've been given this amorphous look at Musashi's dark side. His beast, so to speak. In vol 21, we see Musashi's carving of what he calls a buddha, but looks like a demon. Well, in this episode, we've seen the wood carving features implemented into this demonic presence we've seen so often recently. And furthermore, that wooden demon-face imposed over Ittosai's.

One funny parallel I noticed while re-reading through volume 9 this morning:

yagyu-watching.jpg
yagyu-watching2.jpg

The text at the end of the previous chapter says "The heavens won't be laughing! :mushismile: "​

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Walter: page 2, "Shinmen Takezou and ... (sword master, i think) Ittousai"
Griffith: oooh
Walter: wow what a cliffhanger
i wonder if he actually drew though
but turns out he was faking with he arm all along
Griffith: Or he has no fingers haha
Walter: seriously... wtf with Jisan
even the clouds look crazy
like a Mario level
Griffith: Yeah, what a distraction.
Musashi's trying to impress the half dead guy instead of worrying about the one in front of him.
Walter: ah, it looks like Ittousai uses his right arm on page 14
Griffith: Is that the page where he kills Musashi?
I’m not sure that's reliable. =)
Walter: pretty much
Griffith: Yeah, that ending.
Walter: The End
Griffith: I've been checking one manga every couple of hours.
I want to know what Musashi said to set him off.
Walter: hehehe
ive got no idea. too complex for my simple skills
Griffith: Ittosai has the right answer, "Oh yeah? Well, I'm right because I'll cut off your face."
Walter: Mushi's sword arm isn't in an attack position either, so I dont think its going to be a "mushi sliced him before he could reach him" thing.
Griffith: Yeah, he's pretty well fucked unless he falls or Ittosai is just messing with him.
Walter: im betting on the latter.
hmm that font sure looks bloody though! =)
like: SPLUTCH
Griffith: Remember though, we shouldn't get too technical on who's in what position.
Don't forget Seijuro's death depiction.
Walter: yeah i was reminded of it too
Griffith: Happened 3 different ways.
Walter: man, what a weird chapter this was during its last half
Griffith: Musashi could have jumped back and run him through.
Yeah, i'm not sure what happened and what didn't.
Walter: after page 11 things just get insane
hahaha just noticed on page 17, Yagyu is watching from the clouds
didnt bother looking before
Griffith: Hahaha
Yeah, I loved that.
Walter: quite a cool revelation about Ittosai and Musashi though
that Musashi, as a child revered him to this extent. told him about all his childhood exploits
Griffith: It's funny, because I've always felt like they were kindred spirits. Ittosai was like an old wise Takezo. =)
It's strange how much Inoue has canonized that feeling.
Walter: yeah. i mean, they even have more or less the same hair
when tied back
its noteworthy I think that Inoue's changed Mushi's hair in recent issues
when was the last time it was tied back?
Griffith: It's been his style for the last couple of volumes.
Ever since 28.
Though there hair is different tied too.
Ito has it tighter around his head, and more of a puffy end to his top knot.
Like a mushroom.
It's the mario episode.
Walter: hahaha
Griffith: Super Jisano
He's got the cape.
Walter: his P bar is full
Here's a thought I had.
Maybe Musashi finally commented on the arm.
Called him a cripple too. =)
It makes sense looking at the panels.
Walter: im so confused... did the bottom of page 14 actually happen?
Griffith: You mean is Musashi's corpse being eaten by crows? =)
I'm going to say no haha
Walter: is that whats happening?
Griffith: I think that was Musashi considering attacking Ito.
With his leg.
That's why he slams it on the next page.
Walter: ah, well the pain he feels I think "unmasks" Ito for him too
Griffith: He had to use their own inertia to take out scrub swordsman, imagine if he tried something offensive on... the greatest.
I also think he was considering the arm.
Or he had a cold.
I can't tell.
Walter: hahahah
Ittosai is old, his immune system is weaker, so he must be more susceptible to colds.
maybe thats a factor
Griffith: One thing, Musashi isn't as helpless at the end as his expression makes him look, he had his hand on his sword and on the last page his elbow is back.
Not to get too technical
ha
But basically, Ittosai could be in as much trouble.
Depending on what the hell is going on...
Walter: i think the key thing here is that Musashi saw Ittosai's hand go for his sword before the guy even draws. which in Vagabond physics, means that by the next panel, Musashi can be fully prepared for an attack =)
still, would Ittosai MISS
I dont think so
Griffith: I’m still suspicious, we still don't actually see Ittosai's hand! =)
Walter: ah, yeah
yeah ahhaah
i see what COULD be happening here
Griffith: "If I still had my fingers, you'd be dead Musashi!"
Walter: i may be overanalyzing this, but his hand looks awfully small
Griffith: Still, would Ittosai fuck with Musashi? Maybe after his shameful philosophizing.
"I thought you were a good beast."
Walter: all this makes me want to go back through vol 15-17
re-read all the early Ittosai stuff
how he interacted with Jisai for instance
Griffith: Yeah, I did that at the start of this encounter.
All Ittosai review.
Great stuff.
We already know he'll fuck with anybody after the YAgyu incident.
BTW, were you a little pissed when Ito spit on his name? =)
Walter: just a bit
but i can understand.
Griffith: Yeah.
Walter: he's diametrically opposed to that way
Griffith: haha, yeah, "Overrated."
It extends to everything, they're whole way of life.
It's like Ito has been on Musashi’s one year pilgrimage his whole life, minus the abstraction.
Walter: i actually thought while reading this chapter whether Ittosai ever fought someone like Kohei
someone who made him change his pattern
because he seems deadset on his path the whole series
Griffith: Musashi hasn't mentioned it.
The spiral.
Walter: yeah thats true
wonder if he will

