New Viz editions

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Vagabond Volume 1 -- 2nd Edition? Can anyone confirm any differences?
My guess is that it's just being reissued under Viz' Signature series label, as opposed to just reprinting the original, out-of-date design of Volume 1. Compare the two with these two links: Original, Second edition.

The most noticable change is the new edition has 8 more pages, no clue what they are yet, and has slightly larger dimensions (8 x 5.7 VS 7.9 x 5.5). If it is indeed just being reprinted under the Signature label, we can expect a higher-quality cover, that'll have matching spines to the later editions... and not much else.

We would have heard about a REAL new edition through Inoue's website, since it would certainly hit Japan before the USA. I put in a query to Viz to explain the reissue, but I don't really expect a reply.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Any word back from them yet?

My two local bookstores only have 21-25 and nothing else that comes before that, so I haven't seen any of the second editions "in the flesh"...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nope. I didn't really expect any word back, unfortunately :judo:

But I can send another letter. :guts: This'll be like in Shawshank Redemption: "It only took 6 years..."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, Viz has definitely been doing a top-notch job. I like how the SFX here aren't even an issue. They're just perfectly blended in the art. They're truly "Masters of Meow." However, that being said, next question is... where the hell is Vol 26? It's been out in Japan since July.

BTW: It appears the Viz editions are ever-so slightly popular even in Japan (ranks 22,000th on Amazon.co.jp! :isidro:)

Uriel

I had the pleasure of meeting Volume 2 Second Edition yesterday.

I took some crappy pictures on my cell phone, but won't upload them unless the masses (Griff and Wally) decide they simply MUST see them. Basically, they're exactly what you'd expect. The spines are now the same, as is the "Viz Signature" logo at the top right hand corner of the volume. I'm glad I held off buying the earlier volumes, because now my shelves are going to look a darn sight healthier. I take back my comment about Viz being a collectors worst nightmare. I take it back in spades!

When I have money -- hah! -- I'll be sure to pick them up. That or put it on the old x-mas wish list with Sumi and Water :p

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
(Griffith_No_More here posting under my special Vagabond Inn-only account, maybe I should make "Griffith No More!" my custom title here? =)

My guess is there really is no difference unless they're upping the paper quality on the color pages or I don't know what, the only thing they could really do is change the printing or the translation; anyway, the extra pages are likely filler and ads, and the dimensions, at least as measured by amazon, vary between volume to volume anyway, some old releases being measured about the same or even larger than this second edition, so it's basically the same size. Unless we hear about some dramatic changes or improvements, I'll probably keep my "evolving" editions, typos and all.

Once again I'll point out though that Viz is going above and beyond, yet again doing with Vagabond what Dark Horse SHOULD be doing with Berserk.

Speaking of new Viz releases...

Jacket.aspx

Been out for about 5 days, check your local stores, but you can also find it at amazon and the like.

In other news, volume 25 cover image COMING SOON on the Viz official site. =)

Update: Borders wins, got mine.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that's just great. It was never announced on Viz's new releases, and here it is at stores. Well... it only took them 4 months =).

Griffith

Yeah, I just had a hunch after checking their site again and seeing nothing, then I check the book sites and see the 10/23/07 release, come to post that it'll be out soon, realize that was already days ago in mid-sentence, and hit the phones. I thought the same thing too; they publish the damn volume before they acknowledge they have the rights and plan to. Though we can't complain too much, I rather the book be available and the website never updated than the other way around, after all.

They're too busy working on the product itself to waste time updating their website. :carcus:

A mini review of my copy:

First, thinnest volume ever, only 19 comes close, and this is probably the first time the art has fared at least as well via scans as it does here, or to put it bluntly, the art doesn't look as detailed as the previous volumes, and that stands out a bit more in this format. I don't think this is a coincidence concerning the size of the volume, the subject matter, and the pace Inoue kept up, plus the style he's going for in the fight. From a printing standpoint, the Ink is deep and heavy, which could certainly be affecting the look of the art (though the style of this volume lends itself to that/demands it), high contrast, black blacks surounded by white, and yet on a couple of pages it's too faint and somewhat washed out (the ones with some the most impressive artwork in my volume, naturally). On a plus side, there's no cropping issues here like in some past volumes (25), everything is squared up on the page. Here's a new one, it smells bad. =) Again, I suspect the ink, I can literally taste it and feel it in my stomach, I can smell it on my fingertips an hour after I've put it back on the shelf. I smell it right now as I type this.

Viz also didn't translate the sutra Takuan reads; I was most curious how they were going to handle that part, and while I wasn't necessarily expecting a typical or literal translation, I was expecting them to do something to address it. They make no mention of why that entire portion isn't in English, if you didn't know what was happening before reading it, you wouldn't learn by looking at this edition. Though if you look in the glossary you can still find out about Takuan's book or that he shares his name with a radish; this information is readily available. Still, since I know what it is, I don't care (it's kind of cool to see as well).

All in all, compared to the previous volumes, this one kind of stinks... literally. That being said, this material is still still awesome to behold, if that makes sense after all this complaining. I'm just holding it to super picky standards 'cause, well, otherwise I'd just be gushing, and I'm sick to my stomach from the smell and it looks/feels more like half a volume, I want 27 too! :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Got my copy of Volume 26 today. Even without having seen a Vagabond volume in a while, I could tell right off it was smaller than normal. Not really sure why it was packaged that way, but, it's up to Inoue I guess. Anyway, the inking and print quality didn't seem off to me at all. I think Viz' stuff has gotten better over time, and now they're at their best. Hmm... and ya know... it DOES smell bad. Different from other volumes. Weird.

