Gatts, Gatsu, Guts etc....

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
yo, this is a stupid topic but anyways....

Everybody have different way of spelling Gatts name. Is it Gattsu, Gatts, Guts etc...

Can anyone set the record stright.?

eintrigga

Today's Yamaba?
oh sweet mother of god, this topic has been ravaged way too many times -- see BSOM

but, correct me if i'm wrong, the official name is Guts (or the outcome of that topic). even walter had to bend to that.

eh, allow me to refer to a statement i made on Ice's MB regarding this topic:

...Miura spells it Guts and by God, if Miura spells it Guts im spelling it Guts. i really dont know why people still argue this. by saying his name isnt Guts, youre saying that Miura, the series' creator, has no idea what he's talking about and thats just plain silly...

eh, allow me to refer to a statement i made on Ice's MB regarding this topic:

Look at how he spells Griffith`s name. I love Miura and those wacky Japanese people, but they really have no fucking idea how to spell things in English or in any other non asian language.

yeah..."Guriffith", but wasnt that only on one thing? i dunno, but might as well stick with Guts. he cant be THAT far off can he?

Yeah, but I really can`t write his name down as Guts because then I keep thinking of him as being that Mega Man villain Guts Man. Why the hell did they call him Guts Man anyway?

Chinmi

I always thought his name is pronouced as Gatts because it looks like an old English name but I guess the word guts is suitable, hence the meaning of the word guts.

puella

Berserk forever
thanks for clarifying that for us.......................

EDIT: how the hell did Slam Dunk get in this discussion??
oh I dropped "u" -Suramu Danku
emm~ maybe "slam dunk" always gives me a fine shooting. :p

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
His name is Guts. Just to set the record straight his name is Guts. It says Guts in the artbooks, It says Guts in Foil lettering on the Art of War Statues. Miura calls his creation Guts. That should be good enough for all of us. But one pet peeve I have is people calling him Gutsu >:(. He's not Japanese. Especially the American DreamCast Game says his name is "Gutsu but Guts to his friends". Makes me sick. I mean I can Understand people calling him Gatts due to the Fansubs floating around. But still they should call him by his name. Also while we are at it it's Zoddo not Zodd or Zotto.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
And it's "Casca". ^^
no olivier, it's kyasuka. and guriffissu. >:(
just joking... i need this every once in a while. ;)

seriously, i don't think Miura called him "guts" because he wanted to express the protagonist's exceptional courage. I'd say he didn't think about that.

i don't know accurately about miura intention, but in the 6-page interview in the german edition of vol. one he said that he decided for that name shortly before starting with volume one. He intended to give him a rough, german-sounding name.
He also mentioned that there are thousands of euphonious and cool names for a hero, but he didn't want that.
well, that's all i can say.

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
no olivier, it's kyasuka. and guriffissu.    >:(
just joking... i need this every once in a while.    ;)

seriously, i don't think Miura called him "guts" because he wanted to express the protagonist's exceptional courage. I'd say he didn't think about that.

i don't know accurately about miura intention, but in the 6-page interview in the german edition of vol. one he said that he decided for that name shortly before starting with volume one. He intended to give him a rough, german-sounding name.
He also mentioned that there are thousands of euphonious and cool names for a hero, but he didn't want that.

Yeah, he's sure doesn't want that. He said he wanted to blurr the lines between good and evil. He wanted to make Guts unlikable during the "Lost Children" Arc. Which to some I have talked to said he's to obssessed. But Giving Guts a heroic name wouldn't work.

Also while we are at it it's Zoddo not Zodd or Zotto.

And it's "Casca". ^^

I was never sure about Casca or Zoddo. Cas(c/k)a with a "c" doesn't make much of a difference to me because I don't know enough about transliteration but Zoddo just doesn't sound right, almost Japanese. Is that the correct name for an English speaking audience?

Chinmi

I think there is a special meaning behind the name Grith (excuse my spelling).

In myths, that word is used to describe a part hawk, part lion beast but I don't know if Muira knew that when he created that character.

eintrigga

Today's Yamaba?
I think there is a special meaning behind the name Grith (excuse my spelling).

In myths, that word is used to describe a part hawk, part lion beast but I don't know if Muira knew that when he created that character.  

you're thinking of "griffin", which is incidently (?) similar to the name "griffith"

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Does it matter? I mean, they still sound the same. It's like here in sweden... do I spell my middle name Elisabeth, Elizabeth, Elisabet... or? Who really cares? I admit that it's probably Guts, but... hell, I have gotten so used to Gatts. The same with Casca/Caska... *ponders* I honestly don't know which one I use... hehe, probably both.

*grins* ;D

Miura said he did (in the Berserk Illustrations FIle interview).
It looks like that was a _partial_ translation of the interview mentioned above... ^^;
Miura said he named him "Guts" because the manga was first supposed to be a shônen manga. And in shônen manga, "guts" is an important term (it's often seen in "English"... if you played Shiritsu Justice Gakuen, which is some kind of a digest/parody of the whole mainstream '70/'80 shônen manga, you've probably read it more than once ^^ ).
So, the name _did_ come from the English word "guts".
And yeah, he said he wanted "german-like sounds", but he didn't say "a German name"... He also said he heard _afterwards_ that there was a German word meaning "cat" that was close, but he said it was a mere coincidence.

Besides, it's _always_ spelled "Guts". Except on _two_ telecards where the name is "Gats". It's not really hard do tell which one is supposed to be the correct one...

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Miura said he did (in the Berserk Illustrations FIle interview).
It looks like that was a _partial_ translation of the interview mentioned above... ^^;
you mean the interview i mentioned (from the german edition) is a part taken out of another interview? which one? the b.i. file interview?
Miura said he named him "Guts" because the manga was first supposed to be a shônen manga. And in shônen manga, "guts" is an important term (it's often seen in "English"... if you played Shiritsu Justice Gakuen, which is some kind of a digest/parody of the whole mainstream '70/'80 shônen manga, you've probably read it more than once ^^ ).
i am sorry i don't know what a shônen manga is... :-[
So, the name _did_ come from the English word "guts".
And yeah, he said he wanted "german-like sounds", but he didn't say "a German name"... He also said he heard _afterwards_ that there was a German word meaning "cat" that was close, but he said it was a mere coincidence.
er... i didn't say "a german name", i said a german-sounding name in the above post, so why do you correct this?
and he said exactly the same thing about the "cat coincidence".
so did miura say in an interview that he called him "Guts" because of the link to the word "courage", or didn't he?
I don't know, since that part is left out in the interview that i read.
Besides, it's _always_ spelled "Guts". Except on _two_ telecards where the name is "Gats". It's not really hard do tell which one is supposed to be the correct one...
It's also spelled Gatts and even Gatz on two different anime fansubs. and it's spelled Gatsu at the HK DVD set subs, and at the official soundtrack release.

don't get me wrong, i'm pretty sure that his name is Guts, i'm just talking about what i've seen so far.

Top Bottom