Whatever you do, do not patronize Ito Ittosai!
:mushiooh:

281 prediction: Musashi grabbed Ittosai's sword. "No sword."

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

281! To me on the first page second panel looks to me that Musashi did draw as well. You can tell Ittosai rushing towards Musashi on the first panel as well. The second page seems to be about Yagyu, I am going to guess they are mourning him now. We'll see.

281a.gif

281b.gif

Takehiko Inoue
Late night at work among the staff after the 2:03不惑to a stand and go out into the shop during the outbreak of pork noodles at two over a year now I is not impossible that I should not Mouson coming right!
スタッフたちの間で仕事中の深夜2時3時に豚骨ラーメン屋に繰り出すのが流行中
そして替え玉をする
不惑を過ぎて2年が経つ僕はさすがにもうそんな無茶はしないです
しないはず・・!

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Th3Branded0ne said:
281! To me on the first page second panel looks to me that Musashi did draw as well. You can tell Ittosai rushing towards Musashi on the first panel as well.

I can't tell if Musashi drew or not, but it looks like both of them are surprised by what transpired... it reminds me of another beast swordsmen encounter:

beastswordsmen.jpg

Anyway, I see nothing to make me deviate from my previous prediction, though that doesn't mean much since from what we've seen anything is still on the table, really.

Th3Branded0ne said:
The second page seems to be about Yagyu, I am going to guess they are mourning him now. We'll see.

Yeah, perhaps Otsu and Jotaro have finally arrived.

Holy shit! :mushiooh:

Well, one of my predictions was right anyway... the one that DIDN'T totally underestimate Ito sama! I was honestly shocked, I thought I expected just about anything, except Musashi dying of course, but there was something else I didn't expect anymore, for him to lose, to anyone. This throws parts of 279 into a new possible light, "Aspirations... they were resurrected on that day." Perhaps this will jolt Musashi out of his "heat haze," though it's always a dangerous game speculating without a translation. We'll see what he and Sekishusai had to say to one another.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

Oh this was just nice to see. No wonder Ittosai was hiding that arm. From Yagyu's smiling face at the end of the conversation with Musashi I think it's something good that they talked about, maybe saying "the heat haze is over" or something in there.

UPDATE: Read the translation. Ittosai's payment for the sake had me cracking up :ganishka: . Although there might be some true to what he said though. And what Sekishusai told him to "smile more" I was just thinking of doing a tread about how Musashi didn't really smile much.I think the only time I have seen him smile without being in a fight was when he bid farewell to Inshun.
OK, we get a break of 2 weeks and won't see Vagabond till Oct. 8th.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

OK, I have read 281 translation now. I just want to go into the technical aspect of the fight. As Ittosai is swinging his right arm in page 2-3 I think at that time is when Musashi draws his sword, then with the momentum of his right arm Ittosai uses his left arm to attack Musashi..

Griffith: I’m still suspicious, we still don't actually see Ittosai's hand! =)
Walter: ah, yeah
yeah ahhaah
i see what COULD be happening here
Griffith: "If I still had my fingers, you'd be dead Musashi!"