I think its worth buying this volume for the sole fact of the little sketch Inoue puts at the end of the first chapter. It got a hearty lol out of me :ganishka: It's just the kind of humor that's my style, and I definitely didn't expect it from Inoue. Good show old chap.

Volume 27's got a loooooong road before it hits the states.

Griffith

I wouldn't call it smaller (makes it sound like the dimensions have been reduced), it's just that the chapters are a lot shorter, which stands out even more because since 21 the volume lengths have been HUGE. It's also not a good sign, the last time volumes were this thin was the end of the Kojiro arc.

BTW, after a couple of weeks the smell has subsided a bit, though I am doing everything I can like propping it open outside, moving it from sun to shade, making sure it gets neither moisture damage nor fading, but I'll risk anything to burn out that potent chemical smell. It seriously affects my ability to enjoy the book as my review probably showed. =)

And yes, that first doodle is excellent. They're all rather poignant, though I kind of wish he'd kept up, or maybe resumes, the little pattern or series he began with the 10 swords though, maybe we could have even learned Fujiie's full name.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I definitely meant shorter, not smaller. And an additional note, the lack of the sutra Takuan reads really didn't affect me one way or the other. Though I agree Viz has been dropping the ball for YEARS on the appendix at the end of each volume. They could do some really awesome background histories of the characters, like they started to do in the early volumes, and abandoned.

I think the volume 26 appendix still details the origin of the "hozoin spear technique." Who the fuck cares anymore? That was nearly 20 volumes ago.

Griffith

vagaipc27.gif

Drops on the 29th (Pink!).

Meanwhile, Viz still doesn't acknowledge the fact that they've published volume 26, and even that cover image of 25 is still coming soon. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear it'll be in Japan soon. I guess that means another 2-3 months for us, but that's OK. As long as Viz keeps it up, I don't really care if they update their site, though it is a little frustrating.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just a question for a vagabond noob. Is there any way to buy all the viz volumes together or at least alot of them at once. The local bookstores only have the recent releases and I'm having a hard time getting them online at like amazon. Any easy way to buy volumes 1+. I read the first volumes at a friends house an loved it. I really want to get into it.

Griffith

Ah, nice to have a new vagabond in our midsts! :guts:

Anyway, I've bought Vagabond volumes from multiple sources (Borders, amazon, ebay, etc.) but it's always been volume to volume as they were available. I can relate to your problem though, I was entertaining ordering about six volumes in bulk from amazon as birthday gift, and I remember it was a pain in the ass because the search/availability options and prices were strangely awkward and uneven. I ended up not doing it, but with some effort I was able to get the volumes I wanted in the cart in the same order, it was just too expensive. I don't know where you'd find a set deal except on ebay...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Viz+Vagabond

Nothing ready made, but try emailing seller "toylet-collectibles" under one of their Vagabond sales there. I know, TOILET COLLECTIBLES, an unfortunate name, but I've done business with them before. They offer to combine shipping, so see what kind of deal you can get buying multiple volumes in bulk from them.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
eBay is definitely your cheapest option. Ive had good experience ordering from Viz directly, but recently their store (and site) took a turn for the worse, and only offer a handful of volumes. That's pretty shitty.

Oburi

All praise Grail
nice , alright thanks guys I'm deff doing that. Nice Christmas gift for myself. Vagabond did look really cool but I wasn't sure if I should buy it. Then I came back to this site and saw this section dedicated to it so now I'm thinking I should absolutely read it. I'll check back in once I start reading.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
So Im probably gonna start collecting this series if I like the first 2 volumes because I need to get into more manga besides Berserk that hasnt finished yet like Akira, Dragon Ball and for the most part Hellsing. But was wondering are the Viz Signature good releases and translations?

Griffith

I've never had a problem with them, the paper and print quality is excellent overall, and the translations are smooth and accessible. All mine are first editions though, so I don't know what these re-releases are like, but I imagine they would fix little things like some of the few typos and such that creep into any work like this.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Just bought the first 3 volumes. Man what a awsome read it was, now I gotta get the other 24+? volumes. Though I whish the Denshichirō fight didnt end the way it did but no one wanted to get burned so...Anyways I hope the next 3 are as good as the first 3. Though I hope I get to see more of a relationship gather between Otsū and Musashi

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The series definitely gets progressively better. Those early 3 stand out as a little awkward compared to the later work.

Griffith

Yeah, the first two really stick out as they're basically pared down adaptations of the early part of the book, but with volume 3 onward Inoue takes the keys from Yoshikawa, goes for a joy ride, and makes it his own.

Uriel

My Birthday is coming up..

... so once again I've made a point of asking for new editions of earlier volumes so that I can put them on my overstocked shelf and feel proud. But what are the chances of me getting them? Slim to none.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
My Birthday is coming up..

... so once again I've made a point of asking for new editions of earlier volumes so that I can put them on my overstocked shelf and feel proud. But what are the chances of me getting them? Slim to none.
Uriel, you're reminding me of every Christmas for the past several years :judo:

Has anyone seen a date for volume 27 getting released by Viz? I know they've recently been notoriuos for not updating their website with new dates... If Volume 26's release was any indication, 27 should follow about 4 months after the Japanese release, which I believe was in late November.

Top Bottom