The Way He Went By Himself...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Miyamoto Musashi said:
The Way I Go By Myself

1. I never act contrary to traditional morality.
2. I have no partiality for anyone or anything.
3. I never try to snatch a moment of ease.
4. I think little of myself but much of the public.
5. I am entirely free of acquisitiveness throughout my life.
6. I never regret what I have done.
7. I never envy others for their good luck, or on account of my ill luck.
8. I never grieve at parting from anyone or anything at whatever time.
9. I never reproach either myself or others; never complain about myself or others.
10. I never dream of falling in love with a woman.
11. Likes and dislikes, I have none.
12. Whatever my dwelling house may be, I take no objection to it.
13. I never desire dainty food for myself.
14. I never have antique objects or curios in my posession.
15. I never perform purification or observe abstinence to protect myself against evils.
16. I have no taste for implements of any kind, excepting swords and other arms.
17. I would never grudge my life in the cause of righteousness.
18. I never wish to have any estate that would make my old age comfortable.
19. I worship Gods and Buddhas, but never think of depending on them.
20. I would sooner lay down my life than disgrace my good name.
21. Never for a moment does my heart and soul stray from the way of swordsmanship.

The 12th day of the 5th month, the 2nd year of Shoho (May 12, 1645) Shinmen Musashi

So, how many of you think you could live by these 21 tenants Musashi claimed to live his life by? Like most of the rest of you, I'm probably fucked at #1, and certainly at #2, and it only gets worse from there (I think my favorite has to be #11 =). Anyway, living up to these would sure be a lonely life as advertised, and considering #10, what do you think Musashi would think of the character of Otsu in relation to him, especially in Inoue's portrayal when he's literally dreaming of her? Although, he won't even talk to her when he sees her... I guess that's a good thing. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think the vast majority of these are good goals to set for yourself, even if not for so specific a reason as the the way of the sword. However, they're certainly in contrast with our society today. I mean, christ, #2 and #11 are stated so simply, as if in passing, but I can't think of anyone besides monks who currently aspire to those goals. Times have changed. It's really a whole different perspective on life.

It's kind of embarrassing, but after reading Tokitsu's account of Musashi's life, along with his personal writings like these, I always reflect on him when I need help making a decision, or on how to approach a situation. It's actually helped in most instances. "What would Mushi do here?"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an earlier iteration Musashi wrote that eventually became the value list Griff posted. This is in the Scroll of Earth in Gorin no Sho:
1. Think of that which is not evil.
2. Train in the way.
3. Take an interest in all the arts.
4. Know the way of all professions.
5. Know how to appreciate the advantages and disadvantages of each thing.
6. Learn to judge the quality of each thing.
7. Perceive and understand that which is not visible from the outside.
8. Be attentive, even to minimal things.
9. Do not perform useless acts.
#4 kills me... However, it's echoed throughout even Vagabond, there's a universal Way to all things. "All is one."

All of these points though reflect another, larger goal of Musashi's that's dominant in all works relating to him: becoming a genuine, or complete human being. It's the essence of what In'ei, Kami'izumi, Yagyu and Koetsu have already attained, and what Musashi is on the path to becoming. I've always seen these goals as ways to achieve that end.

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
Only in a perfect world, I think. They're nice standards to try and live by, but in our modern world you'd just alienate yourself from others. Number 13 is kind of curious to me though. Dainty food, does that mean like delicacies and sweets and stuff?

Griffith

Billybob said:
Only in a perfect world, I think. They're nice standards to try and live by, but in our modern world you'd just alienate yourself from others.

Well, it is The Way I Go By Myself. I'm sure it was just as good for alienating people in his time as our own. :guts:

Billybob said:
Number 13 is kind of curious to me though. Dainty food, does that mean like delicacies and sweets and stuff?

It just means don't be a picky eater. Dob't desire food for anything beyond energy, or basically, don't even think about enjoying the taste of food! It doesn't necessarily rule out eating dainty food though (or the act of enjoying it at the time), fortunately. It's similar to the one about not caring about ones abode; be ready to eat anything for nourishment, without preference in mind.

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
You're right, I probably should have realized that from the start. And thanks for the information on number 13. I get what it means now, the word dainty just sounded out of place to me, I guess. Thanks.

Not to say any thing bad about the guy. But I just sat here and thought to myself. What would it be like to talk to this guy? The result wasn't positive. I don't know if he chooses these things to remain pure or independent. But I can't really imagine what personality he would consist of. Not to favor any thing. Not to have any "focused" emotion on to himself/objects/other people. I mean, it would be hard to relate to things with him. Good food. Advice. Things he would prefer. To be so independent of all things and yet remain in the same place with all things. It would be hard to live the way he did. If he truly did. I can't say. I never met him. But to live by all things. It would be hard to imagine how it would shape a man. He would be in consistant change.

Griffith

Well, I don't want to say anything about about him either, but these things are easier said than done, and I'm sure he had his moments where exceptions were made. Though he was probably also more the type to be this way naturally (he did choose to spend his last remaining years living in a cave =), it probably still took a lifetime to properly observe them.

Of the list Griffith presented.. in my own life I actually do numbers 2,7,8,9, and 15. I wonder if anyone else in our community live by any of these. :daiba:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Wow this is cool. I'm new to Vagabond (currently readin book two) but this makes me want to really get deeper into this series. Very interesting stuff.

While reading through the list, I found I already follow some of these tenants. I have a wierd life right now anyway. I live on my own, make little money, and don't have many close friends. But I do meet lot's of people at work, see live bands, and have a lot of social interaction. I have a great girlfriend who I can see myself spending the rest of my life with, even though we are currently "fighting" and it sucks!!! But some of these tenants are like rules I already promised myself I would follow and others I just sort have told myself I would try to follow because I think it might help. Well that a personal enough post. Sorry, I've been weird recently.

I wish I was born in feudal Japan.

Top Bottom