I only thought he was hiding it to be just crazy as Ittosai usually is. I don't know if you were guessing or not Griff, but you got it. :mushiguts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

Hmm, well we more or less called it this episode. I wonder if this is the end now for Jisan or whether he'll bounce back again in the following pages?

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Th3Branded0ne said:
OK, I have read 281 translation now. I just want to go into the technical aspect of the fight. As Ittosai is swinging his right arm in page 2-3 I think at that time is when Musashi draws his sword, then with the momentum of his right arm Ittosai uses his left arm to attack Musashi..

I only thought he was hiding it to be just crazy as Ittosai usually is. I don't know if you were guessing or not Griff, but you got it. :mushiguts:

Well, it was the only thing I got right. Anyway, brilliant attack by Ittosai, from the beginning the way he just kept Musashi in the dark. It's no wonder Musashi never heard of Ito being a disabled swordsmam: he might be the first man to find out and live to tell about it.

Griffith: Yo.
We more or less called it? Well, less in my case, I'm honestly shocked.
Walter: really?
Griffith: Oh yeah, it put me in a weird place even.
I'm re-evaluating my life. =)
Walter: a week of no internet will do that, but i wouldnt lay that on Mushi.
Griffith: Even when he was on the ground with hazy watery eyes, I was expecting him to grab a sword and attack somehow. =)
Just irrationally.
Walter: i didnt get that sense, but Im glad he didnt.
Griffith: "Say it ain't so, Musho?"
I feel embarassed for him.
And sorry for Ito too, like he was cheated. Dad truly disappointed.
Walter: yeah, im not sure what was gained from any party here, really.
other than Musashi showed restraint
Griffith: Well, maybe it'll knock some sense into him.
I was half hoping Yagyu would say something contrary like, "Well, you can't just let someone kick your ass like that."
BTW, Ito broke his record, 20,000 points now.
That was one of the coolest attacks in the series, strategically.
Walter: pretty awesome for the old man, yeah
Griffith: Yeah, had Musashi totally snowed.
Walter: i still dont see when Musashi got his slash in
he drew, clearly because its his sword that falls
but i suppose it was on page 02-03
Griffith: He was defending against Ittosai's sword that never was I think.
Leaving him totally open to the true attack.
Walter: "no sword." =)
Griffith: Yeah, Ito brand no sword. =)
Hurts a lot more!
Walter: whoa, the name of the episode
didnt see that til now
"A Great Man Falls"
Griffith: Oh wow, me neither.
Walter: btw, the scarring on Ittosai's hand
what do you make of it?
looks like a cut that he cauterized
Griffith: Or some kind of firearm wound. As for the title, I think it's literally referring to Musashi, but of course there's Yagyu too.
Walter: yeah, I thought Yagyu. but it has a double meaning.
Griffith: Ito is great, I'm coming to his side. =)
Walter: yeah, take me off this cloud ride.
Griffith: "Hahaha, I entered, you fell."
What an awesome asshole
Walter: "You lose."
Griffith: "Heads I win, tails you lose."
That's what disappoints me most, I don't buy the leg stuff with Musashi, it was his whole mindset.
Walter: reminded me of Hoop Dreams
Griffith: Ito is focused like a laser, like Musashi USED to be.
Walter: after William Gates gets that knee injury
he focuses on it so much he loses his edge
Griffith: Yeah.
I mean, he wasn't even ready for the attack, physicality aside.
Walter: admittedly, Mushi is no slouch. he just got bested by the best here.
Griffith: Yeah, it was a great episode.
Like I said, I'm shocked by it.
Walter: iiiiiim still not shocked,
Griffith: After Inshun, and with the way the series has been advancing, especially after the 70 man fight, I never expected Musashi to truly lose again.
If anything, I thought Musashi was made out to be TOO powerful until now.
Walter: he took his loss well.
a little TOO well
Griffith: Yeah, that bugged me too.
He just blamed his leg.
Walter: yeah page 14 felt pompous to me.
Griffith: Sorry Musashi, “you just… you just got bested!”
Walter: as if he COULD have won, but didnt unleash his inner slogg
Griffith: "I think I know who would have won."
Griffith: Yeah, if you'd actually fought.
Or been ready to.
I have another less douchey interpretation for him though
I don’t think Ittosai would have attacked Musashi if he’d simply yielded, but he was having it both ways, standing his ground while trying to blow Ito off with that lame not worthy excuse. Musashi couldn’t just say, “Those days are done for me.” Ito was right to a degree, that Musashi's philosophizing was a lie.

Th3Branded0ne said:
And what Sekishusai told him to "smile more" I was just thinking of doing a tread about how Musashi didn't really smile much.I think the only time I have seen him smile without being in a fight was when he bid farewell to Inshun.

That's the only time I can recall him bursting out in a friendly smile either, as displayed on volume 8.

Walter said:
I wonder if this is the end now for Jisan or whether he'll bounce back again in the following pages?

No telling, though his farewell to Musashi seemed pretty final, perhaps Mushi will be the one to awaken at the Yagyu though, and I'm more curious about what's next for him anyway.

Any ideas?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

宮本 グリフィス said:
No telling, though his farewell to Musashi seemed pretty final,
Sekishusai tells him "see you later." But maybe he means on the other side of the sky... I also got the feeling it was pretty final. It would cheapen the scene if they were to be high-fiving in a few episodes. Not that I wouldn't enjoy that :ganishka:

perhaps Mushi will be the one to awaken at the Yagyu though, and I'm more curious about what's next for him anyway.

Any ideas?
I imagine he'll have to answer to the authorities for his escape. Or not. Beyond that, he set on on this most recent journey to speak with Sekishusai, but already accomplished that goal. I imagine Edo is next in line according to the novel, but for what reason?

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Walter said:
Sekishusai tells him "see you later." But maybe he means on the other side of the sky... I also got the feeling it was pretty final. It would cheapen the scene if they were to be high-fiving in a few episodes. Not that I wouldn't enjoy that :mushilaugh:
Well, certainly if they were slapping-five it would cheapen things. :badbone:

Musashi shouldn't be high-fiving anyone right now though, he needs to get his groove back, and as I said, I'm hoping this will somewhat knock some sense into him. This is like another nail he stepped on, just as when he was unprepared to engage Baiken/Kohei, and now it's happened again and as he questioned himself then, I think he needs to wonder if he doesn't suffer from conceit, for he's STILL no Yagyu Sekishusai. On the bright side, wouldn't it be great to see Ito ghost mocking him from now on? Ito and Sekishusai can be like the angel and devil on his shoulder. =)

Walter said:
I imagine he'll have to answer to the authorities for his escape. Or not. Beyond that, he set on on this most recent journey to speak with Sekishusai, but already accomplished that goal. I imagine Edo is next in line according to the novel, but for what reason?

Well, I can imagine the Yagyu would protect Musashi if they in fact discover him, but for all we know, he's going to regain consciousness in the next episode and start following Ittosai. I know I'd like to see that, it would be interesting to see him speak with Yagyu again and review, but right now his unfinished business is with Ito Ittosai.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

slan69 said:
When I read what Otsu said at the last page my heart almost broke. :judo:

Yeah, I still really hope she's wrong and he's going to wake up and say, "Hello." :sad:
And wouldn't it be great if he actually awoke and sent men out to go help Musashi? :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Current Episodes Thread

宮本 グリフィス said:
And wouldn't it be great if he actually awoke and sent men out to go help Musashi? :SK:
Seconded. However, my problem with this is that we've been predicting Sekishusai's death for about 5 episodes now. I think it's finally that moment, people.

Griffith

Current Episodes Thread

Walter said:
Seconded. However, my problem with this is that we've been predicting Sekishusai's death for about 5 episodes now. I think it's finally that moment, people.

That's true, but it just goes to show our record for predicting this isn't very good, so no reason we should be right this time. After all, Yagyu says he hears a flute and has to go... it would make sense that he'd be going to the source of that music he's so desired to hear before he passes, at least for an encore.

"Oh, that's the flute I've been living just to listen to... well, I guess I'll just slip uneventfully into death now!"

Anyway, I hope it's a reason for holding on a little longer, rather than satisfaction for letting go. Also, that ending is the perfect setup for him to say, "Don't stop" to Otsu. I'm suspicious as I was with Ittosai's hand. :badbone:

Walter: "I wonder how Gonnosuke has matured since we last saw him."
if at all
Griffith: Well, I imagine he's going to have made SOMETHING of himself.
He's not supposed to be far below Musashi and Kojiro.
Unless Inoue decides to reduce him to super Matahatchi. =)
Walter: "It's almost a grudging acknowledgment of his celebrity just so he can exploit it,"
Yeah this is the key point the earlier guy missed
HE doesnt relish his status
Griffith: Yeah, he doesn't want to be recognized or anything.
Walter: is this the end of Sloggo btw?
since Musashi had an opportunity to use it and didnt give in.
Griffith: Hmmm
I don't think so.
Maybe though.
He said that him is invincible, but something is wrong, whether he means his leg... or something else.
Walter: yeah that vague exchange
so many pronouns and lack of direct subjects
like speaking with the other MIyamoto.
Shigeru Miyamoto
Griffith: Let me see what I wrote in conversations. =)
Walter: (he popularly doesnt use direct subjects in conversations)
"Hmmm that needs to go."
"Yeah it needs to be more..."
Griffith: Griffith: Yeah, that bugged me too.
He just blamed his leg.
Walter: yeah page 14 felt pompous to me.
Griffith: Sorry Musashi, “you just… you just got bested!”
Walter: as if he COULD have won, but didnt unleash his inner slogg
Griffith: "I think I know who would have won."
Griffith: Yeah, if you'd actually fought.
Or been ready to.
I have another less douchey interpretation for him though
I don’t think Ittosai would have attacked Musashi if he’d simply yielded, but he was having it both ways, standing his ground while trying to blow Ito off with that lame not worthy excuse. Musashi couldn’t just say, “Those days are done for me.” Ito was right to a degree, that Musashi's philosophizing was a lie.
Walter: well Musashi was trying on the middle path
and failing =)
or maybe it was the best outcome.
Griffith: I still say he wins if Ito had drawn. =)
But, since he totally fooled Musashi, that doesn't really matter lol
Walter: probably -- but he didn’t =)
yeah
his not drawing was the winning strategy
Griffith: Yup.
Turned his handicap into a strength, opposite of Mushi.
Walter: i don’t think its actually farfetched that some of REAL's philosophy has seeped into Vagabond
Griffith: How's Inoue going to end this though? =)
I mean, even in 3 years.
Walter: dunno...
wel wasnt it 3 years 2 years ago?
Griffith: If Musashi grabs Ito's sword, he could be fighting Kojiro in the next episode.
Not now.
Inoue opened up a whole new can of worms.
My theory on how his style is good for creation, but not ceasing it. =)
Walter: i dunno
i think it could go either way
10 volumes.. or 1 =)
Griffith: Well, in my mind, this must be reconciled. =)
Unless Inoue wants to purposefully end it with a strike on Musashi's record.
Or if Musashi is going to conquer it internally, and thus challenge us to do it as well.
"I won, I am the greatest."
No, Ittosai kicked your ASS! =)
"You failure!"
Walter: the last shot of Itto looked pretty final to be
me
Griffith: Mushi: "But I reached enlightenment. :_("
"Ito won!"
I don't think so.
It could be, but there's nothing inherently final about it other than he was leaving the scene.
Walter: and he was leaving because...?
Griffith: I want more for selfish reasons, like getting inside his head a bit more.
Walter: because it was over. He won.
Griffith: Oh, you just want Ito to be the winner. =)
Walter: damn straight :crossarms:
Griffith: "Nope, I don't think there needs to be anymore."
Yeah, that last page in 307, looked final to me! >=D
THE END (motherfuckers!)
I don't even want Musashi to duel him again, I want him to treat Ito with the reverence he afforded Yagyu.
Walter: it'd be a one sided relationship I think
Griffith: I'll feel double gyped if he just somehow feels like he got over it in his mind.
"I think I know I could have won."
Pfffff
lol
"We need closure here!"
Case was pretty well closed. =)
Musashi was DUMPED
hard
Oh yeah
The other thing Musashi might have been referring to other than his leg that something was now wrong with.
Bad sentence, sorry.
His heat haze theory.
He says it again, but then makes that the Shigeru references.
the vague*
Walter: hang on. let me look at it again. its been a while since i saw the scene, maybe ill have a fresh perspective
Griffith: same here
I'm going from memory
Walter: yeah still makes no sense
to me at least.
but now, because of this, something ... is clearly wrong
Griffith: I have something.
Walter: the thing that I truly sought ... ..... ........................................
Griffith: After that, he mentions what he sought, and the wiggly thing.
Maybe he was pushing too hard for that.
Instead of going with his gut.
Trying too hard to be enlightened.
Love the fish BTW =)
Walter: yeah i hadn’t noticed them until just now
im going to go with Yagyu on this scene
"I dunno."
Griffith: Haha
Walter: the other portion is pretty straightforward
but those first few lines... just ... vague
Griffith: lol
Ito's part was.
That grin. =)
Walter: hahahaha
Griffith: Same one Musashi gave Kohei BTW
Walter: i meant the first part of their discussion
Griffith: After cutting him down, and Kohei returned an FR grin. =)
FU*
Walter: hmm...
Kohei lost his fingers too.
and at that moment abandoned the spiral
Griffith: Maybe Ito and Kohei are in the same support group.
Walter: it happened to Ito and he continued
Griffith: Ito: "Don't worry, I'mma get that Musashi!"
Yeah.
That's what I took away, relating to Musashi too.
There is no quitting.
He still lives by the sword.
However he can.
He found a way.
Walter: awesome
Griffith: It wasn't even an option.
Maybe that's what Musashi is getting from this too.
And that bizarre exchange with Yagyu.
I mean, that's why he was going to see him too.
"What's next?"
Walter: "Im done with you old man. Gonna find me a LIVE grandpa."
Griffith: Ito is more like Pa though.
That's another reason I want more.
Mushi cheated himself out of... meeting his idol.
Impressing him.
Being his peer.
Ito did not disappoint, the student did.

Berserkabond.jpg

Big week coming up! :carcus:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Current Episodes Thread

It's great! Almost the same day for their releases. I"m pretty sure is anothe well planned release so Miura and Inoue can go to Octoberfest.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Current Episodes Thread

I had a thought today about the so-called middle path Itakura mentioned back in ep 265.

"There are always crossroads inside the mind. The middle path is the best."

"If you're able to take the middle path, there would be no fight. Fighting would be unnecessary."

In the most recent ep, Musashi tried the middle path with Ittosai and still failed. I was thinking, what went wrong exactly? I think Musashi unintentionally spurred Ittosai on. The middle path here wasn't appeasement -- he ended up simply patronizing Ittosai and getting strategically owned.

But we've seen others who were able to perform feats like Itakura described above. Others, including Kami'Izumi Ise no Kami. Yeah, I know we've only seen this old man once, but he's the basis on which Yagyu's technique and philosophy are based, so he's no pushover. He was able to take down a hostile In'ei and Yagyu without killing them, and avoided the fight, creating friends instead. That's the middle path.

Or is that the HIGH path? :???:

Either way, I think Musashi has to learn other techniques of avoiding fights than his faux-neutrality with the circle. There's an art to this that he's not yet mastered, evident by his gruff personality. He's not yet capable of walking that path without more experience in dueling with words.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

We also have to take on Kami'Izumi Ise no Kami's age. Yagyu said he was already 50, when he encountered him. He must have had quite the time to master his way of the sword. I agree that Musashi tried to take the middle path, but is still not quite there yet. Is an improvement from his earlier self. I guess he's just started walking that middle path, but it's only the beginnning for our protagonist.

Griffith

Musashi's obviously conflicted, and this was one bad man to run into in that state, because he's not going to engage in philosophy and teach you some sweet sounding life lesson to uplift you when you're down... his is a lesson in pain! :guts:

I think Musashi's mistake was clearly that he was dealing with a different animal here where the middle path wasn't appropriate. This would have been the thing to do when he fought Den or against the Yoshioka, just walk away. Ito Ittosai isn't some "friend you haven't met" or lesser competition for Musashi to avoid, Musashi didn't have to worry about goading him into a fight or being merciful; on the contrary, Ittosai is every bit the opponent Musashi should have put everything he had against without regret. This was exactly the time and place for him NOT to have to worry about the middle path. Not that he applied it in this case, I think he was more having it both ways, he wasn't going to challenge Ittosai, but he wasn't going to walk away either, so he got burned for his half-measures.

http://www.itplanning.co.jp/vaga.html

vol.gif

282a.gif

282b.gif

休載opened for our real draw.
何卒as a thank you note for the series, so goes this one more realistic.
Chau Do I like that very quickly after this year.
Mr. T last night the staff had a stand in the village at around 3 this morning, "Forget the other pork!" Declared.
It was still in agony.

Takehiko Inoue

Uh, yeah.

I'm happy to see that it looks like we're coming right back to Musashi, and possibly more talk with he and Sekishusai, unless that's a chat happening between the parties at the Yagyu estate. Anyway, looks for sure like someone has discovered Musashi, whether it's just those innkeepers or someone else.

Top Bottom